The Undying
    15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Endus View Post
    Even law profs? "Doctor" is the pretty standard apellation for anyone with a doctorate. I've never been in even pre-med, but almost all my profs were "Dr. So-and-so" (the few exceptions being professionals with a lot of experience who were teaching some more practically-oriented seminars).
    Not even law professors - typically, law professors have their JD (obviously) and then their Masters of Law (LLM), which is a post JD degree, specializing in a focused area of law (torts, intellectual property, etc.). Law school professors are typically referred to as "professor", or other academic designation - but to my knowledge and experience, never "doctor". While the J.D. is literally Juris Doctoral, it doesn't carry with it the title "Doctor" - we get other, special titles, "attorney, lawyer, esquire".

It's definitely a weird amalgamation of words and titles mixed in with history, but honestly, what else would you expect from the legal profession. We carved out our special snowflake designation centuries ago.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Masark View Post
    Despite the name, a JD is actually a baccalaureate level degree, equivalent to what is usually called a Bachelor of Laws (LLB) up here.

The Dr. So-and-so degree is a Doctor of Juridical Science (JSD) or a PhD in law, depending on the institution.
    The United States' degree of JD is not a baccalaureate level degree. It is a very difficult three year graduate degree, higher in equivalency than even a Masters Degree (which is typically a 1-2 year degree).

The JD degree in the United States is Juris Doctoral. In other countries, however, the law degree is a bachelor's level degree, like history or other such subjects.

The United States stole the British system of law (except for Louisiana, which uses the French version of law), and then morphed it into the shitstorm it currently resides.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by cubby View Post
    It's definitely a weird amalgamation of words and titles mixed in with history
    I mean, what do you expect from a profession that still uses Latin.

On topic: remember when Trump was asking when the FBI was going to raid Biden? Turns out, the answer was "they already did, fatass."

FOX News hands me another CNN point by posting that, yes, the FBI did in fact search the Penn Center where Biden worked, shortly after the first documents were found. And that was mid-November.

"Why are we just learning about this now?"

Because it's largely irrelevant? No warrant was demanded, the FBI professionally and thoroughly checked the place, then went home. The FBI isn't typically in the business of announcing that sort of thing, so the fact that we're just now learning about it shows how little anyone cared about a non-story.

"Did you just cite FOX News citing CBS News to get a free CNN point?"

There will be no further questions!

So, this can go in either the Trump thread or Biden thread as it involves both of them, however it talks more about Biden and the classified documents from an actual lawyer.

10+ Year Old Account
    FBI searches Biden's Rehobeth home.

"What? Biden left documents there?"

No.

"Why are they searching it?"

To be thorough, to be fair, to show they're taking this seriously, and of course because Biden is basically begging them to just to prove a point to Fatass McDonalds Trump.

Quote Originally Posted by Breccia View Post
    FBI searches Biden's Rehobeth home.

"What? Biden left documents there?"

No.

"Why are they searching it?"

To be thorough, to be fair, to show they're taking this seriously, and of course because Biden is basically begging them to just to prove a point to Fatass McDonalds Trump.
    Worth noting: Biden has been fully cooperating with this, and there was no advanced warning of this search.

This is being done by the book and isn't requiring subpoena's and legal battles.

20 years ago characters of "Friends" were mocking Ross for calling himself Doctor ( Paleonthology) and it amused me because I was working on mine at the time and now I see that US political discussion have reached two decades ago sit-com level. Congrats to Megyn Kelly and all the retards who don't know what Doctor means.

Quote Originally Posted by PrimiOne View Post
    20 years ago characters of "Friends" were mocking Ross for calling himself Doctor ( Paleonthology) and it amused me because I was working on mine at the time and now I see that US political discussion have reached two decades ago sit-com level. Congrats to Megyn Kelly and all the retards who don't know what Doctor means.
    Really, it's only Republicans and conservatives that give a shit about this.

Mostly because they have like, 3-4 "jokes" at any given time and just continue repeating them because they're hilarious the 5,000,000th time you've heard them too. Babylon Bee has made a whole-ass website out of retelling the same few jokes and they're pretty popular in conservative circles.

