Page 7 of 7 FirstFirst ...
    Quote Originally Posted by Kithelle View Post
    And the funny thing is there are people over at Disney who want to deliver a good experience, unfortunately there are a lot of people with agendas and people who will just toss any stupid little thing that pops into their head on paper...I mean come on a character that is a rock named geode who talks about sex? Truly is a reason they call it the "high" republic because they gotta be high writing this trash.
    Disney have done well with the MCU (some duds but overall a good job) but the problem with how they have handled Star Wars is they pretty much played it too safe. Star Wars fans like to talk about how huge the universe is and how many possibilities there are to make something cool and unique, yet we keep coming back to the same handful of characters with the same elements (lightsabers, tiefighters, empire vs rebels etc) with almost no new angles or ideas.

I'm one of those who actually liked TFA, it wasn't brand new but it was the foundation for something that could have been good but unfortunately they dropped the ball with pretty much everything.

Star Wars always seemed Sci-Fi/Fantasy to me (Jedis and the Force are definitely fantasy), and Star Trek always seemed high-end Sci-fi/Drama. Just IMO, of course.

Both, because one is more science fiction and the other one is a space fantasy. They both have equal measures of good and bad content. It’s not one or the other.

10+ Year Old Account
    For Trek the original show and Next Generation are great and Deep Space 9 is okay. Everything else is garbage.

For Star Wars you cant go wrong with the original Trilogy. The prequels are okay and Clone Wars is good. The Mandalorian is great. Everything else is shit so avoid it like the plague.

Quote Originally Posted by Beloren View Post
    Someone who’s never watched em is thinking of giving them a try. They don’t have time for both because there is so much stuff especially when you count all the series.

You are told to pick one or recommend one. Which would you? Or how would you advise them of the two so they instead can make an informed choice?

Both have a lot of buzz and both are active again, described as the two biggest names in sci fi tv/movies. This has garnered the interest.
    Both^^
    I could not recommend one above the other.

Old Star wars is better watchable than the older Star trek shows.

Original Star Trek is basically only watchable for old fans. It is incredibly cringy.
    The next ones have REALLY bad CGI now sadly and the acting is also quite... bad tbh. But they all (expecpt the original, fight me^^) have very good character development.
    Discovery is also not bad as long as you don't follow the hate bandwagon of the core fanbase. They cry alot which gets a bit annoying and they are really progressive with characters. So as long as you don't have a problem with that go for it. (that was the original intention btw. But the time the other shows have been produced did not allow that)
    Star Trek overall is more about military and the universe is way more chaotic. Very heavy on exploration. Think of a 4X game in tv format. But there are tons of contradictions in the tv show which they always solve buy just adding some sort of technology or uber powerful race who can do basically everything. So don't try to keep the universe coherent. It will never be. Too many cooks.

Star Wars is a decade spaning film franchise with a really good animated tv show attached. Original trilogy is amazing, but much like the original star trek, does have its problems storywise when you put down the roseglases.
    The prequel trilogy starts semi good, gets weird and whiney, but ends on a high note.
    Sequel trilogy... well they wanted to cache in on nostalgia which mean it is basically the first trilogy without the charisma of the original actors and the characters who have potential gets wasted. And again: Don't follow the hate bandwagon of the so called "fans". The movies are not as bad as they make them out to be. Especially Admiral Holdo... who was sooooo justified in what she did. In contrast to here male advisary.
    Then you have the on-offs. Some really good, some don't exist (christmas special and ewoks), some just meh.

Star Wars is way more charater centric than star trek. Overall story is the basic good vs. evil. You never find out why they are evil. Temptation and feeelins. All of it is basically centered around one family and you will see the (some) same characters over all the media.
    It is more Science Fantasy as the force is basically magic. But set in a technological waaaaaaay advanced age.

tldr: Both franchises have their ups and downs. Both franchises are only made too squeeze as much money out of merchendise as possible. But either one is good stupid entertainment for a lazy weekend. Don't try to compare them. If you do: throw stargate in the mix, which imho is superior to both despite its HEAVY military influence. Jaffa, kree!

Both are really struggling to create interesting characters. So is WoW for that matter.

I almost feel like the writers need a phone app to create a newly written characters' personality.

Sliders that go from 1 (low) to 100 (high) on:

1. self-confidence
    2. sarcastic
    3. rule-breaker
    4. love
    5. heart
    6. trust
    7. family
    8. career
    9. street smarts
    10. book smarts
    11. handy with tools
    12. neurotic
    13. chatty
    14. grumpy

etc, etc.
    TO FIX WOW:1. smaller server sizes & server-only LFG awarding satchels, so elite players help others. 2. "helper builds" with loom powers - talent trees so elite players cast buffs on low level players XP gain, HP/mana, regen, damage, etc. 3. "helper ilvl" scoring how much you help others. 4. observer games like in SC to watch/chat (like twitch but with MORE DETAILS & inside the wow UI) 5. guild leagues to compete with rival guilds for progression (with observer mode).6. jackpot world mobs.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Zantera View Post
    Disney have done well with the MCU (some duds but overall a good job) but the problem with how they have handled Star Wars is they pretty much played it too safe. Star Wars fans like to talk about how huge the universe is and how many possibilities there are to make something cool and unique, yet we keep coming back to the same handful of characters with the same elements (lightsabers, tiefighters, empire vs rebels etc) with almost no new angles or ideas.

I'm one of those who actually liked TFA, it wasn't brand new but it was the foundation for something that could have been good but unfortunately they dropped the ball with pretty much everything.
    Really only two things I enjoyed out of Disney, Rogue One and The Mandalorian. TFA just felt like it was rehashed from ANH....then TLJ was even more disappointing and felt like a rehash of ESB...then low and behold, gotta find the death star and kill the Emperor, felt like that was done before too. Saw Solo but it felt like he was a bystander for 90% or more of his own movie...felt like everyone around him had more character than he did (Even the droid felt like she had more personality than he did). The way he "came" up with his last name was a facepalm.

Mandalorian...not seen any of it. But you guys are annoying me...by provoking my curiosity.

Trek, DS9, 'nuff said.

I never understood why they didn't make any new Star Wars films after Return of the Jedi.

I watched the Mandalorian last week. This series was filmed incredibly beautifully. All combat scenes are well-designed. The nature and sunsets are simply stunning. You can admire the nature of the entire series, all the frames are simply gorgeous, and very realistic. The series has a very cool plot, it is interesting and exciting to watch. You can never predict the next moment. There are so many elements of surprise.

Both. Why do you need to choose?

very different.

star wars is your basic run and gun action flick, shallow.
    it has some great actors and great visuals due to big $$$$$$.

star trek was always low budget (sadly) and episodes vary wildly in tone and theme.
    great actors most of the time.
    Some are action, some are philosophical/moral/psychological/social, some are drama, some are simply entertaining weird ideas.

You watch Star Wars Episodes I-VI, like the creator intended. So that's six 2 hour movies that revolutionized the way cinema works. Numerous technologies were created for and around Star Wars, including Dolby and various other digital and practical techniques. You also have pop culture iconic characters like Darth Vader, Chewbacca, the Jedi, unique actors like Harrison ford, Samuel Jackson, Ian McDiarmid. Various designs that have become emblematic. You will be watching a staple of pop culture.

Then you watch whatever else, don't put one against another.

These days i would say Star Trek has pretty poor movies and utterly garbage TV and Star Wars has pretty poor movies but pretty great TV. So you should prolly watch a little bit of column a and a little bit of column b imho.