Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst ...
LastLast
    Killing Joffrey Baratheon.

The end of I am Legend

Quote Originally Posted by Phuongvi View Post
    Transformers G1: Everything past season 1
    FTFY.

But seriously, killing Prime off in the movie isn't the problem. Story advances, and what not. The worst decision to come from that event was not allowing Rodimus Prime to develop in to a good leader like he could have been, but rather bringing Optimus back at the end of season 3 and getting rid of every emotional impact that the movie had.

I say this, KNOWING you will disagree with me. But I found Optimus to be a very VERY bland character. Season 3 could have been so much better had Rodimus not gone through an emo phase as a crappy segway to bring back Optimus.

Quote Originally Posted by RampageBW1 View Post
    FTFY.

But seriously, killing Prime off in the movie isn't the problem. Story advances, and what not. The worst decision to come from that event was not allowing Rodimus Prime to develop in to a good leader like he could have been, but rather bringing Optimus back at the end of season 3 and getting rid of every emotional impact that the movie had.

I say this, KNOWING you will disagree with me. But I found Optimus to be a very VERY bland character. Season 3 could have been so much better had Rodimus not gone through an emo phase as a crappy segway to bring back Optimus.

Developing Rodimus would have not saved the G1 franchise after the movie, it was already doomed from the start of S3 after killing everyone in The Movie. And bringing Prime back at the end of the season was already too late, the dammage was done
    I'm not going to take it personnal when you say Prime was blanted, Most of the G1 character were blanted with the exeption of a few like maybe Megatron, Starscream.
    Blame it on the evil savage capitalism who wanted to kill all the old characters so they could (sell) replace them with new toys

Quote Originally Posted by Athredas View Post
    Give GoT to Dumb & Dumber
    Supernatural going for more than 5 seasons
    Star Wars being sold to Disney (though they are kinda redeeming themselves with these new announcements)
    I swear these where the first three ones that came to my mind.

Quote Originally Posted by ClassicPeon View Post
    Homeland killing off the main character and the best actor it had.

Leaving it with a crazy women going more and more batshit insane with each season.

That show just completely fucked itself..
    I mean, I don't think the dude was the greatest actor. And his story was hard to watch with how quickly he switched to being a sleeper....

..but I agree that the Carrie character just grew more dumb and dumb each season. When someone kills the Vice President and tells you, and you WORK FOR THE CIA, you don't help him escape and become a refugeee...because you "love" him, even though you met him like, a year ago.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Hopsu View Post
    GoT is the obvious one but I have to add couple entries:

Turnin Lost into weird sci-fi after promising start and the ending overall
    The final scene of Sons of Anarchy.
    I'd argue LOST started as kind of a weird sci-fi, and then became pseudo-religious/spiritual at the end. I liked the Dharma Initiative stuff, tbh, but the Jacob/Man in Black stuff was just......meh.

"Now You See Me 2"
    Bad idea all around, and it completely undid the first movie, which was very entertaining.

The Inbetweeners US: It's a complete dumpster fire. The original UK version was better and funnier.

Firefly being out of episodic order and then being cancelled.

Heroes becoming increasingly stale with every season. Sylar being redeemed was cool though, but that remake was terrible.

The Charmed remake. There was no need for it to exist. It's an abomination and a middle finger to the original.

Shiva's death in The Walking Dead.

That one cop in The Shield who killed a stray cat. When I saw the same actor get killed in Sons of Anarchy S1 I was happy (Jax head shot him).

Daredevil on Netflix. Making young Bullseye murder a bunch of kittens. So glad the show is cancelled now. It stunk anyway. But I will agree it's still better than the movie, sans the aforementioned kitten killer.

(It's obviously not shown. It was implied that he did the deed by a chat he had with some therapist)
    Last edited by Xorzor; 2020-12-30 at 04:19 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by MikeBogina View Post
    Game of Thrones, basically anything they did past where the books were at. The story was bad and it was rushed. Arya killing the Night King and Brann winning in the end.

- - - Updated - - -

its so overdone that it's basically a trope now that only white people can be racist. Trying to imply that person you're replying to may be one is kinda sad of you :/
    well to be fair,a few things in the show were done better than in the books,like ignoring some extremly booring or long winded pointless plotpoints,and the ending is very likely to be the same or mostly similar in the books,the problem was how the show got to those points

Quote Originally Posted by Ninix View Post
    Going for sitcoms :

1. That 70s show - S08, without Eric and Kelso + breaking up Hyde and Jackie.

One of the worst screenplay decision I ever seen.

2. Friends : Joey and Rachel thing. Out of place.

3. Scrubs - last season. Wtf was that??

Optional : Two and a Half Men. Kutcher isn't bad on himself, but they lost the soul of the show with Sheen's departure.
    And they they handled really bad the evolution of the characters (Alan and most of all Jake) : it went from twisted to really creepy and uncomfortable.
    How can you make a list for sitcoms and not mention How I Met Your Mother? The whole last season and especially the last episode was a complete abomination that managed to make everything before it irrelevant.

