Page 1 of 2
LastLast

MM solo PVE. Omg it sucks!

So. Fricking. Annoying.

So obviously I had to go from BM to MM because I enjoy some PVP outside of raids, and BM is currently a dumpster fire at PVP.

First thing I noticed is that absolute only way for the pet to get aoe aggro is to use Misdirection, which obviously has a 30 sec cd and is far from usable every pull, not to mention it has an 8 sec duration, so trying to pull some mobs that don't stick together and then wait for them to jog to the pet, is going to make the timer run out before I can pull all I wanted.

Meanwhile, BM doesn't have this problem because it has Beast Cleave which is up constantly and the hunter's damage is too low for it to pull aggro off the pet, not to mention it also has Stomp for more aoe damage and threat.

So basically both my Exhilaration heal and Camouflage are kept on cd because I have to use them all the time to stay alive as I get hit by mobs after they drop aggro on my pet or just come straight to me, which is really annoying, not to mention any aoe killing requires jumping through hoops like dropping traps and binding shot. Meanwhile BM and pretty much anything else save mage, can just pull half the map and aoe it down.

Would it be so gamebreaking to give tank pets a a baseline aoe attack?

Manage your pet yes no clicky clicky

So first there was a thread about BM being bad on open world content and now someone is complaining about MM....

Meanwhile I'm thinking about all the rare mobs in the Maw that I can easily solo on my Hunter but have no chance to do on my Rogue...

I really think some Hunters should try to play other classes to get some context before they complain about Hunters being "bad" in open world content...

Sometimes it seems like "Hunter only players" live in this bubble where they have no idea what going on in the game other than them and their pets. Complaining about MM or BM hunter being weak or having issues in open world content is absolutely delusional. Yes, it might be worse than BFA. Hunters have a longer res time on pets. That's true. But it's still much much much better than how other classes are doing currently.

Just be happy with your class which is the absolute best and most diverse class in the whole game. Hunters got it goooooooooood!

Did hunters forget what feign death is or something?

Bloodsail Admiral
    10+ Year Old Account
    MM complaining while they have insane burst aoe probably never played something else besides hunters and doesn't know how good you guys actually have it right now

10+ Year Old Account
    BM with Spirit Beasts is the best for leveling imo. There is no need to go MM for leveling just because it deals a bit more dmg on a Patchwerk Sim.
    If you want to level MM anyway you will have to moce a lot more and utilize your CCs (traps, concussive shot etc). I woul definitely use the pet and not stick to lone wolf since this will make your life even more stressful.

I like leveling as MM since it's a bit more challenging and rewarding. I use the following macros:

#showtooltip Misdirection
    /cast [@focus,help][help][@pet,exists] Misdirection
    Just use before pulling multiple mobs. Use feign death after aggroing. Mobs should be down before you aggro again.

/petattack [@focus, harm, nodead][]
    /cast Hunter's Mark
    Using this for several reasons. Prepull to apply hunter's mark (what I would forget otherwise) while the pet already attacks the enemy when you cast your opener. Additionally you have an attack hotkey for your pet. You may add /cast growl on top to taunt an aggroing enemy during a pull with multiple enemies.

Perhaps that helps if you want to stick to MM while leveling.

*Game doesn't work how I want, waa waa waa*
    I doubt there is a problem, but even if it's changed significantly, adapt or die, those are your choices. You cannot complain that you should have a royal flush when you've got a seven of hearts in your hand, you cannot demand to roll again in Monopoly when you've just got a 1 & 2 and you cannot complain about your pet dropping aggro when you're the one over aggro'ing it. Manage your dps.

Quote Originally Posted by Nzx View Post
    Or binding shot... which is now baseline...

It's crazy to see all the Hunters complaining about their class and they are not even using half of their tool kit correctly. BFA has really dumbed down the game. Players have become absolutely helpless and if they die to a pack of 5 mobs then it must be because their class/spec SUCKS!

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Woadnson View Post
    *Game doesn't work how I want, waa waa waa*
    I doubt there is a problem, but even if it's changed significantly, adapt or die, those are your choices. You cannot complain that you should have a royal flush when you've got a seven of hearts in your hand, you cannot demand to roll again in Monopoly when you've just got a 1 & 2 and you cannot complain about your pet dropping aggro when you're the one over aggro'ing it. Manage your dps.

Hunters: "My Pet nearly died when I pulled that pack of 10 mobs! I almost had to turtle! THIS CLASS SUCKS!"

