Page 1 of 2
LastLast
    Field Marshal
    10+ Year Old Account

Tailoring in SL's - Could it cost Millions?

So lots of vids are commenting on the volumes of materials required for crafting professions.
    I SPECULATED on what might be the cost of the Tailoring legendary crafts - and the results were pretty jaw-dropping....

To craft a Rank 4 Grim-Veiled would cost in the region of €50,000G but to REACH Rank 4 it would cost c.900,000G PER ITEM meaning to be able to craft Rank 4 on all the Cloth Legendary items would cost 7 Million Gold.

My assumptions were;
    1. Shrouded Cloth costs 45g
    2. Lightless Silk costs 95g
    3. Soul dust costs 50g
    4. Orboreal Shard's costs 250g
    Implicitly I have assumed drop rates are equivalent to BFA type drop rates - of course with the volumes of material required this couls mean higher upward pressure on materials costs?

Of course my calcs might have errors but wanted to push this out in case other crafters have done similar calcs.

Whats firghtening is that Blacksmithing crafts are normally a multiple of tailoring !

So perhaps this is a bit of a gold-sink for early game and then they will dramatically reduce volumes required (Anchor Weed 2?)

Blizzard really need to implement a way to offset the cost and also implement a way of getting rid of the items I make other than just deleting them as I make them. Maybe one day.

So, you assumed some totally random nonsense prices for the materials in order to make a forum thread?

Quote Originally Posted by Pawpurr View Post
    So, you assumed some totally random nonsense prices for the materials in order to make a forum thread?
    I'd say it's accurate for launch. Mat prices are always insane at the start and now that legendaries are involved, even more so than normal.
    Quote Originally Posted by Teriz View Post
    Except it would only be "textbook" confirmation bias if I fully believed that a third spec was actually coming.

Quote Originally Posted by Axyos View Post
    Blizzard really need to implement a way to offset the cost and also implement a way of getting rid of the items I make other than just deleting them as I make them. Maybe one day.
    They dont. Players need to stop thinking that they should be able to get everything.

Blizzard will likely reduce these mat costs in the next few weeks. Anyone who believes that should either be one of the first people on their servers to advance to Rank 3 and Rank 4 to make loads of money OR should hold off on aggressive crafting in order to take advantage of future crafting discounts.

What you don't want to be is in the middle - semi-aggressive crafting where you lose out on big profits to the first crafters but also waste a ton of money on materials when you could have just waited for the discounts.

Sadly, there's going to be a lot of people who fall into the "middling crafting trap" this expansion, wasting millions of gold, unless Blizzard discounts leggo crafting sooner than expected.

Not to hijack this, but how did professions end up panning out with Shadowlands? Is it going to be like the tweaks made in recent expansions with ranks? Are there any mats that are BOP/Cooldown crafted?

Quote Originally Posted by Yunzi View Post
    Sadly, there's going to be a lot of people who fall into the "middling crafting trap" this expansion, wasting millions of gold, unless Blizzard discounts leggo crafting sooner than expected.
    By "discounts" you mean, "reduces the amount of materials needed to craft" right? Cause they can do nothing about AH prices players set and buy at (well, they could but they don't). And those prices are going to be determined more by who's farming what and actually selling. If they get too high, people will just have to farm the mats for themselves and eventually the prices will start to drop.

Field Marshal
    10+ Year Old Account
    So ty for all the on-topic posts
    I see the Orboreal Shard is a vendor item, so have changed the cost to 125G - this slightly reduces costs - a RANK 4 costs an average 40,000G but reacing Rank 4 still requires an average cost of 750,000G and a total set cost of 7Million gold

It seems this may be a design matter, with Blizz forcing crafters to select just one item that they craft to Rank 4 - but having said that I have never seen an expansion where any individual crafted item required an investment of 750,000G to be able to craft
    I also suspect that the prices I am speculating are , if anything, too low given the enormous quantities of mats required

Quote Originally Posted by BuzzIrl View Post
    So ty for all the on-topic posts
    I see the Orboreal Shard is a vendor item, so have changed the cost to 125G - this slightly reduces costs - a RANK 4 costs an average 40,000G but reacing Rank 4 still requires an average cost of 750,000G and a total set cost of 7Million gold

It seems this may be a design matter, with Blizz forcing crafters to select just one item that they craft to Rank 4 - but having said that I have never seen an expansion where any individual crafted item required an investment of 750,000G to be able to craft
    I also suspect that the prices I am speculating are , if anything, too low given the enormous quantities of mats required
    This reeks of bad math or assumed variables, not sure where you're getting these prices
    Unf - Night Watch - Pagle

Consider the ocean waves, and how the moon's force guides them this way and that across the earth's surface. Human life is an insane coincidence. We are an instance of the universe becoming conscious of itself, yes, old news but always worth review.

Going from this spreadsheet.

Gathering everything yourself there is is still a minimum cost price to get to rank four for crafting in those orboreal shards.

71250 gold for bracers and cape.
    93750 gold for belts, gloves,boots and shoulders.
    112500 for helm, pants and chest.

It's 15 crafts each rank and you're *not* guaranteed to sell them (sorry "just sell them" crowd). There is also the new 32 slot bags to compete in mats with if you're buying.

