Poll: Will Alleria become corrupted?

Page 2 of 12 FirstFirst
... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by Benitora View Post
    I don't think Void is inherently evil, as the Light is not inherently good.
    After all the lore regarding what the Light has done over the years, it puts into question about just how "evil" the Void is.

So no, I don't think that she will turn into a Sylvanas 2.0
    N'Zoth certainly didn't see himself as evil. He genuinely thought he was the only hope Azeroth had (as he foresaw the Jailer making his move):

I alone can save you from what is to come.
    It grows hungrier... bolder. Alas, your eyes are closed.
    Last edited by Varodoc; 2020-11-23 at 06:35 PM.
    Expansion Storylines ranking:

Legion > Cataclysm > MoP > BfA up to 8.2.5 > Wrath > TBC > WoD > Dragonflight > BfA 8.3 > Shadowlands

Elemental Lord
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Darknessvamp View Post
    Personally I'm betting that Alleria will just pop at some point due to increasing void levels like an Egg for a Voidlord and we're going to have to deal with an infinite army because of her, Legion-esque.
    The light could push Turalyon as well in a direction we might not suspect. Xe ra was kinda pushy.. and this was just the first moment we see the light take a differnt turn.

Something's gonna happen with Turalyon and Alleria but we'll have to see what it is. If only one of them will bring harm I think it'll be Turalyon but it's more likely they'll both be the cause of some bad stuff. That doesn't mean they won't work to undo it but yeah. Just my feelings.

Quote Originally Posted by Benitora View Post
    I don't think Void is inherently evil, as the Light is not inherently good.
    After all the lore regarding what the Light has done over the years, it puts into question about just how "evil" the Void is.

So no, I don't think that she will turn into a Sylvanas 2.0
    I've never seen the light make it's users mad and commit evil acts. Usually the user is a fault for any of the cases you can bring up. However you can't say that about the void.

Quote Originally Posted by tommyhil622 View Post
    Unfortunately there hasn't be a single instance of the Void being a force of good. The void corrupts, that's what it does. The whispers drives it users mad.

There are countless examples of the void corrupting otherwise good individuals into evil or do evil acts.

The void is being used as a weapon by the void elves but its not a weapon. The void is a realm and is dominated by evil entities called the void lords. You know this.
    What about every Shadow Priest that's been in the Alliance and Horde? Aren't we all fighting on the side of good? Is that not weaponizing Void for the sake of goodness?

And there is a single instance of Void being a force of good now. Alleria. She is arguably doing what Illidan did with Fel magic. Use it to fight evil and those that threaten Azeroth and its people.

The Light can be just as cruel and unsympathetic when we really think about it. We have examples of that with Scarlet Crusade and Yrel's Army of the Light. It's really up to the individuals who use and control the force, not simply the force itself.

If we really get down to it, all types of magic ends up corrupting or being corrupted.

Arcane is addicting
    Fel is corrupting
    Light blinds with fanatacism
    Void causes madness
    Nature and Wild magic is prone to corruption by fel/void/old gods

We've had examples of it all being bad in one way or another, we simply weaponize what we have for the sake of good.

Quote Originally Posted by Varodoc View Post
    N'Zoth certainly didn't see himself as evil. He genuinely thought he was the only hope Azeroth (as he foresaw the Jailer making his move).
    No villian views themselves as evil. What N'Zoth's view on that matter would quite frankly be irrelevant. Besides i never saw any indication that he viewed himself as a hero of Azeroth.

Elemental Lord
    10+ Year Old Account
    I've never seen the light make it's users mad and commit evil acts. Usually the user is a fault for any of the cases you can bring up. However you can't say that about the void.
    Well with the new information we learned about the Nathrezim.. that golden dreadlord knows shit...

The light can be seductive.. lets heal your scars, i will forge you a new one, I will help you type of.comments feel very seductive. Illidan wasnt believing it.. but Turalyon obviously fell for it. Hes still human afther all. Hes way more bathed in light than uther for example.

Quote Originally Posted by Triceron View Post
    What about every Shadow Priest that's been in the Alliance and Horde? Aren't we all fighting on the side of good? Is that not weaponizing Void for the sake of goodness?

And there is a single instance of Void being a force of good now. Alleria. She is arguably doing what Illidan did with Fel magic. Use it to fight evil and those that threaten Azeroth and its people.

