Page 1 of 5
... LastLast
    10+ Year Old Account

[Megathread] STAR WARS: Squadrons

Buckle up, take full control of starfighters such as the X-wing and TIE fighter, and feel the adrenaline of strategic first-person 5v5 multiplayer dogfights alongside your squadron.

In a fateful campaign set near the conclusion of the Galactic Civil War, learn what it means to be a pilot in a thrilling STAR WARS™ single-player story. The New Republic fights for freedom. The Empire demands order. We need you to join the galaxy’s finest. STAR WARS™: Squadrons is available October 2, 2020 on PlayStation®4, Xbox One, Origin PC, Steam, Epic Games Store, and Virtual Reality (VR) on PlayStation 4 and PC with cross-play support.

Tune in to EA Play on June 18, 4PM PT to watch the gameplay world premiere of STAR WARS™: Squadrons.

Get briefed: https://www.ea.com/games/starwars/squ...
    Pre-order now: https://www.ea.com/games/starwars/squ...
    Follow EA Star Wars:
    https://twitter.com/EAStarWars
    https://www.instagram.com/eastarwars/
    https://www.facebook.com/EAStarWars/

About STAR WARS™: Squadrons:

ALL WINGS REPORT IN – Plan skirmishes with your squadron in the briefing room before taking off to the evolving battlefields across the galaxy. Compete in intense 5v5 multiplayer dogfights or unite with your squadron to tip the scales in monumental fleet battles. Together, you’re the galaxy’s finest.

MASTER LEGENDARY STARFIGHTERS – Take control of different classes of starfighters from both the New Republic and Imperial fleets – including the agile A-wing and the devastating TIE bomber. Modify your ship, divert the power between its systems, and destroy your opponents in strategic space dogfights.

GET IN THE COCKPIT – The cockpit is your home. Use its dashboards to your advantage and – with just a thin hull of metal and glass between you and the perils of space – feel the intensity of combat from a first-person perspective. Take off in thrilling multiplayer modes and a unique single-player Star Wars story, which covers a key campaign near the conclusion of the Galactic Civil War. Immerse yourself in the pilot’s seat completely with the option to play the entirety of Star Wars: Squadrons in Virtual Reality on PlayStation 4 and PC.

THE MISSION IS CLEAR – Star Wars: Squadrons is a fully self-contained experience from day one, where you earn rewards through play. Climb the ranks and unlock new components like weapons, hulls, engines, shields, and cosmetic items in a clear path for progression that keeps gameplay fresh and engaging.

I’ve always thought a Star Wars fight sim in VR would be amazing.

If i can hookup my thrustmaster then it would be amazing

Jedi: Fallen Order got pretty good reviews, although I didn't buy it as continued protest over the fiasco that EA turned Battlefront 2 (2017) into. If Squadrons continues in that vein it might be pretty good. It certainly looks fantastic!
    Cheerful lack of self-preservation

Quote Originally Posted by Nefarious Tea View Post
    Jedi: Fallen Order got pretty good reviews, although I didn't buy it as continued protest over the fiasco that EA turned Battlefront 2 (2017) into. If Squadrons continues in that vein it might be pretty good. It certainly looks fantastic!
    Jedi: Fallen Order was great. Battlefront II got really good, to bad they abandoned it.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Yelmurc View Post
    Jedi: Fallen Order was great. Battlefront II got really good, to bad they abandoned it.
    I haven't played Battlefront II in a while but I thought it was still receiving updates?

In b4 people crap on this game for not being a copy of Rogue Squadron.

Resident Cosplay Progressive

Quote Originally Posted by PACOX View Post
    I haven't played Battlefront II in a while but I thought it was still receiving updates?

TIE Fighter is the pinnacle of Star Wars videogames. FITE ME.

Illo dicto, I don't expect this to be better or worse than TIE Fighter, but different in its own way and similarly good. I'm just worried still that they'll botch it
    Cheerful lack of self-preservation

10+ Year Old Account
    Finally a modern take on X-Wing and TIE Fighter
    We're all newbs, some are just more newbier than others.

Just a burned out hardcore raider turned casual.
    I'm tired. So very tired. Can I just lay my head on your lap and fall asleep?
    #TeamFuckEverything

Quote Originally Posted by PACOX View Post

They did the Scariff update about 2 months ago and announced it would be the last content update.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Nefarious Tea View Post
    TIE Fighter is the pinnacle of Star Wars videogames. FITE ME.

Illo dicto, I don't expect this to be better or worse than TIE Fighter, but different in its own way and similarly good. I'm just worried still that they'll botch it
    I'm thinking they are going to borrow a lot from War Thunder/World of x when it comes to multi-player. The worst we should get are the same Battlefront 2 flight mechanics in its own game.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Yelmurc View Post
    They did the Scariff update about 2 months ago and announced it would be the last content update.
    That's kind of fair now that I think about it. Considering EA wants you buy a full priced COD every year, a battle royale game wants you to buy a season pass every few months, BF2 has been around for a while in VG years with free updates nonetheless.

Resident Cosplay Progressive

While I typically cannot get into large scale battle royale games, this type of game would interest me greatly with such a game mode. 5v5 is fine and dandy, but the setting allows and probably prefers large scale battles. I'm mostly certain they'd throw in a bunch of bots to make the game say "hey, you're group of 5 are the elite hero types with a companion armada of general soldiers (i.e. bots)... and you're fighting the same thing." At least there's a single player mode in case it strikes people's fancy.

The thought did cross my mind, but a YouTube commentor beat me to it: I wouldn't be surprised if EA offered loot boxes that had a chance to summon force lightning to disable all enemy ships at this point.
    “Society is endangered not by the great profligacy of a few, but by the laxity of morals amongst all.”
    “It's not an endlessly expanding list of rights — the 'right' to education, the 'right' to health care, the 'right' to food and housing. That's not freedom, that's dependency. Those aren't rights, those are the rations of slavery — hay and a barn for human cattle.”
    ― Alexis de Tocqueville

S...space fights? In game mode? And you get to play as Sith or Jedi? This. Is. Peak.

Hmmm mildly intrigued

10+ Year Old Account
    Why i got a felling this is gona be a team game. With classes.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by HighlordJohnstone View Post
    S...space fights? In game mode? And you get to play as Sith or Jedi? This. Is. Peak.
    Sith/Jedi probably hero classes if anything. It's the Empire vs Republic tho.
    -K

Quote Originally Posted by Yunru View Post
    Why i got a felling this is gona be a team game. With classes.
    i think that's rather likely, with different vehicles like X-Wing, Tie-Fighters, Y-Wings, A-Wing and whatnot (forgot the imperial space ships except tie fighter^^), so you could have a team that should be rather balanced with different ones

Tie Fighter is one of my absolute games ever, but I am not sure about this. My main issue is that having it cross-play between consoles and PC, it will have to have severely restricted functionality in relation to the X-Wing/Tie Fighter series because there is no way you can do a full space sim with just a controller.

Why can't this be a single player game? Why is everything multiplayer only today (maybe with some singleplayer tutorial missions)?
    I'd love a X-Wing/Tie Fighter sequel but sadly a multiplayer game is a non-buy for me.

Quote Originally Posted by Yriel View Post
    Why can't this be a single player game? Why is everything multiplayer only today (maybe with some singleplayer tutorial missions)?
    I'd love a X-Wing/Tie Fighter sequel but sadly a multiplayer game is a non-buy for me.
    I must have missed it somewhere where it said it's "multiplayer only". It does say however "a unique single-player Star Wars story, which covers a key campaign near the conclusion of the Galactic Civil War."
    Goodbye-Forever-MMO-Champ
    Quote Originally Posted by HighlordJohnstone View Post
    Alleria's whispers start climaxing

Quote Originally Posted by Pebrocks The Warlock View Post
    I must have missed it somewhere where it said it's "multiplayer only". It does say however "a unique single-player Star Wars story, which covers a key campaign near the conclusion of the Galactic Civil War."
    I'd be happy if that is true, i only saw it marketed as a 5 vs 5 pvp game with maybe an tutorial campaign à la Battlefield.