Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst
1
2
3
LastLast
  1. #21
    devout magic users with affinity for light and dark

  2. #22
    Priest is somewhat suffering from what Warlock did before Demon Hunter was added.

    It hosts people who exclusively want to play a Void-user cause there is no other spec/class representing it.

  3. #23
    that is a fascinating take on the Shadow Preist. They devour the soul essence of their enemies and smash the established order into pieces, leaving insanity, pain, and torment. love it!

  4. #24
    In WoW, I feel like the healing-speccs of the priests have painted themself into a corner.
    They try so hard to make disc and holy feel diffrent that the overall utility is lost
    I wish we hade more gimmicks, at least in PvP, like other classes have

    The new patch shows how mutch clearer the fantasy is for other classes, with some new cool spells added to the basket.
    THey seem a little confused with what they want to do with holy/disc further (Why didnt they add the LEgion artifact-ability of disc back?)

    Shadowpriest used to feel like it was in place in the "priest"-category, but right now it feels like another class mashed in with the priest.
    Like mentioned above; shadow feels like what demo-lock was before Demon Hunter was added.
    Too mutch void, and it doesnt overlap with anything else like shadow used to do.

    As a priest I like it simple: Being holy with a big pack of healing utilities I can react with. Also being able to dish out some DPS. Both utility and DPS-abilities feel "meh". I want more stuff like grip of life and the holy knockback.

  5. #25
    Quote Originally Posted by Rootsbum View Post
    In WoW, I feel like the healing-speccs of the priests have painted themself into a corner.
    They try so hard to make disc and holy feel diffrent that the overall utility is lost
    I wish we hade more gimmicks, at least in PvP, like other classes have

    The new patch shows how mutch clearer the fantasy is for other classes, with some new cool spells added to the basket.
    THey seem a little confused with what they want to do with holy/disc further (Why didnt they add the LEgion artifact-ability of disc back?)

    Shadowpriest used to feel like it was in place in the "priest"-category, but right now it feels like another class mashed in with the priest.
    Like mentioned above; shadow feels like what demo-lock was before Demon Hunter was added.
    Too mutch void, and it doesnt overlap with anything else like shadow used to do.

    As a priest I like it simple: Being holy with a big pack of healing utilities I can react with. Also being able to dish out some DPS. Both utility and DPS-abilities feel "meh". I want more stuff like grip of life and the holy knockback.
    I agree. Shadow at least felt unique (probably why so many people disliked it) prior to the shadowlands rework. Now its just budget warlock, with almost zero utility and flexibility.

  6. #26
    Quote Originally Posted by Mardux View Post
    I agree. Shadow at least felt unique (probably why so many people disliked it) prior to the shadowlands rework. Now its just budget warlock, with almost zero utility and flexibility.
    It's utility and flexibility was not touched by Shadowland rework. What was fixed was clunky rotation which required very precious execution to yield some results and could screw you over pretty easily. I can't really see how SL rework damaged shadow in the slightest.

  7. #27
    Considering they are not above radically changing things on a per expansion basis, beyond strictly being a healer
    can you be too sure what theme the specs will adhere to in the future?

    Disc and holy used to just more or less do the same, but abit better depending on which spells you used.
    Shadow used to actually do shadow damage, didn`t have a insanity mechanics, nor a secondary resource system.
    It`s not just gameplay alterations, it`s also thematic ones as well.
    Considering how far they want you to lean into a spec`s theme now, you`re not really a priest in the same sense anymore.

    So to reiterate, what a -class- is, depends on so many factors that constantly change that any identity is the product of the
    expansion at the time you`re playing.

  8. #28
    Pandaren Monk cocomen2's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2018
    Location
    Sweet Home Alabama
    Posts
    1,811
    Quote Originally Posted by deviantcultist View Post
    Priest is somewhat suffering from what Warlock did before Demon Hunter was added.

    It hosts people who exclusively want to play a Void-user cause there is no other spec/class representing it.
    This, its like closed room filled with Pope and Cultists, that trying to argue who more devoted to their lord be is GOD/Devil or anyone else.

    1) Become sworn to the Light, or die without faith.

    2) "Don't mind if i sacrifice this kids to the Void?"
    Hulk x She-hulk = Hulk-kids, Disney just image how easy to sell small Hulk-kids toys, just DO-IT /s

  9. #29
    I always wished Discipline had been Arcane based so the Night Elves had more of thing. I get why they didn't, but it would have been interesting seeing Discipline be as separated from Holy and Shadow. Its mixture barely gives it an identity, and I always felt like Shadow and Holy were lessened for Discpline's mix since they went that route. I did like the more barrier based version of Discipline though.

