Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst
LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by Sentynel View Post
    Like, don't include sexuality in a PG-12 game at all?
    There's a shitload of story they'll have to retcon if they decide to make everyone asexual.

This thread is gonna go places. I'll be surprised if I get this reply in before a lock.

For the record, transvestites are one gender, with a "normal" gender identity, that enjoy dressing up as another gender.
    Transgender people have a gender identity that doesn't match their birth gender. It's quite a different thing.

The first would be a man dressing up as a woman because they like it, for example.
    The other one is a woman born with male genitalia, wanting to conform to what they feel they are.

The problem with this is that they're defining Pelagos as being trans. His gender is his character. That's not how you design a character. You are meant to think about WHO is Pelagos rather than WHAT.

Oh no my space ghost in my video game makes me mad

7+ Year Old Account
    This has been known for months, to minimal outrage. Simply because it is a non issue.
    Sometimes, the light of the moon is a key to other spaces. I've found a place where, for a night or two, the streets curve in unfamiliar ways. If I walk here, I might find insight, or I might be touched by madness.

Quote Originally Posted by Sentynel View Post
    What the actual fuck.
    No that's correct. Being trans is to do with gender identity, i.e. which group you identify with. Sexuality is to do with which group you are sexually attracted to.

Did you run out of stuff to complain about or something OP? Or are you just this reactionary?

Maybe trans is not that uncommon for the Kyrian race? Or any other Azerothian race for that matter. Just because we haven't seen it doesn't mean that it doesn't exist. We are the champions of world. I doubt these kind of issues would be brought up to people who are trying to save the world from destruction.
    Also, we can already have both a sex AND a race change.

Or we can just realise that trans is just as a character trait of Pelagos like bravery was for Variann. Stop being such snowflakes just because you think gender identity is scary.

Quote Originally Posted by Cæli View Post
    the fact that they keep highlighting it makes it extremely weird, who cares if they have trans characters, why the need to tell everyone lol
    Because trans people are one of the most marginalised groups in western society with large numbers of people being very vocal about their refusal to accept their identities. A large company like Blizzard acknowledging them and giving representation in a piece of pop culture like WoW can do a lot to alleviate the mental anguish and health problems that come from the marginalisation.

Quote Originally Posted by TickTickTick View Post
    It's not a concidence Pelagos is the best soulbind. Feels like they want to force him really hard. Was even more apparent before they changed versa to magic dmg taken.
    What are you talking about? He was recently nerfed hard.

Quote Originally Posted by Nnyco View Post
    Are we playing spot the bigot again?
    Yup, pretty much.

Quote Originally Posted by Xesco View Post
    VG24/7 Interview with Johnny Cash and Ely Cannon

The WoW community is very diverse, and Shadowlands has strived to introduce characters that are diverse as well, such as Pelagos being the Shadowlands version of a trans character.

transvestite community must be really happy. i guess wow is filled with or have many trans ppl playing.

So to all trans and homos GO kyrian you are going to love it !

PEACE
    Transvestites and transexuals are two different groups of people. Similarly, homosexuals and transsexuals are two different groups of people. There can be intersection with them, just as there can be heterosexual transexual transvestites.

Quote Originally Posted by Arafal View Post
    I mean, they were specifically asked about representation in the interview the quote is from.

In fact, i haven't seen them bring him up unless they were specifically asked about it except for the one blue posts regarding his pronouns.
    Even that blue post about pronouns was responding to reports from testers about it. Everything I've seen regarding the character's gender identity was first brought up by players/interviewers.

3+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by tetrisGOAT View Post
    How is this about sexuality at all? Transitioning is identity oriented, it has *nothing* to do with sexuality. Especially not in this context.
    Except it does. The desire to transition, just like nearly everything else, is borne of peoples' desires to satisfy sexual needs. This reality of the human condition does not and should not have any effect on the moral implications of transitioning to begin with. It is a choice that any human can make in exercising their inalienable right, the pursuit of happiness. Sexuality is not something to be ashamed of, so why should it be excluded from this discussion? Who you lay in bed with is of no concern to anyone else but yourself and your SO, but don't deny the effect it has on all peoples' decision making, including transitioning.

As for the topic, it's tiring that people care about this. Pelagos' gender has no significance on the game or story, so why is this even a discussion to begin with? Only someone who is made uncomfortable by the issue would feel the desire to remark about it, so maybe everyone who is complaining should take a look inward. Virtue signalling on the part of Blizzard or not, it has no effect on World of Warcraft as a whole.

Hundreds of straight, male, binary characters in WarCraft. Quite a few of them main characters.

A single NPC, from an expansion pack that is likely going to be forgotten about in another expansion pack or two, is made transgender and certain people lose their goddamn minds.

Normally, I also get annoyed when companies call attention to how "diverse" they are, but as I understand it, Blizzard didn't actually call attention to this one, people have just been asking them about it since the info was datamined.

Surely there are more important things you people could be wringing your hands over?
    "Go back...I just want to go back...!"

Quote Originally Posted by Eazy View Post
    The answer is in my comment, below the first statement.
    By not even being mentioned by Blizzard a few times already.
    So the character must be randomly introduced to players without any prior knowledge and that's the sole indicator of if something is forced or not?

I don't think it would change much in this case, personally.

It's a fantasy world where Humans evolved from metal constructs who got infected by an Eldritch curse and this is what people care about?

Quote Originally Posted by Sagenod View Post
    As for the topic, it's tiring that people care about this. Pelagos' gender has no significance on the game or story, so why is this even a discussion to begin with? Only someone who is made uncomfortable by the issue would feel the desire to remark about it, so maybe everyone who is complaining should take a look inward. Virtue signalling on the part of Blizzard or not, it has no effect on World of Warcraft as a whole.
    "Why are you people recognizing something that blizzard specifically pointed out!?!?"

Quote Originally Posted by Snorri View Post
    The problem with this is that they're defining Pelagos as being trans. His gender is his character. That's not how you design a character. You are meant to think about WHO is Pelagos rather than WHAT.
    Yep.

Though if they didn't draw attention to it they wouldn't be able to score their 'woke points' - and I say that as a gay guy. I'm pretty tired of large corporations bending over backwards to try and seem super progressive and riling up the very vocal portion of their zealous followers who think this sort of thing makes for good representation.

Blizzard's virtue signaling is particularly disgusting given their stance towards the recent issues in Hong Kong but that's another matter entirely, I suppose.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Snorri View Post
    Yes their sexuality being their most defining character is rather bad when you want to make people more tolerant towards such characters. It's like how TV series used to depict stereotypes of gays and lesbians. It doesn't help them at all that is also not how you show as a company that you are tolerant, it just shows how disconnected you are in my opinion.

Perhaps in game you learn who he is first before learning that fact.
    “My philosophy is: It’s none of my business what people say of me and think of me. I am what I am and I do what I do. I expect nothing and accept everything. And it makes life so much easier.
    ― Anthony Hopkins

I usually am pretty good at seeing what inclusivity things are forced or not but I really have NO IDEA how people think Pelagos being trans is forced. It is literally NOT MENTIONED AT ALL unless you personally talk to him and ask him about himself. It’s actually perfect; lgbt inclusion shouldn’t be “oh look at this trans man” it should be just normal and something that isn’t even brought up because it’s accepted.