Page 6 of 10 FirstFirst ...
... LastLast
    Loved it, and I had almost decided i hated it in advance.

Maldraxxus on the other hand....
    Not my cup og tea.

But all the zones were pretty great

Quote Originally Posted by det View Post
    Fair point. Like I said in another post...I shouldn't have spoiled myself with all the covenant stuff that happens later

That said: So this is how we will play the story also on all of our alts? Linear from the Maw to Oribos to Bastion etc?
    Still working through Arden, so I don't know. The story so far has been we go where we need to to follow events. We see winged beings working for Jailer, we go to where winged beings are. Maldraxxus attacks winged beings we go there to prevent two planes from going to war. Things go to crap in Maldraxxus so we go back into the Maw to save a Maldraxxi leader to try to keep things from doing to hell, only to find someone else. Return to Maldraxxus, get message to give to other leaders we haven't spoken to yet, so go to one of the two spots we haven't yet. That's as far as I've gotten.
    The most difficult thing to do is accept that there is nothing wrong with things you don't like and accept that people can like things you don't.

10+ Year Old Account
    Not a big fan but it's mostly because covenants represent a single emotion or value i think is the correct way to put it? So there isn't a lot of story there on the surface, do like the tie ins if you take time to smell the roses so to speak with Oro and Uther references.

However i am holding off since these are introductions to the zones and so they could build on more on them later considering they are all tied to a specific covenant.

That and i am not going into WoW expecting the same level of story telling as i see in some single player rpg's.
    “My philosophy is: It’s none of my business what people say of me and think of me. I am what I am and I do what I do. I expect nothing and accept everything. And it makes life so much easier.
    ― Anthony Hopkins

Quote Originally Posted by melzas View Post
    Wow, must be awesome to be you, being bored by everything. I kinda feel sorry for you, that you find it so hard to be entertained.

The zones are very different from one another, and yet you still think they are all boring and unoriginal? Can you give an example of "original" zone?
    From the top of my head :
    -A zone where everything is part of a giant "living" organism (although Maldraxxus looks like a giant decaying one, hence my opinion on it being a little less boring)
    -A zone that's highly mechanical in nature, where souls become cogs to a growing giant machine, or are cleansed by it and redistributed upon the Universe after that process.
    -A zone that's a conglomerate of all cosmic forces in the universe, mixing and creating strange unwordly creatures and alliances.
    -A zone where souls go to be tempted with every sin imaginable, and if they succeed resisting them, they can reach "enlightment"and a higher status. (sounds a bit like Revendreth, but emphasis would be on different areas representing different sins)

Those may seem to lack logic, but came from the top of my head, once again, and I find them to be more original thematically and on a visual PoV.
    Although I'd, once again, give credit to Maldraxxus and Revendreth for aesthetics alone.

This expac has horrendous quest design and story. The story only passable at the end of Ardenweald.

BUT Revendreth has been very good. Really funny, great story and scenery. Quest design is far better and the zone itself, visually, is incredible.

I woul say that [my favourite covenant]has the best zone and quests, the graphics are nice, i like the NPCs, whereas [my least favourite] covenant really has a terrible design, and the [covenant nr 3 and 4] are simply bland.
    A witty saying proves nothing.
    -Voltaire
    winning
    plus ça change, plus c'est la même chose

It is awesome but it is indeed kind of boring, it can be both lol.
    Lead Game Designer

YouTube Channel

https://www.youtube.com/@Nateanderthal

10+ Year Old Account
    Epic Premium
    The thing about Bastion for me was that, at least initially, I found it absolutely breathtaking in terms of the environment and art. This feeling lasted a grand total of about 10 minutes before I entered into a strange form of effective override and it sort of started to grate. About 20 minutes in the starkness and sameness started actively bothering me, it felt more like being bludgeoned by brightness and the heavenly chorus. Once you hit the story-arc concerning the Forsworn it started to get better, but those initial quests in the first three or four hubs was hard on the senses, at least for me.

Bastion is also the runner-up next to Ardenweald for longest zone questing runtime (if you're a completionist like me), so it was a pretty long haul all in all.
    "We're more of the love, blood, and rhetoric school. Well, we can do you blood and love without the rhetoric, and we can do you blood and rhetoric without the love, and we can do you all three concurrent or consecutive. But we can't give you love and rhetoric without the blood. Blood is compulsory. They're all blood, you see." ― Tom Stoppard, Rosencrantz and Guildenstern are Dead

Quote Originally Posted by det View Post
    Fair point. Like I said in another post...I shouldn't have spoiled myself with all the covenant stuff that happens later

That said: So this is how we will play the story also on all of our alts? Linear from the Maw to Oribos to Bastion etc?
    After you do the story on one character you can basically avoid it all on every character after. All but the short bit at the beginning inside the Maw. You get to pick your covenant or choose to level through it as normal. If you choose the Threads of Fate (not following the story) you can go to each zone and get a story quest that's just a bar to fill. You fill it by just doing quests, including dailies or dungeons in the zone. It seems to replace the chaptered story quests in each zone. And you can start doing dailies to get your AR started early. You'll also be able to queue up for the four starting dungeons right away.

