Page 1 of 2
LastLast
    10+ Year Old Account

World First Updates, Diablo Immortal Blue Post Updates, Ghostcrawler - Riot MMO

Mythic Castle Nathria - World First Sludgefist Killed by Complexity Limit
    Complexity Limit was the first guild to kill Mythic Sludgefist, putting them ahead of the rest with 8 out of 10 bosses killed!

Diablo Immortal Blue Post Updates
    Blizzard recently posted several updates about Diablo Immortal as it enters a limited public technical Alpha. Be sure to clink the links to get all the info, but here are some highlights:

• Diablo Immortal Technical Alpha Launches
      • The primary goal of this Technical Alpha is to test server stability and client performance across a wide variety of devices.
      • Starting today, a limited amount of players from Australia who have pre-registered on the Google Play Store will get a direct invite to access the Diablo Immortal Technical Alpha.
    • Diablo Immortal Gameplay Overview
      • Diablo Immortal bridges the story between Diablo II and Diablo III.
      • Your adventure begins in Wortham, where you’ll journey through an unholy forest to the town center.
      • Dungeons in Diablo Immortal can be completed in 10-15 minutes (solo or in a party), and they are filled with monsters, gear and items.
      • Challenge Rifts let you prove your skills and earn rewards the first time you complete each difficulty level. You’ll also acquire rewards based on your placement on the weekly Challenge Rift leaderboard.
      • Elder Rifts can be modified for increased variety and rewards with Crests: a stackable, Rift-specific item new to Diablo Immortal. Using Crests, random modifiers will be added to your Rift that can add positive or negative effects to your next run. Moreover, the increased effort yields greater rewards for the entire party—using a rare Crest will guarantee a Rune drop, and a Legendary Crest will guarantee that everyone receives a Legendary Gem.
      • In Diablo Immortal, you can play alone or with any of the other adventurers you will encounter as you explore the world.
      • Westmarch is where you can access your stash, trade at the market, visit vendors (including jewelcrafters and blacksmiths who’ll help optimize your equipment), adjust the difficulty of your game, recruit fellow adventurers to join you, step into Elder Rifts, and even take on challenges posted on the city’s Bounty Boards to hunt down targets all over Sanctuary.
      • Technical alpha has 4 classes - Barbarian, Monk, Wizard and Demon Hunter. More classes will be added in future updates, including the Crusader and Necromancer.
      • Paragon leveling returns, modified from its first iteration in Diablo III to fit the gameplay of Diablo Immortal and evolve a familiar Diablo gameplay system.
    • Character And Skill Progression In Diablo Immortal
      • o create your own skill build, you have one Primary Attack slot and four Skill slots, and you can freely assign skills to these slots and reassign them on the fly.
      • They plan to make additional Paragon trees available over time.
      • Each Paragon tree offers Permanent Attributes and Specialization Skills.
    • Diablo Immortal Free To Play Approach And Values
      • Diablo Immortal will be free-to-play with optional in-app purchases.
      • They plan on supporting Diablo Immortal with a constant cadence of free content, including new gear, features, classes, stories, and areas to explore.
      • They also want to make sure every purchase feels fair and is guided by a clear set of values that place an emphasis on the player experience for all players.
      • Core mechanics are designed to be fun first, and purchases should never circumvent Diablo’s core gameplay – killing demons and getting gear! There should also be a pathway to earn most things you can pay for. And critically important is that the only way to acquire gear is by playing the game.
      • They want to provide purchase options that feel worthwhile and deepen your engagement and enjoyment of the game, and where possible the enjoyment of other players as well. Purchases should not detract from your gameplay experience.
      • Purchases should feel like a bonus, and entirely optional to enjoy Immortal. The core Diablo Immortal game experience will always be free, and you should be able to enjoy the game for hours on end whether or not you choose to spend money.
      • Examples of purchasable items are crests used with elder rifts, reforging items, and seasonal Battle Pass progression system quests with free and paid tracks. These all can be earned through gameplay as well.
      • The market is not used to acquire gear, only materials, supplementary items, and gems. This is not the Diablo III real-money auction house
      • The three primary currencies are gold, platinum, and eternal orbs (these orbs are real money only and used for purchasing platinum and other items from the store.)
    • Itemization In Diablo Immortal
      • Gear in Diablo Immortal usually has three types of stats: Base Stats, Attributes, and Magic Attributes. In addition, truly powerful items can have sockets, Legendary attributes, and more.
      • In Diablo Immortal, characters have access to 12 gear slots.
      • Rare and Legendary items can be further upgraded through a new system we’re calling item ranks.
        • Rare (yellow) items drop at rank 0, and can be raised up to rank 5 by visiting the appropriate crafters and spending the necessary crafting materials. Each additional rank adds stats to the item. Legendary items can have a rank of up to 20, and they possess an additional benefit called Bonus Attributes.
      • Charms provide between one and five unique skill rank bonuses for all classes, rolled randomly. You can break unwanted charms into skill stones, which you can then use to reroll the bonuses on other charms.
      • Runes are crafting materials obtained from Elder Rifts. There are 15 different runes, some much harder to obtain than others. Runes are used in recipes related to Legendary Gems and items.
      • Legendary gems should provide additional power to your hero, and greatly enhance their performance in combat, while providing another progression path for you to focus on.
      • One of their objectives for Diablo Immortal is to ensure you have plenty of goals to pursue. Ranking up Legendary items is but one of many progression paths; Reforging and Bonus Attributes can help you transform an excellent Legendary item you enjoy into something truly one-of-a-kind.

