Page 9 of 12 FirstFirst ...
... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by Jujudrood View Post
    The Maw is fine.
    The problem is that WoW's open world areas have been so non-threatening and so easy on people for so long that they introduce a piece of content that has a slight bit of difficulty and everyone loses their minds.

"But I can't mount!?!?" Well, ok. Kill an outrider, take his. Buy the speed boost consumable. Get the teleport upgrades.
    "But there's NOTHING to do!" There are dailies, killing rares, getting stygia for some upgrades, and it's capped passively with Eye of the Jailer so it's not a "required daily grind", which is a good thing, right??
    "But it's hard for the sake of being hard!" Good! Every other zone in WoW is without a single threat, you just lollygag through on a mount without a care. There should be something outside of instanced content where you need to use the slightest bit of your brain to not die.
    "But if I die, I LOSE CURRENCY?!?!?!" Yeah, it's called "stakes". There's a gamble involved, so don't just lol AOE pull if you can't handle it, and if you die, go get your corpse and recover your currency.

The Maw is WoW's version of Hell.
    What are you expecting? Fields of flowers and showers of epic gear?
    /thread
    /10char

High Overlord
    10+ Year Old Account
    its one of the worst things they have done for sure. its a game and there idea was lets make this place suck cause its hell.... yeah that's a great idea for gaming lets make it suck! I mean wow bliz take flying away hmm now take mounts away hmm is the next cool idea a zone where you can't walk you just zone in and are stuck there for 30 min until your booted out I mean wow player base needs to stand up for themselves when its this stupid.
    Stop nerfing every character I play! I want to be Op....

Quote Originally Posted by Hecow View Post
    its one of the worst things they have done for sure. its a game and there idea was lets make this place suck cause its hell.... yeah that's a great idea for gaming lets make it suck! I mean wow bliz take flying away hmm now take mounts away hmm is the next cool idea a zone where you can't walk you just zone in and are stuck there for 30 min until your booted out I mean wow player base needs to stand up for themselves when its this stupid.
    imagine being this butthurt because you can't mount

post was funny tho and actually made me laugh IRL, cheers

Quote Originally Posted by sephrinx View Post
    Yes, absolutely. Without a doubt.

It's so bad that I just don't go there anymore on any of my characters. I simply don't care. Fuck the maw.
    ^^^ This, i am in the same boat 100%.

I really gave it a chance for the 1st week but then realized how inflated my playtime is just due to the dailies in the maw and the 'reward' is such a tedious and long-drawn out affiar ...the worth of time investment is just not there imo. Granted if the landscape/area was more engaging and not just a wasteland specifically set to take more time out of you playtime....Then maybe i could see myself getting in on the rotation of dailies. To the contrary, I really Like Torghast, and Tor progression (upgrades) being locked behind Ve'nari is bothersome.

The worst? Debatable. Challenging? Lol no. Tedious? Yeah. I'm in the "make it as miserable for everyone" camp though. Disable Shamwolf and Druid travel forms.

I think the worst thing about the maw is that it's intended to be this slow paced survival type thing, and you can see druids and worgen running at full tilt past you because Blizzard can't admit that wasn't intentional...

Warchief
    7+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Fleugen View Post
    All I was expecting was fun gameplay.

Shitty gameplay is bad in a game no matter what the explanation is. If you're going to explain away bad gameplay decisions with bad story decisions, why not just AVOID that story decision and make a more fun decision?
    Why is the gameplay bad though?
    Is your character unable to use certain spells/attacks?
    Are your heal abilities mitigated in some form?

Or is it because it takes too long to run to the Tremaculum or whatever it's called (buy the portal upgrade, takes about 8 seconds to zip there).
    Or is it because of the elite area that promotes group play in an MMO? How dare they...

Like, I get it.
    It's not everyone's cup of tea, but your character, aside from mounting, can do everything it needs to do, so really this whole thing just devolves every time into:
    "I can't mount, therefore it's the worst thing ever"
    You don't have to like it, but let's not pretend like it's an absolute mandatory thing that everyone has to dump hours into every day either.
    You go in, kill some stuff, leave.

Running around in a group killing and triggering rares is fun

Quote Originally Posted by Season2mask View Post
    The Maw is a wasteland containing 4 daily quests. Just to increase the difficulty of doing them, they give you no mount and annoy you with the eye of the jailer things.

Is that supposed to be fun?
    In Legion we had Suramar, one of the best things Blizzard has ever done. Shadowland's version of Suramar is The Maw, a tedious wasteland?

This is worse than broken shore. What value is there in this place?
    I like how much I hate going there... that's the entire point. And besides that, it's a style of gameplay that the game has been lacking for years - careful exploration where you have to actually pay attention to what you pull and not just Dynasty Warriors an entire zone, at least for now with the typical player's gear.

Enjoying it. Having a dark dangerous place where you feel weak. Music is epic. Stopped doing dailies a while ago though, felt like a chore for someone who doesn't mind not having sockets.

So many ppl skipping it , just wait for flying being tied to ve'nari questline that is gated by her rep. Then you'll have to catch up all at once and the river of tears will be overflowing

The maw isnt hard, just boring. Blizz always mistakes "hard" for "fuckin boring chore"

Warchief
    7+ Year Old Account
    There is a lack of objective. The daily quest rewards are subpar, and do not give me reason to go there. The Stygia rewards are useless to me. I have no reason to want to do any of the objectives, because all of it ties back to Stygia and it's lack of proper reward.

It is a zone which has no use to me, and as such, is basically not a zone at all to me. Being able to play my character there is such a low bar to pass that a capital city could count as content in that case, so long as it has a target dummy.

