So crafts are still mostly useless for yourself ... ?

Talking about Crafter's mark II. So using this sets the ilvl to 168 .. which is a little less than heroic ... but once again, by the time you get enough rep to purchase this, you'll be already wearing gear that is better or a lot better.

Am I missing something or are crafts just useless stuff that you just mail to alts or try to sell?

Quote Originally Posted by kranur View Post
    Talking about Crafter's mark II. So using this sets the ilvl to 168 .. which is a little less than heroic ... but once again, by the time you get enough rep to purchase this, you'll be already wearing gear that is better or a lot better.

Am I missing something or are crafts just useless stuff that you just mail to alts or try to sell?
    How do you plan on getting your legendaries without a crafted base?

If you only mean green and blue gear they have always been a catch-up and very start of expansion mechanic. I crafted a few pieces to get into hc queues earlier, what else do you want from a profession?
    Last edited by Tang0; 2020-11-28 at 10:21 AM.

Yeah, professions are useless for your main char. If you are not a solo player and just don't visit dungeons you'll have way better gear when you can craft Mark II. Use them for your alts to skip right into mythic dungeons. Professions are only endgame for solo players.

As for legendaries: if you don't plan on doing auction house pvp and selling a lot of those base items it doesn't make financially sense to learn higher ranks yourself. If you are not the first to supply them you'll have difficulties recover your costs. Soul Ash is timegated, so maybe not even the first makes some gold due to competition.

Quote Originally Posted by Tang0 View Post
    How do you plan on getting your legendaries without a crafted base?

If you only mean green and blue gear they have always been a catch-up and very start of expansion mechanic. I crafted a few pieces to get into hc queues earlier, what else do you want from a profession?
    Except not. The legendary piece is the legendary piece. Talking about the modern approach to professions. A ling time ago professions yielded items that would help you gear up for heroics, and even had 1-2 items bis.

There is a whole set itemlevel around 150 (I forgot exactly) from crafting that helps you to enter HC dungeons. You can craft for yuorself upgraded base for legendary. There are crafted mats to guarante stats on items you want. Inscription have new trinkets and theres alot more.

Professions are not useless, they are just not op or mandatory if you dont wanna bother with crafting and prefer to just buy stuff. I prefer this state than being forced into specific profession because its better for my build/spec.

I don't want to open a new topic so i'll ask here: so tailoring/blacksmith/leatherwork is useless if you don't want to delve into the legendary business? I mean, sure they can craft drumms or armor kits etc, but that's all? I already can buy those for a few golds from the AH. And the rest of the professions look weak too. 4-5 useful recipes for JC/Enchant/Inscription and only Alchemy and Engineering looks useful trough the whole expansion. Do i miss something?

I need some gems for my hologram

Quote Originally Posted by kranur View Post

The point of this gear is to just send it to an alt for when they ding 60 and they can go straight into mythics/battlegrounds with a respectable enough item level.

Players don't want powerful crafted gear as the only way to justify its power is limiting its mats to mythic bosses and perhaps a gladiators weekly chest.

We used to have them in tbc and everyone complained.

Unless you are into "auction house PvP" (lovely term, I'm gonna remember that one) with legendary base items, then yes, armor crafting is pretty much a useless waste of time on a main character.

Exceptions are alchemy (flask durations for cheapskates like me), engineering (maybe? haven't bothered with it since TBC) and enchanting (turn your old gear in valuable materials).

I will mostly craft myself tier 1 base items over the course of the first patch with an alt and attempt to collect the appearance for after SL (I guess you still don't unlock them as transmog yet?). I have a feeling the other datamined tints will be used whenever a new content patch hits and way higher levels are needed.
    Last edited by Cosmic Janitor; 2020-12-04 at 07:58 AM.
    You are welcome, Metzen. I hope you won't fuck up my underground expansion idea.

Quote Originally Posted by Haidaes View Post
    Exceptions are alchemy (flask durations for cheapskates like me), engineering (maybe? haven't bothered with it since TBC) and enchanting (turn your old gear in valuable materials).
    Engineers have loot-a-rang which is hands down the best invention in WoW. Only you get used to it, you'll never want to loot anything by hand.