Gigabyte 34" or Dell 27" Monitor Recommendations

I'm currently using a Dell U3415W 34" Widescreen with 60 Hz refresh. I'm looking to break out of the 60 Hz refresh finally. My graphics card is a GeForce RTX 2060. I'm looking at the following two monitors:

Dell S-Series 27-Inch Screen LED-Lit Gaming Monitor (S2719DGF); QHD (2560 x 1440) up to 155 Hz; 16:9; 1ms Response time; HDMI 2.0; DP 1.2

Gigabyte G34WQC 34.0" 3440x1440 144 Hz Monitor

Any recommendations on which one to pick? I do enjoy the 34" screen size, but from what I'm reading, that size is not really good for gaming. In addition, at that size, is there a concern about the video card not being able to drive the monitor's refresh rate?

Any advice on this one from anyone?

Quote Originally Posted by Lery View Post
    Any advice on this one from anyone?
    I'm not a monitor expert, but here's my two cents:

I would gravitate towards the Gigabyte monitor simply because it has a VA panel, whereas the Dell has a TN panel. You'll get a much better contrast ratio with a VA panel, meaning much deeper blacks. It's a very personal thing, but I can't stand greyish blacks on a display.

I can't imagine your graphics card would cause any issue with the larger monitor. There may be a few frames difference in performance, but I can't imagine it would be noticeable.

Quote Originally Posted by jellmoo View Post
    I'm not a monitor expert, but here's my two cents:

I would gravitate towards the Gigabyte monitor simply because it has a VA panel, whereas the Dell has a TN panel. You'll get a much better contrast ratio with a VA panel, meaning much deeper blacks. It's a very personal thing, but I can't stand greyish blacks on a display.

I can't imagine your graphics card would cause any issue with the larger monitor. There may be a few frames difference in performance, but I can't imagine it would be noticeable.
    Thank you. What about one with an IPS panel? I believe the LG 27GL850-B has that panel in it.

I'm currently using a Dell U3415W 34" Widescreen with 60 Hz refresh. I'm looking to break out of the 60 Hz refresh finally. My graphics card is a GeForce RTX 2060. I'm looking at the following two monitors:

Dell S-Series 27-Inch Screen LED-Lit Gaming Monitor (S2719DGF); QHD (2560 x 1440) up to 155 Hz; 16:9; 1ms Response time; HDMI 2.0; DP 1.2

Any recommendations on which one to pick? I do enjoy the 34" screen size, but from what I'm reading, that size is not really good for gaming. In addition, at that size, is there a concern about the video card not being able to drive the monitor's refresh rate?
    Hey man, just wanted to throw my two cents in here. I actually own 2 of the Gigabyte monitors you’re talking about.. they are absolutely amazing, I’ve had no issues whatsoever and they look great! I’d definitely grab one or two. The 144hz and 1ms response rate is an absolute must with your card.

Thank you. What about one with an IPS panel? I believe the LG 27GL850-B has that panel in it.
    It would have similar blacks as the TN panel. When looking at the specs, look for the contrast ratio. The LG has a contrast of 1000:1. The Gigabyte with the VA panel has a contrast of 3000:1. The bigger the number, the deeper the blacks you'll get.

For me, greyish blacks drive me absolutely nuts, so I try and look for monitors with higher contrast ratios, which usually means a VA panel. The down side of a VA panel is that you don't get the better colour accuracy of an IPS display, and a TN panel will usually get you a slightly faster response time. There's no perfect panel type, you kind of have to prioritize what's most important to you.

Dell makes a newer, IPS version of that monitor (S2720DGF), as an FYI. Might be S2719 - the numbers are Size (27") and Year (19 or 20). I dont remember if it was released last year or this year.