Rogues: "Is it even possible to pull 10 mobs?"

Oh the Hunter-bubble... what a wonderful place to live...

The mobs will stay in combat if they have been hitting your pet so you can just FD and continue.
    The only limiting thing is your pet and how many targets it can survive before you have ended the fight.

Also most classes cant take on large groups without using multiple cds or they are tanks.

Quote Originally Posted by Piesor View Post
    BM with a Clefthoof is the best for leveling imo.
    Fixed it for you...

Quote Originally Posted by The Butt Witch View Post
    So. Fricking. Annoying.

So obviously I had to go from BM to MM because I enjoy some PVP outside of raids, and BM is currently a dumpster fire at PVP.
    Just do world quests and stuff as BM ?
    Easy fix; it's what 90% of the MM players do as well I'm sure.
    MM isn't very suited for world content unless you 1v1 everything and try to kill it before it reaches you. And even then it's iffy as you will simply die if you accidentally pull extra's.

If you determined on MM for world content:
    - Be smarter with MD, popping it before knowing what you try to pull and then raging because it doesn't work as you planned is not MD's fault.
    You can cluster enemies with tar trap / binding shot / bursting shot / conc shot / freezing trap / etc and then MD big damage when everything is clustered.
    - Use FD to give all aggro to pet as well.

That said, unless you want the challange/practice, just go BM.
    Clearly you're fed up enough that you're willing to make a post, if you reach that level you might as well just go BM :P

BM with Spirit Beasts is the best for leveling imo.

As Iwa Washi mentioned. Clefthoof is THE pet for solo content, it's the most tanky of all the pets and heals the most of all the pets.
    Turn off Animal Companion (so it's damage and leech isn't nerfed by 35%) and that thing is near 'player tank' levels of tanky.

Spirit Beast is a good alternative at times if you don't need to have your pet tank though (e.g. in the Maw with a tank buddy), as it's healing can generally keep you alive against all the random aoe damage going out. But it's not the best solo pet.

Quote Originally Posted by Kaver View Post
    Hunters: "My Pet nearly died when I pulled that pack of 10 mobs! I almost had to turtle! THIS CLASS SUCKS!"

Rogues: "Is it even possible to pull 10 mobs?"

Oh the Hunter-bubble... what a wonderful place to live...
    Rogue just stealths by everything, not even NEEDING to pull half the packs that hunter might have to pull. With a combination of sap / vanish / sprint, this is insanely powerful. 90% of the time as a rogue in the maw I don't even NEED to kill 10 mobs, as i can sneak past and just surgically take out the 1 mob that's standing in the way.
    Every class has it's perks.

On my shadow priest anything solo can be insanely hard as things tear through me, however it too has it's own perks. Self healing which can safe you where hunters die (pet can't soak AoE damage and hunters have some of the lowest survivability against constant damage pressure); very high single target damage/burst that is not tied to long cooldowns or long cast times, so you can chain 1v1 fights very fast.

Also, if you're THIS jealous of hunters (which you clearly are by all the BM hate mongering), maybe just roll a hunter instead of littering the forum with flame bait.

So. Fricking. Annoying.

First thing I noticed is that absolute only way for the pet to get aoe aggro is to use Misdirection, which obviously has a 30 sec cd and is far from usable every pull, not to mention it has an 8 sec duration, so trying to pull some mobs that don't stick together and then wait for them to jog to the pet, is going to make the timer run out before I can pull all I wanted.

Meanwhile, BM doesn't have this problem because it has Beast Cleave which is up constantly and the hunter's damage is too low for it to pull aggro off the pet, not to mention it also has Stomp for more aoe damage and threat.

So basically both my Exhilaration heal and Camouflage are kept on cd because I have to use them all the time to stay alive as I get hit by mobs after they drop aggro on my pet or just come straight to me, which is really annoying, not to mention any aoe killing requires jumping through hoops like dropping traps and binding shot. Meanwhile BM and pretty much anything else save mage, can just pull half the map and aoe it down.

Would it be so gamebreaking to give tank pets a a baseline aoe attack?
    Get yourself either a Clefthoof or an armadillo from Zuldazar. 10% leech, tank ability, Bloodlust if needed
    Spec into Volley
    Use Misdirection and Trick Shots at the start of any given aoe pull.
    Micromanage your pet: use taunt, use petattack macros
    Keep Mend Pet up
    Spend your Precise Shots in Multi Shots, follow a normal aoe rotation
    If overpulling, place a Tar Trap and finish the wandering mobs or, if needed, Feign Death

This is my self learned Hunter cheat sheet, started playing the class in september (although really played Surv only). Maybe it could help you too.
    Good luck.

