Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst
LastLast
    10+ Year Old Account
    using ajour, tried overwolf but it's too immensely bloated for my tastes

Quote Originally Posted by oplawlz View Post
    But why bother when wowup does the same thing better?
    Because it is a scrapperware and uses someone else API without their permission. Imagine if you buy a large field near shopping center, transform it into a parking lot and give it for free to use, but some ad banners are there so you can get some money back. Then some dude comes there, cuts out some of YOUR field, also make it free it use but removes your ad banners on his cut. Yes it is like that. They use curseforge api servers without their permission. Servers and bandwidth are not free.

Quote Originally Posted by kaminaris View Post
    Because it is a scrapperware and uses someone else API without their permission. Imagine if you buy a large field near shopping center, transform it into a parking lot and give it for free to use, but some ad banners are there so you can get some money back. Then some dude comes there, cuts out some of YOUR field, also make it free it use but removes your ad banners on his cut. Yes it is like that. They use curseforge api servers without their permission. Servers and bandwidth are not free.
    You can't use an api without permission. It's either an open api or it isn't.
    Quote Originally Posted by Kaleredar View Post
    Nah nah, see... I live by one simple creed: You might catch more flies with honey, but to catch honeys you gotta be fly.

Quote Originally Posted by oplawlz View Post
    You can't use an api without permission. It's either an open api or it isn't.
    It isn't protected but its not open, not documented and not intended to use for 3rd party

WoWup.io

/10char
    Quote Originally Posted by Tennisace View Post
    You will eventually realize nobody takes you seriously.
    Quote Originally Posted by derpkitteh View Post
    i am no weeb. i am just a connoisseur of fine waifus.

Quote Originally Posted by Gimlix View Post
    Aye Overwolf merged with CursedForge, seems really well made. Idk why the hate on it though. Or just a few pple and mostly all positive?
    People are mad because Overwolf essentially threatened to make CurseForge (the repo) private and take measures against scraping, so third party apps like WowUp (which recently became popular) would be dead.

As it is, CurseForge (the Overwolf app) is currently the only addon manager that provides any degree of financial support to addon authors, so it's the one I recommend. The rest are just freeloading from both addon authors and repo providers like WowInterface, Curseforge, and Tukui.

Quote Originally Posted by blankfaced View Post
    People keep using the term "without the bulk" what bulk exactly does curseforge have that you're unable to avoid?

Nothing has been sold to me or offered up for sale. Sounds like a bunch of internet boogie man stories that got spread to get people to switch to another program. Selling information? Hun your information is already out there. Let's not pretend like you're not monitored every minute of your life with every keystroke and mouse click.

I use curseforge. It's easy and does what it needs to do and i can find the addons right in the app. Although i did have a slight issue at the start, not realizing there's a drop down for PTR and live.
    Yeaaah, I'm hard pressed to find any "bulk". I open Curseforge, choose "update all", close the program and have chosen the option for it to close down entirely rather than run in the background.

Easy. Taking a stand against it as a computer user with a smartphone seems rather reduntant, but each to their own. I'm starting to think that my damned phone is reading my mind though...

1 minute: Tell someone I need a new toothbrush, no prior searching or googling.
    2nd minute: Ads start showing electric toothbrushes on my phone.

People keep using the term "without the bulk" what bulk exactly does curseforge have that you're unable to avoid?
    How big is curse installed? I don't even have Ajour installed, it's on my Dropbox and I have a link to it on my taskbar but even then it's only 16mb
    My Collection
    - Bring back my damn zoom distance/MoP Portals - I read OP minimum, 1st page maximum-make wow alt friendly again -Please post constructively(topkek) -Kill myself

Quote Originally Posted by Queen of Hamsters View Post
    Yeaaah, I'm hard pressed to find any "bulk". I open Curseforge, choose "update all", close the program and have chosen the option for it to close down entirely rather than run in the background.

