Poll: How do you feel about Torghast

Page 9 of 23 FirstFirst ...
... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by Gravity2015 View Post
    DPS with dog shit abilities inside unable to kill the last boss after wasting ~45minutes to get there a hard 0.5/10
    There's nothing worse than wasting time slogging thru all the floors, getting terrible anima powers, and getting cucked by the final boss thanks to RNG.

10+ Year Old Account
    Torghast has been a boring slog thusfar. But I also think it depends on your class/spec whether or not you'll have fun.

The BM Hunter anima powers are a snoozefest that offer no big burst or fun alternative playstyle whatsoever. A rare anima power is that when you use eyes of the beast your pet deals 100% more damage. I mean really? That's a rare power? It's absolutely useless.

Meanwhile on my (alt) demonology warlock I got offered powers with which I could actually sizeably increase my damage output of my demons. I had a lot more fun in Torghast in that single run than I've had in all runs on my hunter combined.

I'm okay with it. I'd like it if you could save your progress. It's just hard for me to have to schedule the time necessary to complete. If you could just log out in the zone and come back that would be fine.

Being able to save would move it from just okay but a huge slog in one sitting to really fun for me.

With the right classes it's fun.

It's fun on druids because it's so easy. It's fun on my mage because it's actually quite challenging. (One boss i had to spam my mirror step to get it to instant/30s cooldown, had to blink on cooldown for bubbles and Mirror Images and just nuke the boss until the area was full of things shooting lazers at me, then move to the next area and do the same, and almost had to go to a third area right as he dropped. It was thrilling, I had to use every cooldown I had.)
    I like figuring out which traits are worth getting. It reminds me of the old castle of the winds but with WoW classes/powers. Hitting a boss you can't beat is like getting stuck in a room you can't escape. Just gotta start over.

Make your legendary and be done with it if you dislike it.
    Last edited by blankfaced; 2020-12-11 at 02:26 PM.
    I'm a thread killer.

The Patient
    10+ Year Old Account
    I will say I dislike the torments on higher layers/levels. Right now I'm kind of hovering around being able to beat layer 3 on both my BM hunter (around 170 ilvl) and my Vengeance DH (around 155 ilvl) with ease, but when I did layer 4 on my BM hunter it was challenging and I felt the amount of extra time spent vs. the reward (only a few more soul ash) wasn't worth it. I'll likely continue doing layer 3 on both toons (maybe trying higher layers on my tank DH) for the foreseeable future until my ilvl is higher.

For me as a casual player who just does heroic dungeons, world quests and LFR, the time it takes to complete a run factors into the equation for me. Fun vs. a slog vs, 30 minute run vs 1 hour run (as an example, I haven't timed myself).

I'm enjoying the concept of Torghast, especially the fact you can run it solo without needing to rely on anyone else. That's my favorite part. Even back in BFA we had island expeditions but you had to do it with 2 other randos and results varied.

I would like to see the final boss have a chance to drop some blue or purple (on the higher layers) gear, and make it so such rewards only drop once per "wing" per week. Like if I complete layer 8 of wing 1 I get a chest with a few pieces of gear or one epic piece, etc. and then I can't get any more gear from any of the layers of that wing for the rest of the week. Just so that people wouldn't feel "compelled" to run them.

I would also like it if that "great vault" would give out weekly rewards for people who have completed the higher layers of Torghast. Like maybe layer 6 and up. Or perhaps scaling rewards so that even those who completed layer 3 only could get some gear or tokens to put toward gear.

I know Blizz wanted to do away with some of the "free loot" with Shadowlands, so I doubt those type of things will happen until later in the expansion, if at all, but that's my perspective as someone who now only will run each wing about once per week on each of my toons, in the interest of slowly saving up for the next tier of a legendary. Both toons have their 190 ilvl legendary.

On a side note, I like the fact that the Torghast upgrades bought in the Maw are account-wide. I just wish the Maw upgrades (upgrades that affect you in the Maw, not Torghast) were also account-wide. Without that, I really only do the Maw on one character because I don't have time to do the Maw weekly and daily quests on multiple toons most weeks. I'd rather focus on a single character to boost his rep up and unlock all the Torghast upgrades faster.

