Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst
... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by VinceVega View Post
    Every decision in the last few years to make a tvshow in an existing universe.
    Fandom got so entitled, that everything not 100% fitting their expactations and narrativ is garbage.

Just let star trek and star wars die and make soemthing new. Then the whole "we are the fans" dies.
    Hollywood is creatively bankrupt. They can't come up with anything comparable to SW and ST, and they don't even want to take the risks of spending a shitload of money on AAA show/series only for it to flop because people don't like it, ESPECIALLY given how divided the audience is these days between traditional values and protagonists AND feminist/woke values and the politics and preaching that come with these and which only appeal to a minority audience but producers think it's the way to go because their only contact with the audiences is through Twitter and that platform is severely leaning towards Leftist values. Hence the stream of woke shows that go straight into the sewer: Ghostbusters 2016, Ocean's 8, Suicide Squad, even Tenet which was supposed to be great but had mediocre earnings.

So until movie makers are certain that a show will be accepted by all, they'd rather not risk a lot of money, and they prefer to parasite old franchises that were successful prior to 2015.

And they refuse to remove the wokeness because an un-woke show is going to be blasted on social media to hell and back, which will make movie critics score it very low, which in turn will make movie awards ignore it. So movie producers would rather lose money but win awards, rather than the opposite.
    Last edited by The Butt Witch; 2020-12-14 at 11:25 AM.

While obviously the ending of GoT and to a lesser degree himym were - lets call it - dissappointing I think the cup for worst turn of events ever in a TV series was having Dexter end as lumberjack. There is no connection to the story, it was completely unfitting and absolutely 100% random and does not give closure in any way (to the show or the character).

I think the writers struggle in the last decade to write endings that have not been fantasized by the fandom years before, and try hard to come up with new and unforeseen endings. But shows don't need to be unpredictable to be successful, as you can see very well for example in "The Mandalorian", which has a repetetive and predictable pattern, but yet is fun to watch.

Quote Originally Posted by The Butt Witch View Post
    Hollywood is creatively bankrupt. They can't come up with anything comparable to SW and ST, and they don't even want to take the risks of spending a shitload of money on AAA show/series only for it to flop because people don't like it, ESPECIALLY given how divided the audience is these days between traditional values and protagonists AND feminist/woke values and the politics and preaching that come with these and which only appeal to a minority audience but producers think it's the way to go because their only contact with the audiences is through Twitter and that platform is severely leaning towards Leftist values. Hence the stream of woke shows that go straight into the sewer: Ghostbusters 2016, Ocean's 8, Suicide Squad, even Tenet which was supposed to be great but had mediocre earnings.

So until movie makers are certain that a show will be accepted by all, they'd rather not risk a lot of money, and they prefer to parasite old franchises that were successful prior to 2015.

And they refuse to remove the wokeness because an un-woke show is going to be blasted on social media to hell and back, which will make movie critics score it very low, which in turn will make movie awards ignore it. So movie producers would rather lose money but win awards, rather than the opposite.
    Edit: Deleted the post. Don't want to engange again in a discussion about "traditional" values... same thing every time
    Last edited by VinceVega; 2020-12-14 at 11:59 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Eldar45 View Post
    She mostly behaved harshly as a ruler in a very harsh world. Her going from mercilessly killing a few political enemies and traitors to literally murdering half a city was a huge jump.
    She was always one step from madness, they mentioned it dozens of times during the show and the books.

Quote Originally Posted by Winter Blossom View Post
    It ended after just 1 season because creator Damon Lindelof is not interested in doing a season 2, saying that because he was able to tell the story he intended to with Season 1, he "has no interest in a second season." .

And “HBO programming chief Casey Bloys said HBO is only interested in another installment if creator Damon Lindelof is too”.
    YEAAAAAH RIIIIIIIIIGHT!

A regular PR response allowing them to save face and bow out gracefully instead of admitting their show went in the wrong direction.
    Like someone breaking up with their gf saying "It's not you, it's me" when it's totally them.

If the show was liked and making money, the company would have ORDERED it to continue at any costs.

Uh, not necessarily. The show was a success and had high reviews—it didn’t go in the wrong direction. And personally, never once when I watched the show did I share the same opinions as you.
    As if any critic would DARE not give it high reviews and run the risk of being labeled a racist or misogynist or whatever. And about the actual..."success" we only have HBO's word for it.

And yes, more PR statements so they don't say "No, there won't be a second season because the show didn't meet our expectations".
    Last edited by The Butt Witch; 2020-12-14 at 01:00 PM.

