Thread: Superman & Lois

Page 6 of 11 FirstFirst ...
... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by PACOX View Post
    Glad you liked it but your write-up says "its going to end up like every other DC show on CW".
    Does it? I didn't mean for it to come across that way. It's a show with a great pilot that shows much promise. Now most first episodes of anything show promise, otherwise a network wouldn't have picked it up, but making a Superman show interesting in 2020 is a lot more challenging than launching Black Lightning, or Supergirl. Why? Name recognition may make you think otherwise. "Oh yeah, Superman, people will watch because it's Superman! Just make it about him saving Lois, and have Lex Luthor pull off some kind of real estate scheme we can stretch out for like 12 episodes or whatever." That's where this show is showing promise. It's about Superman and Lois raising teenaged sons. We've never seen that in any show or movie before about Superman. The premise alone was a good hook, and executed well with its first episode, versus a brand new character like Black Lightning who most general audiences have no idea about, so your run of the mill origin story is sufficient as a launching pad for a successful show. Superman & Lois tells all the Superman mythos most comic book readers know about in like the first 5 minutes, and dives right into the meat of the drama; here and now, the present and the future.

After 40 years of re-telling the same Superman origin and movie, you'd think the movies would have gotten that by now. This show did in 90 minutes what the movies haven't done in 40 years. Bring Superman up to speed and telling a new story, and a new chapter for general audiences while paying homage and capturing the spirit of who Superman really is.

I'm excited for it. Like The Flash, I see it getting better with its first couple seasons if they maintain the vision and quality. Yeah, Flash declined in quality, but its first few seasons were great. Not saying Superman & Lois will even last 7 seasons, but I'm excited for a good quality story that should run at least a couple of seasons considering there are so many underrated stories they can draw from in the comics.

I do like that it's a different take on the character. Never seen a Superman show that focuses on his struggles with being a good father. Will have to see how it goes.

I don;t like this movie. You writes well

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Kyphael View Post
    Does it? I didn't mean for it to come across that way. It's a show with a great pilot that shows much promise. Now most first episodes of anything show promise, otherwise a network wouldn't have picked it up, but making a Superman show interesting in 2020 is a lot more challenging than launching Black Lightning, or Supergirl. Why? Name recognition may make you think otherwise. "Oh yeah, Superman, people will watch because it's Superman! Just make it about him saving Lois, and have Lex Luthor pull off some kind of real estate scheme we can stretch out for like 12 episodes or whatever." That's where this show is showing promise. It's about Superman and Lois raising teenaged sons. We've never seen that in any show or movie before about Superman. The premise alone was a good hook, and executed well with its first episode, versus a brand new character like Black Lightning who most general audiences have no idea about, so your run of the mill origin story is sufficient as a launching pad for a successful show. Superman & Lois tells all the Superman mythos most comic book readers know about in like the first 5 minutes, and dives right into the meat of the drama; here and now, the present and the future.

After 40 years of re-telling the same Superman origin and movie, you'd think the movies would have gotten that by now. This show did in 90 minutes what the movies haven't done in 40 years. Bring Superman up to speed and telling a new story, and a new chapter for general audiences while paying homage and capturing the spirit of who Superman really is.

I'm excited for it. Like The Flash, I see it getting better with its first couple seasons if they maintain the vision and quality. Yeah, Flash declined in quality, but its first few seasons were great. Not saying Superman & Lois will even last 7 seasons, but I'm excited for a good quality story that should run at least a couple of seasons considering there are so many underrated stories they can draw from in the comics.
    I might give it a look if I remember. The CW shows have been burning me since Smallville became the Arrowverse though.

Resident Cosplay Progressive

I haven't seen a better superhero than the Zack Snyder/Henry Cavill Superman combo, excluding other shortcomings of the narrative outside the character itself. But admittedly I don't like the original Superman, which similar to most superheroes I find incredibly cheesy.

