Page 1 of 2
LastLast
    10+ Year Old Account

mounts only usable by members of covenant disincentivizes collection

I get it from a lore or something point of view but where I would have planned on grinding out many of them on different toons to have them available with the rest of the collection, having to choose them only on toons of that covenant greatly reduces their value to me. especially considering how greatly gameplay is impacted by covenant choice. is the same the case with pets? I noticed one pet tooltip says granted at such and such renown. what about transmogrification items? to me this reeks of forcing a a split decision / more grinding than would be needed otherwise and seriously, for those that don't play a ton of alts, one of them grinds out a mount changes covenants and they now how a totally unusable mount? that is a first as far as I'm aware.

Scarab Lord
    10+ Year Old Account
    You contradict yourself a bit here. You're trying to whine about how collecting them is "disincentivized", but you're also trying to whine about "more grinding" to get all of them. Make your mind up mate.

Each covenant has like 1 mount with three reskins or something similar. This isn't something to go into panic stations over. Transmog is locked to the covenant you're in, this isn't an accident and isn't going to change just because you're upset.

Realistically, once 10.0 hits, you can basically bet Covenant restrictions will be lifted, just like they were with Artifact weapon appearances.
    "A youtuber said so."

"... some wow experts being interviewed..."

"According to researchers from Wowhead..."

Mounts only being usable by 1 class/spec (legion), 1 faction (BfA) disincentivises collection.

Challenge Mode : Play WoW like my disability has me play:
    You will need two people, Brian MUST use the mouse for movement/looking and John MUST use the keyboard for casting, attacking, healing etc.
    Briand and John share the same goal, same intentions - but they can't talk to each other, however they can react to each other's in game activities.
    Now see how far Brian and John get in WoW.

The thing to keep in mind is that practically everything collectible from Covenants will more than likely be made truly account-wide with patch 10.0, much like artifact transmogging was made account wide with 8.0.

There's practically 0 chance that they'll keep the mounts and transmog restricted to members of specific covenants long term.
    Quote Originally Posted by AZSolii View Post
    "yes, let's piss him off because he loves his long hair. Let us twirl our evil mustaches amidst the background music of honky-tonk pianos! GENIUS!"
    Quote Originally Posted by Culexus View Post
    Yes i hate those sneaky account thieves that come to my house and steal my computer in order to steal some wow money! Those bastards! *shakes fist*

There's barely any exclusivity as it is. So many themed mounts you'd think would be limited to a Covenant, like larions, moths, dredbats, gorm, etc. are available through rares, rep vendors, etc. to everyone. The actual locked Covenant mounts are some of the least interesting ones with a handful of recolors.

Plus, as already said, this is inevitably going to be a temporary restriction.

Now, I could agree that they should all count towards totals, much as Legion order hall mounts did.

People who don't play tons of alts, probably aren't obsessed with mount collecting, so it'll be quite fine. Not every mount needs to be usable on every character at all times. So, it's a complete non issue.
    Quote Originally Posted by Jtbrig7390 View Post
    True, I was just bored and tired but you are correct.

Last edited by Thwart; Today at 05:21 PM. Reason: Infracted for flaming
    Quote Originally Posted by epigramx View Post
    millennials were the kids of the 9/11 survivors.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Eurhetemec View Post
    You contradict yourself a bit here. You're trying to whine about how collecting them is "disincentivized", but you're also trying to whine about "more grinding" to get all of them. Make your mind up mate.
    not more grinding to get all of them, I was thinking it was more grinding in that I would need to do it on multiple toons for the same mount. that was my flawed logic not sure why I was thinking that. assuming a degree of reputation or the like is not required for use but just covenant choice.

Quote Originally Posted by schwarzkopf View Post
    Mounts only being usable by 1 class/spec (legion), 1 faction (BfA) disincentivises collection.
    fair point. the difference being you are extremely limited in what toons you can use those mounts on. it's not like I can decide to roll fury on my DK for the galakras mount or whatever thus affecting gameplay. the degree to which your gameplay is affected only correlates to color option not the mount in its entirety.

I like to try and not re-use mounts including color variants and have ~18 max level toons which makes deciding on which one I might most like to use one of those on difficult when adding the variable of covenant selection and how gameplay is affected.

time will tell as to how much difference covenant selection makes, perhaps it might be worthwhile to make a sub-optimal selection for the sake of aesthetics. I know some of those covenant abilities seem like non-starters but I'd bet the good ones don't differ too much from one another where my tastes are concerned..

fair points regarding restrictions being lifted - that would be nice - at the very least choosing the covenant of your choice when gameplay is no longer affected post-SL would be inconsequential.