Easy. Taking a stand against it as a computer user with a smartphone seems rather reduntant, but each to their own. I'm starting to think that my damned phone is reading my mind though...

1 minute: Tell someone I need a new toothbrush, no prior searching or googling.
    2nd minute: Ads start showing electric toothbrushes on my phone.
    The mic on a smartphone is always listening.
    Quote Originally Posted by Alex86el View Post
    "Orc want, orc take." and "Orc dissagrees, orc kill you to win argument."
    Quote Originally Posted by Toho View Post
    The Horde is basically the guy that gets mad that the guy that they just beat the crap out of had the audacity to bleed on them.
    Why no, people don't just like Sylvie for T&A: https://www.mmo-champion.com/threads...ery-Cinematic/

Quote Originally Posted by Drusin View Post
    How big is curse installed? I don't even have Ajour installed, it's on my Dropbox and I have a link to it on my taskbar but even then it's only 16mb
    who cares? are you running an HDD from 1998?

There are more shady corps to hand your info to than Google and Facebook and you guys fucking know it. Don't be dumb now.

15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by matheney2k View Post
    Well now that you mention it that's another thing I've noticed lately (with the latest update?) it says there's an update available for the client up at the top, but when I try to download it it says I need to restart to take effect the changes, but nothing happens when I click the restart button nor when I force close and reopen the app the 'update' button is back up at the top and the cycle repeats itself.

But that issue is separate and is much more recent to the one I originally spoke of. The client 'missing' addons that need to be updated has been a thing since way before twitch app closed down.
    Hmmm, I think you might be running the old 1.9.x version because the update button and notification is now bottom right of the app. I could of course be wrong though. If you want to be sure I'd delete/uninstall WowUp and download v2 off the website.

Unfortunately no program is flawless, and no doubt WowUp has bugs to straighten out. It's unfortunate you got some of them, as the program has pretty much worked flawlessly for me. That said I'm not trying to "sell" it or anything I think people should use whatever works for them.

Quote Originally Posted by Stormwolf64 View Post
    There are more shady corps to hand your info to than Google and Facebook and you guys fucking know it. Don't be dumb now.
    Dude, you are not giving them your personal info. They don't know anything about you except your pc specs and IP as opposed to facebook and google that knows practically everything about you.

Quote Originally Posted by Drusin View Post
    Are you really hurting for HD space that the size of an app matters?
    I'm a thread killer.

10+ Year Old Account
    there's nothing wrong with scraping a website if the scraper doesn't spam requests for no reasons. ads are a clunky as hell way to monetize anyway. if authors have to get money, then they shall give a way for players to make donations. I don't see why there has to be someone in between taking a cut. and there's platforms like github who figured out how repositories work.
    Last edited by Cæli; 2020-12-16 at 03:26 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by kaminaris View Post
    Dude, you are not giving them your personal info. They don't know anything about you except your pc specs and IP as opposed to facebook and google that knows practically everything about you.
    What they gather on you depends on what you put up on your profile and account details. I mean, you put it there so how could they not know you.

Quote Originally Posted by awadh View Post
    And they don't support addon creators like Overwolf is going to/is already doing.
    If you believe that... i got a nice bottle of snakeoil i like to sell you! 99,99 only! Cures almost everything!
    If you are offended by something i said, im probably at least 45% sorry about it and there is a 3% Chance it was not on purpose!

Blizzard, getting away with murder since at least 2019.

I’ve been using Curseforge. No issues so far and haven’t heard anything negative, although that’s from personal experience and not diving into reviews at all.

Are you really hurting for HD space that the size of an app matters?
    I was asked where the bloat is

Quote Originally Posted by Malvient View Post
    who cares? are you running an HDD from 1998?
    Them apparently.
    My Collection
    - Bring back my damn zoom distance/MoP Portals - I read OP minimum, 1st page maximum-make wow alt friendly again -Please post constructively(topkek) -Kill myself