Besides, Tyler Hoechlin looks much better with a beard.

Quote Originally Posted by MussyFaighter View Post
    This is the best story ever. I wantched the first version of this TV show, and now I am watching this one
    Just seen the first episode of the new series.. shockingly much better than I expected.

I also enjoyed it. maybe not quite as much as I want for these things, but that's been the case for the last 5-10 years of most shows I've watched.

It was interesting, and well, actually decent... I mean for what it is.

Quote Originally Posted by Trumpcat View Post
    I haven't seen a better superhero than the Zack Snyder/Henry Cavill Superman combo, excluding other shortcomings of the narrative outside the character itself. But admittedly I don't like the original Superman, which similar to most superheroes I find incredibly cheesy.

Besides, Tyler Hoechlin looks much better with a beard.
    Agreed on both counts.

Best superman is the Cavill/Snyder version, and Hoechlin suits a beard much much better.

It would have been a far more powerful disguise if Clark was bearded and Superman not, and Superman had the ability to fast grow hair

- - - Updated - - -

But I enjoyed the setting of the new show, how they filmed it, it could be a standalone , it's that good

I like the premise because it shows superman moving forward. With comic characters its always reboots, retellings of origins, etc. this is a superman whose already experienced and is facing new challenges.

This kyle guy seems like a piece of shit though, hope they don't end up having drama with a Clark, Lois, and Lana triangle.
    Last edited by Jotaux; 2021-02-24 at 10:48 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Jotaux View Post
    I like the premise because it shows superman moving forward. With comic characters its always reboots, retellings of origins, etc. this is a superman whose already experienced and is facing new challenges.

This kyle guy seems like a piece of shit though, hope they don't end up having drama with a Clark, Lois, and Lana triangle.
    yeh.. it's started quite well, no exaggerated emo teen angst - there is a bit of that, but it isn't dominant, Superman is the star..
    It's not hey, the male, dad is a fuck up and the mum's the hero thing either - both Clarke and Lois seem amazing -t he controversy comes form the situation and challenges of being a hero and the demands that takes.
    IT avoid a few trap holes that CW shows typically go down of which we're all bored to death with, and it was a nice surprise to see the bro v bro drama not actually kick off because one son had manifested powers while the other hadn't - and i like how Jon put it - @it shows my skills are legit" - but then he had no reason to doubt they were anyway until the discovery

What is pleasantly surprising is the even tone all round, they don't go for the usual cheap drama squabbles cheesy soap opera shows and typically CW shows haev done for the last 15 odd years.

Superman is actually a nice guy, and cool - not a jerk , it's not post modernist, nihilism garble which I for one am so sick of, despite my edgy avatar pic.

Quote Originally Posted by Beloren View Post
    Best superman is the Cavill/Snyder version
    No. Cavill could've been a great superman but he was stuck behind three subpar scripts written by a Randian meathead.

Christopher Reeves, Brandon Routh (2nd Time), Melissa Benoit and Stefan Kapičić are all better at Superman. I never watch Smallville but Tom Welling's 5 minutes in the Arrowverse was mostly better than Cavill. I liked Hoechlin in his earlier appearances and it seems he's already doing a good job in a lead role.

Is this another crappy superman soap/teen drama bullshit like Smallville?
    Last edited by Soimu; 2021-02-25 at 10:11 AM.

I liked it tbh. Came a long a bit more serious. Lead is not an obnoxious as hat who does not give a fuck about consequences the main couple has not one incredibly self rightous twat. The kids are allright. Dramatic as always... but well... it is a teenie show after all.

The only thing i did not like is... well the villian... god i am not interested whatsover in him. I wanted to skip every scene he was in.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Queen of Hamsters View Post
    I don't know, but since Cavill, I just can't see anyone else in that role and take him seriously...
    Doesn't help that this looks campy as all hell.
    If it is like Arrow, it will be campy, and so full of pointless drama that you'd expect it on day time TV.
    RIP Genn Greymane, Permabanned on 8.22.18

Your name will carry on through generations, and will never be forgotten.

