Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst
... LastLast
    Making the Watchmen TV show about wokeness and "white man bad, black man good" propaganda.

Whenever I was surfing channels and HBO came up and Watchmen was on, I just rolled my eyes and changed the channel. No wonder the show was ended after just one season.

Discussing forbidden topics is against the rules. Infracted.
    Last edited by Faltemer; 2020-12-14 at 07:14 PM.
    "When you tear out a man's tongue, you are not proving him a liar, you're only telling the world that you fear what he might say."
    George R.R. Martin

The last couple of GoT seasons take the top spot.

Every decision in the last few years to make a tvshow in an existing universe.
    Fandom got so entitled, that everything not 100% fitting their expactations and narrativ is garbage.

Just let star trek and star wars die and make soemthing new. Then the whole "we are the fans" dies.

Quote Originally Posted by VinceVega View Post
    Every decision in the last few years to make a tvshow in an existing universe.
    Fandom got so entitled, that everything not 100% fitting their expactations and narrativ is garbage.

Just let star trek and star wars die and make soemthing new. Then the whole "we are the fans" dies.
    Hollywood is creatively bankrupt. They can't come up with anything comparable to SW and ST, and they don't even want to take the risks of spending a shitload of money on AAA show/series only for it to flop because people don't like it, ESPECIALLY given how divided the audience is these days between traditional values and protagonists AND feminist/woke values and the politics and preaching that come with these and which only appeal to a minority audience but producers think it's the way to go because their only contact with the audiences is through Twitter and that platform is severely leaning towards Leftist values. Hence the stream of woke shows that go straight into the sewer: Ghostbusters 2016, Ocean's 8, Suicide Squad, even Tenet which was supposed to be great but had mediocre earnings.

So until movie makers are certain that a show will be accepted by all, they'd rather not risk a lot of money, and they prefer to parasite old franchises that were successful prior to 2015.

And they refuse to remove the wokeness because an un-woke show is going to be blasted on social media to hell and back, which will make movie critics score it very low, which in turn will make movie awards ignore it. So movie producers would rather lose money but win awards, rather than the opposite.
    Last edited by The Butt Witch; 2020-12-14 at 11:25 AM.
    "When you tear out a man's tongue, you are not proving him a liar, you're only telling the world that you fear what he might say."
    George R.R. Martin

While obviously the ending of GoT and to a lesser degree himym were - lets call it - dissappointing I think the cup for worst turn of events ever in a TV series was having Dexter end as lumberjack. There is no connection to the story, it was completely unfitting and absolutely 100% random and does not give closure in any way (to the show or the character).

I think the writers struggle in the last decade to write endings that have not been fantasized by the fandom years before, and try hard to come up with new and unforeseen endings. But shows don't need to be unpredictable to be successful, as you can see very well for example in "The Mandalorian", which has a repetetive and predictable pattern, but yet is fun to watch.

Quote Originally Posted by The Butt Witch View Post
    Making the Watchmen TV show about wokeness and "white man bad, black man good" propaganda.

Whenever I was surfing channels and HBO came up and Watchmen was on, I just rolled my eyes and changed the channel. No wonder the show was ended after just one season.
    It ended after just 1 season because creator Damon Lindelof is not interested in doing a season 2, saying that because he was able to tell the story he intended to with Season 1, he "has no interest in a second season." .

And “HBO programming chief Casey Bloys said HBO is only interested in another installment if creator Damon Lindelof is too”.
    Fairy tales are more than true – not because they tell us dragons exist, but because they tell us dragons can be beaten. -G. K. Chesterton & Neil Gaiman
    Twitter | DeviantArt | Twitch

Hollywood is creatively bankrupt. They can't come up with anything comparable to SW and ST, and they don't even want to take the risks of spending a shitload of money on AAA show/series only for it to flop because people don't like it, ESPECIALLY given how divided the audience is these days between traditional values and protagonists AND feminist/woke values and the politics and preaching that come with these and which only appeal to a minority audience but producers think it's the way to go because their only contact with the audiences is through Twitter and that platform is severely leaning towards Leftist values. Hence the stream of woke shows that go straight into the sewer: Ghostbusters 2016, Ocean's 8, Suicide Squad, even Tenet which was supposed to be great but had mediocre earnings.

