Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst ...
LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by Mendzia View Post
    There is not difference in quests between Classic and vanilla...

They were lying to you.

After Cata quests are TOTALLY different in most cases.
    You can't compare them.
    There is, read people posts about early vanilla. People I know played WoW since beta. The actual WoW early beta.

im gonna hit 60 in the nightfae zone.... If anything I want the leveling experiance too take longer.

I hit 60 before I was finished with the edgelord zone. I had no problems with hitting the level thresholds during levelling.
    I did no side quests as I want to save them for my alts who will only do one zone.
    I do have flower picking and that gives quite a bit xp.

The only way I can imagine that someone finishes the campaign without hitting 60 is if someone did their best to not engage in any combat whatsoever.

10+ Year Old Account
    halfway through 57 and haven't finished maldraxuss yet, are you actively not trying as ive only done quests that showup and haven't gone out of my way to find anything yet..

So you missed quests and didn't hit max level and your suprised?

Quote Originally Posted by PixelFox View Post
    This is a warning for anyone who thought like I did that it would be clever to just do the mainline story quests (the ones with a shield ! icon) and save the side quests for later. Well, guess what, you'll hit a wall at level 57 where you can't continue with the mainline story quest chain until you get to 58.

So, time to re-trace my steps and start grinding side quests for 3/4 of a level.

Thanks O'Blizzard!
    Were you in warmode? I had plenty of main story quest left when I hit 60.

10+ Year Old Account
    So what.

How is this an issue? You said it yourself, jsut go back and do some sidequests.

I chose to complete every side mission with WM on, and I am still in Maldraxxus at level 56 and 3/4. But I don't go around making threads complaining about how fast it is to level.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Biggles Worth View Post
    Were you in warmode? I had plenty of main story quest left when I hit 60.
    Most likely he didn't use Warmode. If so, OP is literally doing everything in his power to sabotage his own leveling process, and then complaining about it. I don't really get it tbf.

i dont get it. i mainly did the campaign quest with a very few regular quests and got 60 30 minutes into revendreth. no dungeons and even warmode off.

I mean. Why not look at your xp bar and determine while you go through campaign if you need more or not? I managed to make it so I ended up at 60 at the end of revendreth campaign just by looking at xp bar.

Hell it evens shows you quest log xp for easier management.
    Error 404 - Signature not found

Scarab Lord
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Lucetia View Post
    This was never the case in old expansions. My first time through was always doing the quests only and never once experienced that or heard of it. Where as this expansion there have been several threads about it and major complaints during beta.
    In early Vanilla it was most assuredly the case. In what, the mid-40s, there was a serious dearth of quests, and lower quests (which were still plentiful) went grey, and you didn't qualify for the higher ones.

In TBC I know it was possible to follow the story and not hit 70, but there was no concept of main vs. side quests.

In WotLK you could end up having to go back and do part of a zone you were supposed to do only one of. I know because they happened many times.

In Cataclysm there was a similar issue.

However the complaint you're making is semi-nonsensical. The OP is right to say don't try and get too smart and do no side quests *at all*. That's a reasonable point and useful to know. Your claim that no previous expansion had this issue is absolutely false. The only reason you even dare to say it is that previous expansions didn't have the critical path clearly marked. If they had, and you followed that and ignored everything else, you'd have had the same problem.

I do agree though that aside from Vanilla, I'm not aware of any expansion where you could run out of quests before hitting max. However, you can't run out of quests in SL without hitting max. So that's a wash. You're just complaining that you have to do non-critical-path quests. That's been true in most expansions. It's not new. It's just potentially slightly disingenous in SL.

However, it's only a problem you'll even encounter if you:

1) Stick ruthlessly to critical-path quests.

2) Do not start with nor accrue any measurable amount of Rested XP.

3) Don't do any dungeons nor do anything else that gives XP.

If pretty much any of those is false, you'll be fine.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by dewd View Post
    i dont get it. i mainly did the campaign quest with a very few regular quests and got 60 30 minutes into revendreth. no dungeons and even warmode off.
    If you have like, even vaguely normal rested XP that you'd get from logging off for most of the day, and took a few days, or if you do even a moderate number (like single-digit) of sidequest chains, you're fine.

You have to kind of really work to get the problem the OP is describing.
    "A youtuber said so."

"... some wow experts being interviewed..."

"According to researchers from Wowhead..."

Having to do quests to level is not an issue, and certainly not an oversight on Blizzard's part.

I don't get people complaining that Blizzard didn't make the campaign give enough quests/xp to get to max level. That's not what the campaign is for? The campaign is the storyline. You aren't meant to be able to level all the way to max only following it. It takes you through all the other areas and quests hubs for a reason. Otherwise, why bother having optional quests? Why not just have the campaign only and all other quests only unlock at 60.

For example in Bastion, when you go to the temple before it's attacked. There are optional quests right there in the zone you're now going to be spending the next short while in for the campaign anyway, why wouldn't you do them while there? They even give context to the people there and why they are there. Ignoring them is ignoring parts of the story.

It's a bit like reading a book, but taking all description out. Imagine Game of Thrones, but none of the characters are ever described, none of the towns or cities are described, you're never told the North is cold and snowy. You could still have the story, it'd still make sense, but you'd be missing a lot. Man from the north knocks down a wall to attack people in the south. While accurate, it's definitely missing something.

TL;DR The campaign is designed to be done with the none campaign quests complementing it. Ignoring them all then complaining the campaign doesn't give enough xp is a you problem, not a Blizzard one.

Scarab Lord
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Lucetia View Post
    Huh? Classic had way more quests than you ever needed to level. The only way you'd have that problem is if you avoided zones altogether.
    Classic is 1.12. It's after they fixed this problem.

Vanilla was not always 1.12. I played from NA open beta and day 1 live. Earlier on, particularly pre-Maraudon patch, when you hit the 40s, I forget which point exactly, you could get into a situation where all the quests you could find were either grey, or not obtainable due to being too low-level. You then had to basically either scour Azeroth for quests, or just kill mobs to level (to be fair, the latter method was how pre-WoW MMOs generally worked, so that's what we did - find the best XP, fastest-spawning mobs we could and kill them until we gained enough levels - it was only 2 or 3 - that we started being able to get quests again.

This got fixed because Blizzard added a lot of quests and so on, to backfill that gap. But it wasn't always fixed. And I can only assume you didn't play early WoW given that you're unaware of this.
    "A youtuber said so."

"... some wow experts being interviewed..."

"According to researchers from Wowhead..."

I hit 60 in Ardenweald. I don't think Blizzard is to blame for this one.

Quote Originally Posted by Tziva View Post
    I don't understand how y'all are managing this. I did very few side quests (mostly a handful of ones done incidentally in the same area as campaign quests), only one bonus objective (in bastion), no dungeons, no rested, no gathering, no warmode, and I hit 60 about 3/4 the way through the revendreth story.

I mean, I believe you, I just don't understand how. Even if I eliminated the few extraneous quests I did, I feel like that would have made a half level difference at most, not three entire levels.
    I decided to bust straight through, and ignore side quests. I also hit those two walls, before 53 and 58. It's not a huge deal, but I was surprised to see it. In the end, it took about 4 side quests to hit 53, and about 7 to hit 58. That's not really that many, but I do know quite a few people who were only doing the story quests, and ran into the same problems.

Go back and do some side quests, that is what I did when I started to realize I wasn't going to have enough.

I really don't believe this lol. I started up shadowlands on a 48 and was 54 before leaving Bastion. Didn't do any dungeons or grinding.

Quote Originally Posted by PixelFox View Post
    This is a warning for anyone who thought like I did that it would be clever to just do the mainline story quests (the ones with a shield ! icon) and save the side quests for later. Well, guess what, you'll hit a wall at level 57 where you can't continue with the mainline story quest chain until you get to 58.

So, time to re-trace my steps and start grinding side quests for 3/4 of a level.

Thanks O'Blizzard!
    I had the opposite problem, I dinged 60 right at the beginning of Revendreth and ended up having to do quests for another 1.5 hours. There's a lot of variability unfortunately. I had warmode on and collected herbs/ore. I did a lot of side stuff in Bastion too until I realized what I was doing. Point is, there's no way to "balance" this exactly because people are going to play differently.
    Check out my Ret Paladin YouTube channel: https://www.youtube.com/c/VarabenGaming

#RETPRESENT

ZOMG I EXPECT TO ONLY DO STORYQUESTS AND EXACTLY DING 60 WHEN I AM DONE, OTHERWISE OMEGALUL BLIZZ FAIL LOOOOOL.
    Jesus. FKIN. Christ.

Im a quest ho, do all the side quests in zones before i leave them. Was 55 before i left bastion. Some of them were annoying with pitiful drop rate tho.