Ghostcrawler Working on Riot Games Possible League of Legends MMO
    Previous World of Warcraft game designer Ghostcrawler tweeted that he is now working on a "massive" game, which is more than likely an MMO set in the League of Legends universe.

Last edited by Stoy; 2020-12-18 at 07:12 PM.

It's not just a "possible" MMO, Ghostcrawler literally tweeted "It is an MMO". We could be smartasses and go "but that means it could also be a looter shooter, since he didn't specify "MMORPG", but we all know everyone means MMORPG when saying "MMO" at this point and barely anyone calls League of Legends, Diablo, Destiny or Monster Hunter "MMOs" even though it'd be probably technically correct.

I like that both Method and Echo (new Method) are near the top lol

- - - Updated - - -

Also I'd like to wish Ghostcrawler the best on his future/current project

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Shakzor View Post
    It's not just a "possible" MMO, Ghostcrawler literally tweeted "It is an MMO". We could be smartasses and go "but that means it could also be a looter shooter, since he didn't specify "MMORPG", but we all know everyone means MMORPG when saying "MMO" at this point and barely anyone calls League of Legends, Diablo, Destiny or Monster Hunter "MMOs" even though it'd be probably technically correct.
    I meant possible League of Legends MMO, not questioning that it is an MMO.

Just asking because I know next to nothing about LoL. I know the characters have backgrounds but, is there a world lore and history? Cities? Main bad guys (beyond the playable characters)?

10+ Year Old Account
    Did Method move to Twisting Nether? o.O

Or is this a different Method, considering they've added the (r) at the end of the name on that list?

The Unstoppable Force Lorgar Aurelian's Avatar
    7+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Redwyrm View Post
    Just asking because I know next to nothing about LoL. I know the characters have backgrounds but, is there a world lore and history? Cities? Main bad guys (beyond the playable characters)?
    There’s a bunch of lore and history it used to be all fluffy but they rebooted it some years ago and starting making it an actual world.

as far as bad guys go a fair amount of the playable characters are unquestionably evil with one motive or another and there’s a few big bads who aren’t playable like the ruined king.

7+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Daemos daemonium View Post
    There’s a bunch of lore and history it used to be all fluffy but they rebooted it some years ago and starting making it an actual world.

as far as bad guys go a fair amount of the playable characters are unquestionably evil with one motive or another and there’s a few big bads who aren’t playable like the ruined king.
    Same guild leader, but completely new roster.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Nordheim View Post
    Did Method move to Twisting Nether? o.O

Or is this a different Method, considering they've added the (r) at the end of the name on that list?
    same guild, whole new roster, sco still in charge as it is his company/brand, left tarren mill where the old method roster has formed a new guild called 'Echo' and are pushing for world first, method is supposedly in a state of rebuilding after the shitshow they had over the last 12 months or so.

Because new MMO's have been a hit so far, you think slapping league lore onto it will make a difference? It will flop as pretty much all new MMO's have.

I am hopeful for Riot's MMO but it will 100% be F2P so I am worried about P2W. Riot is a company that is really in touch with the commuinity. Unlike Valve and Blizzard.

Diablo Immortal, I will download it and see if it is OK once released. I don't know why Blizzard puts this much effort into it though, I never sit down to play 10+ hour sessions of gaming on a mobile. I rarely can keep going for over 30 minutes. Maybe I am wierd.

Quote Originally Posted by MiiiMiii View Post
    I am hopeful for Riot's MMO but it will 100% be F2P so I am worried about P2W. Riot is a company that is really in touch with the commuinity. Unlike Valve and Blizzard.

Diablo Immortal, I will download it and see if it is OK once released. I don't know why Blizzard puts this much effort into it though, I never sit down to play 10+ hour sessions of gaming on a mobile. I rarely can keep going for over 30 minutes. Maybe I am wierd.
    Profitability in mobile games does not lie with player's time spent on the game, but on micro-transactions used to improve your character instead of grinding (or at the very least to support a modest grinding with "pay-for-tries" packs).

