Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst
    This is the biggest problem with Disney Star Wars. Their refusal to make something truly new because you gotta milk the old characters. I like Luke as much as most people but he's had his films and let's move on. By making everything so Skywalker-centric you are narrowing down a potentially huge universe to one family.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Vegas82 View Post
    Wow. So you don’t love the universe. You love the OT. See, the universe is mostly post originals. So on balance, you hate the universe but love 3 movies set in it.
    No, you've got it all wrong.
    Quote Originally Posted by bizzy View Post
    yeh but lava is just very hot water

Quote Originally Posted by Xorzor View Post
    Let Star Wars rest ffs!!
    Nah i want more. You don't have to watch it.

10+ Year Old Account
    lmao what just let the franchise dieeeee

Quote Originally Posted by Ihavewaffles View Post
    Makes me think of a young chuck norris, not luke...

Wow, I would believe that was Luke, even if it wasn't Mark Hamil. I'm all for it.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Kyphael View Post
    "For over a thousand generations, the Jedi Knights were the guardians of peace and justice in the Old Republic. Before the dark times, before the Empire."

Yet Lucasfilm keeps focusing on the same Goddamn generation!!! >:O

Mark Hamill is Luke Skywalker.

Harrison Ford is Han Solo, and Solo showed that can't be changed. Let those movies stand the test of time and give us some Old Republic movies before I bust a nut.
    Nothing wrong with the Skywalkers, but they haven't shown Luke off well after his return to the screen. So actually I'd like to see more of him, but actually live up to what we expected for a change.

I'm fine with more Skywalkers and Jedi's etc, as long as they do a good job. What I'm not fine with is what they did in the Last Jedi for example.

10+ Year Old Account
    Well, hopefully he'll be a better actor than Hamil was back then.
    Hi

I would rather see them move away from the Skywalkers. There have to be other strong bloodlines that have been laying dormant out there or just haven't been discovered by the Jedi or Sith yet.

Still miffed Rey took the name Skywalker instead of wearing Palpatine proudly and making it a name for good.
    I'm a thread killer.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Zantera View Post
    This is the biggest problem with Disney Star Wars. Their refusal to make something truly new because you gotta milk the old characters. I like Luke as much as most people but he's had his films and let's move on. By making everything so Skywalker-centric you are narrowing down a potentially huge universe to one family.
    High Republic isnt new? Apart from the ST, which was more the Skywalkers seen through Rey, their stuff has been about other characters. The only Skywalker truly exploited is Vader if you count their comics.

Resident Cosplay Progressive

Quote Originally Posted by Porimlys View Post
    lmao what just let the franchise dieeeee
    Pfft...it's already dead. This is the franchise meeting "Weekend at Bernie's."

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by blankfaced View Post
    Still miffed Rey took the name Skywalker instead of wearing Palpatine proudly and making it a name for good.
    Now there's a thought.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Vegas82 View Post
    Well, you certainly convinced me! Please, do elaborate.
    Nope, rather keep you hanging.
    Quote Originally Posted by bizzy View Post
    yeh but lava is just very hot water

Quote Originally Posted by Darknessvamp View Post
    I get that Disney has problems being original but can't they consider a story set a significant number of years, like 200, after the originals so that they stop messing with them? Or go the KOTOR route and even further back.
    I just don't understand why Disney won't go like a thousand years back and explore that.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by GreenJesus View Post
    I just don't understand why Disney won't go like a thousand years back and explore that.
    In a word, risk.

You can see Rogue One and Solo as efforts to widen the franchise. Rogue One did "okay", but before RoS smashed itself into a cliff face, it significantly undersold compared to the main entries in the sequel trilogy. Solo didn't smash into a cliff, it crashed on takeoff.

And both Rogue One and particularly Solo are directly tied in to the Skywalker Saga, either temporally (Rogue One bridges the prequels and the opening of A New Hope) or in character exploration (Solo, obv). So there was a lot of carry-over support.

A brand-new trilogy, so separate in time that we won't ever see familiar faces and only a few reference points like Jedi/Sith and the Force and lightsabers? That's a bigger ask for the audience. It might pay off in a massive way, paving a new path forward without the baggage of the 9/11 films in the Skywalker era, or it might be a flop on par with or worse than Solo and a massive investment that fails to live up to expectations.

And while people might point to The Mandalorian or even Clone Wars and Rebels, those are serialized TV shows and still tied into the Skywalker era. And TV's a different market.

I want to believe a hard plot reset by shifting to a new timeline and new characters would pay off with audiences, assuming they hire actual writers and showrunners aimed at creating and maintaining consistency. But I wouldn't think that's a slam-dunk given. I would've, ten years ago. I think the way this decade played out has soured a lot of fans, and I'm not sure that's a taste that they'll get over all that quickly.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Zantera View Post
    Anything with a young Luke would be a new story though. Anything before ANH would be nothing but a cameo. Anything after RotJ is new territory.

Should they create new characters just for the sake of creating new characters? Thats was one of the flaws of the EU (and the ST).

Disney should leave the Skywalkers but there's absolutely room for the story of Luke's Jedi Order.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by GreenJesus View Post
    I think they are/plan to. They were talking about it when they signed directors and name-dropped a bunch of KOTOR/Old Republic stuff. Then the pandemic hit and production companies haven't really been making long-term plans since the entire production process of movies has been impacted. One of the reasons Mandolorian has been able to shoot is because its a relatively local operation and an small cast shot with very impressive green screen tech.

Resident Cosplay Progressive

10+ Year Old Account
    They already had a young Luke movie, it was called Star Wars.
    /s

So what would the show be about? Wild nights at the moisture farm?
    Me thinks Chromie has a whole lot of splaining to do!

5+ Year Old Account
    disney 2020 investor day is today, hopefully they'll reveal all their future projects..

https://thewaltdisneycompany.com/dis...stor-day-2020/
    Last edited by Ihavewaffles; 2020-12-10 at 04:38 PM.

Supposedly the rumor is they plan on announcing a major expansion to the Star Wars universe. Maybe we will get KOTOR era stuff after all?

Elemental Lord
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Xorzor View Post
    Let Star Wars rest ffs!!
    This, star was is done..

Quote Originally Posted by eschatological View Post
    Supposedly the rumor is they plan on announcing a major expansion to the Star Wars universe. Maybe we will get KOTOR era stuff after all?
    Apparently a Luke Skywalker mini-series might be on the table, and Stan's the man they're gonna use if they do it, cos CGIing Hamil's face will be too expensive.