Page 1 of 5
... LastLast

Sherwin-Williams fires employee for TikTok videos.

https://www.insider.com/college-stud...tiktok-2020-11

Tony Piloseno, a senior at Ohio University in Athens, Ohio, said he was fired from his part-time job at the local Sherwin-Williams store for making viral TikTok videos mixing paint.

The creator announced his firing earlier in November in a TikTok video that's since gone viral, earning more than 6 million likes since he posted it. He was fired in late July after working at the paint shop for three years, he told BuzzFeed News.

"Last year, I started making paint videos at the store showing everyone how satisfying paint mixing could be," he said in the video. "I noticed the videos were doing well and people seemed to be enjoying on TikTok."
    In case you need any more proof that most companies are run by out of touch boomers who still think this whole "internet" thing is just a fad.

He added he had even created a presentation to show the Sherwin-Williams marketing department how TikTok could be beneficial to the company's marking strategy, but he said the company wasn't interested in viewing his presentation after several attempts at reaching the company's vice president of marketing.
    Gotta love dinosaurs

I'll always be thankful I live in a country where you can't just be instantly fired 'just because' with no recompense for you or potential sanctions for the employer.
    Also,
    He added he had even created a presentation to show the Sherwin-Williams marketing department how TikTok could be beneficial to the company's marking strategy, but he said the company wasn't interested in viewing his presentation after several attempts at reaching the company's vice president of marketing.
    If this is true it makes the whole situation twice as sad. He tried to be a good little capitalist, do the 'right thing' and got slapped down anyway.
    Tonight for me is a special day. I want to go outside of the house of the girl I like with a gasoline barrel and write her name on the road and set it on fire and tell her to get out too see it (is this illegal)?

If yes doing it while he's at work and on the clock then I dont blame the employer. You're there to work. Not make tik tok videos.
    Kom graun, oso na graun op. Kom folau, oso na gyon op.

#IStandWithGinaCarano

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by the game View Post
    If yes doing it while he's at work and on the clock then I dont blame the employer. You're there to work. Not make tik tok videos.
    Just evidence of how capitalism stifles creativity and innovation even when it stands to actually increase revenue through exposure, lul.
    Quote Originally Posted by Marjane Satrapi
    The world is not divided between East and West. You are American, I am Iranian, we don't know each other, but we talk and understand each other perfectly. The difference between you and your government is much bigger than the difference between you and me. And the difference between me and my government is much bigger than the difference between me and you. And our governments are very much the same.

That's just a really ignorant way to run a business..

"this guy is going viral mixing our pain!!! exposing us to millions of people and potentially it could be something we can capitalise on!!! but he's not doing it the right way! fire him! I mean sure he tried to tell us about his marketing idea but not!" Says old crotchety man.

7+ Year Old Account
    Seems like a big no-brainer for getting free extra exposure for your store.

Wonder what the customer complaint was.

10+ Year Old Account
    Rule #1 for working at Sherin-Williams: do not, under any circumstances, ever mix fruit into paint cans.

And this mad lad did it. What a hero.

10+ Year Old Account
    And one video has over 6 million likes. Honestly, that's free advertising for the company and they should be paying him for it. They really need to re-evaluate their priorities and learn how to leverage social media. But as others have said, boomer dinosaurs think employee is wasting company time on social media.

10+ Year Old Account
    So, no indication he was actually fired for "making TikTok videos". The evidence points to him breaking company policies about unapproved additives to paint and so forth.

As for the "I tried to get them to understand my TikTok power" nonsense; Sherwin-Williams is a Fortune 500 company with stores in 120 countries. Of course the VP of marketing of a major multinational didn't respond to your e-mails. Particularly if the primary gain from your viral pirate marketing was people asking for adulterated products the company doesn't actually support or sell. The way that kind of shit works is you demonstrate the success of your marketing efforts on the local level, and use that success to argue for expanding your efforts nationally/internationally. If your TikTok videos didn't increase sales, they're not a marketing success.

Quote Originally Posted by Endus View Post
    So, no indication he was actually fired for "making TikTok videos". The evidence points to him breaking company policies about unapproved additives to paint and so forth.