Field Marshal
    10+ Year Old Account
    Xentronium, ty for that post and Idd, ty to Manthieus for the excellent sheet - even his shows a SET cost of c3 Million gold and I suspect mat costs are too low due to the relatively huge quantities of mats compared to all prev XP's

On the issue of "selling cheap" - who is really going to by a Leggo below max level and invest all their sould ash in it? Very very few I expect so those Rank 1-3 items will be pretty worthless

The Unstoppable Force DeltrusDisc's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Axyos View Post
    Disenchant.

"A flower.
    Yes. Upon your return, I will gift you a beautiful flower."

"Remember. Remember... that we once lived..."

Quote Originally Posted by mmocd061d7bab8 View Post
    yeh but lava is just very hot water

Quote Originally Posted by Nynax View Post
    By "discounts" you mean, "reduces the amount of materials needed to craft" right? Cause they can do nothing about AH prices players set and buy at (well, they could but they don't). And those prices are going to be determined more by who's farming what and actually selling. If they get too high, people will just have to farm the mats for themselves and eventually the prices will start to drop.
    Blizzard controls both the amount of materials needed to craft and more importantly, the number of crafts of a Rank 1 through Rank 3 required to advance to the next rank. They can easily lower the number of crafts needed to advance to Rank 4 to lower the cost of doing so, regardless of what price crafters can sell the items for.

Blizzard wants to make it difficult to craft Rank 4s, to not flood the market with 235 ilev gear soon after launch. And boy, have they ever succeeded at designing a system that does just that. But the cost of doing so is rewarding rich players the ability to get Rank 3 and Rank 4 gear onto the auction house ASAP to get huge profits while the less than hugely rich players who want to compete on the market in the first few weeks of the expansion literally cannot afford to do so.
    Last edited by Yunzi; 2020-11-21 at 08:01 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Yunzi View Post
    Blizzard will likely reduce these mat costs in the next few weeks. Anyone who believes that should either be one of the first people on their servers to advance to Rank 3 and Rank 4 to make loads of money OR should hold off on aggressive crafting in order to take advantage of future crafting discounts.

What you don't want to be is in the middle - semi-aggressive crafting where you lose out on big profits to the first crafters but also waste a ton of money on materials when you could have just waited for the discounts.

considering the fact that they just INCREASED the mats needed last week, i wouldnt bet on it either way.

Field Marshal
    10+ Year Old Account
    @Yunzi that is what I am beginning to see now, but that is why i posed the question, could it be a goldsink for those people who could afford those Rank 4 costs? Blizz suck the gold from the very peeps that can afford it (hands up) and then before there is a rank 4 advantage they dramatically reduce the mat requirements for rank 4?

I guess the obvious answer is they COULD but my question is do you think that is their intention?

For example, in my SPECULATED prices it would cost c 700,000G to reach rank 4 in Mittens - how many rank 4 mittens could I sell to cover the rank 4 costs before Blizz reduce the mats volume required? Even as a unique equipped item, assuming best leggo slot, its unlikely too many peeps will pay over 150,000G for an early XP item, so now I gotta sell 5 to be in profit - not a good looking proposition

All-in-all, maybe its just a simple mechanic to stop peeps crafting Rank 4 leggos until blizz think they should be able to and reduce the mats volumes?

Quote Originally Posted by BuzzIrl View Post
    @Yunzi that is what I am beginning to see now, but that is why i posed the question, could it be a goldsink for those people who could afford those Rank 4 costs? Blizz suck the gold from the very peeps that can afford it (hands up) and then before there is a rank 4 advantage they dramatically reduce the mat requirements for rank 4?

I guess the obvious answer is they COULD but my question is do you think that is their intention?

For example, in my SPECULATED prices it would cost c 700,000G to reach rank 4 in Mittens - how many rank 4 mittens could I sell to cover the rank 4 costs before Blizz reduce the mats volume required? Even as a unique equipped item, assuming best leggo slot, its unlikely too many peeps will pay over 150,000G for an early XP item, so now I gotta sell 5 to be in profit - not a good looking proposition

All-in-all, maybe its just a simple mechanic to stop peeps crafting Rank 4 leggos until blizz think they should be able to and reduce the mats volumes?
    Players in high-end raiding guilds or those with ties to them can work out a deal - guildies tell you which Rank 4 leggos they want, they agree to buy them at a certain price, you then calculate the cost of raising to Rank 4, and it's then easy to calculate a profit breakpoint.

For the rest of us, we don't have a guaranteed market. Our demand is based on being the lowest priced seller, and we can do no more than guess at what price will sell on the AH at any given time. This is nothing like old Mounts for example that have years of pricing history. This is an entirely new thing. So it's extremely difficult to determine whether we should make the enormous investment of advancing a legendary item to Rank 4. Players who misguess can easily be out millions of gold.

10+ Year Old Account
    Aye of course things gonna be overpriced when i pull huge numbers out of my arse to calculate prices.
    Originally Posted by Blizzard Entertainment
    Crabs have been removed from the game... because if I see another one I’m just going to totally lose it. *sobbing* I’m sorry, I just can’t right now... I just... OK just give me a minute, I’ll be OK..

thats why you have 2 toons in kyrian using pelagos

Quote Originally Posted by Elias01 View Post
    They dont. Players need to stop thinking that they should be able to get everything.
    The point was you can sell the base items, recouping the good you spent on it...