Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst
1
2
3
4
LastLast
  1. #21
    Quote Originally Posted by Eurhetemec View Post
    Seriously? This is like your big complaint - "The beginning of this expansion doesn't have the same level of ultra-convenience and one-shotting boss monsters that I had at the very end of the last expansion!".
    Well, I did three crappy WQ in Bastion that took 40 minutes, and got a random bunch of vendor trash as reward. I liked the fact that I could target individual quests for gear in BFA, but that seems not to be the case here. Unless I'm mistaken, of course. And I've no fucking clue what's going on with Covenant stuff, other than it's a mess of borrowed power mashups, but I'll get around to it eventually I suppose.

    With that, I rate the level 60 experience at 4/10 so far, and if you disagree with me you're wrong. BFA was better. Chapeau!

  2. #22
    The Patient
    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Location
    Indonesia
    Posts
    272
    Yes, to be honest, I would say this expansion is the best ever. Very well designed, great storyline, awesome graphic. Really worth it!

  3. #23
    I'm a basic bitch. Give me a leveling experience, then give me instanced content. The world dies as soon as you reach max level, and that's ok - world content is always silly.

    I like the dungeons so far, and it feels like there's not too much world content to do so that's great. I imagine conduits or legendaries is going to annoy me at some point because I'm probably not grinding for them right, and I'm also not grinding stygia so I think that might be bad, but I'd almost rather not know right now and just blissfully run dungeons.

  4. #24
    I agree, I am really enjoying it!
    I'm the Dude. So that's what you call me. You know, that or, uh, His Dudeness, or uh, Duder, or El Duderino if you're not into the whole brevity thing.

  5. #25
    The Insane Jessicka's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2010
    Location
    Manchester
    Posts
    19,374
    Quote Originally Posted by oplawlz View Post
    Other than the Maw it's been pretty awesome so far. The complaints I have are all really minor and the moment to moment gameplay is still fun enough to keep me having a good time.
    For me the problems with the Maw stem from population instability, I either get an instance that’s overcrowded where you can’t move without someone pulling mobs over you and a spawn rate so high you can’t get out of combat; or an empty instance where you’re standing around waiting for spawns. Tie in faction imbalance where sometimes I seen surrounded by Horde and can’t tag a single mob.

    These things will settle with time I hope.

  6. #26
    Quote Originally Posted by Kokolums View Post
    If you check the Diablo 3 forums, there are a tiny handful of posts per month, few play the game, but those that do will defend it as an incredible game and will call anyone who criticizes it as a troll. So, this really means nothing.

    The standard for good would be something like WoD launch, where a TON of players came back and the playerbase quite obviously exploded. And even then, they quickly shed all of those players and more because endgame sucked.
    Not even true unless you are only looking at the end of the season. It is pretty active and a ton play the first month or two of a new season.

  7. #27
    Quote Originally Posted by oldgeezer View Post
    Well, I did three crappy WQ in Bastion that took 40 minutes, and got a random bunch of vendor trash as reward. I liked the fact that I could target individual quests for gear in BFA, but that seems not to be the case here. Unless I'm mistaken, of course. And I've no fucking clue what's going on with Covenant stuff, other than it's a mess of borrowed power mashups, but I'll get around to it eventually I suppose.

    With that, I rate the level 60 experience at 4/10 so far, and if you disagree with me you're wrong. BFA was better. Chapeau!
    I mean at the start of BfA world quests also took more time, because just like now your gear was bad. Nobody ever remembers week 1 of the previous expansion 2 years on.

    Like idk, if your enjoyment of an expansion is predicated on the speed at which you can clear WQs and the rewards you get from them...more power to you I guess? Both the dungeons and Torghast are fantastic though, and we're yet to have the raid and M+. Targeting gear through WQs was literally never a thing outside of the first couple weeks, or the first couple hours if you cleared M0s and ran heroics. If you're not doing the other content that rewards better gear, then you're pretty much railroaded into having a fairly myopic view of what's on offer.

