Page 1 of 2
LastLast

Wheres the marketing?

If i did not visit mmochampion and see the big front page post i would not know Shadowlands is coming out today. I've seen no banner ads, no youtube ads before videos, no obnoxious promoted tweets. Nothing. I think in the last six months a reddit mobile app advert is the only thing i've seen at all.

I'm sure there must be some stuff if you go look for it like those lo-fi videos to appeal to the zoomer crowd and the like but if you have to seek them out thats a hell of a difference from Legion and Battle for Azeroth where the online marketing was a constant blitz to the point of being obnoxious.

Have i just fallen off some google analytics counter to get targeted ads or is there genuinely a LOT less marketing this time around?

The Lightbringer Archmage Alodi's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    I have adblock, wouldn't know.
    THE HORDE WILL ENDURE
    THE HORDE IS STRONG!

about 1/3 of my youtube ads have been shadowlands and i see banners on the regular on gaming sites. also if you seriously didnt know about the launch today until you opened mmochamp today, what rock have you been living under?

[Rothulivic] [Twitch] [Twitter] Signature by Serryn

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by dope_danny View Post
    If i did not visit mmochampion and see the big front page post i would not know Shadowlands is coming out today. I've seen no banner ads, no youtube ads before videos, no obnoxious promoted tweets. Nothing. I think in the last six months a reddit mobile app advert is the only thing i've seen at all.

I'm sure there must be some stuff if you go look for it like those lo-fi videos to appeal to the zoomer crowd and the like but if you have to seek them out thats a hell of a difference from Legion and Battle for Azeroth where the online marketing was a constant blitz to the point of being obnoxious.

Have i just fallen off some google analytics counter to get targeted ads or is there genuinely a LOT less marketing this time around?
    Seen the announcement with the date in big bold letters come by numerous times on Youtube and Twitter, but noticably more on my smartphone than on my PC. So yeah, Adblock doing its job.
    Looking marvelous in velvet.

10+ Year Old Account
    Just because you don't see TV commercials for it anymore doesn't mean marketing for the expansion doesn't exist.

Warcraft twitter account has been spamming for days/weeks...

Quote Originally Posted by BossManRoth View Post
    about 1/3 of my youtube ads have been shadowlands and i see banners on the regular on gaming sites. also if you seriously didnt know about the launch today until you opened mmochamp today, what rock have you been living under?
    You're lucky. I keep getting that weird Hero Wars or whatever where the marketing team seems to think the best way to advertise is to show people being to incompetent to do basic problem solving. Or maybe the goal of the game is killing the hero, it's not entirely clear.

I've played every single wow expansion and vanilla and honestly, i just discovered here SL launches tonight. I was really confused, lol, but i'm having a lot of work this year (I'm a nurse, and you know...) so probably, that's why. Have fun everyone!

I've seen just one add on twitch.

I've been getting YouTube adverts.

IRL Marketing would probably be a waste in the US and Europe with all the lockdowns.

I don't even know about movies before they hit the top 20 of a torrent site or people talk about them. People still don't opt out of commercial hell?

I've seen tons of banner and youtube ads, so I dunno. They seem to be doing some at least.
    Check out my Ret Paladin YouTube channel: https://www.youtube.com/c/VarabenGaming

#RETPRESENT

Elemental Lord
    7+ Year Old Account

have you got an adblocker switched on?

Maybe you are too boomer and so you fell of the google analytics demographic for Shadowlands? idk.

Google already knows you have it. Why waste marketing on someone who isnt going to buy it.
    Quote Originally Posted by Nizah View Post
    why so mad bro

7+ Year Old Account
    Word of mouth and I believe they are finally realizing that new customers are a fantasy at this point so heavy advertising would just be preaching to the choir. Plus got to save that marketing budget for the China market.

Quote Originally Posted by GreenJesus View Post
    Maybe you are too boomer and so you fell of the google analytics demographic for Shadowlands? idk.
    That would explain all the ads I get for werthers original and aspercreme.
    Quote Originally Posted by Kaleredar View Post
    Nah nah, see... I live by one simple creed: You might catch more flies with honey, but to catch honeys you gotta be fly.

Doesn't seem like they need it, considering the fact that player engagement is a a 10-year high and they've beaten the sales record from BfA for pre-orders.

That being said, I use adblock.

Had lots on infuriating ads on both spotify and youtube.