10+ Year Old Account
    Let down by being long and pointless for very little reward. What could have been alternative progression is instead the legendary grind engine. It's engaging enough but the novelty of meme powers will wear off eventually
    Wrath baby and proud of it

Im really enjoying it. Im sad once I cap dust and the full runs. It actually makes me want to level a few alts to run it some more.

Quote Originally Posted by GreenJesus View Post
    Now that i've played it I get why there isn't an endless version. We would just literally kill everything in one shot and then leech to full health every second.
    And that's bad because...?

I'm not kidding when I say, Torghast may legit be my favorite piece of content ever added to the game (well, besides Transmogging). I used to enjoy Raiding when I was in college, but now I just don't have the patience to deal with unnecessary stress (and running raids is nothing BUT stress most of the time). And to be perfectly blunt; people are fucking *mean* in this game now. I can't even blame Blizzard for that, the in-game community is just awful, and it's honestly no fun playing with people that just want to one-shot everything and attack others when things go wrong.

Torghast has been great, because I've had a couple of friends return for Shadowlands, and we can run Torghast whenever we like, no matter which of us are online.

If anything, I almost wish they could elevate it further with up to like 10 people. They'd have to make changes, like maybe mobs are immune to taunt and aggro mechanics, they target players completely randomly, so it still creates more of an "every man for himself" vibe that makes Torghast so awesome?

Either way, I'm happy with it. I hope they can perhaps add some rewards to it, for those who push for higher levels, that perhaps it can be an alternative gearing path for those who don't Raid or PvP, something kind of comparable to Mythic+ dungeons?

Quote Originally Posted by Logwyn View Post
    Some levels have a buff that things appear if you are not in combat long enough. I've let mawrats run around keeping me in combat or fighting a mob and two seconds later the "not in combat" mobs spawn.
    Yea, but that doesnt trigger the "You are Hunted" message. They just Spawn as soon as you dont need them. ^^

Its ok, people want reasons to be upset.

That's fine.

Because they get a check.

You should never listen to streamers really. They've been saying that torghast is great for months and at the same time shitting all over the covenant system and as it turns out they're wrong on both accounts. Covenants are awesome and torghast is boring.
    They don't play the game like us regular folks and the sooner we stop emulating them and listening to them the better.

The Lightbringer
    10+ Year Old Account
    It’s a rogue like mode, so yes you can get some runs where your an unstoppable killing machine and then you get some runs where’s your praying for mercy.
    Im enjoying it on my sp atm, soloed every layer so far with relative ease. The only main problem i have is having to loot every damn mob I kill and the lack of move speeds increases I get.

Quote Originally Posted by Lahkesis View Post
    When they were praising it, it wasn't time-gated and it was more fun. They did not know it would be a weekly time-gated thing because, at the time, it wasn't. It was a test environment where you could endlessly compound powers, the powers were more broken and you could do it all at once. You had to remember to get your soul ash or leggo drop from a chest at the end of the floor, it didn't drop off the boss, there were no torments (fuck those random spawning things, they are NOT fun) etc

Honestly, I played Torghast in alpha and beta and it was way more fun when you could compound powers on higher floors. The gating of 6 floors really makes the power accumulation feel like it only gets good on Floor 5 of any given layer. As soon as Layer 8 opens, I will only do Layer 8s (in groups if I have to) each week and I will never do the lower layers again because Torghast is no longer fun to do.

It was more fun when it mattered less. Also, I hate Ven'ari and the maw and the fact that you have to go there for Stygia to get Torghast rewards to make your runs better or easier.
    i love posts like this. what exactly do you want the game to be? everything seems to be a downer for a portion of the playerbase. You know, the people who wait for cyberpunk to come out, spend a day or 2 on it and then say its trash. looking for the next thing to be excited over until they actually get it.

im glad torghast exists, if only to make whiny people complaina bout it. Especially because they have to do it or have no legendaries. its fun.

5+ Year Old Account
    Personally i find it fun.

For the most part it is not mindless pulling and aoe done.

You have a chance to plan pulls and take risks depending on what animas you get.

Also enjoy that if I don’t feel like running it over and over I can just skip to a higher layer and get it done in one go. On days I’m short on time.

Over all I am looking forward to pushing higher layers in Solo and team play.

Quote Originally Posted by Greyvax View Post
    There's nothing worse than wasting time slogging thru all the floors, getting terrible anima powers, and getting cucked by the final boss thanks to RNG.
    The ever increasing health mobs spawning is you happen to stop for a few seconds comes a close second. The assassin ones rip my Mage to shreds. Now we have a pair of dogs that silence you so also not great. I find Torghast to be a pile of shit. I can piss all over it on my Resto Druid thanks to the scaling but it takes a week to moonfire and wrath things to death.

Because it is. Granted, Beta version of Torghast was a lot different than the live version.

Quote Originally Posted by Vakir View Post
    Torghast went through some iterations since streamers were talking it up. Everything was cut down into 6 floor runs or 18 floor Twisting Corridors runs whereas the various runs being done on early Alpha through about mid-Beta were plentiful with Anima Powers and could go over many floors. I understand why they did this - some runs can already take such a long time that it would be hard for the average player to have the longevity needed of a session to retain their progress. But it does play out rather different, as it means your run only feels like it's just getting crazy by the time it's over.
    As a vengeance DH, it took me over an hour to go through a tier 5 Torghast run this week. I might have been able to get through it more quickly as Havoc, but then I'd have risked losing all my deaths to the run due to some of the pulls and patrols being pretty awful. 1 floor in particular took me around 25 minutes, not because it was huge, but because there were 4-5 rares/elites in addition to the end-of-floor boss.

As someone who's playing more casually than many people at the start of the expansion, I only dedicate my WoW time to one or 2 major tasks each time I play. I don't want to feel like I'm dedicating a raid-like length of time to 1 piece of content, but if I must, then I'd at least like to enjoy it. Torghast does just that, albeit not quite as much time needed as a raid would. I am enjoying the overall experience of the expansion so far, much more than previous expansions, and I place Torghast on the same level as the other things going on in the game right now.

Had it been designed to require more than 6 floors per run to complete, I probably wouldn't have bothered. The legendary powers I'm interested in won't be available until the last wing is available (assuming they're available in LFR) so I've still got another few weeks before I even need to think about crafting one.

With that in mind, I still think they'll introduce extended runs in the future, perhaps even adding a mode where people continue until they get bored, and get a proportional amount of rewards for the run by the time they quit. The idea is good in practice, and providing more variation and flexibility to the rogue-like experience would probably be welcomed by the community.

It's fun the first time, a slog on alts tho, especially having to redo layers from scratch on each alt instead of just using the last layer unlocked by your main.

Doing this on my fire mage, there isn't much strategy involved at higher floors. Pull with all cds, down the elite, invis if other elite was pulled and wait for combustion, repeat. The chambers with the spawning dogs/assassin are annoying, yeah I guess they're there to prevent me from waiting for cds on each pull, but I can't kill them without combustion so have to wait anyways and deal with the spawns, just hope they don't spawn as you pull.

There isn't much thinking involved, not even on my SPriest/FDK, it's mostly autopilot doing the same thing 1 pull at a time with full cds and without ccing (can't even cc some packs like the double elite packs or they will murder my Spriest with 10 stacks for example). Also they really should enable mounts, a big chunk of it just walking around.

But the truly annoying part is when you breeze through the floors and only to get hardstuck on the floor6 boss due to bad powerups/overtuning.

EDIT: As someone who plays lots of roguelikes (Even in the process of developing one kek), Torghast feels pretty barebones compared to almost anything I play, lack of interesting powerups that change up your gameplay, you see the same rooms over and over again with the same mobs that all do the same thing. They should've made mobs be like the fights from Brawler's guild, each mob with their own 'gimmick' so you get interesting rooms when mob X and mob Y are in the same room, instead of the current mobs basically autoattacking you with 1 avoidable spell or 1 interruptable spell.
    The 10 stacks thingy should be removed, it is just a bandaid to bad design imo. Add more spells to bosses, like to prevent them from being kited give them freedom or ranged avoidable projectiles etc, you get the idea, as of right now bosses pretty much just kill me by auto attacking me to death which is pretty boring.
    Last edited by CylomDashti; 2020-12-11 at 09:52 PM.