Quote Originally Posted by VinceVega View Post
    I liked it tbh. Came a long a bit more serious. Lead is not an obnoxious as hat who does not give a fuck about consequences the main couple has not one incredibly self rightous twat. The kids are allright. Dramatic as always... but well... it is a teenie show after all.

The only thing i did not like is... well the villian... god i am not interested whatsover in him. I wanted to skip every scene he was in.
    It's almost as if the main villain is a side thing.. or at least not the primary focus.. which makes a change that could work quite well if handled well.. I mean these shows are always about some megolomaniac, especially Superman with Lex Luthor - who is the one in control of the suit, and upgrade of the one that appears in
    the previous Supergirl series he appears in
    if I weren't so entertained, i may have moaned that this is the tact that Supergirl should have taken, while Superman having the more villian /superhero action orientation. But we've seen so much of that with superman's it's nice to have a little bit more depth and drama if done well and balanced properly with action.. but few shows ever seem to manage to achieve this sort of balance.

Quote Originally Posted by Beloren View Post
    Best superman is the Cavill/Snyder version, and Hoechlin suits a beard much much better.
    u surely mean the worst! Everyone else was a better supes then him....

Yes the show is surprisingly good for cw standards and I hope it stays that way and continues to have all those easter eggs the pilot had!

Nope. Cavil is best...he just needs a better script.

Not that I want to make a big deal about this, but I loved that :

1. it was hetero normative - how rare is that these days?
    2. it was full of guys - I remember the days when seeing a second black actor was almost unheard of, and then it became seeing more htan 1 central male character became rare, and then having a token white (my issue is not that a show only has 1 white male, or only 1 black male - it's when all the shows copy that formula to score internet points, and they start casting to reflect what they presume we want.

- it was nice that the twins were two boys - not a boy and a girl, or two girls - and that's not being sexist or anything (I am literally saying I like that it had lots of male characters and that's rare.

3. The characters weren't loud - no super bossy mum/female character, no super jackass as the main male character - it was refreshing
    4. The mix between drama and action was decent
    5. A new screen angle for superman.. superman family life.

It didn't feel formulaic.. the current woke formular is ridiculous, because it's not reflective of real life, but every show does it, and this didn't.. this was nice.

The episode really exceeded my expectations which were admittedly low, as others I have reservations on the casting choice for Superman, I like the actor, loved him in Teen Wolf, but he doesn't really nail the roll, he is more Clark Kent than superman ironically x)

I have to say, when it started with the hmm montage? or whatever of the events leading upto where they are I was rather thrilled it was with them having two teenage kids, I have never read any comics nor have any desire too but watched a lot of the cartoon series, and live action shows and movies over the years so them not re-treading the same origin story for the umpteenth time really made me happy.

And the various nods to the films and to the Smallville series got me smilling, I am a rather cynical guy so its rare for me to enjoy a new series but this has me waiting for more, which after not liking the actors chosen while watching them in the arrowverse crossovers, now feels a lot better as its later on in their respective lives, like my first thought was 'why is lois so 'old' in supergirl' (not that she is like old but you know, mature to say) to which I look back in shame, its a good casting now, in my opinion.

Quote Originally Posted by Shadowferal View Post
    Nope. Cavil is best...he just needs a better script.
    Cavil was the single worst superman in history, you can not blame the script for him being a below subpar actor.

Quote Originally Posted by Soimu View Post
    Is this another crappy superman soap/teen drama bullshit like Smallville?
    Quote Originally Posted by Winter Blossom View Post
    I mean, it’s CW soooo.... yeah.
    No its not, watch it.

Quote Originally Posted by Utrrabbit View Post
    Cavil was the single worst superman in history, you can not blame the script for him being a below subpar actor.
    Nope, he was and is good, sorry if you do not like him.