Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst ...
2
3
4
5
6
LastLast
  1. #61
    Quote Originally Posted by Nerph- View Post
    Hmmm, I think you might be running the old 1.9.x version because the update button and notification is now bottom right of the app. I could of course be wrong though. If you want to be sure I'd delete/uninstall WowUp and download v2 off the website.

    Unfortunately no program is flawless, and no doubt WowUp has bugs to straighten out. It's unfortunate you got some of them, as the program has pretty much worked flawlessly for me. That said I'm not trying to "sell" it or anything I think people should use whatever works for them.
    I'll try uninstalling and doing a clean install to see if that fixes it. Was planning on just uninstalling, but you say it has worked perfectly for you maybe I am just unlucky

  2. #62
    Quote Originally Posted by awadh View Post
    And they don't support addon creators like Overwolf is going to/is already doing.
    If you believe that... i got a nice bottle of snakeoil i like to sell you! 99,99 only! Cures almost everything!
    If you are offended by something i said, im probably at least 45% sorry about it and there is a 3% Chance it was not on purpose!

    Victim to Blizzard-Marketing since 2004

  3. #63
    I switched to Overwolf—works fine.
    Fairy tales are more than true – not because they tell us dragons exist, but because they tell us dragons can be beaten. -G. K. Chesterton & Neil Gaiman
    Twitter | DeviantArt | Twitch

  4. #64

  5. #65
    I’ve been using Curseforge. No issues so far and haven’t heard anything negative, although that’s from personal experience and not diving into reviews at all.

  6. #66
    Quote Originally Posted by blankfaced View Post
    Are you really hurting for HD space that the size of an app matters?
    I was asked where the bloat is

    Quote Originally Posted by Malvient View Post
    who cares? are you running an HDD from 1998?
    Them apparently.
    My Collection
    - Bring back my damn zoom distance/MoP Portals - I read OP minimum, 1st page maximum-make wow alt friendly again -Please post constructively(topkek) -Kill myself

  7. #67
    Quote Originally Posted by Stormwolf64 View Post
    Aha. So because you have facebook and google account you should just willingly hand yourself out to everyone out there?
    You've never actually looked at what you have to give to make an account to get the addons, have you? YOu give ZERO actual data to sign up. Goggle and Facebook require you to give them your name address, and other stuff. You are giving therm far more than what you are giving Overwolf, yet people are whining about Overwolf while they gladly hand over real data to Facebook. It's hypocrisy and ignorance.

  8. #68
    Quote Originally Posted by Stormwolf64 View Post
    What they gather on you depends on what you put up on your profile and account details. I mean, you put it there so how could they not know you.
    You don't. There is zero reason to create account.

  9. #69
    Quote Originally Posted by Utrrabbit View Post
    Its not the adware. It is the fact that they have been pushing to have ads playing in game from addons while you play. From every addon you download from them. I run over 50 addons. That wouls be 50 ads playing on my screen.

    Thankfully blizzard told them no.

    Overwolf wants all addons you use to play ads on your screen in game. One for every addon you use from them. The only reason they have not is because blizz told them no. The very reason they even suggested it means they can not ever be trusted.
    Prove it. No game company is going to let them do that, so it does not matter. You are basically complaining about something that isn't happening and never will.

  10. #70
    Quote Originally Posted by kaminaris View Post
    You don't. There is zero reason to create account.
    Now this is a very selfishly narrow way of thinking. Do you ever sit back and think about the fact that different people are not you?

  11. #71
    Quote Originally Posted by kaminaris View Post
    You don't. There is zero reason to create account.
    You need on to be able to automatically install addons. I am not going to waste time to manually install them.

  12. #72
    Stealthed Defender unbound's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2014
    Location
    All that moves is easily heard in the void.
    Posts
    6,433
    Quote Originally Posted by Gimlix View Post
    I know Twitch has a link to the new addon site that we can use, but i heard alot of negative about it.
    So what is the best option now to get new addons?
    Overwolf has some issues, so many people recommend avoiding it. Some of those issues are around advertising, but the bigger concern is their developers including suspect elements in the downloads. I personally recommend avoiding it, but to each their own.

    I personally use WowUp now. It has a more basic interface, but it works quite well.

  13. #73
    Quote Originally Posted by Stormwolf64 View Post
    Aha. So because you have facebook and google account you should just willingly hand yourself out to everyone out there?
    That’s not the point the other person was making and I would like to think people are smart enough to realize that. Apparently not as the point when pretty far over your head.

  14. #74
    Quote Originally Posted by rrayy View Post
    You need on to be able to automatically install addons. I am not going to waste time to manually install them.
    No. I never logged in in app can still update (including all) and install addons from curseforge app just fine:

    https://i.imgur.com/EpF4UTE.png

    (technically I do have account on curseforge and overwolf since I am addon author but I have never provided info when using it on app, nor have I logged in in app itself or overwolf website)

    And I just checked, you can download and use app without having account
    Last edited by kaminaris; 2020-12-16 at 04:17 PM.

  15. #75
    Quote Originally Posted by Utrrabbit View Post
    Its not the adware. It is the fact that they have been pushing to have ads playing in game from addons while you play. From every addon you download from them. I run over 50 addons. That wouls be 50 ads playing on my screen.

    Overwolf wants all addons you use to play ads on your screen in game. One for every addon you use from them. The only reason they have not is because blizz told them no. The very reason they even suggested it means they can not ever be trusted.
    Just....no. The ad plays on the platform itself while its open but there is no way it can force ads on your game screen once the app is closed. It requires some settings configuration but once Curseforge is closed, OW goes with it.

    While OW will look to make its income somehow, doing what you mentioned will put the app and possibly their whole company 6 feet under. Unless you have some sources on their plans to play adds on some overlay per addon you have, stop spreading the fud.
    The wise wolf who's pride is her wisdom isn't so sharp as drunk.

  16. #76
    Quote Originally Posted by unbound View Post
    Overwolf has some issues, so many people recommend avoiding it. Some of those issues are around advertising, but the bigger concern is their developers including suspect elements in the downloads. I personally recommend avoiding it, but to each their own.

    I personally use WowUp now. It has a more basic interface, but it works quite well.
    YOu do know that WoWup leeches off of the Curse Forge database, so those "suspect elements" will be there as well, right? You aren't avoiding that by using WoWUp.

  17. #77
    Quote Originally Posted by Djuntas View Post
    Why does every simple app we use haft to make money on us?
    because we use their app?

  18. #78
    I have been using CurseForge (Overwolf) since Twitch went away. It has the same look and feel that Twitch had for add-ons. I haven't had any problems with it.

  19. #79
    Quote Originally Posted by rrayy View Post
    YOu do know that WoWup leeches off of the Curse Forge database, so those "suspect elements" will be there as well, right? You aren't avoiding that by using WoWUp.
    If by leeches you mean download from the repo, then yes. But all that code is open source. Hes talking about overwolf having suspect elements

  20. #80
    Quote Originally Posted by LedZeppelin View Post
    If by leeches you mean download from the repo, then yes. But all that code is open source. Hes talking about overwolf having suspect elements
    Open source code doesn't mean you can freely distribute it as you see fit. Intellectual property belongs to addon authors and that is restricted by license.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •