Page 4 of 7 FirstFirst ...
... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by Darknessvamp View Post
    So I've been whooping with laughter since I saw this, they've reiterated what we've known about Sylvanas' thoughts on death and the unfairness of life and blah blah blah for ages now but now they're presenting it as some grand reveal of motivation for the last three expansions and it's just pure nonsense. Add on the fact they've got Anduin to act as the representative of the part of the player base that just straight up hate her and questions how can she be so evul for the last two expansions and she responds with "It's all for the greater good." Fuck me, not only has Blizzard done it yet again but they also are wasting an ages old favourite character of the franchise to pull the "The Big Bad is doing explicitly evil things but don't worry it's for the good of all and even though it is for the good of all from a certain point of view, you the player must oppose them because we won't be able to keep doing this otherwise" First it was Sargeras, then it was Azshara/Nzoth and now it's Sylvanas/Jailer.
    One can expect they might put a twist on it later on in a future patch and have Sylvanas' shock and horror as the Jailer turns out to be an even badder guy than she thought and regrets/dies because of her actions and has an even twister redemption plot (Basically their version of 'Shadowlands is Free) or maybe they'll just yeet her out of the story again and say she disappeared/died off screen.

Either way I fully expect lunacy now.
    It's bad writing, for sure. Danuser and whoever helps come up with the big story lines are awful. There is still writing talent at the company, the people who write the questing level content can still make good stuff. But the overall story is laughable, it's even worse than the pro-fan fiction books they've been churning out with people like Golden. And that's saying a lot, that the official game writers are worse.

Wow has always been a shallow pool when it comes to story - Metzen did a credible job pulling it all together, culminating in the Chronicles, but Danuser just stinks on ice, with being creepy about it as a bonus. Might as well change it to "World Of My Queen Sylvanas".

I won't even try to explain how dumb "let's storm the afterlife for lootz!" is. You either buy it and hold your nose on the hamster wheel, or you don't. Of all of the cool things they could have done taking the game into a completely different plane of existence, they just churned out 4 zones that look like every WoW zone since the beginning of the game. They took the player to the afterlife, where mortal rules don't matter. They did little to show that you're not in the living realm anymore. You could throw the new zones onto the Legion map, and there'd be no disconnect at all. The maw i just an unfinished Argus.

I'll stop there. i played the beta, I could go on quite a while on it's flaws. I saw how shallow the story is, but it's lower on the list of reasons why I gave it all a hard nope.

Quote Originally Posted by Life-Binder View Post
    Sylvanas is based
    This.

/10 char

Quote Originally Posted by vizzle View Post
    You guys are really bad at this, go have some more conversations with people, lol.
    Look, I have been married for 34 years and loving or longing will make you do some stupid stuff. Never know with Blizz to pull some crap like that.

Anduin saying "I am so tired of your games" is very relatable because it mirrors the feelings of the community who are also very tired of Blizzard's writing.

"Man, wasn't it cool when Daenerys said 'I'm going to break the wheel'?" - Steve Danuser

Quote Originally Posted by Slowpoke is a Gamer View Post
    Heard it before, Sylvanas. Had an entire raid about it in Wrath, and MoP, and Legion, and BFA. Guess what, our free will always wins out against cosmic forces trying to use us as pawns.
    Actually we are still pawns, we want the loot and it's rinse and repeat. Pawns to the system and pawns to blizzard.
    The sun has set on this mortal world fools make peace with your end for the hour of twilight falls!

Well actually not surprised. Sylvanas are going Kerrigan I hope.

Also the existence of Shadowlands basically nullifies everything that happened in mortal life so these puny elf on the tree don’t count at all.

If what she is saying is true, it would explain why the jailer, literally standing 50 feet away from us in the maw intro didn't kill is there. Instead he let us charge up the portal and escape. There are more maw creatures then legion monsters so why didn't the jailer or his fleet kill us? I have a feeling that the jailer was sent there by force. Now he is using the unbreakable will of the *champions* to aid him. But first we have to level up and get stronger.