The Light can be just as cruel and unsympathetic when we really think about it. We have examples of that with Scarlet Crusade and Yrel's Army of the Light. It's really up to the individuals who use and control the force, not simply the force itself.

If we really get down to it, all types of magic ends up corrupting or being corrupted.

Arcane is addicting
    Fel is corrupting
    Void causes madness

We've had examples of it all being bad in one way or another, we simply weaponize what we have for the sake of good.
    So Alleria isn't an example of what i'm saying. She's not the void, she's using the void. What I'm saying is i've never see the void itself motivate a user to do good. Alleria's example is the complete opposite. She's bending an otherwise evil force to use it for good.

Again we are looking at this particular case where she specifically is delving deeper into it, which makes her more susceptible of being corrupted in the future.

Elemental Lord
    10+ Year Old Account

Arcane is addicting
    Fel is corrupting
    Void causes madness

We dont know enough about the light. The users are obviously a big source why things go bad..,, but what about Xe ra who is basically the light. Is she a light giver? She is under the light lords it seems as a Naaru.

Quote Originally Posted by Alanar View Post
    Well with the new information we learned about the Nathrezim.. that golden dreadlord knows shit...

The light can be seductive.. lets heal your scars, i will forge you a new one, I will help you type of.comments feel very seductive. Illidan wasnt believing it.. but Turalyon obviously fell for it. Hes still human afther all. Hes way more bathed in light than uther for example.
    That was Xe'ra doing that, that wasn't the light itself. There's a big difference there.

Elemental Lord
    10+ Year Old Account
    That was Xe'ra doing that, that wasn't the light itself. There's a big difference there.
    Read my comment above. She is a naaru right? With not much between that and the light.. she is sort of a beacon of the light. So I dont think that differences is that big.

I am not sure if we had the confirmations of the lightlords, but I am pretty positive I read it in an interview. Making it so that the light lords are above the naaru.
    Last edited by Alanar; 2020-11-23 at 06:46 PM.

Read my comment above. She is a naaru right? With not much between that and the light.. she is sort of a beacon of the light. So i dont think that differences is that big.
    Again she's a Naaru, that wasn't the light itself doing that. Most Naarus' aren't doing that. In fact other that Xe'ra and alternate Xe'ra there isn't any other instance of such a thing occurring. Besides she was doing what she thought was right, and she was actually healing him, not driving him crazy or any of the number of crazy things the void tends to do.

Unfortunately there hasn't be a single instance of the Void being a force of good. The void corrupts, that's what it does. The whispers drives it users mad.
    Uhm... there is an entire race using the Void for good and there are Shadow and Discipline Priests and Warlocks in part also using it for good. @Varodoc is completely right, the Void is as evil as any other weapon. Yes it can corrrupt if you let it, but so can the Light as Yrel clearly shows.

Magic doesn't actually make anyone do anything. It's arguable that Void causes madness, but it's mainly a story tool just to associate it as a dark and mysterious power that should not be taken lightly.

It's not about magic corrupting people as much as people abusing the use of magic and corrupting themselves. This sort of power-hunger exists in all forms of magic, and stems from the individual more than it does from the source of magic itself.

Even Shamanism has its dark examples, like Ner'zhul using it to tap into the Dark Star or the Dark Shaman we face in Siege of Orgrimmar. The only difference is that we have lore saying people who use Dark magic are crazy because of the magic; Alleria's story is the first time we've had lore telling otherwise and it frames what we know of Void magic as not being that different than Light; just not wholly understood the same way. And if it you can't come to accept that truth/reality, you would go mad through it, but it's not a madness that automatically causes one to do 'evil'. Evil is subjective in its own right, and our own observation is limited by only having known dark practitioners of void magic who are crazy. That image is changing with the introduction of the Void Elves.

Same can be said of Fel magic absolutely corrupting and all that. Fel was absolutely associated with evil, until Warcraft 3 established instances where it can also be used for good; primarily through Grom and Illidan. Now we're at a point where we have multiple accounts of fel-touched races that have done good; Green Orcs, Blood Elves, Demon Hunters, Broken Draenei even good Satyrs. The lore isn't static when it comes to what magic 'inherently' is. The lore is simply limiting our information of what we should expect, and it changes those expectations for the sake of the story. Look at how Shadowlands is changing how we view Arthas now, after being told for so many years that he was singularly responsible for being the one in control, for being super-evil.
    Last edited by Triceron; 2020-11-23 at 06:49 PM.