So until movie makers are certain that a show will be accepted by all, they'd rather not risk a lot of money, and they prefer to parasite old franchises that were successful prior to 2015.

And they refuse to remove the wokeness because an un-woke show is going to be blasted on social media to hell and back, which will make movie critics score it very low, which in turn will make movie awards ignore it. So movie producers would rather lose money but win awards, rather than the opposite.
    Edit: Deleted the post. Don't want to engange again in a discussion about "traditional" values... same thing every time
    Last edited by VinceVega; 2020-12-14 at 11:59 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Eldar45 View Post
    She mostly behaved harshly as a ruler in a very harsh world. Her going from mercilessly killing a few political enemies and traitors to literally murdering half a city was a huge jump.
    She was always one step from madness, they mentioned it dozens of times during the show and the books.

Quote Originally Posted by Winter Blossom View Post
    It ended after just 1 season because creator Damon Lindelof is not interested in doing a season 2, saying that because he was able to tell the story he intended to with Season 1, he "has no interest in a second season." .

And “HBO programming chief Casey Bloys said HBO is only interested in another installment if creator Damon Lindelof is too”.
    YEAAAAAH RIIIIIIIIIGHT!

A regular PR response allowing them to save face and bow out gracefully instead of admitting their show went in the wrong direction.
    Like someone breaking up with their gf saying "It's not you, it's me" when it's totally them.

If the show was liked and making money, the company would have ORDERED it to continue at any costs.
    George R.R. Martin

YEAAAAAH RIIIIIIIIIGHT!

A regular PR response allowing them to save face and bow out gracefully instead of admitting their show went in the wrong direction.
    Like someone breaking up with their gf saying "It's not you, it's me" when it's totally them.

If the show was liked and making money, the company would have ORDERED it to continue at any costs.
    Uh, not necessarily. The show was a success and had high reviews—it didn’t go in the wrong direction. And personally, never once when I watched the show did I share the same opinions as you.

- - - Updated - - -
    @The Butt Witch, here’s an update:

While HBO had not yet confirmed a second season following the show's broadcast, Lindelof stated that if there were, he would not likely be back for it, but instead have another producer step forward to tell another story set in this universe. Lindelof said he felt that the show was "not my story" and that "These nine episodes are sort of everything that I have to say at this point about Watchmen". Lindelof created the first season to be a complete story, in the same manner that each season of Fargo and True Detective were each self-contained stories. Following the broadcast of the season one finale, Lindelof still said that the story he told during the season was everything he could put forward about Watchmen, with a definitive beginning, middle, and end. However, he agreed with HBO that Watchmen should be treated as a continuing series, and did not rule out returning, but would want to have time to develop a similar complete story before committing.

By January 2020, Lindelof stated he had passed on a second season but gave his blessing to anyone that followed him as showrunner. HBO's programming chief Casey Bloys stated with regards to a second season that "It would be hard to imagine doing it without Damon involved in some way", while not altogether dismissing the possibility of the concept of one. Due to this, HBO reclassified Watchmen as a limited series in February 2020, with the potential for additional installments
    Fairy tales are more than true – not because they tell us dragons exist, but because they tell us dragons can be beaten. -G. K. Chesterton & Neil Gaiman

Quote Originally Posted by Winter Blossom View Post
    Uh, not necessarily. The show was a success and had high reviews—it didn’t go in the wrong direction. And personally, never once when I watched the show did I share the same opinions as you.
    As if any critic would DARE not give it high reviews and run the risk of being labeled a racist or misogynist or whatever. And about the actual..."success" we only have HBO's word for it.

And yes, more PR statements so they don't say "No, there won't be a second season because the show didn't meet our expectations".
    Last edited by The Butt Witch; 2020-12-14 at 01:00 PM.
    George R.R. Martin

Trying to adapt The Dark Tower into a single movie and for some reason not just adapting the first book. Man, that entire movie was a giant mess. Only solid points were the casting of both Roland and The Man in Black.