Beyond that, everything in GoT after season 4 where they steadily put the "zombies" (because really, that's what they were aiming for) front and centre as the big bad and thus making everything else irrelevant. The writing going to the dogs didn't help either while as much as people bitch about Daenerys portrayal, she has has nothing on Mr "she's my queen/I don't want it"!

Star Wars going to Disney rounds up the top 3 for me, even if Rogue One and the Mandalorian were ace.

Quote Originally Posted by Xorzor View Post

That one cop in The Shield who killed a stray cat. When I saw the same actor get killed in Sons of Anarchy S1 I was happy (Jax head shot him).
    Before Kurt Sutter created Sons of Anarchy, he was one of the writers on the Shield and he was trying to making Dutch into a serial killer as time went on. There are a ton of subtle and not so subtle nods to this, but the other writers pushed back and it just unraveled.

The worst creative decision of all time was when WoW: Legion completely redesigned, and in some cases took a completely different direction with, character classes that players had already invested > a decade of their lives / hundreds of days /played.

I refuse to believe that nobody on the dev team stood up and said "you're making a massive, irreversible mistake that is going to cause huge player resentment and mistrust for years to come"

This is for Movies/TV shows/Books not video games.
    Last edited by Faltemer; 2020-12-31 at 05:52 AM.
    Subtlety Rogue was an amazing, incredible, unique, and fun spec prior to Legion and BfA

“All opinions are not equal. Some are a very great deal more robust, sophisticated and well supported in logic and argument than others.”

― Douglas Adams

Introducing the character of Seven in Married with Children.
    Sidney's long lost half-brother is the killer in Scream 3, and on top of that, retconned it so he put Billy Loomis up to it.
    Killing Professor X in X-Men The Last Stand. It did absolutely nothing but complicate future sequels and had no impact on the story whatsoever.
    Turning The Mandarin into a joke in Iron Man 3.
    Introducing Doomsday as a Lord of the Rings troll in Batman vs. Superman.
    Making Steppenwolf the villain in Justice League.

A lot of TV shows get the same affliction. They either dont get the time to start and get cancelled right before or when they are finally picking up steam, because of syndication. Others that dont get cancelled instead run for 10 seasons when they already ran dry by the 5th season, also because of syndication. Its a really weird system. Where we promote stuff getting progressivly worse instead of progressivly better.

Disney trying to get rid of Johny Depp over false allegations.

Quote Originally Posted by minteK917 View Post
    A lot of TV shows get the same affliction. They either dont get the time to start and get cancelled right before or when they are finally picking up steam, because of syndication. Others that dont get cancelled instead run for 10 seasons when they already ran dry by the 5th season, also because of syndication. Its a really weird system. Where we promote stuff getting progressivly worse instead of progressivly better.
    Movies have been trending towards this end, as well, and it's probably the insulated bubble that the industry lives in (which the rest of the world does not live in). However, the consumers of these products, i.e. the viewers, have also increasingly been okay with accepting mediocrity and praising it just because it's placed next to trash or they desperately want something to consume.

As an example, The Mandalorian writing is bad... really bad. Season 1 had some serious issues, especially towards the end, but season 2 is riddled with plotholes, everyone acting like idiots, the antagonists being even larger idiots when faced against the protagonists, multiple incredibly lucky things happening to have the conflicts to even exists, inconsistent character behaviors, etc. Season 2 can be summed up as fodder for the Nerd Crew parody that Red Letter Media did for Star Wars: banking on nostalgia and bringing in characters that everyone knows and/or are popular from other series. Now don't get me wrong, the music and production values for The Mandalorian are really good imo, it's just the writing I find completely bad.

Which leads into my point: The Mandalorian's writing gets masked by the production values being good, and after Disney's treatment of the sequal trilogy long-time Star Wars fans are probably trying to latch onto anything with positive points to it. One thing the Mandalorian doesn't do is actively try to butcher established characters, and it leans heavily into fan service... which is perfectly fine on it's own, and a nice change of pace. However, people are ignoring (or are blind to) the issues with the writing because they're getting Star Wars content that doesn't spit in their faces. The long-term issue with this is that Disney will now have the bar set at "fan service is good enough, script be damned!", because much of the positive feedback doesn't even factor in the quality of the writing.

