5+ Year Old Account

Leveling alts in Shadowlands

Helloes,

Just a question:

I understand that a game is not specifically designed for leveling alts, though that is what I like.
    Previous expansions allowed me to level them differently:
    - choosing a starting area
    - Horde/Alliance alts had different zones
    - islands expeditions (yes I liked them )

In Shadowlands the questline is a one direction -> Bastion -> Maldraxxus -> Ardenweald -> Revendreth.
    This is the same for Horde and Alliance.
    I actually like this too, cause it gives me a feeling to be in the bigger story. Like a journey.

Right now I foresee its gonna be boring for me to do the same line, same order on each alt.
    Are there any alternatives besides pvp and dungeons?

Quote Originally Posted by BB8 View Post
    Helloes,

Just a question:

I understand that a game is not specifically designed for leveling alts, though that is what I like.

In Shadowlands the questline is a one direction -> Bastion -> Maldraxxus -> Ardenweald -> Revendreth.
    I actually like this too, cause it gives me a feeling to be in the bigger story. Like a journey.

Right now I foresee its gonna be boring for me to do the same line, same order on each alt.
    That's how it was in every expansion until WoD.

Don't like it? Buy a boost (which is actually the most efficient way to level since XP is way overtuned from 50 to 60, takes FOREVER)

Quote Originally Posted by Zeanix View Post
    well you can choose fate on your alt. it opens up much of the game. You choose a covenant from the start, you can pick any zone to level, world quests is open to you.

Im having a blast with it, it's really open.
    What Zea said. The intended alt experience is the threads of Fate. They only added an option to retell the storyline for those who really wanted to. Having a covenant from 50 onward is great on my alts so far.

I came back during the free weekend and leveled plenty of characters, even 2 new characters to replace my old, poorly named or raced monk and warlock, right? Leveling 1-50 is the BEST leveling experience i ever had in WoW. It's SO open, you can choose between all the zones in the game!!! It's INCREDIBLE!

Threads of Fate tho? It's like only being allowed to level in BFA during BFA. It's...boring and slow...probably better than redoing the campaign, but if you're not playing with rested xp, it's probably gonna be a pain to level alts with it, at least until they add flying or something.

5+ Year Old Account
    well you can choose fate on your alt. it opens up much of the game. You choose a covenant from the start, you can pick any zone to level, world quests is open to you.

Thanx. This seems nice indeed.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Queendom View Post
    Gracias! This was what I was looking for

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Edlarel View Post
    What Zea said. The intended alt experience is the threads of Fate. They only added an option to retell the storyline for those who really wanted to. Having a covenant from 50 onward is great on my alts so far.
    <3 yes I am reading it all now.

I like the idea but I'm very disappointed in it.
    I wanted to see this alternate path, and it's a more "classic'" lvling experience

However, as my first alt is my enchanting toon, I feel frustrated by the lack of gear-rewarding content I'm facing (few quests, 2/3 bonus objectives per zone).

I'm currently halfway in the second zone, but it seems abysmal compared to the flow of items that I got through the main storyline with my main. Kind of a bummer here.

Quote Originally Posted by Ninix View Post
    I like the idea but I'm very disappointed in it.
    I wanted to see this alternate path, and it's a more "classic'" lvling experience

However, as my first alt is my enchanting toon, I feel frustrated by the lack of gear-rewarding content I'm facing (few quests, 2/3 bonus objectives per zone).

I'm currently halfway in the second zone, but it seems abysmal compared to the flow of items that I got through the main storyline with my main. Kind of a bummer here.
    I was able to send so much stuff to my enchanter from my main, and anything green/blue I got on him went toward disenchant as well. Now I'm at 120 enchanting without spending thousands on AH dust.

Quote Originally Posted by Edlarel View Post
    I was able to send so much stuff to my enchanter from my main, and anything green/blue I got on him went toward disenchant as well. Now I'm at 120 enchanting without spending thousands on AH dust.
    I'm struggling with the Eternal cristals.
    No Purple BoE to send from the main, and low inputs of those on the alt :s
    Kinda stuck around 75ish (a few points before the 2nd stage of ring enchants that could help me a lot as they only require Blue materials)

Quote Originally Posted by KayRule View Post
    You had more options on the order and more variety though.