Elemental Lord
    10+ Year Old Account
    Again she's a Naaru, that wasn't the light itself doing that. Most Naarus' aren't doing that. In fact other that Xe'ra and alternate Xe'ra there isn't any other instance of such a thing occurring. Besides she was doing what she thought was right, and she was actually healing him, not driving him crazy or any of the number of crazy things the void tends to do.
    I think you missed the point of that cinematic.

Xera pushed Illidan when he said no. This was a side we never saw before. It might seem like she is healing him.
    I dont think I would call it. Like that. Illidan literally said: I traded power for freedom before. She was highly seductive realy.. and she was a beacon of 100% light. Who is probably ordered by her boss(lets say a light lord) to bath illidan in light to have a powerfull ally. Seems realy obvious.

She clearly operates out of the light.
    Last edited by Alanar; 2020-11-23 at 06:50 PM.

I think you missed the point of that cinematic.

Xera pushed Illidan when he said no. She clearly operates out of the light.
    I understood the cinematic perfectly, we are disagreeing on something that has nothing to do with the cinematic. Separating the light from a user of the light.

Elemental Lord
    10+ Year Old Account
    I understood the cinematic perfectly, we are disagreeing on something that has nothing to do with the cinematic. Separating the light from a user of the light.
    I would say re watch. This is no opinion based m8.

The light wanted Illidan.. he said no and the light still continued. That was a shock to many fans. It put the light in a differnt light lol.

Magic doesn't actually make anyone do anything. It's arguable that Void causes madness, but it's mainly a story tool just to associate it as a dark and mysterious power that should not be taken lightly.

It's not about magic corrupting people as much as people abusing the use of magic and corrupting themselves. This sort of power-hunger exists in all forms of magic, and stems from the individual more than it does from the source of magic itself.

Even Shamanism has its dark examples, like Ner'zhul using it to tap into the Dark Star or the Dark Shaman we face in Siege of Orgrimmar. The only difference is that we have lore saying people who use Dark magic are crazy because of the magic; Alleria's story is the first time we've had lore telling otherwise and it frames what we know of Void magic as not being that different than Light; just not wholly understood the same way. And if it you can't come to accept that truth/reality, you would go mad through it, but it's not a madness that automatically causes one to do 'evil'. Evil is subjective in its own right, and our own observation is limited by only having known dark practitioners of void magic who are crazy. That image is changing with the introduction of the Void Elves.

Same can be said of Fel magic absolutely corrupting and all that. Well we have multiple accounts of fel-touched races that have done good; Green Orcs, Blood Elves, Demon Hunters, Broken Draenei even good Satyrs. The lore isn't static when it comes to what magic 'inherently' is. The lore is simply limiting our information of what we should expect, and it changes those expectations for the sake of the story. Look at how Shadowlands is changing how we view Arthas now, after being told for so many years that he was singularly responsible for being the one in control, for being super-evil.
    I undersand what you are trying to say here but the void has whispers. That's not debatble. No other form of magic has a porperty that actively tries to corrupt you other than maybe fel. The other examples are people who had questionable motivations and upon recieving said power are twisted even further.

The void actively tries to corrupt you. It's an external force that does not originate from the individual.

These whispers constantly speak to the users of the void and said user has to ward against it otherwise they are either corrupted, driven mad, killed or any combination of the above. So, no the effects of the void is not an internal battle that begins with the user, its an external one that comes from the void itself and affects every user to different degrees. And we are show in game and in lore the more the said user gives into the void, the stronger these voices become.

Now if the user is already evil, this can increase the effects.

I imagine in a Void expansion she'll vanish (possibly doing something shifty as well) and one of the plot hooks is whether she's "evil" or not. In the end she won't be and did everything she did for some greater purpose.

Quote Originally Posted by Raisei View Post
    Uhm... there is an entire race using the Void for good and there are Shadow and Discipline Priests and Warlocks in part also using it for good. @Varodoc is completely right, the Void is as evil as any other weapon. Yes it can corrrupt if you let it, but so can the Light as Yrel clearly shows.
    Yrel's actions are a form of fanaticism. It's not corruption by the light. You don't need magic to do what Yrel is doing, she's given into a dogma that has questionable moral implications.