    One thing I didn't like with discipline was how they moved the "healing for damage" concept to Discipline so strongly, even though, traditionally, that was a Shadow thing.

    So with that in mind I can't really think of a Priest class fantasy. I can only think of Specialization fantasy. Holy and Shadow have their distinct fantasies. Discipline, I felt, has never had its own good and unique fantasy, unshackled from shadow and holy. I think it deserves one though.

  10. #30
    priest needs to be split into two classes because the shadow stuff NEVER fit and making a class tree its obvious that blizz wants to keep things completely segregated.

    Id like a full blown shadow healer and a full blown ranged light dps. A true inquisitor type spec and a full blown voodoo witch doctor healer.

  11. #31
    Quote Originally Posted by bloodmoth13 View Post
    priest needs to be split into two classes because the shadow stuff NEVER fit and making a class tree its obvious that blizz wants to keep things completely segregated.

    Id like a full blown shadow healer and a full blown ranged light dps. A true inquisitor type spec and a full blown voodoo witch doctor healer.
    I don't agree with them needing to be split. Them being in one class makes sense because is it a reflection of how some religious/cult leaders are in real life/ingame aka straying from their original teachings to cult like fervency but its also makes sense from a lore standpoint. Archbishop Benedictus iI would say is a good example of this.

    But I do agree on wanted a ranged holy damage dps and a shadow healer that would be amazing!
    Quote Originally Posted by Chubathingy View Post
    But anyway it's OK to be jelly of the tallest midget.

  12. #32
    Mine is different depending on the race, as with any other class. I have a troll shadow priest that I see as a witch doctor type, a pandaren priest that I see as a lorewalker or whatever, and a human priest that I see as pretty much what you described in the original post (a "fantastical take on a Catholic priest"). Also have a mag'har Ner'zhul-esque void priest.

    Examples of my priests -


    Last edited by gd8; 2022-09-21 at 05:09 PM.

  13. #33
    Quote Originally Posted by deviantcultist View Post
    Priest is somewhat suffering from what Warlock did before Demon Hunter was added.

    It hosts people who exclusively want to play a Void-user cause there is no other spec/class representing it.
    The void part was only realy introduced in legion, shadow had more parts. Including the vampiric aspect with talents such as san'layn and vampiric embrace etc.

    I mean i remember many complaints about being pigeonholed into, when it wasnt perse what everyone wanted. Its good they brought back other playstyles in df.

    For me personally i didnt care a single bit about the void aspect, I never saw my shadow like that. It would have been better if those spelleffects were ofered through glyphs.

  14. #34
    Legendary! Ealyssa's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Location
    Switzerland, Geneva
    Posts
    6,764
    Quote Originally Posted by deviantcultist View Post
    It hosts people who exclusively want to play a Void-user cause there is no other spec/class representing it.
    Linking shadow spec to the void is quite recent tho. The whole craziness, whisper of old gods, etc. wasn't there in the original Shadow spec who was "just" the counterpart of the light. It was something about inflicting pain and draining life (the opposite of holy, literally).

    Then blizzard made it that most shadow magic was essentially the void.

    EDIT : should have read the whole thread, the answer before me is saying the same.
    Quote Originally Posted by primalmatter View Post
    nazi is not the abbreviation of national socialism....
    When googling 4 letters is asking too much fact-checking.

  15. #35
    Quote Originally Posted by shamantime View Post
    I don't agree with them needing to be split. Them being in one class makes sense because is it a reflection of how some religious/cult leaders are in real life/ingame aka straying from their original teachings to cult like fervency but its also makes sense from a lore standpoint. Archbishop Benedictus iI would say is a good example of this.

    But I do agree on wanted a ranged holy damage dps and a shadow healer that would be amazing!
    imo its like making a warrior and rogue the same class and justifying it by 'sometimes fighters need to be sneaky'.

    If a priest fell from the light he wouldnt be a priest. You cant do both at the same time (well disc says otherwise) but every single lore priest follow a single power and they are antithetical to eachother.

    The concept of opposites coexisting is cool and all with ying yang stuff but in reality holy wants nothing to do with shadow ever, holy is the iconic 'priest' archetype, holy has no ranged damage representative, holy CAN deal damage etc etc.

    It would be like if blizz put arcane mage spec into the warlock class, except obviously more eggregious but that goes to show how awkward a fit it is.