The Unstoppable Force
    15+ Year Old Account
    Where Thrall and the Horde needs me to be
    Quote Originally Posted by BB8 View Post
    Helloes,

Just a question:

Not really, that only really applied in WoD (until you left your starter zone) and BFA. Every other expansion had each faction start in the same zones.

Amazing sig, done by mighty Lokann

From my understanding the tuning for the alt leveling system is way worse and you might as well just do the story campaign again? any update on this yet?

Going Threads of Fate was a complete mistake; in the time it takes to clear a single bonus objective for one quest worth of XP, you could do at least one or two quest hubs.
    It became clear that it wasn’t realistic to try to get the audience back to being more hardcore, as it had been in the past. -- Tom Chilton

10+ Year Old Account
    Once you have done chapter 1 of your covenant campaign, your alts can chose threads of fate. So on your main, check the journal, it should say under campaign something like 1/9 (where 9 is however many chapters your covenant is, I don't know if it's 9.) This is basically, you've unlocked the basics of your covenant.

When you do Threads of Fate, you don't have to do the story again, but instead get to go straight to your covenant and do world quests, bonus objectives, and side quests in whatever order you desire. Preach says the campaign is still faster, but non-linear leveling is more of my thing. I didn't feel like my paladin (my 2nd 60) was any slower than my druid (who had to do the campaign.) So you can do the campaign again, but you don't have to.

For example, my gatherer alt did Threads of fate and went from 50-54 mostly from herbing/mining lol.

Another alternative is to do the campaign upto and (IMPORTANT) not including level 60. Then go turn on Threads of Fate, pick your covenant, hit 60 and start endgame. However, after hitting 60, Threads of Fate is no longer an option, so you'll have to finish the campaign, including the final scenario in Revendreth.
    Last edited by Adam Jensen; 2020-11-30 at 08:32 PM.
    Putin khuliyo

I cannot recommend Threads Of Fate right now. Better to do the story as that choice is reversible. The Bonus objectives are downright cynical in their design.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Queen of Hamsters View Post
    I cannot recommend Threads Of Fate right now. Better to do the story as that choice is reversible. The Bonus objectives are downright cynical in their design.
    Yeah the bonus objectives are disgusting, I mostly skip those now. Like, the fuck? I gotta kill 50-75 mobs just for some measly pants I'll replace in the next dungeon or some quest experience?

I still prefer threads because I like making my own choses, but the bonus objectives piss me off.
    Putin khuliyo

I leveled my alt druid through Threads of Fate- didn't have any issues. Took about the same amount of time as it did for my main to go through the storyline. I did skip most of the 'bonus objective' zones, though, as they just take too much time. Only completed them if I was already doing a WQ or quests in the area. You get a huge chunk of experience for completing a bar for each zone (which just fills up as you do rares/quests/etc in the zone). I ended up a little short of 60, and did 2-3 dungeons to cap it off rather than go back to find some quests/bonus zones.

It doesn't save much time.
    The big 4 zone quests take 40 dungeon runs (10 each zone) or 100 world quests to complete.
    You may hit level 60 before you can take advantage these 4 quests.

Chain dungeons is a little bit faster.
    However, after you hit level 60, you will run normal and heroic.
    It becomes a chore.

Quote Originally Posted by KayRule View Post
    Did you not play Wrath or Cataclysm?

Quote Originally Posted by Ninix View Post
    I'm struggling with the Eternal cristals.
    No Purple BoE to send from the main, and low inputs of those on the alt :s
    Kinda stuck around 75ish (a few points before the 2nd stage of ring enchants that could help me a lot as they only require Blue materials)
    So, you have 2 options. Either join an epic farm and destroy them for the crystals, or sell them and buy the crystals, depending on your server economy and cost to value of the crystals versus the epics themselves.