1. #1

    Build of the month - Puppy

    So I noticed that the Build of the month page suggests getting Ryzen 5 3600X for the cheapest builds.

    I remember that when those CPUs release everyone was saying they are basically the same thing as 3600, just with the better heatsink, and that's the only reason to pay 80$ more, because performance difference is negligible.
    But the build suggest getting a custom heatsink anyway. So why does it suggest paying 80$ more for nothing?
    I have enough of EA ruining great franchises and studios, forcing DRM and Origin on their games, releasing incomplete games only to sell day-1 DLCs or spill dozens of DLCs, and then saying it, and microtransactions, is what players want, stopping players from giving EA games poor reviews, as well as deflecting complaints with cheap PR tricks.

    I'm not going to buy any game by EA as long as they continue those practices.

  2. #2
    Moderator chazus's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2011
    Location
    Las Vegas
    Posts
    16,969
    Your best bet if you're wanting to build a system is to ask here (or more specifically, the build/upgrade subforum)

    That said, I don't think a 3600 can be easily acquired anymore, regardless of price, new. So no matter what the price is, the 3600X may be the only option. The 3600X is also apparently sold out in most places too.
    Gaming: Dual Intel Pentium III Coppermine @ 1400mhz + Blue Orb | Asus CUV266-D | GeForce 2 Ti + ZF700-Cu | 1024mb Crucial PC-133 | Whistler Build 2267
    Media: Dual Intel Drake Xeon @ 600mhz | Intel Marlinspike MS440GX | Matrox G440 | 1024mb Crucial PC-133 @ 166mhz | Windows 2000 Pro

    IT'S ALWAYS BEEN WANKERSHIM | Did you mean: Fhqwhgads
    "Three days on a tree. Hardly enough time for a prelude. When it came to visiting agony, the Romans were hobbyists." -Mab

  3. #3
    Quote Originally Posted by procne View Post
    So I noticed that the Build of the month page suggests getting Ryzen 5 3600X for the cheapest builds.

    I remember that when those CPUs release everyone was saying they are basically the same thing as 3600, just with the better heatsink, and that's the only reason to pay 80$ more, because performance difference is negligible.
    But the build suggest getting a custom heatsink anyway. So why does it suggest paying 80$ more for nothing?
    AMD doesn’t have two tiers of heatsink. The argument is the same as with the 10850k v 10900k, you can overclock the cheaper option to be functionally equivalent in 95% of the cases.

    - - - Updated - - -

    Quote Originally Posted by chazus View Post
    Your best bet if you're wanting to build a system is to ask here (or more specifically, the build/upgrade subforum)

    That said, I don't think a 3600 can be easily acquired anymore, regardless of price, new. So no matter what the price is, the 3600X may be the only option. The 3600X is also apparently sold out in most places too.
    This is basically the only reason, but at this point with stock issues you may as well be looking at 5000 series.

  4. #4
    Quote Originally Posted by Vegas82 View Post
    AMD doesn’t have two tiers of heatsink. The argument is the same as with the 10850k v 10900k, you can overclock the cheaper option to be functionally equivalent in 95% of the cases.
    3600X does ship with a better heatsink.
    i7-6700K @ 4.6GHz cooled by Thermalright Silver Arrow IB-E Extreme | ASRock Fatal1ty Z170 Gaming K6+ | 16GB Corsair Vengeance LPX DDR4-3000/CL15 @ 3200/CL14 | MSI GTX 1070 Gaming X | Corsair RM650x | Cooler Master HAF X | Logitech G400s | DREVO Excalibur 84 | Kingston HyperX Cloud II / Samson SR850 | BenQ XL2411T + LG 24MK430H-B

  5. #5
    Quote Originally Posted by Thunderball View Post
    3600X does ship with a better heatsink.
    Dunno how I missed that. I guess I’ve used too many CPUs with no cooler lately.

  6. #6
    only thing that surprised me in that configuration is the price of 1660 Super... which is absurd... $560, like what a hell. But then I noticed it's pulling info from a Amazon page that has 1 offer cuz the product is actually unavailable. But in the suggest part still cheapest one is like $380.

    even in my country where usually components are like 10-20% more expensive than in US, the price of 1660S is around $300...

  7. #7
    There's something strange with the build of the month anyways. Recommending 1440p 144hz display for a RTX 2060 and 1080p for RTX 3070. Doesn't make sense to me anyways.

  8. #8
    Quote Originally Posted by Viikkis View Post
    There's something strange with the build of the month anyways. Recommending 1440p 144hz display for a RTX 2060 and 1080p for RTX 3070. Doesn't make sense to me anyways.
    I don't think the "puppy" build should be $1400 either. There are builds that hover half the price of their puppy build that would be more reasonable for an entry level build.
    :::: Intel 10900k w/ Corsair H100i
    :::: ASUS Maximus XII Formula
    :::: 64GB Corsair Dominator RGB 3600mhz DDR4
    :::: Samsung 512gb 960 PRO m.2 nvme ssd (OS), Samsung 1TB 950 EVO ssd
    :::: Nvidia RTX 3090 Founders Edition
    :::: Pop!_OS

  9. #9
    Please wait Temp name's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2012
    Location
    Under construction
    Posts
    13,536
    Quote Originally Posted by Viikkis View Post
    There's something strange with the build of the month anyways. Recommending 1440p 144hz display for a RTX 2060 and 1080p for RTX 3070. Doesn't make sense to me anyways.
    Yeah it's super weird. The top-tier build uses a 2060 while the step-down uses a 3070

    There's also a couple other things like that in it..

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •