Question Any idea if there will be a patch before Shadowlands is playable?

I mean like, on the 23rd? I got the expansion gifted to me, just wondering if there will be additional downloading because it takes about an hour to download 1 gb.

It's certainly possible, although nothing near the 1gb size. The small hotfixes they've been pushing out are usually only 100mb or so. There won't be anything to download in order to access SL content, everything's already in your game files all they need to do is flick the switch and the quest becomes active for anyone in SW/Org much like it has for the last 2 expansions.

If you're really concerned, just restart your client a couple hours before launch time and if there is anything you've missed it'll quickly download. There could be server queues depending on your timezone so I wouldn't be logging out in the 60-90 minutes before launch.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Rioriel View Post
    EU player. Not subbed. It's 3:30 pm here in the UK on Sunday 22 Nov, and I've just opened BattleNET and it's downloading about 3Gb since my last log-in on Tuesday.

I'd probably fire up the client now tbh mate.
    this ^^ as even if subbed or not Bnet will update your game if told to do so automatically. and iirc the background downloader for xpacs will download and install the game prior to release date, so if you have bandwidth issues or your ISP is really slow, get the ball rolling right now

9.0.2 patch was implemented last reset. But they can bring huge hotfix any moment. Even more, it's almost 100% there will be huge hotfix to download in first few hours after launch.

..how you even play this game if downloading 1GB takes you a hour?

Quote Originally Posted by Dracullus View Post
    9.0.2 patch was implemented last reset. But they can bring huge hotfix any moment. Even more, it's almost 100% there will be huge hotfix to download in first few hours after launch.

..how you even play this game if downloading 1GB takes you a hour?
    What does that have to do with playing? Packets are very small in size so a download speed of 100kb is enough to play without lag.

i think majority of files is already in the game... but they have been doing some hotfixes pretty much on a daily basis last few days, so it's pretty much possible there will be some after the SL starts.
    Now I hope they will be live hotfixes, cuz if you need to log out to apply the fix, there's gonna be hell on the way back logging in

Last few Expansions had a Start without the need to LogOut and LogIn, and or Patch.

Quote Originally Posted by LanToaster View Post
    Last few Expansions had a Start without the need to LogOut and LogIn, and or Patch.
    This, and there's no reason to expect otherwise here unless there's some disastrous bug.

This time not only will the expansion "just happen" but the PvP season rewards and conversion of honor to gold will "just happen" at the same moment.

There was a code patch yesterday the 21st with a build date of the 20th so that was probably the last last-minute bugfix and launch will likely happen perfectly smoothly.

There will 100% guaranteed be hot-fixes and might well be one or more restarts or quick-fix client updates for any major issues that arise in the first week of course.

If there's any patches, I would expect it to be made available during weekly maintenance.

The architecture is setup so that they can simply 'enable' access to new content seamlessly, which in turn triggers a series of events such as sending a hidden notification to game clients that the new content is available, and triggering a quest alert to let players know about the introduction quests.

I would suspect the game is currently entirely up to date with the launch.
    And a patch to enable to content hasn't been needed for several expansions now.
    It ignores such insignificant forces as time, entropy, and death

All data is in the game Blizzard just need to click open.

didnt they split the prepatch and the rest of shadowlands this time instead of the normal 1 patch has everything before launch?

so there might be a patch
    Anemo: traveler, Sucrose
    Pyro: Yanfei, Amber, diluc, xiangling, thoma, Xinyan, Bennett
    Geo: Noelle, Ningguang, Yun Jin, Gorou
    Hydro: Barbara, Zingqiu, Ayato
    Cyro: Shenhe, Kaeya, Chongyun, Diona, Ayaka, Rosaria
    Electro: Fischl, Lisa, Miko, Kujou, Raiden, Razor

Quote Originally Posted by General Zanjin View Post
    didnt they split the prepatch and the rest of shadowlands this time instead of the normal 1 patch has everything before launch?

We are on 9.0.2 since last reset.

Quote Originally Posted by General Zanjin View Post

Yes they did. And I bet the download we had a couple of days ago was the result of that.
    It ignores such insignificant forces as time, entropy, and death

Quote Originally Posted by Rioriel View Post
    EU player. Not subbed. It's 3:30 pm here in the UK on Sunday 22 Nov, and I've just opened BattleNET and it's downloading about 3Gb since my last log-in on Tuesday.

I'd probably fire up the client now tbh mate.

((Edit to add: Has patched me to 9.02.36710))
    You are a bit late as that patch came out Tues/Wed. Which for EU was Wednesday so since you logged in last Tuesday that is why you are getting it now.

Quote Originally Posted by sephrinx View Post
    I mean like, on the 23rd? I got the expansion gifted to me, just wondering if there will be additional downloading because it takes about an hour to download 1 gb.
    The way they have done it there shouldn't be any patches on launch day. That is why they did the update last week so that when launch comes we'll be able to play immediately.

Now they did say they are doing restarts on normal maintenance days (Tuesday for NA / Wednesday for EU). On that day they could release another patch with all the fixes they've put into the Beta within the last week.

But on launch day you'll be good to go as long as you got the Pre-Patch and the update last week (everyone gets it regardless of owning the game).

Quote Originally Posted by PixelFox View Post
    There will 100% guaranteed be hot-fixes and might well be one or more restarts or quick-fix client updates for any major issues that arise in the first week of course.
    Those won't occur until the weekly maintenance which should be the following day for most people. So they'll do that during the maintenance that way it affects a lot less people. They may do a couple hotfixes if they are game breaking like how Horde couldn't open their garrison due to the telescope being bugged in WoD.

Quote Originally Posted by sephrinx View Post
    If there is it will be background download data , the files for SL base and launch should already be downloaded and ready to be set active on their side