In some respects, I wonder if people have just been exposed to shoddy writing for so long that they don't even recognize when it's actually good. One shouldn't have to turn off their brain for everything in order to get some enjoyment out of a show/movie, and the consumers themselves should be demanding better writing when it's warranted. While the content creators are certainly to blame, the viewers themselves are not blameless as they allow/accept/praise mediocrity when they should be demanding better from content creators who should be capable of so much more.
    “Society is endangered not by the great profligacy of a few, but by the laxity of morals amongst all.”
    “It's not an endlessly expanding list of rights — the 'right' to education, the 'right' to health care, the 'right' to food and housing. That's not freedom, that's dependency. Those aren't rights, those are the rations of slavery — hay and a barn for human cattle.”
    ― Alexis de Tocqueville

Quote Originally Posted by deenman View Post
    well to be fair,a few things in the show were done better than in the books,like ignoring some extremly booring or long winded pointless plotpoints,and the ending is very likely to be the same or mostly similar in the books,the problem was how the show got to those points
    Like going to Dorne? What the show did by not exploring some plotlines, or whole arcs of stories is reveal that they're not important in the end, which kinda ruins it for the books. You may not like like some of them, but a lot of the book readers did. For instance one of the ones im most excited for is what's going on with Euron and Victarion Greyjoy in the books. Victarion isn't even a thing anymore and Euron isn't the same character at all in the show, he's just some stupid character who wants to bone a queen.

Things though, like all the stupid decisions in the last season, placement of troops and trebuchets, sending your cavalry into die, returning to Dragonstone like they did, greyworm letting Tirion decide who's king, etc.

You have the handling of Jon's parentage that was bad. It was only ever used to make Dany go more insane in the end because Jon's now against incest and Varys tries to spread the word about it getting himself killed.

And the Night King dying like he did, to Arya of all people... but that aside, it being only like an episode when there was so much buildup.

In the end the winners were Sansa and Bran, both became evil characters and the show never really acknowledged it either, almost like they didn't realize that they did it. The Kid who can see the future makes sure that Jon knows he's the rightful heir and Dany's nephew, ruining that relationship and causing her to go crazy. Sansa who helped get that info to others gets Varys killed and causes more problems for Dany/Jon, she demands the North and Bran gives it to her and Bran gets the whole kingdoms in the south and a dragon.

I'm praying GRRM isn't going down the same path, but if he does, he spends time making it believable.

Quote Originally Posted by eschatological View Post
    I mean, I don't think the dude was the greatest actor. And his story was hard to watch with how quickly he switched to being a sleeper....

..but I agree that the Carrie character just grew more dumb and dumb each season. When someone kills the Vice President and tells you, and you WORK FOR THE CIA, you don't help him escape and become a refugeee...because you "love" him, even though you met him like, a year ago.

- - - Updated - - -

I'd argue LOST started as kind of a weird sci-fi, and then became pseudo-religious/spiritual at the end. I liked the Dharma Initiative stuff, tbh, but the Jacob/Man in Black stuff was just......meh.
    You are probably right. He was the main attraction for me though.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by MikeBogina View Post
    I'm praying GRRM isn't going down the same path, but if he does, he spends time making it believable.
    That's the biggest thing for me. None of the plot points in the last season(s) of GoT were bad in and of themselves, they were just handled so poorly. Stuff like Dany going bad and even Arya being the one to kill the Night King would have been totally fine had the series spent time getting to those moments in meaningful ways. In the series, they just kinda happen out of nowhere.

I can easily see a version of the books that end up in the exact or nearly exact same places but with much more foreshadowing and development to get there and just overall being handled better.

Quote Originally Posted by Skizzit View Post
    That's the biggest thing for me. None of the plot points in the last season(s) of GoT were bad in and of themselves, they were just handled so poorly. Stuff like Dany going bad and even Arya being the one to kill the Night King would have been totally fine had the series spent time getting to those moments in meaningful ways. In the series, they just kinda happen out of nowhere.

I can easily see a version of the books that end up in the exact or nearly exact same places but with much more foreshadowing and development to get there and just overall being handled better.
    You can kind of see it in the latter seasons. The Hodor thing, for example, makes sense. As the Raven, Bran goes back in time to tell Hodor to "Hold the Door," but Bran, who is literally a child and doesn't understand the consequences of his meddling with time, literally fries his brain so bad that all he can say is "Hold the door" until it disintegrates into the childish babbling of "Hodor." The problem, of course, is how they (D&D) got to that point in the first place - where Bran gets randomly touched by an undead minion of a white walker while.....idk, playing with Jojen outside? And then killing Jojen, a fucking living greenseer, for that mistake that surely D&D wrote, and that touch being enough for the White Walkers to know where Bran is and get through the magical wards set by the Three Eyed Raven. And then the aftermath of that journey is that 3ER dies, Jojen dies, Meera is forgotten, and their father, literally the only living witness to L+R=J in the books, is just completely not introduced. And Bran becomes a powerful warg and...philosopher? after literally nothing. You can see that GRRM gave them the Hodor piece, but not how shit led up to it, or the fallout from it.

Man, I get angry thinking of seasons 5 and onward of that show.