    As far as borrowed power goes, I get the argument to an extent but it seems like set bonuses always get left out of the equation. They are/were borrowed power systems, but for some reason nobody ever brings them up as being a problem.

    Tl;dr: If you actually do all of the available content, it's a pretty damn promising start.
    Last edited by Elkfingers; 2020-12-01 at 12:01 PM.

  8. #28
    Bloodsail Admiral Malania's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Location
    Newcastle, UK
    Posts
    1,060
    I've enjoyed it all so far. It's been a fairly stable launch for me, no realm problems. Server lag obviously but that's to be expected but that's settled now. Interesting stories and even the maw is fine, even if it is empty. Hopefully it will be fleshed out with more but right now I spend minimal time in it anyway. Travelling for the daily quests is the biggest time sink in the maw.

    The only gripe I have is the story quests just end randomly. And I assume they will get unlocked as I progress on my covenant but it was just jarring to stop where it did without any story payoff. Chapters need to feel complete.

    - - - Updated - - -

    Quote Originally Posted by Elkfingers View Post
    I mean at the start of BfA world quests also took more time, because just like now your gear was bad. Nobody ever remembers week 1 of the previous expansion 2 years on.

    Like idk, if your enjoyment of an expansion is predicated on the speed at which you can clear WQs and the rewards you get from them...more power to you I guess? Both the dungeons and Torghast are fantastic though, and we're yet to have the raid and M+. Targeting gear through WQs was literally never a thing outside of the first couple weeks, or the first couple hours if you cleared M0s and ran heroics. If you're not doing the other content that rewards better gear, then you're pretty much railroaded into having a fairly myopic view of what's on offer.

    As far as borrowed power goes, I get the argument to an extent but it seems like set bonuses always get left out of the equation. They are/were borrowed power systems, but for some reason nobody ever brings them up as being a problem.

    Tl;dr: If you actually do all of the available content, it's a pretty damn promising start.
    I still remember week 1 of TBC trying to find felboars because everyone got shoved into the same zone, you couldn't share tags and nothing was instanced.

  9. #29
    The Insane Jessicka's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2010
    Location
    Manchester
    Posts
    19,374
    Quote Originally Posted by Elkfingers View Post
    I mean at the start of BfA world quests also took more time, because just like now your gear was bad. Nobody ever remembers week 1 of the previous expansion 2 years on.

    Like idk, if your enjoyment of an expansion is predicated on the speed at which you can clear WQs and the rewards you get from them...more power to you I guess? Both the dungeons and Torghast are fantastic though, and we're yet to have the raid and M+. Targeting gear through WQs was literally never a thing outside of the first couple weeks, or the first couple hours if you cleared M0s and ran heroics. If you're not doing the other content that rewards better gear, then you're pretty much railroaded into having a fairly myopic view of what's on offer.

    As far as borrowed power goes, I get the argument to an extent but it seems like set bonuses always get left out of the equation. They are/were borrowed power systems, but for some reason nobody ever brings them up as being a problem.

    Tl;dr: If you actually do all of the available content, it's a pretty damn promising start.
    On borrowed power, I mean it is very obviously borrowed, not some contrived way of it being you but better because you have a thing. Functionally it may make little difference, but having found some of them clunky and ill-fitting of the spec in the first place, it doesn’t have the same gameplay feel because of the distinction. What’s yours is yours, what’s borrowed is very clearly borrowed.

  10. #30
    Stood in the Fire Mightytasty's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2019
    Location
    Chicago, IL
    Posts
    449
    Week 1 of SL has definitely been better than BFA. At this point in BFA, and even Legion, the cracks had already started to show. Imo PvP being fixed is a huge deal and will bring a lot of players back to the game.

