Page 1 of 5
... LastLast

Dream specs - anyone have one?

Was pushing all my alts through to Oribos and got to thinking about what I wish there was a spec for. This isn't an "add a new class" thread so much as a... if you could cherry pick what you'd want to play - the playstyle, the aesthetic - what would it be?

For me, I think I'd like a melee spec with a DH or Monk like tool kit and playstyle - high mobility, very fast-paced - light armor (leather/mail), but combines that with the Fury war or Frost DK ability to DW or 2H (uses the weapon unlike monk), and the aesthetic/theme of something like an shaman or balance druid - wind, lightning, etc.

This started because I was doing the monk's Maw run in windwalker and thought how could it would be if "storm, earth, and fire" were more literal.

Anyone else ever imagined an "ideal" spec that doesn't exist or even have a class that matches it?

Proper lightning/storm mage.
    You are welcome, Metzen. I hope you won't fuck up my underground expansion idea.

Quote Originally Posted by Stormdash View Post
    Was pushing all my alts through to Oribos and got to thinking about what I wish there was a spec for. This isn't an "add a new class" thread so much as a... if you could cherry pick what you'd want to play - the playstyle, the aesthetic - what would it be?

For me, I think I'd like a melee spec with a DH or Monk like tool kit and playstyle - high mobility, very fast-paced - light armor (leather/mail), but combines that with the Fury war or Frost DK ability to DW or 2H (uses the weapon unlike monk), and the aesthetic/theme of something like an shaman or balance druid - wind, lightning, etc.

This started because I was doing the monk's Maw run in windwalker and thought how could it would be if "storm, earth, and fire" were more literal.

Anyone else ever imagined an "ideal" spec that doesn't exist or even have a class that matches it?
    I liked the sword and shield dps of glad warrior.

Id like that back in some way

5+ Year Old Account
    Pre Legion Demo

Two-handed Rogue. Whip out the Katana, cut someone in half. Move with the wind. Strike with lightning.

Quote Originally Posted by Monster Hunter View Post
    I liked the sword and shield dps of glad warrior.

Id like that back in some way
    A spec that uses a shield and a spear would also be kinda nice, such an iconic weapon style throughout human history completely ignored by WoW ouside of choice NPCs.
    You are welcome, Metzen. I hope you won't fuck up my underground expansion idea.

An old-fashioned mage/thief. A rogue with blink, mirror images, alter time and frost nova.

My dream spec is already in and that's enhancement shammy, but what I always thought that was missing was axe thrower/troll berserker like spec. Basically a spec for hunter or warrior that focuses on thrown weapons.

It does exist, BfA/SL demo lock. Well if I wanted to be really picky I'd wish for doom talent to be removed and replaced by something better, and maybe pet being more tanky. And being able to cast while moving but that is another story.

But otherwise it is the perfect spec. Nothing that was ever before in game, in other games, in single player games, in card games, in movies, in alternative realities etc. is even remotely comparable to current demo lock. Like a giant flawless diamond floating on the sea of shit.

3+ Year Old Account
    A Bwonsamdi-themed Priest
    I don't play WoW anymore smh.

10+ Year Old Account
    I've been fighting for this for a while: Healer Warlock

In most lore examples, Warlocks are almost never front-line fighters. They have always manipulated others from the background, giving ambitious individuals power in return for furthering their own goals, sometimes even unwittingly. Since WoW doesn't have support classes, a healer is the ideal role. Especially given all that Warlocks have done in past, and the nature of fel magic.

Healer warlocks would summon a Pit Lord as a pet, however it would be bound and dazed and only able to follow the warlock, not attack. (This solves the issue of big pets cluttering the screen.)The Warlock's spells would drain the Pit Lord's health to heal and buff allies with the demon blood, and other spells would fortify and restore the pit lord. The class would be about balancing the health of the pit lord and the health of the team. For survival abilities and solo damage, the warlock would buff themselves fight melee, like movie Gul'Dan. In fact, healer warlocks would use stamina as a primary resource, not intellect. This fits in with the theme of warlocks needing fortitude and willpower to wield fel magics.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Bwonsamdi the Dead View Post
    A Bwonsamdi-themed Priest
    Totally agree. Death Priests are a thing with the draenei, too. At least in AU Draenor.

Quote Originally Posted by Razion View Post
    Two-handed Rogue. Whip out the Katana, cut someone in half. Move with the wind. Strike with lightning.
    Yasuo, is that you?