10+ Year Old Account
    Trying to adapt The Dark Tower into a single movie and for some reason not just adapting the first book. Man, that entire movie was a giant mess. Only solid points were the casting of both Roland and The Man in Black.

Making the Watchmen TV show about wokeness and "white man bad, black man good" propaganda.

Whenever I was surfing channels and HBO came up and Watchmen was on, I just rolled my eyes and changed the channel. No wonder the show was ended after just one season.
    Lol. Why is it that whenever I see someone use the phrases "woke" or "SJW" is a non-ironic way, it will be immediately followed by a completely idiotic statement? "This series I didn't watch was a complete disaster" Ok dude.

Stood in the Fire
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Athredas View Post
    Supernatural going for more than 5 seasons
    )
    lmao yes! I completely lost track around that point. It was cool when it was like random supernatural things, some devil worshipers, but geez, that show went waaaay down the rabbit hole.
    I 3d print stuff

Quote Originally Posted by Skizzit View Post
    Trying to adapt The Dark Tower into a single movie and for some reason not just adapting the first book. Man, that entire movie was a giant mess. Only solid points were the casting of both Roland and The Man in Black.

Lol. Why is it that whenever I see someone use the phrases "woke" or "SJW" is a non-ironic way, it will be immediately followed by a completely idiotic statement? "This series I didn't watch was a complete disaster" Ok dude.
    I like this quote the most

"Yet eight episodes into “Watchmen,” I’m still scratching my head, trying to figure out what exactly this series is about. Vigilante justice meets institutionalized racism meets time travel meets a blue god and the end of the world? It evokes brutal truths, like the 1921 Tulsa race massacre, lynching and police brutality. It makes the obvious point that America has a really ugly past, and it’s not really the past because history keeps repeating itself. But then the heavy subject matter is mixed with outlandish subplots, so it feels like it’s dropped in for effect. Overall, it seems irresponsible and exploitative."

https://www.latimes.com/entertainmen...f-lost-critics

10+ Year Old Account
    I like this quote the most

"Yet eight episodes into “Watchmen,” I’m still scratching my head, trying to figure out what exactly this series is about. Vigilante justice meets institutionalized racism meets time travel meets a blue god and the end of the world? It evokes brutal truths, like the 1921 Tulsa race massacre, lynching and police brutality. It makes the obvious point that America has a really ugly past, and it’s not really the past because history keeps repeating itself. But then the heavy subject matter is mixed with outlandish subplots, so it feels like it’s dropped in for effect. Overall, it seems irresponsible and exploitative."

https://www.latimes.com/entertainmen...f-lost-critics
    OK? So that critic didn't like it? How does that invalidate my statement that you claimed making the series about racism a terrible decision when you have not actually watched the series yourself? Or do you always just let other people tell you your opinions for you?

YEAAAAAH RIIIIIIIIIGHT!

A regular PR response allowing them to save face and bow out gracefully instead of admitting their show went in the wrong direction.
    Like someone breaking up with their gf saying "It's not you, it's me" when it's totally them.

If the show was liked and making money, the company would have ORDERED it to continue at any costs.
    Tell that to the terrible S8 of GoT and S9 that doesn't exist.

Quote Originally Posted by Captain Proton View Post
    Tell that to the terrible S8 of GoT and S9 that doesn't exist.
    HBO chose to end the series because it had reached the end of Martin's written work. From there on, there were no more books to adapt, and Martin wasn't going to abandon his book and dedicate entirely to writing the screenplay for S9 and beyond while also spoiling his book while at it, assuming he was going to continue writing it.

GoT has ended but there are prequels in the works.

Quote Originally Posted by Ragnarohk View Post
    She started acting like a psychopath since like season 3. I don't know how people didn't see that coming.
    Kind of hard to see coming something that wasn't happening. Losing trust, for example, isn't the same as going psycho without proper reasoning or explanation.
    *Insert every single ridiculous PC parts detail here that no one cares about*

YEAAAAAH RIIIIIIIIIGHT!

Give actual evidence that refutes the statement from HBO.

10+ Year Old Account
    HBO chose to end the series because it had reached the end of Martin's written work. From there on, there were no more books to adapt, and Martin wasn't going to abandon his book and dedicate entirely to writing the screenplay for S9 and beyond while also spoiling his book while at it, assuming he was going to continue writing it.

GoT has ended but there are prequels in the works.
    Hey, I just gotta know. What's it feel like to be completely wrong about everything?

Giving any creative control over GoT to Dipshit and Dumbfuck. I don't know how they managed to land those jobs in the first place, because recently I watched a video on them that showed they had piss-poor credentials prior to GoT, but whatever. When they were following the book material at least they weren't actively ruining things. But from season four onward when they were running out of book material things went sideways fast. What they did to Dorne just because they had no idea for the story long term (due to lack of book material) in season 5 was already a travesty. And it only got worse in later seasons.