  11. #31
    Scarab Lord
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Location
    In the same urn as Vol'Jin
    Posts
    4,127
    Quote Originally Posted by oldgeezer View Post
    Well, I did three crappy WQ in Bastion that took 40 minutes, and got a random bunch of vendor trash as reward. I liked the fact that I could target individual quests for gear in BFA, but that seems not to be the case here. Unless I'm mistaken, of course. And I've no fucking clue what's going on with Covenant stuff, other than it's a mess of borrowed power mashups, but I'll get around to it eventually I suppose.

    With that, I rate the level 60 experience at 4/10 so far, and if you disagree with me you're wrong. BFA was better. Chapeau!
    I guess if you're not interested in the central feature of the expansion and just comparing it on "how much loot can I get from World Quests in how short a time", which is an... unusual... measure, then yeah that's a thing. It's a bit weird but hey, everyone has their own way of playing.

    - - - Updated - - -

    Quote Originally Posted by Elkfingers View Post
    I mean at the start of BfA world quests also took more time, because just like now your gear was bad. Nobody ever remembers week 1 of the previous expansion 2 years on.

    Like idk, if your enjoyment of an expansion is predicated on the speed at which you can clear WQs and the rewards you get from them...more power to you I guess? Both the dungeons and Torghast are fantastic though, and we're yet to have the raid and M+. Targeting gear through WQs was literally never a thing outside of the first couple weeks, or the first couple hours if you cleared M0s and ran heroics. If you're not doing the other content that rewards better gear, then you're pretty much railroaded into having a fairly myopic view of what's on offer.

    As far as borrowed power goes, I get the argument to an extent but it seems like set bonuses always get left out of the equation. They are/were borrowed power systems, but for some reason nobody ever brings them up as being a problem.

    Tl;dr: If you actually do all of the available content, it's a pretty damn promising start.
    Agree with all of this, esp. set bonuses. I think the reason they don't get included is that people felt like they owned them because they were physical pieces of equipment, but it's bollocks, because whenever they were actually valuable enough to carry to the next expansion or sometimes even the next tier, Blizzard nerfed them, and then later just straight disabled them in higher expansions.

    I think for more casual players WQ gear had a bit more value than you're giving it credit, but yeah, it didn't last very long. I am slightly surprised that WQs don't seem to award gear here, because I could swear that when I first hit 60, they did (I'm probably wrong). The callings do at least provide gear sometimes (though more often just loot worth cash money and the odd Conduit).
    "A youtuber said so."

    "... some wow experts being interviewed..."

    "According to researchers from Wowhead..."

  12. #32
    Quote Originally Posted by keldarepewpew View Post
    Some people just want to make the world burn. If people are enjoying the game you have to find some contrived argument as to why they might be wrong. Surely you have better things to do.
    I'm just pointing out, fanboys will defend their game until the bitter end. It doesn't matter how dead the game is. Its annoying.

  13. #33
    Quote Originally Posted by Jessicka View Post
    I think this is the first expansion I’ve not felt rushed, not felt a need to put a ton of extra hours or late nights into and not felt I was going to fall behind if I didn’t.

    And yet, I get home from work and I want to log in. I’ve levelled my Warlock and Mage, I feel like I’m going somewhere with both, I’m enjoying the story and the world, and the gameplay actually feels good. Progress feels decently placed, and I don’t feel too tied to systems I’d hated in previous expansions like the mobile game aspect, so while I don’t like them they don’t feel so overbearing.

    It’s good. So there. How about that, a positive post from me. I wasn’t sure at first but week one has me convinced.
    That's actually really nice to hear, and helps my decision making.
    I hope it provides you with many more hours of fun.
    This is a signature of an ailing giant, boundless in pride, wit and strength.
    Yet also as humble as health and humor permit.

    Respect all, submit to none.

  14. #34
    I am Murloc! Lord Pebbleton's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2012
    Location
    Pebbleton Family Castle.
    Posts
    5,770
    Leveling was a CHORE for me. Way too many padding quests, not enough substance, forgettable enemies (like the supposed baddie in Ardenweald, he almost dies offscreen).