I like some of the ideas here. I'll add Bloodmage.
    "We must make our choice. We may have democracy, or we may have wealth concentrated in the hands of a few, but we can't have both."
    -Louis Brandeis

Herald of the Titans Dristereau's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    I always liked the concept of a Battle Mage. Essentially a Mage giving up their ability to use most of their abilities at range to wear Plate armour. They would still be using the same weapons, mainly Staves but Daggers/Swords/OH optionals as well. The idea of it is a builder/spender type spec, primary considered Tank but I could probably develop a Melee DPS from it. Using abilities from each school would build their respesctive power meters.

Anyways the idea of the Tank is that using Frost, Fire and Arcane abilities would empower their respective shields, Ice Barrier, Molten Armour and Temporal Shield. Ice Barrier works as a direct block, reducing the damage of all attacks for a period of time. Molten Armour reduces physical damage taken and spews lava back out as an AoE effect. Temporal Shield snaps 6 seconds of damage taken and heals double back over time.

In terms of combat, your core mage abilities would be Fire Blast, Fireball, Cone of Cold, Ice Lance, Frostbolt, Arcane Blast and Arcane Explosion as well as Battle Mage only abilities that would attack with your weapons. They include school strikes (Molten Lash, Glacial Assault and Arcane Ravage) that would complement the core Mage abilities in the base rotation, cooldowns that would allow a since ability to be cast from range.

Mastery - Arcane Empowerment - Increases the strength of your shields and holding more power increases the range of your abilities by X yards.

As for a DPS option, instead of empowering your shields you would instead be empowering your abilities, with dealing significantly more damage with more power in that school until reaching a crescendo for a period of time and then cooling off.
    Dristereau - Axxolentus - Infernus - Sequentia - Nulo - Desterrar

Silvermoon
    - Shadowsong/Aszune - Tarren-Mill/Dentarg (SL Mage Tower: 29/36
    )

3+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Selastan View Post

Totally agree. Death Priests are a thing with the draenei, too. At least in AU Draenor.
    I'm ok with playing a DK for now, but I'd really like a non Lich King/Ebon /blade death class. I want to make a living character who uses necromancy lol

I think there are Draenei who do shady things in MU Draenor/Outland too, but I'm not 100% sure
    I don't play WoW anymore smh.

10+ Year Old Account
    Boring answer? I just want Cata and Mists Fury Warrior back.

Something new? A class or individual specs for existing classes like a priest built around paradox, and balancing two opposing forces, like Life and Death, Chaos and Order, Light and Void. Possibility for there being more, like Frost and Fire. But maybe just the big 3 opposing forces pairs.The basic idea is, each set of opposing forces is one spec, themed around a specific balance.

Say, for Fel and Arcane, the balance is between Chaos and Order, and using Fel abilities builds up Chaos, and if you build too much of either Chaos or Order then your character loses control to that cosmic force temporarily, netting you a lot of temporary penalties. The closer to 50/50 the balance of power between the two cosmic forces you are, the more benefit you get.
    The idea would be to do max DPS, healing or tanking in a specific window, while still balancing the use of your Chaos/Fel and Order/Arcane abilities to keep yourself as close to 50/50 as possible.

I could see Light vs Void fitting Priests perfectly, Chaos vs Order and Fel vs Arcane could be Warlock or Mage, and Life vs Death could be Druid or Death Knight.

I know it sounds a lot like a Balance Druid in gameplay as far as two forces to balance, but it's just an idea.
    Last edited by Freedom; 2020-12-07 at 05:52 AM.
    Quote Originally Posted by Scrod View Post
    Ok, I give up. This is pointless.
    Many Multitudes Online Constantly Harping About Minor Problems
    FIRE GIVES ME BIGGER BLOOD SHIELDS

Quote Originally Posted by LarryFromHumanResources View Post
    Melee arcane, either illusionist/arcane trickster or battlemage
    Same. Nightblade is my favorite kind of build in every game, no question. A Rogue that can use some type of magic. It's usually Illusion, enhancement, or light magic damage from mid-range.

10+ Year Old Account
    I ran Skyrim once as a battle mage. It was enjoyable. I'd like to see something like it in WoW.
    "...money's most powerful ability is to allow bad people to continue doing bad things at the expense of those who don't have it."