Page 1 of 2
1
2
LastLast
  1. #1

    All covenants on 1 main?

    I like completing everything on my main where possible.

    Things that 'last' like reps especially. I dont want to bother grinding out a rep on an alt (like needing Avowed but also needing the Venthyr covenant to get a mount).


    At the moment, my main is Night Fae.

    Ive noticed that all achievements I can see are ONLY relevant to my chosen covenant.
    Theres the mushroom rep as well (which doesnt show in the rep panel).

    I know its possible, but my question is is it practical to get 'everything' from a covenant and then swap to another?
    At a guess, the main gating would be Renown, and theres catchups for that I think?

    So if in a month or so, I have build up everything with the night fae, maxed out mushroom reps, completed the campaign, etc.
    I swap over to another one and do it all again.
    It should be a lot faster since renown will be faster to get, the only gating would just be however many days it takes to max out the 'feature' of that covenant.


    Do achievement points from the previous covenant get dropped? Are they hidden but still count? Or the equivelant ones just unlocked like a Faction Transfer?
    Its likely covenants will be added to over the expansion, so swapping back again in 9.1 or whatever to get all 4 'updates' is likely needed as well.



    Or, am I overthinking this?
    Should I just make get 3 alts into their own covenants.
    is there anything else like the Mushroom rep and the Avowed mount that are grinds that require specific covenants?

  2. #2
    Practical - sure, especially as there is renown catchup in place.

    However - I might wait a bit, as I suspect part of shadowlands will involve 'widening' your horizons beyond your home covenant (both for lore and game play reasons).

    You have 3 or 4 months to max out renown on one covenant ... so there isn't any hurry.

    Due to COVID-19, Germany is running out of sausages and cheese.
    The government considers this to be the Wurst Käse scenario

  3. #3
    Quote Originally Posted by Squigglyo View Post
    I know its possible, but my question is is it practical to get 'everything' from a covenant and then swap to another?
    Not practical at this phase of the expansion. I will be doing the same thing, but I will wait until I can access max renown. Even if the cap increases during the expansion. By that time I will have gained most, if not all, of the rep through world quests, so I will be able to buy the stuff I want and focus on doing the storyline. With the catch up in place already, doing the remaining covenants should be done in a couple of weeks and I can return to my chosen one.

    No need to jump around every time something new is added in a patch. Simply play your chosen covenant NOW and do the others when the cap is reached. Remember, it is easy to switch to other covenants, but coming back to one is not that easy. I will save myself the trouble by waiting.

  4. #4
    Not practical, no. I've been wondering the same, but you'd probably have to wait 4 months until you're done with the first covenant, and then do the other 3, which might be a bit quicker with catch-up, but it'll probably take you over half a year. And then patches will most likely add on to the covenants, so you might have to start over with the first content update.

    Bad system, plain and simple.

  5. #5
    Quote Originally Posted by Squigglyo View Post
    I like completing everything on my main where possible.

    Things that 'last' like reps especially. I dont want to bother grinding out a rep on an alt (like needing Avowed but also needing the Venthyr covenant to get a mount).


    At the moment, my main is Night Fae.

    Ive noticed that all achievements I can see are ONLY relevant to my chosen covenant.
    Theres the mushroom rep as well (which doesnt show in the rep panel).

    I know its possible, but my question is is it practical to get 'everything' from a covenant and then swap to another?
    At a guess, the main gating would be Renown, and theres catchups for that I think?

    So if in a month or so, I have build up everything with the night fae, maxed out mushroom reps, completed the campaign, etc.
    I swap over to another one and do it all again.
    It should be a lot faster since renown will be faster to get, the only gating would just be however many days it takes to max out the 'feature' of that covenant.


    Do achievement points from the previous covenant get dropped? Are they hidden but still count? Or the equivelant ones just unlocked like a Faction Transfer?
    Its likely covenants will be added to over the expansion, so swapping back again in 9.1 or whatever to get all 4 'updates' is likely needed as well.



    Or, am I overthinking this?
    Should I just make get 3 alts into their own covenants.
    is there anything else like the Mushroom rep and the Avowed mount that are grinds that require specific covenants?
    If you really wanted to, I would wait until the end of the expansion, during the long drought before the next expansion. It would be the perfect time to go back and do all the other content with all the 9.1/9.2/9.3 content out by then and the subsequent catch-up mechanics in place.

    Especially if Blizzard eventually caves and lets everyone "join" all 4 covenants in a later patch, with some lore excuse like, "Hero! You've saved Ardenweald. Now, the other Covenants require your aid. Choose another! And another after that!"

    ..it would be really stupid to do them all now and have the ability to unlock them all later, is all I'm saying.

  6. #6
    Quote Originally Posted by Lionhearte0 View Post
    Especially if Blizzard eventually caves and lets everyone "join" all 4 covenants in a later patch
    Don't count on that, Ion's pride and ego is way too big to let it happen

  7. #7
    I am Murloc! gaymer77's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2009
    Location
    Central California
    Posts
    5,022
    First I have to address something you have wrong here. There's two different things you're talking about. There's reputation and covenant. Yes the covenants require reputation for certain transmog items from the quartermasters but you need to keep in mind that stuff like all the xmog stuff require you to CURRENTLY be a member of that covenant to use regardless of your reputation with any of the Shadowlands reputation factions. That means that if your main is with the Night Fae, it can not use any other transmogs that are locked behind Kyrian, Venthyr, or Necrolords. Kryian, Venthyr, Necrolords, and Night Fae are not reputation factions at all so there is no "grind" to them outside of renown. In terms of changing covenants, it is a week long process to join another covenant and a 2 week long process to rejoin one that you were previously in (quest to join a new covenant you've never been a part of is a weekly and to rejoin one you've been a part of before requires that weekly to be done twice). Since nobody has joined one, left it for another, left the new one, and rejoined the first one yet we don't know if the renown, soulbinds, and progress you gained the first time is still there or if you start from scratch again. Other thing worth noting is Undying Army, Court of Harvesters, Wild Hunt, and Ascended are all associated with the 4 different covenants, they are not THE reputation faction of the 4 different covenants. They are a "neutral" faction that all players can gain reputation with for varying rewards with that faction that aren't tied into a covenant. The Avowed are actually another neutral faction that just happens to be in a zone for one of the covenants. Court of Night is a faction tied into the Night Fae but anyone can end up getting some reputation with them (my priest is Necro and is 500/3000 neutral with them right now). Stitchmasters are just a reputation faction directly tied to making constructs for the Necrolords so its not possible to get rep with them unless you are with the Necrolords. Last thing to note is that regardless of the renown level of a character, as long as they are a part of the noted covenant then they can use any of the transmog pieces ore mounts that require to be part of a specific covenant BUT any character who is NOT part of that covenant can NOT use anything that requires being a part of one covenant.

  8. #8
    Bet there'll be a Feat of Strength to reach 40 Renown on all 4 Covenants on the one Character at some point...

  9. #9
    Or, am I overthinking this?/
    Yes.

    Should I just make get 3 alts into their own covenants.
    Yes.

    More than anything else, doing something like that is pointless.

    Mounts, pets, toys and transmog are all account wide. It literally does not matter which character you unlock those on, and it's also not identifiable in any way. Once you unlock/learn those things, your account has them. And you are done. There is no difference between unlocking them on multiple characters vs. doing it on one.

    The only relevant part of the game for collectors that still has a "per character" distinction is the achievement system, and this won't matter either, because you will unlock the achievements by just doing one covenant and there is no mechanic in this game that makes you un-receive achievements by losing the requirements to get them.

    I know there are some people stuck with this "I am doing everything on one character" mentality but it's high time to let it go. Besides, I'm not even sure how you farmed any mounts in the past if you only considered collectibles acquired on your main as legitimate. Even farming 1% raid drop mounts/pets/toys is near impossible with just 1 character. If you're an even remotely serious collector you've already used alts to collect things, stop clowning around.


    Quote Originally Posted by Daedius View Post
    Bet there'll be a Feat of Strength to reach 40 Renown on all 4 Covenants on the one Character at some point...
    No there won't. The very basis of this expansion is the idea that the player/character joins one covenant and it becomes part of their identity. The possibility of changing the covenant is only there for gameplay reasons, and the(too) small penalty for changing it is only as lax as it is because people were crying so much to make it so.

    If anything close to that ever shows up in the game it would probably be an achievement for having 4 different characters with 4 different covenants maxed.

  10. #10
    you also can't see other covenant's mounts, at least i couldn't see one i got for venthyr (main is fae)

    they could be 1 for 1, so maybe it's not a massive deal.

  11. #11
    Bloodsail Admiral Depakote's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2012
    Location
    Alpha Quadrant
    Posts
    1,222
    That's what i'm doing. All my casters are with Fae, My warrior because she's an engineer will go with the people in the first zone you visit (i forget the name, sorry) my dk will go with Maldraxxus and my Paladin will go with Revendreth i think. As for my hunter, Druid and Monk i don't know yet though i'm leaning towards Ardenweald for my druid at least.

  12. #12
    Dreadlord Ryken's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Location
    Mid-Michigan (Originally Victoria, Australia)
    Posts
    980
    Quote Originally Posted by Othraerir View Post
    you also can't see other covenant's mounts, at least i couldn't see one i got for venthyr (main is fae)

    they could be 1 for 1, so maybe it's not a massive deal.
    In your mount journal, top right, go to filter and tick "unusable" and it will show all the other covenant mounts.