Kiting, misdirect, feign death, kill it before it reaches you...take your pick. I play MM and this has absolutely never been an issue for me. Make sure you use a ferocity pet for soloing, it will make your life way easier, 15% leech is enough that you can facetank a lot of the game tbh.

If you're having problems soloing as marksman you're probably just shutting off your brain. BM still exists, you can always just switch to it when you don't want to think about this stuff.

Quote Originally Posted by agm114r View Post
    Hunters...there is no class *ever* easier to level than hunter.

I have one, so I know, but, I have other classes, so I know just how easy they are in comparison.
    Locks are pretty easy, I haven't used the clefthoof but I would say voidwalker is a far superior pet then almost all hunter pets. I don't play lock so I don't even know if I'm doing anything right but I found my ilvl 50 lock about as easy as my ilvl BM hunter. The difference is the tankyness of the pets. Far superior in a lock while a lock also still does good damage. Maybe I should look into a clefthoof.
    Quote Originally Posted by Nizah View Post
    why so mad bro

Quote Originally Posted by Nzx View Post
    no. there is just a reason we have the nickname huntard. a good hunter is rather uncommon.

Mechagnome
    7+ Year Old Account
    just use a gorilla? or any pet with an aoe?

BM with Spirit Beasts is the best for leveling imo. There is no need to go MM for leveling just because it deals a bit more dmg on a Patchwerk Sim.
    If you want to level MM anyway you will have to moce a lot more and utilize your CCs (traps, concussive shot etc). I woul definitely use the pet and not stick to lone wolf since this will make your life even more stressful.

I like leveling as MM since it's a bit more challenging and rewarding. I use the following macros:

#showtooltip Misdirection
    /cast [@focus,help][help][@pet,exists] Misdirection
    Just use before pulling multiple mobs. Use feign death after aggroing. Mobs should be down before you aggro again.

/petattack [@focus, harm, nodead][]
    /cast Hunter's Mark
    Using this for several reasons. Prepull to apply hunter's mark (what I would forget otherwise) while the pet already attacks the enemy when you cast your opener. Additionally you have an attack hotkey for your pet. You may add /cast growl on top to taunt an aggroing enemy during a pull with multiple enemies.

Perhaps that helps if you want to stick to MM while leveling.
    Whats the point of using Hunters mark?

You're leveling in a fresh expansion.
    Trying to AoE every pack you meet is not going to work.

One of my main alts is hunter since 2007.
    Currently that character is 55.
    I have no problems.
    I either kill single mobs before they even close to melee, and if needed CC a 2nd target with trap.
    If there is an occasion where I actually have to kill a large pack, then a pull out my pet and use Misdirection.
    If things go south, I just Feign Death.

Honestly, I don't understand how you can have difficulty leveling a hunter.

Quote Originally Posted by Kaver View Post
    So first there was a thread about BM being bad on open world content and now someone is complaining about MM....

Meanwhile I'm thinking about all the rare mobs in the Maw that I can easily solo on my Hunter but have no chance to do on my Rogue...

I really think some Hunters should try to play other classes to get some context before they complain about Hunters being "bad" in open world content...

Sometimes it seems like "Hunter only players" live in this bubble where they have no idea what going on in the game other than them and their pets. Complaining about MM or BM hunter being weak or having issues in open world content is absolutely delusional. Yes, it might be worse than BFA. Hunters have a longer res time on pets. That's true. But it's still much much much better than how other classes are doing currently.

Just be happy with your class which is the absolute best and most diverse class in the whole game. Hunters got it goooooooooood!
    This so much. I swear to god there is a thread like this every single day, meanwhile other classes have real issues.
    This isn't funny anymore. Stop

So. Fricking. Annoying.

Yes you are right MM hunter is terrible at solo or Torghast, espiecally at killing last boss.

Pet is not as strong as the BM one and there is nothing to offset it.

Whole MM hunter doesnt feel like a great spec tbh...

Like in pve the way you do bl/Primal Rage that you have to summon pet, cast it and dismiss so you get that 10% dmg buff back .. dismissing takes long time like 3-4 secs where you gonna loose that BL uptime and damage... its unpolished for MM, they should just get proper BL in hunter theme like "Party Focus" or something ...