As for the "I tried to get them to understand my TikTok power" nonsense; Sherwin-Williams is a Fortune 500 company with stores in 120 countries. Of course the VP of marketing of a major multinational didn't respond to your e-mails. Particularly if the primary gain from your viral pirate marketing was people asking for adulterated products the company doesn't actually support or sell. The way that kind of shit works is you demonstrate the success of your marketing efforts on the local level, and use that success to argue for expanding your efforts nationally/internationally. If your TikTok videos didn't increase sales, they're not a marketing success.
    It could have been. I didn’t know what the fuck that store was when I saw the name. I hadn’t heard about them in like decades. Only make paint I can instantly think of is behr.

Exposing millions who mayn’t have a clue or forgot they exist should lead to future customers.

Unless it’s losing money I don’t see the logic in caring.

Trying to see what the big deal is here...

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Themius View Post
    It could have been. I didn’t know what the fuck that store was when I saw the name. I hadn’t heard about them in like decades. Only make paint I can instantly think of is behr.

Exposing millions who mayn’t have a clue or forgot they exist should lead to future customers.

Unless it’s losing money I don’t see the logic in caring.
    Again, there's basically no evidence the guy was fired because he made TikToks that went viral.
    It's about what he did during those TikToks, breaking company rules and policies.
    Same basic reason you'll get fired from McDonalds for sharing a video or you dipping your nuts into the big mac sauce, no matter how viral that video gets.

Really the entire issue here turns on if he was a moron and actually sold paint to customers that had been adulterated without their knowledge or consent. From my reading, it seems more like the company was contacted by a confused boomer and/or troll about the video of him mixing blueberries into paint moreso than someone opening their paint at home with blueberries in it.

If he only mixed things into the paint customers had asked for or in fact his own paint there's really no need to go sniffing around Sherwin-Williams' boot (Their logo is existentially horrifying btw).
    Remember a company has no legal or moral onus not to lie to the press (especially when they can essentially never be proven wrong). Secondly, company policy violations could be literally any reason whatsoever, Ohio is an at-will state. The reason for termination, in this case, could literally be "We don't like employees being popular on tiktok".
    Tonight for me is a special day. I want to go outside of the house of the girl I like with a gasoline barrel and write her name on the road and set it on fire and tell her to get out too see it (is this illegal)?

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Saltysquidoon View Post
    Really the entire issue here turns on if he was a moron and actually sold paint to customers that had been adulterated without their knowledge or consent. From my reading, it seems more like the company was contacted by a confused boomer and/or troll about the video of him mixing blueberries into paint moreso than someone opening their paint at home with blueberries in it.
    Yeah he claims that he purchased all the paint that was used.

Again, there's basically no evidence the guy was fired because he made TikToks that went viral.
    It's about what he did during those TikToks, breaking company rules and policies.
    Same basic reason you'll get fired from McDonalds for sharing a video or you dipping your nuts into the big mac sauce, no matter how viral that video gets.
    That's full-on illegal. A reprimand would have made sense for this paint guy.

Quote Originally Posted by callipygoustp View Post
    Wonder what the customer complaint was.
    Didn't taste good.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Themius View Post
    That's full-on illegal. A reprimand would have made sense for this paint guy.
    Depends on how seriously the company takes these policies. We really don't have any information of why he was actually fired. That's sort of my point from the start.

7+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Saltysquidoon View Post
    I'll always be thankful I live in a country where you can't just be instantly fired 'just because' with no recompense for you or potential sanctions for the employer.
    Also,

If this is true it makes the whole situation twice as sad. He tried to be a good little capitalist, do the 'right thing' and got slapped down anyway.
    It was probably due it would of been documented that it wasn't the VP's idea so he passed on it since he wouldn't be able to take credit for it and further advance his career or get bonuses.

- - - Updated - - -

Depends on how seriously the company takes these policies. We really don't have any information of why he was actually fired. That's sort of my point from the start.
    If it's anything like fast food places you are not allowed to film onsite. Probably due to possible liabilities that may be exposed if it occurs,

Honestly he is going to probably sue and they will settle it out of court, buddy won't have to work ever again so smart move on his part, and I guarantee tons of people will come to defend him and make the company look bad.