Page 11 of 23 FirstFirst ...
... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by MMOTherapist View Post
    You are doing it wrong.

You are comparing every MMO out there to WoW and deeming them a failure if they dont come close to WoW's scope.

Is like saying Cristiano Ronaldo is not rich because Bill Gates exists.
    Or saying someone is not smart because Albert Einstein is way smarter.
    I'm not asking for that much, but even assuming Steam is only like 15% of their players they're still sitting at sub 500K players.

Quote Originally Posted by Kelduril View Post
    I wouldn't define a game as a hit because of a few whalers. We have no idea how much profit it made.
    It doesn't matter if it's a few whales or a ton of smaller spends, they're making money. It's a success.

But why do we care about how much money they made. The better question is, do you have people to play with? And the answer is... not really?
    Money made determines success for a product. Your friends not being interested in playing is a personal issue.

Steam released 3 years ago and its peak time is pretty sad. Also you can argue that they're a minority but when Steam released the game went down to 10$ or something? Pretty sure I spent more on it at launch.
    Not at all, 60K largely new concurrent users? Those are big numbers regardless. And yeah, it was $5-10 on Steam, but that's the price for the game through their launcher as well. The game makes most of its money off of MTX, not game sales.

It had a few hundred. Which compared to WoW is microscopic.
    Yeah, that's tiny. Not exactly a good measure to use for success or not given that the niche roleplay community is hyper-niche in the game.

10+ Year Old Account
    I don't really fuck with LoL at all, but I'm excited to see a new MMO in development with some talent and money behind it. The closest we have is New World, but that seems like a hot mess right now. The MMO genre needs something new to spice it up and all the indie MMOs in development don't have enough production value behind them from what I've seen.

I'm not asking for that much, but even assuming Steam is only like 15% of their players they're still sitting at sub 500K players.
    500K active users isn't small, but since Kakao doesn't share player data we have no way of knowing for certain. But if they're around 500K players and still generating a tidy profit...that's still a success.

Quote Originally Posted by Daemos daemonium View Post
    The joke lore was thrown out years ago they have been building it into a rather well done world for a while now with multiple well done nations with there own positive and negative views.
    What interesting characters do they have? Cause Garen and Lux.... are not good characters.

The Unstoppable Force Lorgar Aurelian's Avatar
    7+ Year Old Account
    What interesting characters do they have? Cause Garen and Lux.... are not good characters.
    Have you actually looked into lux’s lore at all since the world was refashioned because she is a fine character, Garen not so much.

As far as other characters go there’s Zed, akali, taliyah, yasuo, swain, ect ect. Pretty much any character that has gotten a focus either with multiple short story’s or other media have come out as good characters though given how many league has there still in the minority obviously.

Hope we see some new features. Or else it'll fall into the bin with the other games that get a few months of popularity and fade into obscurity.

WoW was so successful because they "reinvented" the MMORPG without really changing the core of what makes a MMORPG really enjoyable. They took the best parts of everquest and infused a lot of quality-of-life improvements that made it a unicorn at the time.

That's a tall order for Riot.

Quote Originally Posted by Edge- View Post
    It doesn't matter if it's a few whales or a ton of smaller spends, they're making money. It's a success.
    From their point of view maybe. From the point of view of a potential new player who couldn't care less if they make money, not so much.

Money made determines success for a product
    Are you a bank?

Cyberpunk made a shitton of money. Can you honestly call its launch a success?

Not at all, 60K largely new concurrent users? Those are big numbers regardless
    Not for an MMO, no?

I don't know why you're making those " The company is doing very well as a company " arguments. No one on this forum cares if they're profitable.

" Come join this MMO with 200K players " is not a good sales pitch for a player.

From their point of view maybe. From the point of view of a potential new player who couldn't care less if they make money, not so much.
    We're talking about a different measurement than, "success", then.

Are you a bank?
    Nope, but that's generally the measure for the success or failure of a product.

Cyberpunk made a shitton of money. Can you honestly call its launch a success?
    It's profitable as a product, sure. But given the rest of the context around it, that doesn't exist for BDO, it's a bigger hit to CDPR's brand.

Not for an MMO, no?
    Yeah, actually. Not every game is WoW, can be WoW, or should be measured against WoW's playerbase. I've worked on smaller scale MMO's that saw much smaller increases in Steam player concurrency when they launched there. But since they were primarily new users, it was a huge success for the company. They got a TON of new players and their revenue spiked before the usual dipoff following a "new launch" of anything (even WoW expansions).

" Come join this MMO with 200K players " is not a good sales pitch for a player.
    It's plenty fine for me, because my measure for a "healthy playerbase" isn't "millions". Hell, most of the MMO's out right now have playerbases in the tens/hundreds of thousands and are still doing alright on average.

