Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst
LastLast
    Imho arcane is vastly superior for leveling, especially now since arcane charges don't deterioate over time. You can literally one or two hit things, are completely independent from procs and the only drawback is that you might have to drink (if the mobs are stacked enough that you run out of mana).

Quote Originally Posted by Segus1992 View Post
    Arcane is far better for low levels because you can just run around 1-2 shotting things with a fully stacked Arcane Blast.

Frost becomes better when mobs start actually surviving your initial spells, as you'll have more time DPSing before the mobs reach you, and you have AoE slows to control groups easier.

Fire is really the only spec that isn't very good until you become geared, because your damage isn't bursty outside of CDs, you have no slows (unless you cast Frostbolt) and you're fragile.
    The part about fire wasn’t my experience at all. Leveling 45-60 was an absolute cake walk as fire. Mobs died in 3 globals and I was always getting procs. Maybe I was just really lucky.

With heirlooms Regen bonus added Arcane blows the other two specs out of the water for 1-50 since you can just run around and spam 4 charge AB, at 50 I prefer frost and glacial spike because Ice Lance spam hits HARD and a glacial crit one shots most quest mobs and rares are easier to handle

I think we're also conflating easier and faster. Arcane is def faster, esp. at low levels, as others have mentioned, spamming 4-charge ABs. Frost allows you to make more mistakes, esp if you're running with the water elemental, you can kite elites/bad pulls indefinitely, whereas with arcane, it's easy to get overwhelmed if you pull 3-4 mobs.

Control = power.

Frost Mage is the EPITOME of control.

5+ Year Old Account
    No, for levelling go Arcane and spam dungeons. With one spell Arcane Explosion you will do a great career.

If you want to level with frost then only with Elemental, because you will be able to actually survive.

A lot of people see Frost as safe. Since you have so many slows, and control spells.

But it really depends on how you're levelling. If you're questing Frost usually feels better since you have less down time.

Also back in the day you could AoE grind very well as Frost, and I'm not sure if the other specs provided that.

Quote Originally Posted by Cyi View Post
    The part about fire wasn’t my experience at all. Leveling 45-60 was an absolute cake walk as fire. Mobs died in 3 globals and I was always getting procs. Maybe I was just really lucky.
    you most likely used the talent that makes fireball, pyroblast and scorch crit when hitting above 85% (90%? can't remember).
    if you precast a fireball and double it with an instant pyro, both will hit at the same interval to be seen as "hitting above 85%"

end result is fireball/instant pyro into fireball/instant pyro in 2 casts.
    The above mentioned remarks, ideas and notions are simply my thought on this topic. I do not wish to aggravate, denounce or criticize anyone who, for whatever reason, may disagree.

Quote Originally Posted by select20 View Post
    Ok thanks all. I was just curious and yes I've been using Arcane because yes, so much faster.

Appreciate it. This is the first caster I've played past the low levels so I was feeling a bit lost
    Frost is just more ”Safe”.

But i don’t think frost is good nowdays, This was mostly said back when the lvling was still a bit challenging

Awsome signature and avatar made by Kuragalolz

Quote Originally Posted by Nalam the Venom View Post
    Frost is just more ”Safe”.

But i don’t think frost is good nowdays, This was mostly said back when the lvling was still a bit challenging
    Frost is still pretty good, because you can AoE while being safe due to said control. Fire will get obliterated unless you're overgearing and Arcane is just passable (they've got decent slows with War Mode on though).

If you're going mob to mob and single targeting your spec doesn't really matter, but generally Fire is going to take more damage and deal less because almost no leveling mobs can survive a full Combustion.

Better survivability and contrary to the "leveling in retail is a joke" people, mobs can smack you really hard during the last levels. Frost enables pulling 4-5 mobs and be able to kill them before they can kill you. Also consistent damage while leveling is better.

Quote Originally Posted by Segus1992 View Post
    Frost is still pretty good, because you can AoE while being safe due to said control. Fire will get obliterated unless you're overgearing and Arcane is just passable (they've got decent slows with War Mode on though).

If you're going mob to mob and single targeting your spec doesn't really matter, but generally Fire is going to take more damage and deal less because almost no leveling mobs can survive a full Combustion.
    I always assume we talk about mob to mo gameplay when talking about lvling, As i don’t think new players know much about how to AoE

Awsome signature and avatar made by Kuragalolz

7+ Year Old Account
    Because frost have great survivability and aoe and single dmg burst with full control. Besides first raids are frost speced.
    Last edited by czarek; 2021-03-02 at 02:03 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Nalam the Venom View Post
    I always assume we talk about mob to mo gameplay when talking about lvling, As i don’t think new players know much about how to AoE
    I wouldn't say even nearly the majority of levelers are new players, so that'd be strange to assume.

Because you can kill mobs before theh reach you

Quote Originally Posted by select20 View Post
    Ok thanks all. I was just curious and yes I've been using Arcane because yes, so much faster.

Appreciate it. This is the first caster I've played past the low levels so I was feeling a bit lost
    As many have stated, frost has a good combination of safety, control and AoE. For most of the leveling process, though, if you aren't mass pulling and tend to pick things off one at a time, Arcane is going to be way better.

If I had to level again, I definitely wouldn't go frost. Arcane is the way to go. You want to burst mobs down pack after pack usually in leveling so Arcane is better as it is much more burstier. Fire is much more burstier than Frost but has too much of it's damage linked with combustion so you will have some downtime waiting for that. Especially without the nightfae covenant ability to reduce CDs

Arcane is so much better for leveling nowadays. You just run around nuking things with arcane explosion and arcane barage before they start hurting you. Once you can get Chrono Shift, harder hitting, beefier enemies will never lay a finger on you again and things get even easier.

frost is good at funnelling and fun to play

Because of the CC which allows you single target without ever being hit, not to mention great aoe CC. Meanwhile Fire is a pain in the ass, same as Arcane, being mostly arena and group pve specs.

Frost's problem of course is that, just like BM hunter, it has low burst in order to make up for that CC/mobility, so low that it's barely even viable in PVP and group PVE situations.