Page 2 of 9 FirstFirst
... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by gaymer77 View Post
    So doing the Maw intro quest for a 4th time now I noticed something rather interesting. When you see other people with the various NPCs the "Stormwind Paladin" is actually Anduin and the "Frostwolf warrior" guy is Thrall and the Kirin Tor chick is Jaina. So even though Anduin is cannonically a priest, he's listed as a paladin there. Another thing I find strange is the fact that Thrall, a well established shaman, has TAUNT and acts as a tank in the scenario.
    It's because they're none of those things really (as lore characters do not follow the class restrictions and options afforded to layers), but they have to be referred to in a way so that people know what to expect.

As such Anduin is referred to as a paladin when he acts as a paladin, and Thrall is a warrior when he acts as a warrior.

Keep in mind that the primary reason my warlock cannot also simply pick up a sword, shield, armor and act like a prot. warrior is purely gameplay reasoning; there's no reason why one could not be trained in both ways of combat.
    This is a signature of an ailing giant, boundless in pride, wit and strength.
    Yet also as humble as health and humor permit.

Furthermore, I consider that Carthage Slam must be destroyed.

Anduin is a Paladin. He may be other things as well, but a Paladin for sure.

Paladins are Priests who picked up plate armour and strode to battle. Now, he committed himself to an order or institution, but as we’ve seen in-game, you don’t need to belong to the Silver Hand to be a Paladin anymore.

Yes, he is a Paladin. Yes, he is a Priest. Blizzard can do and say he is whatever, but they don’t have to commit to any lore consistency (as they’ve shown) and can choose to apply it as they see fit.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Goradan View Post
    Turalyon and Uther were once priests.
    They were *once* priests, but Anduin *IS* a Priest still, as has been confirmed by Blizzard. He's a priest until they say otherwise.

Quote Originally Posted by tetrisGOAT View Post
    Anduin is a Paladin. He may be other things as well, but a Paladin for sure.

Paladins are Priests who picked up plate armour and strode to battle.
    That's not how that works...
    Hariuha laþu laukar gakar alu ole lule laukar

15+ Year Old Account
    Lore characters don't need to adhere to any particular class, and often change classes or multiclass.

Thrall was raised as a gladiator, became a shaman, and has now returned to his warrior roots.

Anduin was trained as a priest, but as he has grown into adulthood has adopted wearing plate armor and wielding a sword, which means he's effectively a paladin. The first paladins were clerics who took up the arms and armor of knights after the First War.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Kathranis View Post
    Lore characters don't need to adhere to any particular class, and often change classes or multiclass.

Thrall was raised as a gladiator, became a shaman, and has now returned to his warrior roots.

Anduin was trained as a priest, but as he has grown, has adopted wearing plate armor and wielding a sword, which means he's effectively a paladin. The first paladins were clerics who took up the arms and armor of knights after the First War.
    Not all of them. Gavinrad was a Knight from Stormwind. Some were priests and then trained as Warriors together with their Holy abilities, while the ones with a Knigthood background did the opposite.
    Hariuha laþu laukar gakar alu ole lule laukar

15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Nordheim View Post
    Not all of them. Gavinrad was a Knight from Stormwind. Some were priests and then trained as Warriors together with their Holy abilities, while the ones with a Knigthood background did the opposite.
    Point is, he's still following that same path. Whether or not he joins an order or identifies as a paladin, he's effectively a paladin in addition to being a priest.

You can argue that he's "not officially a paladin" but it's just not a useful distinction to make at present, except perhaps to note that he can still succumb to the Void as a shadow priest might. So his devotion to the Light is perhaps not as rigid as a paladin's.
    Last edited by Kathranis; 2020-12-12 at 08:51 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Kathranis View Post
    Point is, he's still following that same path. Whether or not he joins an order or identifies as a paladin, he's effectively a paladin in addition to being a priest.

You can argue that he's "not officially a paladin" but it's just not a useful distinction to make at present, except perhaps to note that he can still succumb to the Void as a shadow priest might. So his devotion to the Light is perhaps not as rigid as a paladin's.
    Void knight when?
    This is a signature of an ailing giant, boundless in pride, wit and strength.
    Yet also as humble as health and humor permit.

Furthermore, I consider that Carthage Slam must be destroyed.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by loras View Post
    Void knight when?
    Void elves (race) is already a thing, so I wonder which races would get access to void knights? There are 4 races that don't have priests, so I can't see them taking the same path as 'wielder of shadows that puts on plate/shield' as paladins did with the light.

Side thought: We have Deathknights, shadow priests, warlocks, demon hunters running around already. Do we need a 5th "I'm edgy and/or dabble in the forbidden arts!" type class running around?
    My youtube channels: Sath Reacts: TV & Movie Reactions, and Sath Animations: Stop motion/claymation animations

the only reason he is still not a paladin is that he is not manly enough

The Unstoppable Force
    15+ Year Old Account
    Where Thrall and the Horde needs me to be
    So doing the Maw intro quest for a 4th time now I noticed something rather interesting. When you see other people with the various NPCs the "Stormwind Paladin" is actually Anduin and the "Frostwolf warrior" guy is Thrall and the Kirin Tor chick is Jaina. So even though Anduin is cannonically a priest, he's listed as a paladin there. Another thing I find strange is the fact that Thrall, a well established shaman, has TAUNT and acts as a tank in the scenario.
    Not only does Thrall have taunt, he also has whirlwind, avatar and shockwave. He is, for all intents and purposes, a warrior right now. It's no doubt part of the whole "oh no, woe is me for the elements have abandoned me!" story arc he began back in WoD, which is odd, since he did use a lot of shamanistic magic during the Broken Shore scenario, but seems to have forgotten it yet again, perhaps due to loosing the Doomhammer.

Amazing sig, done by mighty Lokann

Anduin is practically a paladin even if Blizzard says he's a priest. Even if you factor in shadow magic, or shields like from discipline priests, he'd still be resembling a paladin much more than anything else, so he's a paladin who can also use some shadow magic and some discipline priest shields.

Thrall could be a warrior now, if he doesn't call on the elements anymore, but that's just them ruining the character even further.

Also when you find a weapon for him in the maw, he uses the crossbow like an axe. Jesus, Thrall.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by kaminaris View Post
    Nah, anduin is a priest, he solely uses priest magic and the only thing he can do with his sword is basically auto attack. The same way you could do on your priest if armor restrictions were lifted.
    And those armor restrictions are there, because priests don't wear plate armor. When priests start wearing plate armor that is when they become paladins.

Lore characters are not bound to the same class restrictions that we are. Otherwise Thrall would not be wearing plate. Even as far back as the RPG they'd have multiple classes. They always give generic names to npcs when they're following you around. Not surprised at all to see Frostwolf Warrior or Stormwind Paladin for Thrall and Anduin.
    The most difficult thing to do is accept that there is nothing wrong with things you don't like and accept that people can like things you don't.

15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Goradan View Post
    Anduin is a holy paladin as much as people like to claim otherwise, just look at him, sword, decked in armor, uses the light more-so as a caster than a melee bruiser like his father.

Yeah, Anduin is a Paladin.
    He is a disc priest if you look at the actual spells he uses. He uses barrier, mind control, smite, and other priest spells. His "paladin" examples are just the fact he runs around in plate armor and carries a sword that if I'm remembering correctly has ties to his family.

Quote Originally Posted by nizara View Post
    Anduin is practically a paladin even if Blizzard says he's a priest. Even if you factor in shadow magic, or shields like from discipline priests, he'd still be resembling a paladin much more than anything else, so he's a paladin who can also use some shadow magic and some discipline priest shields.
    That's just the thing though. Blizzard is who defines the lore for the game not the fans. Blizzard has stated on numerous occasions that Anduin is a priest not a paladin.

And those armor restrictions are there, because priests don't wear plate armor. When priests start wearing plate armor that is when they become paladins.
    Not true at all. Paladins don't use shadow magic at all...ever. Even their turn evil spell is a holy magic spell not a shadow magic spell. Seal of Blood (the seal that Blood Elves got in BC) did holy magic not shadow magic or physical damage.

Also when you find a weapon for him in the maw, he uses the crossbow like an axe. Jesus, Thrall.
    Dear lord the second time I did that part of the quest I was hoping that I could find the "right" weapon the first time so I went to where my priest found it and nope still had to progress through all 5 of them. Did it again on my lock and sure as shit same thing. I seriously hate the Goldilocks part of that questline.

3+ Year Old Account
    I mean Paladin is literally Priest + Warrior just as how Demon Hunters are Rogues + Warlocks
    The Alliance gets the Horde's most popular race. The Horde should get the Alliance's most popular race in return. Alteraci Humans for the Horde!

I make Warcraft 3 Reforged HD custom models and I'm also an HD model reviewer.

The maw thing is just for imersion reasons as to not see everyone with their personal thrall,calling the npc that is with you warrior therefore becomes irelevant

and as the what class is X lore character,they dont follow the same rigid rules players do because of obvious gameplay reasons...

anduin for example uses priest magic,shadow magic and is clearly waring plate and uses a sword,so hes tehnicaly not any one specific class instead he uses different types of magic,in his case more often atributed to a priest

Canonically, paladins were originally drawn from both priests and particularly devout warriors. Anduin being a paladin makes sense, we also don’t know if he’s been receiving behind the scenes training. At least he isn’t crying anymore.
    Thrall was trained a warrior first and foremost, he was a warrior long before he became a shaman.

15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by General Zanjin View Post
    anduin is a priest.
    Paladins are LITERALLY Priests trained to use weapons in combat. The Original Paladins were either Priests from Northshire Abbey taught how to fight or warriors who had a connection with the Light. As far as humans are concerned anyway.

Storywise nothing is stopping them from donning plate armour. They'll probably run out of stamina pretty quickly and won't be terribly useful if they aren't used to it, but there's no story reasons they can't put it on. That's purely game mechanics. It won't make them Paladins, though, that requires some more training and an oath.

Anduin wields the Light like a Priest does, not like a Paladin. And he wields the sword like somebody who really shouldn't be on the frontlines.

Quote Originally Posted by Krothar View Post
    Paladins are LITERALLY Priests trained to use weapons in combat. The Original Paladins were either Priests from Northshire Abbey taught how to fight or warriors who had a connection with the Light. As far as humans are concerned anyway.
    And Anduin didn't receive any training to wield weapons, he is just a priest with plate armor and sword.

Quote Originally Posted by Derpules View Post
    In the BfA cinematic he did a little more than auto attack when that troll jumped towards him...
    He literally swings his sword then uses power word barrier and mass ressurection... priest moves.
    He's a priest with special benefits. He's the king of stormwind... a leader of armies. He's going to wear plate regardless just as his father did. The sword is his father's weapon which he is learning to wield.

In game all his moves are priest orientated. Him having plate armor and wielding a sword doesn't make him a paladin. Priests can mainhand swords too, he just uses his more than players do because of gameplay reasons.
    It's like a priest wielding the stormwind transmog armor or something. Cloth is only an ingame thing.
    Last edited by Elise the Seeker; 2020-12-12 at 03:34 PM.
    My name is what makes me so manly.