  16. #36
    Quote Originally Posted by bloodmoth13 View Post
    imo its like making a warrior and rogue the same class and justifying it by 'sometimes fighters need to be sneaky'.

    If a priest fell from the light he wouldnt be a priest. You cant do both at the same time (well disc says otherwise) but every single lore priest follow a single power and they are antithetical to eachother.

    The concept of opposites coexisting is cool and all with ying yang stuff but in reality holy wants nothing to do with shadow ever, holy is the iconic 'priest' archetype, holy has no ranged damage representative, holy CAN deal damage etc etc.

    It would be like if blizz put arcane mage spec into the warlock class, except obviously more eggregious but that goes to show how awkward a fit it is.
    light and dark priests have been the same basic class (cleric) in D&D for like 40 years lol.

    Priests channel the magic gifted to them by ultra powerful beings to carry out its will - that's the core definition of a priest. Compare that to a mage/sorcerer who channel a power through themselves without an intermediary.

    They are pretty core and clear concepts. And shadow and holy are just two sides of that coin. Priest of Lathander, Priest of Shar - same concept!

    More practically, Blizzard is never going to separate the class so it's silly to even worry about lmao

  17. #37
    Quote Originally Posted by Ashana Darkmoon View Post
    light and dark priests have been the same basic class (cleric) in D&D for like 40 years lol.

    Priests channel the magic gifted to them by ultra powerful beings to carry out its will - that's the core definition of a priest. Compare that to a mage/sorcerer who channel a power through themselves without an intermediary.

    They are pretty core and clear concepts. And shadow and holy are just two sides of that coin. Priest of Lathander, Priest of Shar - same concept!

    More practically, Blizzard is never going to separate the class so it's silly to even worry about lmao
    This isnt D&D and blizzards current lore really doesnt support it.

    I get that priests channel power from higher entities but void lords are no higher than demons and the light is no higher than the titans. Worship and faith are the only things that really separate them and one could worship ragnaros or death wing or whatever other elemental diety or eternal exists. Considering light and dark are on the same tier as death, life, arcane and fel you could justify a cultist of the damned spec for priests or you could have a druid spec as priest etc.

    I call BS for being 2 sides of the same coin, they are completely different currencies in wow, and with the whole 'pray to a god and get their power' angle i think its awkward to have 2 competing gods favoring the same individual. That fantasy isnt core its fringe, its a cool one granted but it shouldnt be the default. 99% of priests are devoted to the light OR the void with zero overlap.

    And its up to blizz to do whatever they want with their classes but in the current state i could agree that they will probably never separate them, though i would like to see shadow removed from priest and put somewhere else. My ideal class system would be removing classes entirely and having magic schools so we could get a handful of specs for each school of magic, but thats an entirely different issue that requires too much ground work for this discussion.

  18. #38
    At this point, priest class fantasy is being the redheaded stepchild of the classes.

  19. #39
    I would have Discipline be a Light themed caster dps spec with strong shielding and damage prevention utility for it's group and CC like stuns, knockbacks and maybe another area denial similar to the Monk circle to spread that mechanic around a bit.
    Have the fantasy revolve around stoicism, tradition, discipline, strength of will.

    I find it very weird how for so many years they can't really find an identity for that spec, yet it's been there all the time.
    Quote Originally Posted by munkeyinorbit View Post
    Blizzard do what the players want all the time.

  20. #40
    Quote Originally Posted by bloodmoth13 View Post
    This isnt D&D and blizzards current lore really doesnt support it.

    .
    I mean, Metzen basically lifted this game wholesale from 2e D&D lol.

    But again, this doesn't matter. This is never going to change any more than separating mage specs into a new class. The game already has too many classes and specs to balance properly!

    - - - Updated - - -

    Quote Originally Posted by Echeyakee View Post
    At this point, priest class fantasy is being the redheaded stepchild of the classes.
    In PvP, priests have consistently been one of the best classes in the game since the introduction of arena in 2006. Lots of this is due to RMP, but even outside this they have been in many comps. Same with rated BGs.

    In raids, Disc and Shadow have historically been among the most coveted specs, with Disc being one of the "core trinity" with holy paladins and resto shaman for most tiers (Holy being OP is pretty new and historically rare).

    In m+, priests have been in the middleish, with Disc often being good, Holy rarely being good (but A tier for S3 an s4 of shadowlands) and shadow being mediocre but still seeing play at high level thanks to PI.

    Seeing this class as a reheaded stepchild is just wanting to feel like a victim lol

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •