Offspec - Protection. Do I need a tanking set?

Noobish question from returning player

Beyond a one-hand weapon and a shield… do I need a dedicated tanking set? I guess some stat weighs are different from ret to prot, but does that matter enough that I want to switch to a lower ilvl piece of gear?

Thanks

Haste is great for all speccs so basically no, you don't need an offset, trinkets help and a weapon is a must

No, dps trinkets are better cos tank dps matter so you only need 1h and shield

besides the weapon/shield and maybe trinkets depending on the situation,some defensive trinkets can be rly strong if an enounter demands it,besides that,depends on what stats the class needs,for pala haste is good for both,but as prot you may wanna look for more mastery than you would as ret

Quote Originally Posted by Wysmark View Post

Beyond a one-hand weapon and a shield… do I need a dedicated tanking set? I guess some stat weighs are different from ret to prot, but does that matter enough that I want to switch to a lower ilvl piece of gear?

Thanks
    depends how serious you want to take it.

fury/prot war here, for tanking lower difficulty stuff just throwing on a sword and shield is generaly fine.

if like you me you plan to raid as dps but be "main spec" prot for pushing high m+ keys then you need a properly stat weighted off spec set with a collection of tank trinkets tailored for the m+ you want to push.

so it depends how far you want to go with it really.

10+ Year Old Account
    You don't need a tanking set. Tank trinkets are a nice bonus but not needed.

Thanks, good to know

Quote Originally Posted by Wysmark View Post

Thanks
    Haste/Mastery (or Haste/Vers) are great for Prot, but they're close enough. Haste is a big QoL/survival improvement because of SotR.

The only specific item you may want to build towards (depending on how often you want to tank) is either Bulwark or Sigil legendary. They really do make a difference.

For pugging id definately get some defensive trinkets as you can quickly find yourself out of shield of right and needing to self heal which increases the dmg yoy take. But for the most part if you have enough haste you can sustain yourself defensively quite comfortably. Nothing is more fun then prot pally tanking as you got so much abilities you can use and dmg is pretty insane.

Quote Originally Posted by ipoststuff View Post
    You don't need a tanking set. Tank trinkets are a nice bonus but not needed.
    Good to know. About to start playing again

As someone above said - depends on what you're planning to do.
    If you want to do higher lever content - then having a proper tank set would be really good. Prot pala can be really squishy in high level M+, so having proper gear and trinkets would help quite a bit. And prot DPS is pretty insane to begin with, so you'll be good even with tank trinkets.