Also OT: Yeah it felt like a cheap knock of Pandaria but with Angels to appease the crotchety christian crowd.
    Last edited by blankfaced; 2020-11-25 at 03:51 PM.
    I'm a thread killer.

Im enjoying playing it cause content and new shit to do but i lost the bastion story after i think the 5th NCP.

Agree but leveling has always been the boring process before you can really start enjoying the game. I hope they find a way in next expansions to make it optional.

I think it's really interesting that after Legion they decided to walk back on letting players choose which zone to do first. It worked really well during that expansion. But Blizzard started railroading people again in BfA due to the factional nature of the expansion so players were separated for being Horde or Alliance. It was not a particularly good choice for a living game world supposedly filled with players, or world PvP, or just about anything, really. And now this same bad decision making carries over to Shadowlands. Except the the whole reason behind it (faction seperation due to territories) no longer exists. Both Horde and Alliance do the same zone anyway. So, why? Why not start at Maldraxxus, or Ardenweald instead of Bastion? Why force players to do content they don't really care about to unlock a covenant?

The answer to all 3 of these questions is the same: It takes more time. More time to develop, which loses Blizzard money. And more time for players to complete, which earns them more money. The game will forevermore be made with this lacklustre direction that demands more and more from players and much, much less from the developers, as it has been for a long while now.

Overall the campaign is great, but...

Whoever designed the world quests should never, ever hold any position in game development.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by wombinator04 View Post
    This expac has horrendous quest design and story. The story only passable at the end of Ardenweald.

BUT Revendreth has been very good. Really funny, great story and scenery. Quest design is far better and the zone itself, visually, is incredible.
    Dredgers are my favorites so far.

WTB playable Dredgers!
    Hariuha laþu laukar gakar alu ole lule laukar

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Season2mask View Post
    Edit: In case you feel inclined to write something like, 'People like different stuff', don't bother, you're really wasting your time. Yes, of course everything is subjective. This is my subjective opinion. It's a discussion, not an attack on your very soul. It's great that you love Bastion. I don't.

Awww... you don't want people voicing their opinion on a topic, in a thread where you voiced your opinion on said topic. "It's a discussion" but don't actually discuss it.

Logic/10

I thought the story/lore behind it was pretty interesting and the zone was pretty, but the quests themselves were boring.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by peepeepoopants View Post
    I think it's really interesting that after Legion they decided to walk back on letting players choose which zone to do first. It worked really well during that expansion. But Blizzard started railroading people again in BfA due to the factional nature of the expansion so players were separated for being Horde or Alliance. It was not a particularly good choice for a living game world supposedly filled with players, or world PvP, or just about anything, really. And now this same bad decision making carries over to Shadowlands. Except the the whole reason behind it (faction seperation due to territories) no longer exists. Both Horde and Alliance do the same zone anyway. So, why? Why not start at Maldraxxus, or Ardenweald instead of Bastion? Why force players to do content they don't really care about to unlock a covenant?

The answer to all 3 of these questions is the same: It takes more time. More time to develop, which loses Blizzard money. And more time for players to complete, which earns them more money. The game will forevermore be made with this lacklustre direction that demands more and more from players and much, much less from the developers, as it has been for a long while now.
    I think the way they structured it validates the reason why they chose these 4 realms instead of other realms. You kind of just get led into each of them due to circumstances from previous zone. However, they could have easily just done "all 4 of these places are important and they all need your help. So choose one." I think Legion was actually a better expansion to do linear questing similar to WoTLK. Start at the outside on ships, and then make your way in to consolidate support on the Broken Isles to make an assault on the legion.. or something along those lines.
    Last edited by GreenJesus; 2020-11-25 at 05:36 PM.

I can even say right now that this is my least liked zone of any released in expansions I've experienced... The visuals are boring and the questing has been a snoozefest.

Only thing I love about it is the wittle adorbs owl peeps.

Quote Originally Posted by Deja Thoris View Post
    Bastion sucks.

The theme is also shit. It's like fucking self doubting cult members that need to take cleansing baths every 5 minutes to something something.

Yawn.
    Exactly this. Creepy ass cult. Couldn’t wait to get out. Doesn’t matter if it’s the best for performance. No way I’m hanging around that place.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Gimlix View Post
    Bastion is legit one of the better zones they made. And you complain about it? Smh
    Better in what way?
    It was the most boring of the 4 levelling zone, and the one that hurt the eyes the most; blue and gold gets old extremely fast.

With most boring, most fugly and the self righteous lawful good vibe, I'd rate it as a failed zone.
    Fact (because I say so): TBC > Cata > Legion > ShaLa > MoP > DF > BfA > WoD = WotLK

My pet collection --> http://www.warcraftpets.com/collection/FuxieDK/

It's true, this leveling experience feels like you are constantly waiting for some fucking RP to finish. Terrible experience.