Additionally - i have the G-sync only version of the older TN panel (S2716DG, instead of DGF) - its otherwise identical to the DGF (same panel). For a TN panel, the colors are quite good - about as good as a lower-end/cheap IPS. Its still a great monitor and i have no intention of replacing it. Keep in mind though that i only use it for gaming. My daily driving is done on my Mac which is plugged into two 1440p IPS displays.

Still, depending on the price, i'd go with the newer IPS version unless its massively more expensive.
    Last edited by Kagthul; 2020-11-27 at 09:30 AM.

is there a concern about the video card not being able to drive the monitor's refresh rate?
    Did some digging because i bought a new monitor recently

At (or close to) max settings and ray tracing enabled your 2060 will run current games around 40-100fps (RTX3080 can run them 80-160fps) So a 144Hz monitor is wasted. Obviously with lowering some settings you can reach that refresh rates.

Also i would buy only an IPS panel, that's the solid middle ground. But that's personal preference

I think one of the best and not way too expensive 27' 2560x1440 144Hz gaming monitor is Asus TUF Gaming VG27AQ 27
    But if you want something extra spicy for extra dollars there is the ASUS ROG Strix XG279Q with better colours, real HDR, local dimming etc. (i bought this one and love it)

Edit: Also here is the BEST site ever to compare monitors. For example here is the Dell you linked vs. my monitor Just change the monitors on the top if you want to test other ones
    Last edited by Vilendor; 2020-11-27 at 10:02 AM.

10+ Year Old Account

34" is blurry motion it is a low-spec VA. Nearly every brand is using the same VA panel because it is so cheap relative to the IPS 34" UW's.

If you care about dark level smearing/ghosting you won't like it. But a lot of people say they don't notice it, therefore it could be perfectly fine for you.

*Dark level smearing is a trait of VA monitors. Not individual panel specific, but universal.
    Last edited by Daffan; 2020-11-27 at 09:58 AM.
    Content drought is a combination of catchup mechanics and no new content.

Thank you everyone! Great information. Everything you all have said, is also what I'm finding in my research. In addition Hardware Unboxed just reviewed the Gigabyte monitor https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=C5FunMmbztw Unfortunately the monitor looks sold out everywhere so I might have to wait a little.

I'm coming from the 34" size. I was concerned about going back down to 27". I do enjoy the extra screen space. My main use is gaming and nothing else. I am looking forward to getting away from the 60 Hz refresh. Also, while my current video card might not be taking advantage of the 144Hz, I do like to plan for future upgrades and do plan on building a new PC very soon.

Thanks to everyone for their replies. It was all very helpful. In the end, and before I saw the post from JavelinJoe, I went with the G34WQC. It was on sale and I didn't want to miss it.

Thanks to everyone for their replies. It was all very helpful. In the end, and before I saw the post from JavelinJoe, I went with the G34WQC. It was on sale and I didn't want to miss it.
    Hi! I am also interested in Dell S2719DGF. I'm trying to collect information and users experience to be sure in this purchase. Firstly, I've downloaded its manual from http://dell.manymanuals.com/ and read it and I think it will suit me. So, I'm going to buy it in the nearest time.
    Have you bought it? What is your impression?
    Last edited by TaniaNio; 2020-12-19 at 03:08 PM. Reason: To make information more precise

Sorry I know this is a little late, I recently went on a similar quest and ended up with this:

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B08DWD38VX

Great monitor.

Edit: This is actually the first purchase for my new rig I'm building once I can find one of the new Ryzen processors. I'm currently running an OC'd 4790k and a rtx 2080. This is all for WoW, and maybe P4G since I heard they had a 3rd party ultrawide patch out there somewhere.

Edit 2: I know what the other poster is talking about, I don't when you see gray instead of black too. My main TV is an OLED LG CX now, and it is incredible. It just doesn't bother me much on PC because I tend to not watch video content on my computer, just gaming, and I don't notice it much during gaming. If this was my main TV watching device, I would make a completely different decision.
    Last edited by Zenfoldor; 2020-12-11 at 08:39 PM.