Sylvanas whole speech only begs a lot of questions, like...
    • What exactly do she even mean by "free will?"
    • What cycle/system(s) does she think she's trying to break?
    • How does she know breaking this "cycle" isn't going to royally fuck up reality itself?

The last point is what really gets me worried about how Blizz handles her "motives." Natural cycles aren't just arbitrary things someone somewhere set up to be toyed with, they are the result of a multitude of chaotic systems eventually finding an energy balance. Messing with any one part, like introducing a new species or damning a small river, just triggers the Law of Unintended Consequences. It's weird to me that they have Sylvanas seemingly arbitrarily assume that she can mess with this balance of energy between life and death, and not really fuck things up for everyone.

SOOOOO sylvannas is the Yhwach of warcraft?

Quote Originally Posted by Nynax View Post
    Sylvanas whole speech only begs a lot of questions, like...
    • What exactly do she even mean by "free will?"
    • What cycle/system(s) does she think she's trying to break?
    • How does she know breaking this "cycle" isn't going to royally fuck up reality itself?

The last point is what really gets me worried about how Blizz handles her "motives." Natural cycles aren't just arbitrary things someone somewhere set up to be toyed with, they are the result of a multitude of chaotic systems eventually finding an energy balance. Messing with any one part, like introducing a new species or damning a small river, just triggers the Law of Unintended Consequences. It's weird to me that they have Sylvanas seemingly arbitrarily assume that she can mess with this balance of energy between life and death, and not really fuck things up for everyone.
    You make a good point, however during the campaign we're told that current Shadowlands weren't actually this way in the past. So the original order had already been disturbed at some point. We don't know how and to what extent though. What's more, Shadowlands didn't come to be naturally, they were created, so were the zones, by their respective caretakers. I'm not even sure if natural order applies in WoW because everything (except light and void?) was seemingly created by some other higher being.

And now that I think about it, has there ever actually been order and balance in Warcraft's universe at any point in time? Cosmic forces are constantly one upping one another. One could argue that the constant fight IS the balance but that doesn't turn out well for the little people. At some point something's gotta give
    Last edited by bagina; 2020-11-24 at 08:43 PM.

5+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Musta View Post
    SOOOOO sylvannas is the Yhwach of warcraft?
    Anyway Anduin the chosen one, already feels like Ichigo .

"Tt is precisely what i need"
    Please, there a perfect example of hypocritical thinking:
    Quote Originally Posted by Teriz View Post
    If Tinkers had anything to do with Hunters, but they don’t. Unlike Bards which are linked to Rogues.

When does this cinematic occur? I've already saved Anduin in ntro questline and it wasn't shown.

Quote Originally Posted by Nerovar View Post
    Anduin saying "I am so tired of your games" is very relatable because it mirrors the feelings of the community who are also very tired of Blizzard's writing.
    Honestly? That was the one part in that scene that I liked because it felt so goddamn relatable.

Keyboard Turner
    10+ Year Old Account
    "We have never had free will! We're in a video game called World of Warcraft! Nerds sit at their computers and control our every action."

3+ Year Old Account
    I'm so sorry Alleria but I think I'm a Sylvanas fanboy now

The tension between those two is off the charts. Just make out. It's hard to take anymore conflict between them seriously after watching them flap their gums at each other during all of BfA. At this point they're like an old married couple regurgitating the same old arguments. This is where Shadowlands' narrative is already tiresome; it's the same two characters' ideals clashing at the forefront. I thought with Anduin being imprisoned we'd get another protagonist's perspective, but no. We get a scene nearly identical to Ruins of Lordaeron or every other Sylvanas/Anduin face-to-face.

Quote Originally Posted by dope_danny View Post
    I can't wait for her to get the mangekyo sharingan and ultra instinct to balance the force forever as a giant angel made of fire.
    Not gonna lie I'd take it. To me the story has always been pretty meh, the more anime/trash it gets the better for me.