- - - Updated - - -

https://amp.cnn.com/cnn/2023/02/01/p...oth/index.html

Speaking of searches

The FBI has completed its search of President Joe Biden's Rehoboth Beach, Delaware, home and no documents with classified markings were found, according to a source familiar with the matter.
    Boy, that was fairly quick and easy.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Edge- View Post
    That is and will remain the difference. At this point, the DoJ has now looked at, I think, every home and every office Biden's ever used. The DoJ hasn't even searched all of Mar-a-Lago, let alone all of Trump's other properties and workplaces.

10+ Year Old Account
    https://amp.cnn.com/cnn/2023/02/01/p...oth/index.html

Speaking of searches

Is Biden even the real president if he doesn't steal stacks of classified documents to sell to foreign adversaries?

15+ Year Old Account
    Not sure exactly which thread this should go in, but oh well,

https://talkingpointsmemo.com/news/v...-george-santos

It appears Santos's top staffer was in the center of the Biden laptop origin story.

Working on the show gave Burra a front-row seat as Bannon and Rudy Giuliani acquired a laptop that had belonged to then-candidate Joe Biden’s son, Hunter Biden. Burra has said he served as a “navigator” and used past experience as a software professional to make copies of the laptop as Bannon and Giuliani gave the data to reporters and others in an effort to generate stories criticizing the Biden family’s foreign business dealings and Hunter’s substance abuse. In his conversation with TPM, Burra described the episode as “one of my most proudest projects and accomplishments.”

His time on Bannon’s “War Room” also connected Burra with leading figures on the MAGA right including Rep. Matt Gaetz (R-FL). Last April, after Gaetz placed a copy of the laptop into the congressional record, he had Burra on his own podcast to talk about the laptop affair.
    Some pieces are starting to fall into place, mainly why Santos was even going to be on a committee in the first place. Who wants to bet that Santos was going to magically "find" some emails on what is now utterly tainted Hunter Laptop copies?
    2014 Gamergate: "If you want games without hyper sexualized female characters and representation, then learn to code!"
    2023: "What's with all these massively successful games with ugly (realistic) women? How could this have happened?!"

Quote Originally Posted by Cthulhu 2020 View Post
    Not sure exactly which thread this should go in, but oh well,

https://talkingpointsmemo.com/news/v...-george-santos

It appears Santos's top staffer was in the center of the Biden laptop origin story.

Some pieces are starting to fall into place, mainly why Santos was even going to be on a committee in the first place. Who wants to bet that Santos was going to magically "find" some emails on what is now utterly tainted Hunter Laptop copies?
    Santos seems very well connected with the fringe right like this from what I can tell. Which explains a lot, and also fits some puzzle pieces with the DoJ investigation following the FEC and the potential for his campaign simply being used to defraud people and launder a lot of money. All things that the extreme right, especially folks like Bannon, are deeply involved with. Remember the "We Build The Wall" shit Bannon was involved with?

15+ Year Old Account
    Santos seems very well connected with the fringe right like this from what I can tell. Which explains a lot, and also fits some puzzle pieces with the DoJ investigation following the FEC and the potential for his campaign simply being used to defraud people and launder a lot of money. All things that the extreme right, especially folks like Bannon, are deeply involved with. Remember the "We Build The Wall" shit Bannon was involved with?
    More than anything, I'm betting the Russia rot runs deep. While it's not entirely impossible to believe that all of these malicious actors in our own government are just randomly malicious terminally online alt right trolls, it seems far more likely that they're Russian funded nobodies, considering how many of them like MTG had very mediocre middle class earnings then suddenly came into a lot of money magically.

They're looking into Santos's contributions and payments for a bogus florida trip where he reported paying a diner $199.99 six times (among numerous other wild and unbelievable "expoenses"). Unshockily, the diner found no record of his meals or payments. If we looked into the Trump caucus that appeared overnight, I wonder how many also have bogus business trips and laundered Russian money?

This is what happens when we don't scrutinize people's finances closely and allow them to hold public office. All of the legislation dropped over the last few decades that legalizes lobbying and limitless campaign donations have opened the floodgates to external foreign influence. IF anything, I foresee America needing to have a truly large "scare" when it comes to our politics before we start heavily scrutinizing how government officials get their money. If we're even able to recover from such a thing.
    2014 Gamergate: "If you want games without hyper sexualized female characters and representation, then learn to code!"
    2023: "What's with all these massively successful games with ugly (realistic) women? How could this have happened?!"

More than anything, I'm betting the Russia rot runs deep. While it's not entirely impossible to believe that all of these malicious actors in our own government are just randomly malicious terminally online alt right trolls, it seems far more likely that they're Russian funded nobodies, considering how many of them like MTG had very mediocre middle class earnings then suddenly came into a lot of money magically.

They're looking into Santos's contributions and payments for a bogus florida trip where he reported paying a diner $199.99 six times (among numerous other wild and unbelievable "expoenses"). Unshockily, the diner found no record of his meals or payments. If we looked into the Trump caucus that appeared overnight, I wonder how many also have bogus business trips and laundered Russian money?

This is what happens when we don't scrutinize people's finances closely and allow them to hold public office. All of the legislation dropped over the last few decades that legalizes lobbying and limitless campaign donations have opened the floodgates to external foreign influence. IF anything, I foresee America needing to have a truly large "scare" when it comes to our politics before we start heavily scrutinizing how government officials get their money. If we're even able to recover from such a thing.
    I'm less inclined to think Russian involvement and much more inclined to think this is simply just right wing criminality and grifting. But we're getting off-topic for the Biden thread so probably better to continue this in the Santos thread.

Either way, it sure is curious how some of the same names keep popping up coincidentally.

- - - Updated - - -

https://www.cbsnews.com/news/hunter-...iani-fox-news/

I guess this fits here, but -

Hunter Biden's legal team went on the offensive Wednesday, demanding state and federal investigations into the dissemination of material from his laptop, and threatening a defamation lawsuit against Fox News' Tucker Carlson for allegedly failing to correct false statements.

Attorneys for Hunter Biden called for Delaware Attorney General Kathy Jennings and U.S. Assistant Attorney General for National Security Matthew G. Olsen to launch investigations into the actions of former computer repair shop owner John Paul Mac Isaac, former Trump advisers Rudy Giuliani and Stephen Bannon, their attorney Robert Costello and others "for whom there is considerable reason to believe violated various Delaware laws in accessing, copying, manipulating, and/or disseminating Mr. Biden's personal computer data."
    Boy it's going to be fun if people start getting deposed and have to answer questions under oath, because it's long seemed like there's some criminally fishy shit going on around this supposed laptop dropped off to a legally blind computer repair tech who can't even confirm that Hunter Biden dropped off the laptop.

15+ Year Old Account
    https://www.cbsnews.com/news/hunter-...iani-fox-news/

I guess this fits here, but -

Boy it's going to be fun if people start getting deposed and have to answer questions under oath, because it's long seemed like there's some criminally fishy shit going on around this supposed laptop dropped off to a legally blind computer repair tech who can't even confirm that Hunter Biden dropped off the laptop.
    Oh no, you mean Republicans will have to cook up another "October surprise" for 2024, when they've probably been working on plots to "reveal" "key information" gleaned from the Hunter Biden laptop for years? Man, sucks for them. Bet they had a bunch of "big reveals" all ready to drop during the 2024 election cycle. Vladdy daddy not gonna be too happy when he hears this.

Oh no, you mean Republicans will have to cook up another "October surprise" for 2024, when they've probably been working on plots to "reveal" "key information" gleaned from the Hunter Biden laptop for years? Man, sucks for them. Bet they had a bunch of "big reveals" all ready to drop during the 2024 election cycle. Vladdy daddy not gonna be too happy when he hears this.
    Mostly, I'm just deeply amused seeing Hunter turn their tactics against them and go on the offense.

Republicans are very used to being the ones on offense, they rarely even attempt to play defense. So it'll be interesting to see if this goes anywhere, and if it does how conservative politicians and/or media personalities/outlets that have been involved will handle playing defense.

15+ Year Old Account
    Mostly, I'm just deeply amused seeing Hunter turn their tactics against them and go on the offense.

Republicans are very used to being the ones on offense, they rarely even attempt to play defense. So it'll be interesting to see if this goes anywhere, and if it does how conservative politicians and/or media personalities/outlets that have been involved will handle playing defense.
    It's the right thing to do. Democrats need to get FAR out in front of this Hunter Biden thing, because it's sounding like Hillary's Emails part Deux redux. It failed them in 2020, but they seem to want to milk it for all they can. The fact that Santos's top aide was at the center of the Biden laptop nontroversy is extremely suspect, considering Santos himself basically came out of nowhere with wads of Russian cash.

Get way out in front of the Hunter laptop story, release everything and make it clear what was found, give Republicans all the opportunities to review things that were found, sanction any Republican attempts at claiming "new" files were found with questionable sources later.

- - - Updated - - -

https://www.politicususa.com/2023/02...medium=twitter

Hunter Biden’s legal team is going straight for the heart of the GOP’s laptop scandal by calling for investigations into the computer repair shop owner, Rudy Giuliani, and others involved with the potentially illegally tampered with device.

CBS News reported:

Hunter Biden’s legal team went on the offensive Wednesday, demanding state and federal investigations into the dissemination of his personal material — purported to be from his laptop — and threatening a defamation lawsuit against Fox News’ Tucker Carlson for allegedly failing to correct false statements.

Attorneys for Hunter Biden called for Delaware Attorney General Kathy Jennings and U.S. Assistant Attorney General for National Security Matthew G. Olsen to launch investigations into the actions of former computer repair shop owner John Paul Mac Isaac, former Trump advisers Rudy Giuliani and Stephen Bannon, their attorney Robert Costello and others “for whom there is considerable reason to believe violated various Delaware laws in accessing, copying, manipulating, and/or disseminating Mr. Biden’s personal computer data.”

There have been concerns for years among intelligence officials and other experts that Hunter Biden’s laptop was manipulated. There is evidence that multiple people accessed it and that files were added to it after it left Mr. Biden’s possession.
    GOOD. Get their asses. Hamstring their failed attempt at more political theater.

lowest unemployment since 1969 3.4% latest jobs report shows still not in a recession despite gop openly wanting one and working to cause one with their upcoming cuts
    working class still voting for them because drag brunch though
    oh and chinese balloon now thats their flavor of the week were not nuking china over it.
    Last edited by arandomuser; 2023-02-03 at 02:09 PM.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by arandomuser View Post
    because drag brunch
    Santos has his own thread.

But yes, good grab with the unemployment report. 517,000 new jobs added absolutely helped.

Just so people are clear: if, magically, Biden added 517k new jobs/month for every month for four years -- that would require time travel of course -- that would be 24 million jobs and change. Trump promised 25 million new jobs while campaigning, and people believed him.

Quote Originally Posted by UnifiedDivide View Post
    I saw a few comments briefly, basically demanding Biden shoot the "floating nuke" down lol

Don't think MTG said this, but no surprise she's the one going hardest on it.
    its so funny they are making blowing up the balloon a weird culture war thing, when senior military leaders 1. say its probably not giving them any useful intel and not worth risking civilian deaths from debris and 2. im sure intact they might be able to gain some useful counter intelligence vs blowing it up. but no of course gop says biden is actually pro china..... even though he literaly said were going to intervene in taiwan which not even trump said and was praising xi into covid until he had to deflect his bad approval ratings

Quote Originally Posted by arandomuser View Post
    its so funny they are making blowing up the balloon a weird culture war thing, when senior military leaders 1. say its probably not giving them any useful intel and not worth risking civilian deaths from debris and 2. im sure intact they might be able to gain some useful counter intelligence vs blowing it up. but no of course gop says biden is actually pro china..... even though he literaly said were going to intervene in taiwan which not even trump said and was praising xi into covid until he had to deflect his bad approval ratings
    This is assuming it's actually a spy balloon which, while prudent to treat it like one as a worst-case type scenario, I'm skeptical on still since I haven't seen full confirmation of that yet. Could very well simply be some university weather balloon for taking measurements and shit.

Either way, yeah. If military/intelligence officials don't think there's any real risk of it even if it is a spy balloon so far and are fine leaving it up there that's cool. They know a shitload about this kind of thing and have a shitload more information about it than I do.