I honestly think collecting them has been insanity since some expansions ago.

But hey, at least mount offs will get more unpredictable eh?

Quote Originally Posted by schwarzkopf View Post
    and yet strangly legion content was always full of people in BfA - who were doing both mount and weapon transmogs farm . and they completly didnt mind it being like that.

I'm collecting every single one of them regardless

5+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Unlimited Power View Post
    The thing to keep in mind is that practically everything collectible from Covenants will more than likely be made truly account-wide with patch 10.0, much like artifact transmogging was made account wide with 8.0.

There's practically 0 chance that they'll keep the mounts and transmog restricted to members of specific covenants long term.
    10.0? That's probably 2 years away...

Realistically, once 10.0 hits, you can basically bet Covenant restrictions will be lifted, just like they were with Artifact weapon appearances.
    Don't you mean 11.0? Artifact restrictions weren't removed until SL Pre-Patch.

Don't you have favorite mounts? I do and of the many I have, my toons only use about 5 - 10. Once I realized this, collecting mounts became way less important.

Quote Originally Posted by Paperfox View Post
    Don't you have favorite mounts? I do and of the many I have, my toons only use about 5 - 10. Once I realized this, collecting mounts became way less important.
    I agree with this. It's always about that one mount that fit perfectly with one of my characters. I can use others at times, but always go back to the "right one" for them. It's difficult to get excited about new mounts sometimes, much like transmog when I find the perfect look. It's then all about tweeking that one transmog set with new items that improve it slightly, or giving it the expansion flavour (but not too much ).

Also, I agree that all limitations will probably be lifted at some point, enough to make covenant choice matter for now but not be a handicap down the line for players. Players with alts will be able to collect all mounts easily, players without will have the ability to switch covenant if they want to, progress toward collection will remain.

Never understood the obsession of collecting tons of mounts, pets, toys, transmog that you will never use just for the sake of seeing no blanks in your collection tabs.

Didn't bother me with Legion class mounts, doesn't bother me now.

Quote Originally Posted by Sencha View Post
    Never understood the obsession of collecting tons of mounts, pets, toys, transmog that you will never use just for the sake of seeing no blanks in your collection tabs.
    People like collecting things. Just those things are different for each person. It's like how you have people who collect stamps, trains, or coins. Most people don't understand it, but they enjoy it. It's just like people in WoW who like to collect mounts, pets, toys, transmogs or all.

Quote Originally Posted by terminaltrip421 View Post
    I get it from a lore or something point of view but where I would have planned on grinding out many of them on different toons to have them available with the rest of the collection, having to choose them only on toons of that covenant greatly reduces their value to me. especially considering how greatly gameplay is impacted by covenant choice. is the same the case with pets? I noticed one pet tooltip says granted at such and such renown. what about transmogrification items? to me this reeks of forcing a a split decision / more grinding than would be needed otherwise and seriously, for those that don't play a ton of alts, one of them grinds out a mount changes covenants and they now how a totally unusable mount? that is a first as far as I'm aware.
    Blizzard is perfectly aware that player like you, and there is a lot of players like you, who love to collect stuff will keep on playing until all is collected.
    So smart people at Blizzard came up with a system so the compulsive collectors would stay subscribed for as long as possible and at the same time could make the huge part of the playerbase that has illusions of uniqueness to feel special and here we have it:

4 distinct factions with separate stuff to collect.
    You, like all other collecters, will make 4 alts and collect all the stuff from each faction, because that is what you do.

Scarab Lord
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Lucetia View Post
    Don't you mean 11.0? Artifact restrictions weren't removed until SL Pre-Patch.
    I do mean 10.0, but yeah I nearly mentioned something about that - I expect it to be sooner this time.
    "A youtuber said so."

"... some wow experts being interviewed..."

"According to researchers from Wowhead..."

I do mean 10.0, but yeah I nearly mentioned something about that - I expect it to be sooner this time.
    It's possible it could be sooner, but at the same time I wouldn't hold my breath. The only reason I could see it wasn't in for 8.0 to start with was due to the druid forms and wand issue.