Page 1 of 6
... LastLast

What is the worst decision a TV show /Movie /book has made?

I would say moving Waterloo road to Scotland.

RWBY season 3 and onward

The show should have never promised to be a huge, shounen adventure series.

The appeal of the first two seasons was that it was fun, slice of life shenagains with wacky comedy that just happened to be set in a cool urban fantasy setting. People weren't judging the story for character arcs, or the plot progression, or trying to figure out what the relics were, or whatever. It was a fun fluffy junk food show and was good at it.

• Then season 3 happened, and it promised the world, and it couldn't live up to the expectations it had set for itself. It promised deep character arcs... but there were too many characters to properly explore for a seasonal 12 episode series in which episodes are 22 minutes long. Even when characters were thrown out, like Oobleck, Port, Glynda, Ironwood, Penny's Creators, Tai Yang, Neptune, the other hunter teams, and so on... there were STILL too many characters they couldn't juggle properly.
    • The worldbuilding was irrelevant fluff in season 1 and 2, but then in season 3 it became critical to the satisfaction of the story, but the worldbuilding was awfully presented before. It was never integrated itno the show, so much that the team had to create an entire separate series outside the main show to explain what was going on (and even the main show kept retconning the world). We know next to nothing about each kingdom. We didn't even know that Vale wasn't actually just a city state until the season 4 WoR, and that is egregious given that the first 3 season were set there!
    • Since Monty's death, the show hadn't been as enjoyable to watch per episode. In season 3, all of the fun of the first two seasons was removed, and the shounen adventure that was filled in to replace it was mediocre. The adventure story moves at a snail's pace. They spent an ENTIRE SEASON just sitting around inside a house doing nothing while the plot happened offscreen. When freaking One Piece has more plot progression in 36 episodes vs RWBY's 72 episodes at the end of season 6, you know you have a critical storytelling failure.

I have many more problems with what happened to the show after season 2, but I digress. Season 6 was the last straw and I really should have quit earlier.

Aldnoah Zero second cour

Where the second cour dropped the ball was in it's scope: whereas the first was a small scale story on the ground about a few characters with (relatively) small stakes, the story felt powerful and the conseqences dire. The second season then devolves into having the same small number of characters effectively deciding the fate of the world in 12 episodes whilst fighting in outer space. (The outer space battleground isn't inherently bad, but you see my point). This leads to the war feeling unrealistic given the grounded nature of the first season. Not to mention, the first episode of season 2 literally opens with a beach scene, completely negating the dire tone of the first. The immense sacrifices made in the first season are completely retconed, with all parties involved being reset. Saazbaum is simply evacuated to another castle with the same standing within the knights and the same amount of forces as before (and a repaired Discouria too), the Deucalion remains undamaged and operable despite having crashed at hundreds of miles per hour. Rather than having sacrificed hundreds of good troops and quality equipment to push back a single Versian castle (out of 37/38/39/ don't remember exactly how many), the Terran protagonists effectively get a free victory which not only pushes back the Versians, but they have somehow attained the upper hand in the fighting months later. The entire setup of the second season undermines the achievements of the first. This BEFORE we even get to the new season 2 content... I could make an entire post about that, but I digress.

What I would have done would be to continue the grounded, small scale war story. The first season was a struggle against a couple of counts and resulted in the destruction of a single landing castle (out of 37/38/39/whatever, there's dozens of them). The second season could have followed a campaign to liberate a country or peninsula.

Gundam 00

The first 14 episodes were great when it was about four guys with the entire world coming after them. It was a high stakes thriller and I watched every episode eager to find out how the various superpowers were going to try to capture the Gundams and how the heroes would escape. Then episode 15 introduced the three Gundam pilot antagonists and it lost all the stakes as they bailed out the heroes and the nations became irrelevant as the story turned into good hero gundams vs evil gundams and their alien worshipping cult.

Gundam Iron-Blooded Orphan season 2 ending

IBO S2 ending Rustal Elion needed more set up so that his triumph didn't feel sadistic. He needed some focus to convince the audience that his victory would still be a net positive for the world, and we needed to see more of the state of the world after his victory to cement that feeling. But as it stands now, it feels like Rustal paid lip service to changing Gallarhorn, but nothing actually changed and the good guys died for nothing.
    Last edited by Val the Moofia Boss; 2020-12-12 at 11:20 PM.

Everything involving Daenerys Targaryen and (to a lesser degree) the Night King in the last season.