That BDO still gets regular updates is more important than its playerbase. Updates/support are usually a much better signifier than playerbase.

Is it confirmed that this MMO will be based on lol lore?

Field Marshal
    10+ Year Old Account
    So ya'll already forgot what Riot did with Rift? lol
    Never ever gonna give them another penny.

Quote Originally Posted by Feyr View Post
    So ya'll already forgot what Riot did with Rift? lol
    Never ever gonna give them another penny.
    Rift...the MMO? That was Trion (now gamigo since Trion is functionally dead).

10+ Year Old Account
    By all means show me their official numbers.

10mil registered, 984k daily according to the latest statistics, but you're banned so why am I even bothering?
    Quote Originally Posted by bizzy View Post
    yeh but lava is just very hot water

7+ Year Old Account
    Are they? Like does anyone who plays League actually care about the Lore? It's horribly generic and has been retconned more than WoW's.
    False, they retconned everything once. The writers since then have been playing catchup and we're just now seeing the results of this revisioning in comics, short stories, Legends of Runeterra and now Ruined King. From what I've seen of it, Runeterra's universe is surprisingly consistent and fleshed out now. There's no Elves either.

As for the folks claiming that folks don't care about League's lore, have a look for yourself.

If you don't know about Necrit then it's obvious you don't know as much about League as you think you do.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Khain View Post
    Is it confirmed that this MMO will be based on lol lore?
    Eyup, they also confirmed it's an MMORPG https://www.riotgames.com/en/mmo-recruiting
    I've been expecting them to develop an MMO since 2019, gotta admit though early 2021 was surprisingly soon. Might make an analysis video on the game's prospects.
    Last edited by RoutinelyWorgen; 2021-03-08 at 05:36 PM.
    Worgen hard, or hardly worgen?

@RoutinelyWorgen

Your post is ruthless, cold blooded and gave me a smile
    So many people are saying here LoL has no lore....glad to see someone with imba arguments with source and proof.
    They always need that "sauce"

Quote Originally Posted by RoutinelyWorgen View Post
    False, they retconned everything once. The writers since then have been playing catchup and we're just now seeing the results of this revisioning in comics, short stories, Legends of Runeterra and now Ruined King. From what I've seen of it, Runeterra's universe is surprisingly consistent and fleshed out now. There's no Elves either.

As for the folks claiming that folks don't care about League's lore, have a look for yourself.

If you don't know about Necrit then it's obvious you don't know as much about League as you think you do.

- - - Updated - - -

Eyup, they also confirmed it's an MMORPG https://www.riotgames.com/en/mmo-recruiting
    I've been expecting them to develop an MMO since 2019, gotta admit though early 2021 was surprisingly soon. Might make an analysis video on the game's prospects.
    Yet /10chars

Actually on topic I like the idea of a LoL mmo. When I played it (which I admit was a long time ago) I liked what little lore was there and always thought they could do something great with it. I'm pessimistic about so much, however I'd like for something to strike me like vanilla/BC wow did again in my lifetime. I still hold out hope.
    Last edited by EyelessCrow; 2021-03-08 at 06:33 PM.

I like the old league lore when it was just character backstory. The new lore seems pointless. We have these events, but nothing in the game really changes. Everything happens outside the game.

Quote Originally Posted by RoutinelyWorgen View Post

- - - Updated - - -

Seeing as how LoL has way more players than WoW your graph says that interest in lol lore is way smaller than interest in wow lore comparative to the playerbases.

off topic: nobbel is a pretty shite youtuber.

7+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Cazze View Post
    Seeing as how LoL has way more players than WoW your graph says that interest in lol lore is way smaller than interest in wow lore comparative to the playerbases.

off topic: nobbel is a pretty shite youtuber.
    Quote Originally Posted by SLIMCHANCE View Post
    Eh I’m not going to claim I know how many people like the lore in either game but your metric for how you gauged interest in lore is a really really bad one. I play league of legends and wow and honestly I could care less about league lore, but even when I’m browsing Reddit if a lore video pops up I’ll watch it for a minute or two and basically say to myself “cool I didn’t know this piece of the story” and then basically going back to the game and forgetting what I just listened to.

A better metric might be novel sales? Or something of this nature. Leagues play base has wow beaten tenfold easily, so if this is the top lore content creator you have for league, I would say this hurts your argument if anything.

Are you one person posting on multiple accounts to try and push a narrative?

...Whatever the case, my argument is there exists a sizeable demographic that has an interest in League's universe. Not whether or not said interest is higher relative to its playerbase when compared with WoW, that's besides the point?
    Worgen hard, or hardly worgen?

3+ Year Old Account
    If the lore is good, I will definitely check out their MMO.

All those heroes/villains they have make for lots of potential.

I also enjoy the music they had made for some characters like Veigo the Ruined king.