Is it better to go with a pvp covenant or a pve covenant?

Kind of torn here myself. I enjoy dabbing my foot into pvp now and then but I'm kind of split on what I should be doing for gear.

Should I go pve with my covenant choice raid mythic and crush people with an ilv advantage or should I go with a pvp covenant to get the edge there but likely be unable to raid mythic at a level where the gear would put me ahead?

The class in question is a ret pally deciding between kyrian or vent.

Apples and Oranges.
    Which one do you prefer? Keyword being YOU

15+ Year Old Account
    Not sure why you would see Kryian as a good choice for PvP because they're more of a burst cleave option than anything else. Not much burst cleave goes on in PvP. Venthyr with Nadjia gives you a haste buff (your #1 stat after strength) and essentially gives you an AOE stun (which can be used as another interrupt) by making your Door of Shadows disorient everyone for 6 seconds. If that alone doesn't scream PvP I don't know what does. Venthyr is also the suggested PvE Covenant too.

I really don't think that covenant choice will limit you any more than your choice of class/spec. I'm pretty sure the difference between worst and best covenant for ret paladin is much smaller than the difference between ret paladin and whatever happens to be the FOTM spec.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by gaymer77 View Post
    Not sure why you would see Kryian as a good choice for PvP because they're more of a burst cleave option than anything else. Not much burst cleave goes on in PvP. Venthyr with Nadjia gives you a haste buff (your #1 stat after strength) and essentially gives you an AOE stun (which can be used as another interrupt) by making your Door of Shadows disorient everyone for 6 seconds. If that alone doesn't scream PvP I don't know what does. Venthyr is also the suggested PvE Covenant too.
    Go watch Savix's video on it, it's very good for PvP because of it's conduit, and I'm pretty sure it has interactions with the lawbringer PvP talent, I know it did in beta.
    Last edited by Schattenlied; 2020-11-28 at 06:59 AM.
    A gun is like a parachute. If you need one, and don’t have one, you’ll probably never need one again.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Noctiphobia View Post
    I really don't think that covenant choice will limit you any more than your choice of class/spec. I'm pretty sure the difference between worst and best covenant for ret paladin is much smaller than the difference between ret paladin and whatever happens to be the FOTM spec.
    Aye, I think FOTM class is a bigger factor than Covenant, especially with FOTM class+best PvP Covenant for that spec.

If you're going to be pushing ranked you're going to likely get rolled if you aren't running a PvP class/spec+PvP Covenant for that spec. I'd say play a FOTM spec, and see if there is a FOTM spec where the best Covenant is the same for both PvE and PvP (I don't know if one exists or not; I don't care enough about PvP to keep track of most things related to PvP).
    Quote Originally Posted by Bigbamboozal View Post
    Intelligence is like four wheel drive, it's not going to make you unstoppable, it just sort of tends to get you stuck in more remote places.
    Quote Originally Posted by MerinPally View Post
    If you want to be disgusted, next time you kiss someone remember you've got your mouth on the end of a tube which has shit at the other end, held back by a couple of valves.

Divine Toll won't do you much good in PVP, until you get high level conduit.

So not anytime soon really.
    Quote Originally Posted by Tennisace View Post
    You will eventually realize nobody takes you seriously.
    Quote Originally Posted by derpkitteh View Post
    i am no weeb. i am just a connoisseur of fine waifus.

Quote Originally Posted by Krakan View Post
    Kind of torn here myself. I enjoy dabbing my foot into pvp now and then but I'm kind of split on what I should be doing for gear.

Should I go pve with my covenant choice raid mythic and crush people with an ilv advantage or should I go with a pvp covenant to get the edge there but likely be unable to raid mythic at a level where the gear would put me ahead?

The class in question is a ret pally deciding between kyrian or vent.
    In PVP you measure up directly to other players, your victory is determined by direct comparison. In pve others could fill the gap for you, and their successes and failures are much more important in determining your succes than in pvp.
    Thus i would go for pvp, unless you absolutely desperately need every boost you can get for pve, but few actually need that. Most just need to not stand in the fire.
    This is a signature of an ailing giant, boundless in pride, wit and strength.
    Yet also as humble as health and humor permit.

Furthermore, I consider that Carthage Slam must be destroyed.

Quote Originally Posted by loras View Post
    In PVP you measure up directly to other players, your victory is determined by direct comparison. In pve others could fill the gap for you, and their successes and failures are much more important in determining your succes than in pvp.
    Thus i would go for pvp, unless you absolutely desperately need every boost you can get for pve, but few actually need that. Most just need to not stand in the fire.
    I agree. On top of that, from what I've gathered, pretty much all covenant skills are balanced around pve and dps difference between worst and best Is usually 1-3%, so you won't see much difference.

PvP skills can go from Op to useless. For instance enhance sham can either go for massive damage/heal burst cd from venthyr or... channenelled aoe from night fae that is going to be interrupted by any fart in PvP so essentially useless (even if they sim close dps for pve)