    Gating endgame behind the whole questing experience was a bad idea because at the end you hit level 60 wayyyy before being done with everything. Of course you could just ignore side quests to speed it up (as I did), but those side quests are super long chains that afaik don't appear on the map; but if you decide to keep them, you run out of quest log space very quickly. Just kind of a headache.

    BUT I feel the same as you regarding endgame. I had fun in Torghast, dungeons are nice, the pace is good. I still have to break into heroic dungeons, did 5 normals without a single upgrade dropping.
    My only complaints would be: make the Maw less of a chore, and increase drop chance in dungeons.

  15. #35
    Quote Originally Posted by SirBeef View Post
    Not even true unless you are only looking at the end of the season. It is pretty active and a ton play the first month or two of a new season.
    If it was active, they would never have cancelled the second xpac. That's just throwing away a ginormous amount of money. They would keep pumping out xpacs if there was interest in D3. Its been moved to the legacy team. Almost all of the D3 devoted websites died except one 1 new one.

  16. #36
    The Insane Jessicka's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2010
    Location
    Manchester
    Posts
    19,374
    Quote Originally Posted by Kokolums View Post
    I'm just pointing out, fanboys will defend their game until the bitter end. It doesn't matter how dead the game is. Its annoying.
    Interesting since historically I’ve been accused of being over critical and only making negative posts. I mean my take on Kyrians in my other thread is hardly complementary. Defending Blizzard absolutely is not my MO, but in this case I feel I should give credit where it’s due, because as a whole, the expansion so far feels really good.

  17. #37
    I agree, but I'm sick of Torghast already and I've only done each layer once.

  18. #38
    Quote Originally Posted by Kokolums View Post
    If it was active, they would never have cancelled the second xpac. That's just throwing away a ginormous amount of money. They would keep pumping out xpacs if there was interest in D3. Its been moved to the legacy team. Almost all of the D3 devoted websites died except one 1 new one.
    Fourm activity has nothing to do with their decision to cancel the second expansion. That decision was mad when they decided to remove the RMAH to avoid the possibility of paying and collecting taxes on transactions due to a new law. They didn't even wait to see the reception of RoS, because they had no way to monetize the game so they moved on.

    Regardless, many people play, and since you want to use unreliable metrics, twitch views for D3 when seasons start are high, and D3 views are constantly higher than D2, which everyone loves to claim is more populated.

    - - - Updated - - -

    Quote Originally Posted by Kokolums View Post
    I'm just pointing out, fanboys will defend their game until the bitter end. It doesn't matter how dead the game is. Its annoying.
    And haters will hate to the bitter end despite evidence contrary to their beliefs. It's annoying.

  19. #39
    Quote Originally Posted by Eurhetemec View Post
    I guess if you're not interested in the central feature of the expansion and just comparing it on "how much loot can I get from World Quests in how short a time", which is an... unusual... measure, then yeah that's a thing. It's a bit weird but hey, everyone has their own way of playing.
    Well, yes and no. I mostly play the game solo, have done so for years. So, I'll get the alts levelled up, possibly work on professions and old content a bit, see how the wind is blowing, and decide if I want to sit things out until 9.1 arrives. And that's fine. To everyone else out there having a blast - good for you!

  20. #40
    Scarab Lord
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Location
    In the same urn as Vol'Jin
    Posts
    4,127
    Quote Originally Posted by oldgeezer View Post
    Well, yes and no. I mostly play the game solo, have done so for years. So, I'll get the alts levelled up, possibly work on professions and old content a bit, see how the wind is blowing, and decide if I want to sit things out until 9.1 arrives. And that's fine. To everyone else out there having a blast - good for you!
    I think that's probably the right way to go. With the catch-up mechanisms they seem to have coming for Covenants, I suspect you'll have more fun leveling alts and so on for a few weeks at least, and then when you do Covenants, they'll potentially be more rewarding.
    "A youtuber said so."

    "... some wow experts being interviewed..."

    "According to researchers from Wowhead..."

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •