18 18.00%
  • No - Centrist

13 13.00%
  • Yes - Other Party/None

8 8.00%
  • No - Other Party/None

16 16.00%
Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst ...
    No because there are too many innocent people caught up in the current system. The entire world spends way too much money keeping the worst offenders alive and locked up. Pedophiles(even the ones who haven't physically harmed a child), child killers, serial rapists, etc all deserve death....but only if the system could be better and the evidence concrete.

Liberal and Yes, but not in it's current state we have way way way too many innocent people caught up in the system from all kinds of forms of discrimination in the department of justice and society as a whole if it were fool proof then yes, otherwise NO!
    #ANTIFA "Intellect alone is useless in a fight...you can't even break a rule, how can you be expected to break bone" Khan Singh

No.

I consider myself liberal. I used to be for the death penalty a few years back, but more and more I've been reading books in Philosophy, Ethics, History, Sociology, Anthropology, Psychology and my views have changed.

A core book was "What is a Person" by Christian Smith. Also been reading more about personhood and human dignity.

What I do find interesting is that i'm "pro" abortion (pro choice) and this contradicts a lot of the views I mentioned. I'm trying to solve this cognitive dissonance and will probably transition to a more "pro life" stance.

Topics like these, related to death, fascinate me. Death penalty, abortion, suicide, euthanasia/palliative care. I'm actually considering on pursuing a Masters in Bioethics after I finish my PhD and training as a Psychiatrist. I'll probably focus on suicide, but the other topics are just as interesting.

Quote Originally Posted by PC2 View Post
    Violating a person's consent and exposing them to harm is immoral though. A criminal is still a human being.

Our goal should be to help every person and when we arrest a mass murderer we're actually helping them because it's just a matter of time before they mess up and get killed by the one of the people they're trying to murder.
    Nah not like that. Life in prison or they are given an option to redeem themselves. It would be voluntary.

No. Mainly because I view the Death Penalty as "legalized murder". I find it reprehensible that we can legally find an excuse to put someone to death because they did a bad.

Then there's the whole "justice system isn't perfect so an innocent man could be sentenced to death" thing.

Also it seems to be very costly to put someone to death. Through extra security, appeals, and method it seems to cost more money than if they just were sentenced to life in prison with no possibility of parole.

Quote Originally Posted by Amarys View Post
    Nah not like that. Life in prison or they are given an option to redeem themselves. It would be voluntary.
    Oh then that's a great idea but I think prisoners and people on death row already can volunteer to be a part of human experiments. If experiments don't happen then it's usually because society and the government haven't decided that it's ethical and legal yet.
    Optimism! (HumanProgress.org)

I dont because they can just keep appealing for 30 years and cost taxpayers millions of dollars in legal costs.

If experiments don't happen then it's usually because society and the government haven't decided that it's ethical and legal yet.
    They've decided that shit long ago. But being that's history...I realize you neither would consider that relevant or think that it's still a question.

Quote Originally Posted by Shadowferal View Post
    They've decided that shit long ago. But being that's history...I realize you neither would consider that relevant or think that it's still a question.
    History doesn't determine the future though. Just because something was decided in the past that doesn't mean it will remain unchanged forever into the future. Society could discover something new which causes it to change its mind on a topic.

Quote Originally Posted by Doctor Amadeus View Post
    Liberal and Yes, but not in it's current state we have way way way too many innocent people caught up in the system from all kinds of forms of discrimination in the department of justice and society as a whole if it were fool proof then yes, otherwise NO!
    You're not really a liberal if you support capital punishment.

Quote Originally Posted by Kerplank View Post
    You're not really a liberal if you support capital punishment.
    Yeah I think liberals are suppose to believe in the equality of all people and equal rights, such as the right to be alive and not be killed. If a person thinks another person should be killed then obviously they don't truly believe that person is equal to themselves and everybody else.
    Last edited by PC2; 2021-02-08 at 05:24 AM.

Yeah I think liberals are suppose to believe in the equality of all people and equal rights, such as the right to be alive and not be killed. If a person thinks another person should be killed then obviously they don't truly believe that person is equal to everybody else.
    lol... liberals believe in equally screwing over everyone who is not rich...

From a societal standpoint, I want to believe everyone deserves a second chance (even if permanently incarcerated). Death is final and dead men learn no lessons. Killing a killer is just stooping to their level, etc. Then there's the issue of innocent men being killed. It seems like something only a barbaric society would embrace and we should be more civil than that.

But then I think about how I would react if someone killed my partner in a horrible and heinous way. I don't know exactly how I'd react but the vengeful side of me would want that person eradicated forever, even though it wouldn't bring her back and my wounds would never heal. Maybe it's just a horrible side of myself speaking, but I would settle for nothing less than death for that person even if I had to do it myself. Perhaps that reaction is specifically why that sort of thing isn't left to the individual anymore and left to society as a whole. Emotion and justice should be kept separate.

The dude saying you can't be democrat AND support the death sentence? C'mon, if democrats refused to have a variance of opinion and all had to adhere to a single hivemind, might as well just be republicans.