  13. #13
    There is a 100% chance that we'll be given the "opportunity" to join a second covenant in one of the .5 patches. That's free content padding for Blizzard.

    Wouldn't be surprised if every character has been through all 4 by the end, honestly. What's easier for Blizzard, actually making new content, or just flipping a switch to let us join multiple covenants?

  14. #14
    Field Marshal
    Join Date
    Dec 2011
    Location
    Planet Earth
    Posts
    82
    I would do this if I knew for certain I can use all appearances on the same toon whenever it pleased me, but I doubt it will be possible. My alts are able to transmog into items I've unlocked on my main but only if they're the same amor type AND the same covenant. I love collecting appearances so I'm basically doing 3 alts of the same class for the other 3 covenants and betting that in an expansion or two we'll be able to transmog them (like we did for legion artefacts)

  15. #15
    Just like legions legendary achievement, aka all class campaigns....xd
    Youtube channel: https://www.youtube.com/c/djuntas ARPG - RTS - MMO
    NZXT H440 - Asus Z97 A Mobo - Corsair RM 850 - Intel I5 4590 CPU - Evo TX3 Cooler Master - Asus 970 Strix - 250GB SSD 850 Evo - Seagate Barracuda 1TB HDD - Windows 10

  16. #16
    Even before SL released that was my plan, because I am also of the I like to do all things on main if possible type. Now that I've played it I know that is never going to happen, ridiculous that it was setup like this in the first place as a lot of people like to "finish" the game on their mains then move on to alts. I wouldn't complain if it was 1 or 2 things here or there, but this time it is a lot tied to these covs. I will just use 3 alts to see/collect up the rest of the covs.

    It reminds me a little of how you used to have to get exalted with the gobs and then bloodsail and then back to the gobs for booty bay access after grindling out 'the insane'. Never could get myself to finish that seemingly endless and most boringly long grind.

    - - - Updated - - -

    Quote Originally Posted by phattsao View Post
    There is a 100% chance that we'll be given the "opportunity" to join a second covenant in one of the .5 patches. That's free content padding for Blizzard.

    Wouldn't be surprised if every character has been through all 4 by the end, honestly. What's easier for Blizzard, actually making new content, or just flipping a switch to let us join multiple covenants?
    Personally I don't see that coming at all and if it ever did it would be waaay after being able to wear a second legendary as all the min/maxers are about to be capped on their first. And whats more fun than raising the ilvl of gear that never leaves your bags.
    Last edited by slime; 2020-12-31 at 02:06 PM.

  17. #17
    Quote Originally Posted by Depakote View Post
    That's what i'm doing. All my casters are with Fae, My warrior because she's an engineer will go with the people in the first zone you visit (i forget the name, sorry) my dk will go with Maldraxxus and my Paladin will go with Revendreth i think. As for my hunter, Druid and Monk i don't know yet though i'm leaning towards Ardenweald for my druid at least.
    Ardenweald seems designed specifically for Hunter and Druid classes in mind. The entire nature theme combined with coming across Ysera and Huln Highmountain just seems like Blizzard definitely wanted this zone to apply to them.
    I haven’t delved into Revendreth or Bastion too much, but I’d probably go with Bastion for the Monk. The themes just seem closer than the Revendreth one.

    - - - Updated - - -

    Quote Originally Posted by phattsao View Post
    There is a 100% chance that we'll be given the "opportunity" to join a second covenant in one of the .5 patches. That's free content padding for Blizzard.

    Wouldn't be surprised if every character has been through all 4 by the end, honestly. What's easier for Blizzard, actually making new content, or just flipping a switch to let us join multiple covenants?
    By the end of the xpac I can see Blizzard giving the opportunity to swap between them freely.

  18. #18
    Quote Originally Posted by phattsao View Post
    There is a 100% chance that we'll be given the "opportunity" to join a second covenant in one of the .5 patches. That's free content padding for Blizzard.

    Wouldn't be surprised if every character has been through all 4 by the end, honestly. What's easier for Blizzard, actually making new content, or just flipping a switch to let us join multiple covenants?
    "100%" is a little bit too much for something pulled completely out of one's ass.

  19. #19
    I think the wider issue with collecting/completing all 4 covenants is the sheer amount of anima required to do all activities.

  20. #20
    Quote Originally Posted by Squigglyo View Post
    Do achievement points from the previous covenant get dropped? Are they hidden but still count? Or the equivelant ones just unlocked like a Faction Transfer?
    I'm genuinely curious about this too. Don't plan on switching myself, but by this point there must be some people who have done the switch who had an achievement or two associated with one covenant before switching to another.

    Anyone reading this thread know what happens to the covenant achievements? Like the OP asked, are they hidden but still count? Do they treat them like faction-related achievements? Or does it display both sets of covenant achievements if you switch?

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •