Thread: Windows 10 Pro

Windows 10 Pro

I've been saving for a while for my next build. I expect most of the significant purchases won't happen until April. That said, given the time of year, I've been buying things on sale that I expect won't change between now and then. So far I've purchased the SSDs and case. I'll need to get an OS, and I found I can get Windows 10 Pro for $120 pretax. Based on PCPartPicker, it hasn't been cheaper than that in over a year, and it was only that low for a week last year. I am wanting to know if this is a price I should pull the trigger on, or if people have seen it lower and/or if it may be worth waiting to buy later.

Just go get one of those OEM keys that websites sell for about €10-15. Technically microsoft's license doesn't allow you to use it that way but in practice they don't care. They just want to have a large growing userbase to milk data from windows 10 telemetry and push paid services and ads. Just make sure to use the key when your build is complete. Those keys have limited tolerance on hardware changes. It's not a problem for a GPU swap, or additions like more ram/hdd etc. But you can't swap CPUs and Motherboards that freely.

Edit: additional information
    Last edited by panos20; 2020-11-25 at 03:26 PM.

The $120 is for an OEM key.
    https://www.newegg.com/microsoft-win...82E16832588491
    (The promo code gives $20 off)

I'm not worried about the technicalities of OEM keys, the machine I'm using now is using an OEM licensed version of Windows. That said, for that price, I'm concerned how savory or not those websites are.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by MasterNewbie View Post
    The $120 is for an OEM key.
    https://www.newegg.com/microsoft-win...82E16832588491
    (The promo code gives $20 off)

I'm not worried about the technicalities of OEM keys, the machine I'm using now is using an OEM licensed version of Windows. That said, for that price, I'm concerned how savory or not those websites are.
    They're perfectly safe to use. I'd never pay more than 20 dollar/euro for windows.

Also not sure why you need windows pro

I just pm you the site I use in case you want to buy the license there.