Lol. Why is it that whenever I see someone use the phrases "woke" or "SJW" is a non-ironic way, it will be immediately followed by a completely idiotic statement? "This series I didn't watch was a complete disaster" Ok dude.

As if any critic would DARE not give it high reviews and run the risk of being labeled a racist or misogynist or whatever. And about the actual..."success" we only have HBO's word for it.

And yes, more PR statements so they don't say "No, there won't be a second season because the show didn't meet our expectations".
    You have your opinion on why you think it won’t be renewed, etc. We’ll have to agree to disagree.

Quote Originally Posted by Athredas View Post
    Supernatural going for more than 5 seasons
    )
    lmao yes! I completely lost track around that point. It was cool when it was like random supernatural things, some devil worshipers, but geez, that show went waaaay down the rabbit hole.
    I 3d print stuff

Quote Originally Posted by Skizzit View Post
    Trying to adapt The Dark Tower into a single movie and for some reason not just adapting the first book. Man, that entire movie was a giant mess. Only solid points were the casting of both Roland and The Man in Black.

Lol. Why is it that whenever I see someone use the phrases "woke" or "SJW" is a non-ironic way, it will be immediately followed by a completely idiotic statement? "This series I didn't watch was a complete disaster" Ok dude.
    I like this quote the most

"Yet eight episodes into “Watchmen,” I’m still scratching my head, trying to figure out what exactly this series is about. Vigilante justice meets institutionalized racism meets time travel meets a blue god and the end of the world? It evokes brutal truths, like the 1921 Tulsa race massacre, lynching and police brutality. It makes the obvious point that America has a really ugly past, and it’s not really the past because history keeps repeating itself. But then the heavy subject matter is mixed with outlandish subplots, so it feels like it’s dropped in for effect. Overall, it seems irresponsible and exploitative."

https://www.latimes.com/entertainmen...f-lost-critics
    George R.R. Martin

I like this quote the most

"Yet eight episodes into “Watchmen,” I’m still scratching my head, trying to figure out what exactly this series is about. Vigilante justice meets institutionalized racism meets time travel meets a blue god and the end of the world? It evokes brutal truths, like the 1921 Tulsa race massacre, lynching and police brutality. It makes the obvious point that America has a really ugly past, and it’s not really the past because history keeps repeating itself. But then the heavy subject matter is mixed with outlandish subplots, so it feels like it’s dropped in for effect. Overall, it seems irresponsible and exploitative."

https://www.latimes.com/entertainmen...f-lost-critics
    OK? So that critic didn't like it? How does that invalidate my statement that you claimed making the series about racism a terrible decision when you have not actually watched the series yourself? Or do you always just let other people tell you your opinions for you?

YEAAAAAH RIIIIIIIIIGHT!

Tell that to the terrible S8 of GoT and S9 that doesn't exist.

Quote Originally Posted by Captain Proton View Post
    Tell that to the terrible S8 of GoT and S9 that doesn't exist.
    HBO chose to end the series because it had reached the end of Martin's written work. From there on, there were no more books to adapt, and Martin wasn't going to abandon his book and dedicate entirely to writing the screenplay for S9 and beyond while also spoiling his book while at it, assuming he was going to continue writing it.

GoT has ended but there are prequels in the works.
    George R.R. Martin

HBO chose to end the series because it had reached the end of Martin's written work. From there on, there were no more books to adapt, and Martin wasn't going to abandon his book and dedicate entirely to writing the screenplay for S9 and beyond while also spoiling his book while at it, assuming he was going to continue writing it.

GoT has ended but there are prequels in the works.
    GoT surpassed the books after season 5. The show ended because D&D wanted it to, saying they were going to be involved in Star Wars. HBO wanted more seasons.

Quote Originally Posted by Ragnarohk View Post
    She started acting like a psychopath since like season 3. I don't know how people didn't see that coming.
    Kind of hard to see coming something that wasn't happening. Losing trust, for example, isn't the same as going psycho without proper reasoning or explanation.
    *Insert every single ridiculous PC parts detail here that no one cares about*