Pally coming back from 7 Year break. Ret Stat Priority?

Hey guys I've just woke up from a 7 year nap and I'm back for Shadowlands.

When I can last remember, stat priority was Str (gems) then Haste to cap >> Mastery>> crit >> Versitilty was new and no one didn't know how to use it.

Now I come back and gear is interchangeable, NO str gems, and gearing/stat priority is confusing.

Can I get some proper insight?

Hey Bro,

There actually isn't a stat priority this time around. There are no breakpoints, no priorities. Your stat prio can change with almost every new piece you acquire. The best thing to do at this current time is to just sim yourself with every new acquisition.

STR will amost always be ahead of secondary stats though.
    Last edited by KidBaam; 2020-12-08 at 07:37 PM.

Most ilvl upgrades will take priority over secondary stat allocations due to the higher priority stat; in this case, strength. For gear acquired with an ilvl identical to your equipped item, Haste is still your best secondary stat with Versatility being approximately equal but slightly behind, and Mastery and Crit following the same principal, respectively.

That said, the above commenter is mostly correct. You don't want to only stack Haste and Versatility and leave yourself with a pathetic amount of Mastery and Crit, so simming potential upgrades is highly recommended.

Don't throw away any gear either. For example you may replace a 184 item with another 184 item that sims better. Later on you get another item with completely different stat allocations and suddenly that 184 item you had replaced before sims better.
    Last edited by Bootynuzzler; 2020-12-08 at 07:47 PM.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Skulldancer View Post
    Hey guys I've just woke up from a 7 year nap and I'm back for Shadowlands.
    Can I get some proper insight?
    Maybe not perfect, but does give some insights on all classes and specs --> https://www.icy-veins.com/wow/paladi...ds-patch-9-0-2
    Last edited by FuxieDK; 2020-12-16 at 05:34 AM.
    Fact (because I say so): TBC > Cata > Legion > ShaLa > MoP > DF > BfA > WoD = WotLK

My pet collection --> http://www.warcraftpets.com/collection/FuxieDK/

Quote Originally Posted by Bootynuzzler View Post
    Haste is still your best secondary stat with Versatility being approximately equal but slightly behind, and Mastery and Crit following the same principal, respectively.
    This isn't true unfortunately. While it may be true for your character in particular, the main point I want to convey is that it really depends on the individual. For instance, Mastery is my best stat, ahead of Haste. I wouldn't state any secondary stat as the best, because it's so subject to change on a individual basis.

Quote Originally Posted by KidBaam View Post
    This isn't true unfortunately. While it may be true for your character in particular, the main point I want to convey is that it really depends on the individual. For instance, Mastery is my best stat, ahead of Haste. I wouldn't state any secondary stat as the best, because it's so subject to change on a individual basis.
    Quote Originally Posted by Bootynuzzler View Post
    Most ilvl upgrades will take priority over secondary stat allocations due to the higher priority stat; in this case, strength. For gear acquired with an ilvl identical to your equipped item, Haste is still your best secondary stat with Versatility being approximately equal but slightly behind, and Mastery and Crit following the same principal, respectively.

That said, the above commenter is mostly correct. You don't want to only stack Haste and Versatility and leave yourself with a pathetic amount of Mastery and Crit, so simming potential upgrades is highly recommended.

Don't throw away any gear either. For example you may replace a 184 item with another 184 item that sims better. Later on you get another item with completely different stat allocations and suddenly that 184 item you had replaced before sims better.
    I ran across this pally that gears crit super heavy. What is your guys take? https://worldofwarcraft.com/en-us/ch...hyjal/Braydrel

I ran across this pally that gears crit super heavy. What is your guys take? https://worldofwarcraft.com/en-us/ch...hyjal/Braydrel
    Looks like he's just running the highest ilvl stuff he got.

Quote Originally Posted by KidBaam View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Lixion View Post
    Looks like he's just running the highest ilvl stuff he got.
    so is it haste>> VERS>> Mastery>>>> Crit????

Should we gem for Str???

Mechagnome
    15+ Year Old Account

Should we gem for Str???
    Gems are secondary stats only. Whoops guess I'm wrong
    Last edited by Space Troll; 2020-12-15 at 06:57 PM.
    Quote Originally Posted by Surreal
    grim toll is the worst trinket you could get for survival. Hands down Meteorite wheat stone is better than it.

Your highest throughput stat for the most part will be ilvl.

If comparing two pieces with the same ilvl, sim yourself.

www [dot] raidbots [dot] com/simbot

(forums won't let me post a link, old account- long time lurker, infrequent poster)

If you can't be bothered, you will be fine, all secondary stats are approximately equal to each other.

As far as gems/enchants go, I typically go with Haste but the correct answer is always simming yourself.

Quote Originally Posted by Space Troll View Post
    Gems are secondary stats only.
    uhhh might want to check your facts on this one.

Should we gem for Str???
    Secondary stats are equal value.

It's weapon dps >>>> STR >> haste=crit=vers=mastery. Secondary stats usually vary from 0.6-0.9 dps per point depending on how much you have of what while strength is usually over 2.3 and wdps is over 12.

There are strength gems, but they're BFA gems, the Leviathan's Eye and Kraken's Eye of strength respectively and they are worth it to use at 7 and 6 strength respectively. They are unfortunately unique equipped so for any sockets over 2 you use Shadowlands gems.

If you want to minmax, due to the perfectly equal value of secondary stats you must sim yourself with raidbots top gear. If you don't care about minmaxing that much I would suggest going for haste because it's fun to smack buttons fast or versatility because it's nice to take less damage.

Should we gem for Str???
    As others have mentioned, there's no flat stat weights like you're suggesting. Take ilevel upgrades and if you really care about slight variations, keep sidegrades in ilevels. But as far as gems/enchants, because the secondary stats are so similar and changing, just pick one and go with it. I like mastery because it's flat damage and sims SLIGHTLY better for me (depends if you do M+ or single target and what covenant, etc.), with no RNG (like crit). But it's just preference. I also like haste because it "feels better" to have a shorter GCD, and there are times when that .1 second GCD might mean getting a LOH/bubble off or not. And haste sims close to mastery, so it's whatever.
    Check out my Ret Paladin YouTube channel: https://www.youtube.com/c/VarabenGaming

#RETPRESENT

Quote Originally Posted by attias View Post
    Your highest throughput stat for the most part will be ilvl.

....all secondary stats are approximately equal to each other.
    When did this happen?????

10+ Year Old Account

Should we gem for Str???
    Oh sweet baby, you have to understand - nothing matters except ilvl these days. There's no thought required.
    Originally Posted by Blizzard Entertainment
    Because fuck you, that's why.

"Stats don't matter" Hammer of Wrath Discord bot yadda yadda. Play with low Haste and tell me stats don't matter. That's why we all love Hero/Lust. Just equip whatever you want, and if you want to prioritize a certain stat, go for it.
    Last edited by Gloriandus; 2021-08-31 at 02:38 PM.
    Google doc with all plate mogs complete with import codes! PLATE TRANSMOG-O-RAMA

Quote Originally Posted by Requitus View Post
    "Stats don't matter" Hammer of Wrath Discord bot yadda yadda. Play with low Haste and tell me stats don't matter. That's why we all love Hero/Lust. Just equip whatever you want, and if you want to prioritize a certain stat, go for it.
    I don't really think that's what they're saying though. Like there just isn't one or two stats leading the charge, if you have 1k haste and 500 of the others your haste is going to be real low value. Not enough to stop you using most ilvl upgrades but you are going to be noticeably weaker than someone with the same ilvl but more balanced stats.