Which GPU to upgrade a GTX 970?

Currently in the process of upgrading to new hardware, and I've already bought the mobo/cpu/m.2/RAM, but I'm holding off on GPUs because they're still obscenely overpriced thanks to scalpers. So I'm just going to chill and watch sales/deals over the next 3-5 months, though I'm not entirely sure which GPU I should be targeting.

I want something that's a nice big upgrade over my ancient GTX 970, but I don't exactly need something super top of the line either. Just something that can handle 1440p 120fps at decent settings, I suppose. I think the most graphically-intensive game I even own right now is Dark Souls 3. I do a lot of video rendering/editing though, and was told that having a powerful GPU would help speed up render times.

Quote Originally Posted by anon5123 View Post
    Currently in the process of upgrading to new hardware, and I've already bought the mobo/cpu/m.2/RAM, but I'm holding off on GPUs because they're still obscenely overpriced thanks to scalpers. So I'm just going to chill and watch sales/deals over the next 3-5 months, though I'm not entirely sure which GPU I should be targeting.

I want something that's a nice big upgrade over my ancient GTX 970, but I don't exactly need something super top of the line either. Just something that can handle 1440p 120fps at decent settings, I suppose. I think the most graphically-intensive game I even own right now is Dark Souls 3. I do a lot of video rendering/editing though, and was told that having a powerful GPU would help speed up render times.
    If u can get ahold of one the 3070 or 3060ti would be a massive upgrade for you.
    Check me out....Im └(-.-)┘┌(-.-)┘┌(-.-)┐└(-.-)┐ Dancing, Im └(-.-)┘┌(-.-)┘┌(-.-)┐└(-.-)┐ Dancing.
    My Gaming PC: MSI Trident 3 - i7-10700F - RTX 4060 8GB - 32GB DDR4 - 1TB M.2SSD

Yeah, those are the ones that are like $600+ on eBay. I suppose anything 3060/3070/3080 would be a massive upgrade for me, yeah.

After a bit of browsing around and using that GPU comparison site, it seems like a 3060 ti is a good choice right now, as it's the cheapest of the 3000's and still a ridiculously massive upgrade over my current GPU.

I went ahead and added every single version of it to my alert list on Hotstock; is there anywhere else I could check to buy it for less than $500? Every single auction of it on eBay is $600+
    Last edited by anon5123; 2020-12-17 at 09:45 PM.

The Unstoppable Force DeltrusDisc's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    Honestly, I had a 970 that died, and replaced it with a 1080 Ti, funny thing is my old 760 is still chugging along in a computer my parents use.

If you can FIND a 30 series, that would be awesome. A 20 series Super would be alright, but I feel unless you get a good deal, you'd always have that "what could've been" feeling in regards to a 30 series card.

But yeah, especially thanks to you having TIME to wait and save up, you could maybe get a nice 3080, or hell if they launch the rumored 3080 Ti (20GB VRAM, YUM) you could go to town with something like that haha

Either way, at least your GPU is still working, so that's great! Keep using it, the fruits of your labor will pay off.
    "A flower.
    Yes. Upon your return, I will gift you a beautiful flower."

"Remember. Remember... that we once lived..."

Quote Originally Posted by mmocd061d7bab8 View Post
    yeh but lava is just very hot water

10+ Year Old Account
    I’m chasing the 3080 because I want 130+ frames at 1440p for the next 4-5 years. Just wish there was more supply for all the demand.
    Most likely the wisest Enhancement Shaman.

Quote Originally Posted by DeltrusDisc View Post
    Either way, at least your GPU is still working, so that's great! Keep using it, the fruits of your labor will pay off.
    I mean it's only 5 years old. My older desktop used a GTX 460 for about 9 years before it randomly shit the bed and died one day; ended up replacing it with a 1650 super for 1080p recording / streaming.

But yeah, I'm not exactly in a hurry for a new GPU, so I'll just hang around and see if I can't snag a 3060 ti for below $500. First one below that threshold that I see, I'm buying.

Quote Originally Posted by crakerjack View Post
    I’m chasing the 3080 because I want 130+ frames at 1440p for the next 4-5 years. Just wish there was more supply for all the demand.
    Oh, there's plenty of supply, it's just all eBay scalpers selling it for 600 or 700 bucks.

Keyboard Turner
    3+ Year Old Account
    What mobo, CPU and Memory did you get? That information will help us with compatibility and I am happy to help you get to the bottom of this.

Quote Originally Posted by Vegas82 View Post
    This is fucking hilarious.
    1 post, probably an indian scam call center.

Quote Originally Posted by anon5123 View Post
    Oh, there's plenty of supply, it's just all eBay scalpers selling it for 600 or 700 bucks.
    You mean $1k+, 600-700 would be MSRP.

Msrp on the 3060 Ti is $400-$470.
    He wasn't talking about the 3060, but the 3080.

Keyboard Turner
    3+ Year Old Account
    This is fucking hilarious.
    Alright Buddy

3060ti, but good luck actually finding one for 400-450$

We'll OP, AMD is an option if you cant wait for 30-series GPU to be in stock. Check out the reviewers on youtube.
    Youtube channel: https://www.youtube.com/c/djuntas ARPG - RTS - MMO

A used 980ti or 1080ti depending on your budget.

Quote Originally Posted by Djuntas View Post
    We'll OP, AMD is an option if you cant wait for 30-series GPU to be in stock. Check out the reviewers on youtube.
    lolwut?

6000 series cards are even more scarce on the ground than 30 series cards.