Page 1 of 2
LastLast
    10+ Year Old Account

anima as the new grind

it is not a fun grind when you have to try for it thats for sure. a super pro tip for those who havent done it yet is waiting to turn in the dungeon quests that give you 750 anima until you have accepted the weekly quest to collect 1000 anima. previously acquired anima wont count towards it. another pro tip for night fae who unlocked their garden is getting the 1k anima collect quest for that done in addition to the renown weekly. some of us had to learn the hard way and WQS are not fun when you could easily cheese 2 quests with the two separate dungeon turn ins. this feels like a worse grind than artifact power for weapons/neck by far. but hopefully it'll ease up.

Quote Originally Posted by Uggorthaholy View Post
    Thanks but no thanks, Lora, for making me question everything in existence forever.

It's an MMO, there will always be a grind. It's what makes it an MMO and it's what keeps people subscribed and logging in. Grinds ensure long-term progression.

What else do you expect?
    "There is no end to education. It is not that you read a book, pass an examination, and finish with education. The whole of life, from the moment you are born to the moment you die, is a process of learning." by Jiddu Krishnamurti, Philosopher and Educator

You can basically reduce everything into a grind if you want to.

People raiding over and over are grinding the bosses. People pvping are grinding the BG.

In mmos you do the same content over and over to reach some kind of long term goal.

Grind used to mean getting into a zone and find a place where you killed the same mobs over and over for weeks.

Thats a grind.

Doing WQs is not a grind.

Also anima is not that important. So any type of forced notion you experience into do them is on you.

Elemental Lord
    7+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Lora View Post
    it is not a fun grind when you have to try for it thats for sure. a super pro tip for those who havent done it yet is waiting to turn in the dungeon quests that give you 750 anima until you have accepted the weekly quest to collect 1000 anima. previously acquired anima wont count towards it. another pro tip for night fae who unlocked their garden is getting the 1k anima collect quest for that done in addition to the renown weekly. some of us had to learn the hard way and WQS are not fun when you could easily cheese 2 quests with the two separate dungeon turn ins. this feels like a worse grind than artifact power for weapons/neck by far. but hopefully it'll ease up.
    you don't need to do it though. that is the point. it literally gives you zero player power. so yeah it's a bit of a grind but if you do your daily heroics, a few world quests here and there and you're done 3-4 days into the reset but if you don't care about cosmetics, mounts etc then don't do it. you might be a bit behind on renown if you don't want to grind out the thousand anima each week but you will always be able to catch up

Quote Originally Posted by Tesshin83 View Post
    You can basically reduce everything into a grind if you want to.

People raiding over and over are grinding the bosses. People pvping are grinding the BG.

In mmos you do the same content over and over to reach some kind of long term goal.

Grind used to mean getting into a zone and find a place where you killed the same mobs over and over for weeks.

Thats a grind.

Doing WQs is not a grind.

Also anima is not that important. So any type of forced notion you experience into do them is on you.
    Exactly, its only a grind if you make it a grind. Just do the WQ's to finish the daily and be done with it. If you need more anima to complete the 1k quest, just do it and wash your hands of it and move on. Dont put it in your mind that you "have" to do it. Just have fun with it.

15+ Year Old Account
    The only reason you should be doing WQ's is for reputation with the factions you're interested in. Rep is the grind, not the anima.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Malania View Post
    The only reason you should be doing WQ's is for reputation with the factions you're interested in. Rep is the grind, not the anima.
    anima makes rep grind faster and is currency for the reps. hello???

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by MrLachyG View Post
    you don't need to do it though. that is the point. it literally gives you zero player power. so yeah it's a bit of a grind but if you do your daily heroics, a few world quests here and there and you're done 3-4 days into the reset but if you don't care about cosmetics, mounts etc then don't do it. you might be a bit behind on renown if you don't want to grind out the thousand anima each week but you will always be able to catch up
    other than you can literally buy gear with it and then upgrade said gear with it eventually.

- - - Updated - - -

https://www.wowhead.com/npc=175419/c...r-lamda#guides
    https://shadowlands.wowhead.com/npc=.../marlan#guides

not gonna bother for every covenant but right there.

Quote Originally Posted by Uggorthaholy View Post
    Thanks but no thanks, Lora, for making me question everything in existence forever.

15+ Year Old Account

- - - Updated - - -

other than you can literally buy gear with it and then upgrade said gear with it eventually.
    I'm aware but the rewards of the anima are so minute doing WQ's just for the anima only is pointless unless you're desperate for that covenant upgrade?

There is no grind at all. You get 1 quest per week and it takes 2 hours of doing 2 quests and then you're done. It's an attendance reward. And there really is zero reason to grind out anima beyond that weekly quest due to every anima sink being locked down behind Renown levels, Lost Souls and Covenant Story progression. It's the most pointless currency in the game because it makes sure that once the rewards start unlocking you're already sitting on a stockpile of it because there's no sensible way to spend it in the meanwhile.

Field Marshal
    3+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by RedditIsDown View Post
    There is no grind at all. You get 1 quest per week and it takes 2 hours of doing 2 quests and then you're done. It's an attendance reward. And there really is zero reason to grind out anima beyond that weekly quest due to every anima sink being locked down behind Renown levels, Lost Souls and Covenant Story progression. It's the most pointless currency in the game because it makes sure that once the rewards start unlocking you're already sitting on a stockpile of it because there's no sensible way to spend it in the meanwhile.
    Exactly, I think Anima will become the new war resources.

Elemental Lord
    7+ Year Old Account

- - - Updated - - -

- - - Updated - - -

yep you can upgrade. however by the time you are able to upgrade fully the gear will be basically worthless anyway. so if you're planning on gearing up via that method then that's a fail. I just tried to go upgrade the first piece I just got and I can't even do it yet. and that only upgrades it from 155 to 164 which is less than heroic gear at the moment. Rank 5, from what I have been able to ascertain, is ilvl 184 which is only 1ilvl above M0 gear - and god knows when we unlock that. point is, you can get much better gear from doing heroic and mythic dungeons and then the raid comes out which gives better gear again.

Stood in the Fire
    5+ Year Old Account
    So you made a mistake and now anima is suddenly a grind? I spent maybe one and a half hours getting 1000 anima. Didn't even have to do a world quest. Not sure where the grind is supposed to be.

3+ Year Old Account
    Anima is literally only used for cosmetics and you just need to collect 1000anima/week to get your renown, which takes an hour of your time if u want to do it one sitting. Its nothing like a grind, yes its grindy for ATT users, but its nothing bad.
    MMO-Champion Forum
    noun

1. a place where people who stopped playing World of Warcraft 10 years ago gather to tell those who still enjoy the game, how bad it is right now.

If collecting 1000 anima a week is what you consider a grind then i really don't know what to tell you...

How? And what are you looking to achieve by grinding rep?

Outside of the gloves, which you will swap out as soon you hit up heroic dungeons that gear isn't to be considered anything beyond cosmetics.
    The upgrades are time-gated to the degree it makes the NPC useless.
    Last edited by Zmagoslav; 2020-12-03 at 01:07 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Zmagoslav View Post
    If collecting 1000 anima a week is what you consider a grind then i really don't know what to tell you...
    Exactlly, lol!
    There is no grind at all in SL, as you can't go on and on with farming anything that increases the power of your character.
    Character progression is locked at 1000 Anima (which one can easily reach in some hours/via some dungeons).
    Torghast Soul Ash is locked weekly.
    Stygia (Maw) is locked daily.

.. well, I don't remember any addon where I had to grind LESS than in Shadowlands.

How are people collecting anima? I'm missing something I'm sure, but playing the game as I'd usually play the only way in only getting a small amount. Without the 750 dungeon q last week I wouldn't have hit it.

- - - Updated - - -

- - - Updated - - -

That gear, is literally worthless for anyone just half casually playing the game.

Its a transmog set.

Really hard to believe people are whining about this grind.

I have literally done 10 world quests this entire expansion and I think 8 of them were because I needed to clear the zones for the renown daily.

This isn't a real grind. I have done all my normal activities and generated it passively, now if you play as a raid logger, sure its a challenge, but that is kind of the freaking idea. They don't want you to raid log, but at the same time, they aren't forcing this grind on you viciously like the last two expansions.

This is the first time in 4 years I have been able to have a job and seriously play this game. I am not an isolated case either, most of my guild from WoD and MoP is all back playing for the first time in a while, albeit all over different realms, and its all because they aren't forcing you to endlessly grind.

Anima is not the new grind. There is nothing compelling you to care about or grind anima past your weekly thousand. Sanctum Upgrades are not only also gated behind a weekly currency in addition to anima, but they offer no meaningful player power. You can't rush your Sanctum Upgrades, and you have no reason to.

You can get better armor right now with a lot less effort than it'll take for you to get however much anima you'll need to upgrade your gloves, bracers, and pants to a reasonably powerful level next week. The complete Covenant armor set won't become available until several weeks later as the campaign proceeds, and their fully upgraded ilvl will probably be less than what comes out of Normal Nathria and Mythic 6 (196 or 7 vs. 200). You can't rush your Covenant armor gearing, and you have no reason to.

You are only asked to collect 1000 anima per week. You can get that in a couple hours' worth of world quests. Anything more than your weekly thousand is on you, and if you don't like collecting anima, then grinding out anything more than your weekly thousand is a complete and utter waste of your time. Shift your focus to other things. Don't worry about anima. It's not a grind unless you make it a grind, and you have no reason to make it a grind.

It sucks as a collector, and I wish they had a way to increase your anima gains on alts. It's gonna to suck hard progressing the covenant system on more than one character, it feels like they overlooked it.

But I am kinda glad they're making gold less important this expansion by having all the usual gold sinks replaced with a new currency.