And stop applying everyone else's arguments to me. I am a Druid. I can mount, and have never complained about a lack of mounts. In fact, I've argued that even once you GET mounts it's still going to suck, because the mob density in the Maw will still not allow you to go anywhere without being chain-combatted and eventually dazed off of it anyway.
    There's a mount item to prevent daze.
    Pathing can also be done, especially as a druid with stealth, to avoid density.
    But that's besides the point.

But your stance is fine, if the permanent upgrades to the Maw/Torghast don't interest you, then don't do it.
    The bets part is that, aside from some quests, it's purely optional.
    You do to the Maw to rescue people from scenarios, but if you don't want to cap 5/5 Jailer every day, you don't have to.
    Feel free to not like it, feel free to ignore it.
    The objective is to build rep with Ve'Nari and collect stygia for upgrades (and eventually sockets for min/maxers).
    If that's not your cup of tea, cool. Do you, man.
    But I see worthy gameplay and, also as a druid, I don't hate it or find it pointless or worthless, so I guess we agree to disagree.

7+ Year Old Account
    All that moves is easily heard in the void.
    Quote Originally Posted by Season2mask View Post
    This is worse than broken shore. What value is there in this place?
    To slow down the speed of grinding, and to get players excited for that rare mount drop. This entire expansion is simple grind, but split into multiple currencies in the hope that much of the player base won't notice.

So, instead of just AP grinding (A being Anima this time), you get to a bunch of disconnected grinding mechanisms to make you feel like its special somehow.

Quote Originally Posted by Akibaboy View Post
    I like how much I hate going there... that's the entire point. And besides that, it's a style of gameplay that the game has been lacking for years - careful exploration where you have to actually pay attention to what you pull and not just Dynasty Warriors an entire zone, at least for now with the typical player's gear.
    I mean I disagree with maybe the exception of the hold but then it's a soft maybe...

Just pop a defensive run through then drop combat. Beyond that everything isn't dangerous it just spams cc at you.

It's not the worst thing but its tedious and annoying and arguably the expansion would be better without it.

10+ Year Old Account
    I like the Maw. Blizzard set out to make a 'scary' open world where dying actually has consequences, and they succeeded at that. It feels like hell, and that's what the Maw is.

Most of my friends hate the Maw. They see it as a zone that is tedious and painful, but mandatory for Torghast which gives them Soul Ash. Mind you, these players tend to skip quest text and cutscenes while levelling. "Stop and smell the roses" is not a phrase in their dictionary.

I'm not really sure what more Blizz could do to the "mixmax" crowd, while still making it enjoyable for people who appreciate the heightened danger.
    Last edited by roboscorcher; 2020-12-16 at 03:36 PM.

Warchief
    7+ Year Old Account
    Which would be fine...

... if it weren't the ONLY thing they tried to push for us to do all expansion. So now we have a dead expansion, because they pushed really hard on the Maw, and now I don't have any reason nor desire to do it. And let's not kid ourselves into believing they aren't going to continue to push the Maw as the "next big thing" all expansion long, they didn't put work into the feature to let it die as soon as they introduced it.
    I'm sure they will, and I'm fine with it (for now).
    Who knows, maybe 2 months from now I'll be over it and not want to step foot in it too, picketing right alongside you upset that we ended up with IEs 2.0 or something.
    Happens a lot with a lot of other content, from dungeons to raids to PVP, where you just get tired of it.
    If they mix things up, expand on it, add additional objectives (maybe like a 'capture the zone' type thing with Mawsworn storming an area), then mix in some cosmetic rewards or pets or whatever else people like to collect (not my bag, but to each their own), it could add longevity to it.

Quote Originally Posted by valax View Post
    So many ppl skipping it , just wait for flying being tied to ve'nari questline that is gated by her rep. Then you'll have to catch up all at once and the river of tears will be overflowing
    https://es.wowhead.com/news=316832/p...in-shadowlands

Quote Originally Posted by Ion
    You won't be able to fly when Shadowlands is released; we think it's super important that you experience the world as intended, that you meet everything on it and go through the quests... really take it all in from the ground. But then we realize that as you get further along in the expansion, you've revisited zones, that you like the convenience of being able to fly to areas, and so we did hear feedback from players about how Pathfinder worked in BfA, and complaints about the rep grind they had to do to achieve it. So what we're going to do to to unlock flying in Shadowlands is that this is going to be based on renown, so as you develop your renown with your covenant, that will effectively unlock Pathfinder.
    Fuck Ve'nari. I was only interested in the torghast upgrades in the first place but now that I saw I can do layer 8 with ease without them....Fuck Ve'nari.

Quote Originally Posted by PrimiOne View Post
    https://es.wowhead.com/news=316832/p...in-shadowlands

Fuck Ve'nari. I was only interested in the torghast upgrades in the first place but now that I saw I can do layer 8 with ease without them....Fuck Ve'nari.
    Then why does it need a pathfinder achievement instead of being just a renown perk ? They say it won't be locked behind multiple factions rep grinds , but probably getting to the end of the zones storylines , exploring the zones and renown are still requirements it just happens that progress in the maw is locked behind a "not really a faction" rep.

Quote Originally Posted by valax View Post
    Then why does it need a pathfinder achievement instead of being just a renown perk ? They say it won't be locked behind multiple factions rep grinds , but probably getting to the end of the zones storylines , exploring the zones and renown are still requirements it just happens that progress in the maw is locked behind a "not really a faction" rep.
    So the Game Director is explicitly telling you that is gonna be tied to Covenant renown not reputation "and complaints about the rep grind they had to do to achieve it" but ...you got your own personal theory, right?

OK.

OK.