NVMe problems...

Hi people of the computer section o/
    I'm having problems with my PC.

Gigabyte B450M DS3H
    Ryzen 2400g
    Radeon RX590
    16Gb RAM

Everything was working fine and dandy until last night when my shiny new NVMe ssd arrived and I put it in.....
    For some reason when I have the m2 slot in use my PC wont post / boot if i have the GPU plugged in (power cable) however unplugging the gpu power cable and running the HDMI to my internal gpu boots perfectly.
    If I remove the NVMe SSD from the system then my GPU goes back to functioning perfectly.

Any ideas you can swing my way?

Quote Originally Posted by Attackrabbit View Post
    Hi people of the computer section o/
    I'm having problems with my PC.

Gigabyte B450M DS3H
    Ryzen 2400g
    Radeon RX590
    16Gb RAM

Everything was working fine and dandy until last night when my shiny new NVMe ssd arrived and I put it in.....
    For some reason when I have the m2 slot in use my PC wont post / boot if i have the GPU plugged in (power cable) however unplugging the gpu power cable and running the HDMI to my internal gpu boots perfectly.
    If I remove the NVMe SSD from the system then my GPU goes back to functioning perfectly.

Any ideas you can swing my way?
    It may be an issue with the PCIe lanes. Might want to check for any BIOS updates for the board.

Might also check for driver updates for the GPU, and depending on what kind of NVMe drive it is, it may have specific software for it. I have a Crucial drive and it has "Crucial Storage Executive".
    Last edited by talwynn; 2020-12-10 at 02:18 PM.

I have latest drivers for GPU, just came across the WesternDigital Dashboard which may apparently have a firmware upgrade for the ssd but at the moment I'm not sure that doing anything to the ssd would be helpful. Probably going to look into upgrading the BIOS once I manage to read the tiny tiny rev# on the mobo.

Having trouble finding out exactly what lanes are in use by the nvme slot but (and here is where the classic 'assumption being the mother of all fuck ups' no doubt raises it's ugly head) I would assume that with the board only having 1 m2 slot it wouldn't be set to 'interfere' with the PCIex16 slot....
    I'll do some more research and come running back here before too long
    Last edited by Attackrabbit; 2020-12-10 at 02:41 PM.

15+ Year Old Account
    Using a nvme drive turns off certain sata port, make sure it's not your boot drive, sounds like what happened to you.
    Your mobo guide will tell you what sata ports will be disabled.
    Quote Originally Posted by GrinnersGrin View Post
    If Tinkers aren't the next class in WoW I'll shit in my hands and clap then eat my shoe.

Quote Originally Posted by Sativex View Post
    Using a nvme drive turns off certain sata port, make sure it's not your boot drive, sounds like what happened to you.
    Your mobo guide will tell you what sata ports will be disabled.
    I'm using the nvme as my boot drive and it runs fine both with and without my sata drives plugged in...as long as I'm willing to use the integrated graphics which I'm not overly fond of doing.
    Hopefully borrowing a PSU tomorrow just to rule out power issues which it really shouldn't be but never hurts to check.

15+ Year Old Account
    does your mobo have 2 me slots? try the other one. mine has 2 and i only use the one closest to the cpu, the other one uses the pci lanes.
    Quote Originally Posted by GrinnersGrin View Post
    If Tinkers aren't the next class in WoW I'll shit in my hands and clap then eat my shoe.

Only has the one unfortunately :/
    It wasn't a power issue, tried 3 different PSU's in the end and same results.
    However after more fiddling with BIOS i did manage to get it to boot numerous times with the GFX card connected....of course when I went to install the drivers it got to the 'now we need to restart' bit and has refused to boot since ^^
    Looks like next step is definintely going to have to be updating BIOS, never done it before so fingers crossed

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Attackrabbit View Post
    Looks like next step is definintely going to have to be updating BIOS, never done it before so fingers crossed
    Luckily it is easy nowadays. Many boards have built in automatic updater. Just press update (while connected to the internet) and watch the installer go through. At least that was the case for me.

I had the same problem with my B450. Flash the BIOs for sure. Some boards (even if you recently bought it) are still on the OG bios back from when a lot of this stuff was fairly new tech and was pretty much trash.

In fact, with most AMD tech just be ready to do that a lot. They love new MB drivers and bios updates that actually are fairly helpful in getting your PC running better. Just sucks they happen fairly often.

Quote Originally Posted by Viikkis View Post
    Luckily it is easy nowadays. Many boards have built in automatic updater. Just press update (while connected to the internet) and watch the installer go through. At least that was the case for me.
    It certainly looks / sounds easy enough - probably just to lull me into a false sense of security...

Quote Originally Posted by Low Hanging Fruit View Post
    I had the same problem with my B450. Flash the BIOs for sure. Some boards (even if you recently bought it) are still on the OG bios back from when a lot of this stuff was fairly new tech and was pretty much trash.

In fact, with most AMD tech just be ready to do that a lot. They love new MB drivers and bios updates that actually are fairly helpful in getting your PC running better. Just sucks they happen fairly often.

So having discovered I'm still on F1 BIOS (yes the very first BIOS those boards shipped with ) it seems that all my problems may well be solved once I update....I've gone over the process and am aware of certain things that need to be done and which BIOS updates I need to install, now all I have to do is teach my little one to talk so he can tell me where he put my flash drive....