Combine that with their desire to rush things because they got bored of GoT and wanted to move to other projects that they could get because of the GoT fame (first some show about the US Civil War, then Star Wars), with HBO doing nothing about it (either letting them go or trying to keep them for a proper amount of seasons to milk that GoT money flow) and you got a complete train wreck that was the last two seasons.

Quote Originally Posted by Biomega View Post
    Deathnote - anything after L dies.

Dexter - the entire final season.

Star Wars - the Disney sequels.
    All very good picks. Not that there is such a thing as 8th season of Dexter or Death Note after L.

We all knew it was coming, but they rushed it. The build-up of her was going great... then they just suddenly decided that they didn’t have time for it anymore (or the show) and just had her go full-on crazy in like, 1 episode.
    Maybe to people excusing the execution of that crap Daenerys "kind of forgetting" about Euron constituted the build up to her craziness. Other than that I have no explanation.
    Quote Originally Posted by Kangodo View Post
    Does the CIA pay you for your bullshit or are you just bootlicking in your free time?
    Quote Originally Posted by Mirishka View Post
    I'm quite tired of people who dislike something/disagree with something while attacking/insulting anyone that disagrees. Its as if at some point, people forgot how opinions work.

Quote Originally Posted by durenas View Post
    Star Trek Voyager - Threshold

https://memory-alpha.fandom.com/wiki...hold_(episode)

the whole episode needs to be purged.
    Lol, that episode is great... though it may help if you take a drink every time someone does the exact wrong thing.
    Quote Originally Posted by Elim Garak View Post
    No fucking way. The worst idea since democracy.

Cancelling FireFly has to be one of the worst TV decisions ever made.
    Quote Originally Posted by Elim Garak View Post
    No fucking way. The worst idea since democracy.

Also, Netflix's Witcher. Holy hell, they fucked the story up so hard. Cavill's performance was great, but the story... The "best" thing is that the more important any given short story was to the relationship between Geralt and Ciri, i.e. the fucking cornerstone of the whole thing, the more botched it was. While the less important ones were treated in a more faithful manner.

Take the episode where Geralt was in Cintra during Duny's intrusion, for example. The slow cat and mouse game between Duny and Calante about his right to Pavetta, with twists like Calante ordering the midnight bells be sound earlier so that Duny would be forced to unmask himself before his face became normal to turn the people at the party against him was nowhere to be seen.

Instead the show rushed the whole thing from Duny's arrival to everyone merrily accepting his right in like five minutes. All because half of the episode was devoted to worthless, non-canon drivel about Yennefer and some no-name queen, to "deepen" her backstory (of apparently being a fuck-up, even though it goes against her characterization in the book where she's respected by other mages).

Thanks to that genius move the reveal that the Law of Surprise is actually about the promised person choosing the one to whom they were promised, rather than automatically belonging them just because of the promise, was nowhere to be seen either.

Then combine that with how the show also axed Geralt initially rejecting his right to Ciri when he visited Cintra when she was a few years old (because the show had to warp the chronology massively for some inane reason) because he wasn't sure if he even believed in fate, refused to take her again after he randomly found her in Brokilon even despite her wishes and only took her in after he stumbled upon her randomly again after the fall of Cintra, because he came to realize that fate or not, she's something more than that. All that characterization and strong emotional moments just got flushed down the drain.

But hey, at least we got all those extra scenes about Istredd. Even though his very character is fucking pointless without adapting the story in which Yennefer is forced to choose between him and Geralt and is unable to do so. Which is precisely what Netflix did as well. While already making Yennefer kinda cut her ties with him.

She should have had a steady decline into madness, like her father.

Ugh, thinking about it just pisses me off... GoT is like, the one show I won’t even rewatch because of this shit.
    Yeah, it was a farce. And it's not that I'm some fan of Dany bitter at not getting the ending I wanted. I'm saying it as someone who wanted Daenerys' story to go that way since I hate that character, as well as expected it due to reading the books (although the show cut out the bits about her being paranoid about the prophecy that she'll be betrayed three times).
    Last edited by Mehrunes; 2020-12-14 at 03:07 PM.
    Quote Originally Posted by Kangodo View Post
    Does the CIA pay you for your bullshit or are you just bootlicking in your free time?
    Quote Originally Posted by Mirishka View Post
    I'm quite tired of people who dislike something/disagree with something while attacking/insulting anyone that disagrees. Its as if at some point, people forgot how opinions work.