Not accepting the money to make 2 more seasons, because everyone (including the writer who created the entire fucking franchise) knew that only 6 episodes were not enough to tell the ending.

I will let you figure out what show I am talking about.
    Last edited by Varodoc; 2020-12-12 at 11:09 PM.

10+ Year Old Account
    Broadly gestures to every videogame movie ever made that completely butchers the respective game's lore.
    A gun is like a parachute. If you need one, and don’t have one, you’ll probably never need one again.

Give GoT to Dumb & Dumber
    Supernatural going for more than 5 seasons
    Star Wars being sold to Disney (though they are kinda redeeming themselves with these new announcements)

Replacing Jerry O'Connell in the last season of Sliders, instead of just ending the series.

After reading about it last night, the entire 5th season of Falling Skies.

The Lost writers patting themselves on the back for all the mysteries, which either had lame answers, or the cop out "decide for yourself" BS.

Invasion being canceled.

Putting any scifi show on the Fox network.

TSR approving Jean Rabe to continue the Dragonlance saga. TSR also canceling the Dark Sun novels.

Quote Originally Posted by Varodoc View Post
    Everything involving Daenerys Targaryen and (to a lesser degree) the Night King in the last season.

Not accepting the money to make 2 more seasons, because everyone (including the writer who created the entire fucking franchise) knew that only 6 episodes were not enough to tell the ending.

I will let you figure out what show I am talking about.
    I mean I think the same conclusion with a little more expansion on her would have been reasonable. She was always shown to be a bit extreme. Her hatred of Cersei was a bit odd as well considering it was more of a Robert thing unless I'm forgetting something about it. Cersei seemed a little less concerned about her from what I could recall. I could be 100% wrong so feel free to remind me. But yeah the whole Night King was underwhelming. Maybe he didn't actually die but just shattered back somewhere to reform? That's a bit cliche though. Like the fact he led his way into there also when honestly anyone could have killed Brann why did he need to be there.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Athredas View Post
    Give GoT to Dumb & Dumber
    Supernatural going for more than 5 seasons
    Star Wars being sold to Disney (though they are kinda redeeming themselves with these new announcements)
    I mean did they? Mando might be their one saving grace atm. Rogue One was pretty good though and Erso is a good example of a good female protagonist but I'm not sure if that was disney or not. Their track record would mean that they could ruin a lot more while maybe a couple of them are good. Please don't let it be a certain Jedi not Jedi girl.

- - - Updated - - -

As for my own: Does Death Note and the original L count? To me everything went downhill from there.

That's a real contender, D&D crucified that franchise seemingly as a warning to anyone foolish enough to hire themselves.

Giving Rian Johnson the go ahead to do whatever he wanted gave us The Last Jedi.
    "The further a society drifts from the truth the more it will hate those who speak it" - George Orwell

X-Files, trying to replace Mulder and Scully with new characters.

Deathnote - anything after L dies.

Dexter - the entire final season.

Star Wars - the Disney sequels.

Foundation series - the stupid cosmic magic shit with Gaia.

I'm sure there's more, too.

Star Trek Voyager - Threshold

https://memory-alpha.fandom.com/wiki...hold_(episode)

the whole episode needs to be purged.

Making a female character lead which everyone likes, into a mother. Then it's all mother instinct from there, just a lioness protecting her offspring and can get away with anything.

i think a lot of movies and tv shows make a mistake letting the hero win.

I find a lot of them predicable and a bit boring because 90% of them end on a high note

Almost all choices they made in the Disney Star Wars universe, its to mutch to name but alot of youtube video's are made about this topic.
    But if i really have to name one then make Rey Palpatine steal the Skywalker name and end the Skywalker saga.

Making Dumb & Dumber the showrunners for Game of Thrones

(Walking Dead spoiler)Killing off Carl in the Walking Dead

Giving Disney the Star Wars IP who made terrible movies in return, making the prequels look like masterpieces

The whole Dorne/Sand Snakes storyline in the GoT TV series was seriously botched (with the exception of Oberyn).

The Magic School Bus Rides Again replacing Phoebe. Damn them. Damn them to hell!

Everything involving Daenerys Targaryen in the last season.
    She started acting like a psychopath since like season 3. I don't know how people didn't see that coming.

Quote Originally Posted by Ragnarohk View Post
    She started acting like a psychopath since like season 3. I don't know how people didn't see that coming.
    Always makes me happy to see this, she was never going to go another way.