The less time you spend grinding content but focus on buying stuff in the store, the more interesting it is for the editor.

Quote Originally Posted by Shakzor View Post
    Actually, MMO is a genre for games that can hold a huge amount of players in the same world. Dota, LoL, Destiny, Monster Hunter World, Overwatch etc aren't MMOs. It has nothing to do with the amount of active players, but players actually playing in a shared universe.

So it's not technically correct.

Quote Originally Posted by det View Post
    Sounds weird to me indeed. Riot being in touch with the community, yet you are worried about P2W? Blizzard and Valve NOT in touch with the community, yet you will dl Diablo Immortal?

Yeah...as usual I take the stance that maybe the people who consider themselves part of "the community" are in fact out of touch with it.

But maybe you can tell us what "the community" of Blizzard, Valve and Riot games want. And on what extensive research you base your knowledge. Extensive research and knowledge I might add that you are privileged to as an individual that the companies who literally know every move and decision we all make in their games have not?

Really it seems to be another case of "If I like / dislike it...everybody must feel the same"
    I have still not seen a single MMORPG manage to do a F2P model that is not P2W. That's why I am worried. Is that so controversial? Or are you OK with how, for instance genchin impact, a fairly popular F2P MMORPG, is financed? It's 100% P2W by my standards. Or do you disagree?

Yes, Riot is in touch with it's community. I have had periods where I played League of Legends seriously. The consensus of "man champion x is OP and x champion sucks" from the community, compared to the next patch Riot creates with balance changes, seems very in touch with the community. They always release patch notes with a developer note explaining why they did the change, and they always seems reasonable. They had community voting for next skin for my personal main, Illaoi, and let us choose based on concept art, what would be the next skin. The ingame game shop suggested pretty reasonable builds for each champion. I know games like Heroes of Newerth and Dota 2 had horrible generic suggestions that did not match the current item meta at all. The company also encourages the developers to play the game at work, making the game being developed by people that actually play the game activly. Crazy concept, I know. The employees of Riot also engage with the community activly at sites like Reddit etc. replying casually to any popular thread, while Blizzard/Valve is on a tight leash not communicating at all unless it goes trough some PR process.

It's absolutly not a case of "if I like / dislike it...everybody must feel the same". What exactly makes you say that?

Just because I don't have much faith in Diablo Immortal, why would I not give it a shot? Are you saying I am immoral just for downloading the game?

MMO genre is seeing a bit a resurgence lately, not seen anything that could justify that though. AoC is the only thing that looks interesting but I have no doubt in my mind that it's far, far too ambitious.
    I am the lucid dream
    Uulwi ifis halahs gag erh'ongg w'ssh

Quote Originally Posted by det View Post
    Sounds weird to me indeed. Riot being in touch with the community, yet you are worried about P2W? Blizzard and Valve NOT in touch with the community, yet you will dl Diablo Immortal?

Yeah...as usual I take the stance that maybe the people who consider themselves part of "the community" are in fact out of touch with it.

But maybe you can tell us what "the community" of Blizzard, Valve and Riot games want. And on what extensive research you base your knowledge. Extensive research and knowledge I might add that you are privileged to as an individual that the companies who literally know every move and decision we all make in their games have not?

Really it seems to be another case of "If I like / dislike it...everybody must feel the same"

I will have to agree with MiiiMiii 500%. Riot is definitely in touch with their community. Blizzard sure as hell is NOT. I mean I am actually blown away that Blizzard even listened, and still is, listening to the community for this current expansion. But how many years did this take to get to this point. Now if only they could take our advice for fixing up the classes, cause some are stale as hell and play like trash compared to their former selves and from other expansions. And no I am not going to mention what classes casue then that will turn this thread into a "OMG. That class doesn't need that. It is already OP".
    Be careful who you chat it up with here on these forums. If you are NOT for WoW and about WoW, people will report whatever you say and get you banned

Quote Originally Posted by MiiiMiii View Post
    I have still not seen a single MMORPG manage to do a F2P model that is not P2W. That's why I am worried. Is that so controversial? Or are you OK with how, for instance genchin impact, a fairly popular F2P MMORPG, is financed? It's 100% P2W by my standards. Or do you disagree?
    Genshin Impact isn't an mmorpg, though, at all. It's an open world gacha game that happens to have a multiplayer feature. It is predominantly a single player game. Not saying Genshin Impact's monetization isn't shitty (it is) but it is just a bad example of a problematic F2P MMORPG model because it just isn't one. I'm sure there's some better bad P2W mmorpg examples out there than Genshin Impact.

Path of Exile is more of an mmorpg than Genshin Impact is and the only P2W aspect of that game is dropping 30 bucks on some stash tabs to have a decent amount of space and easily trade items. The rest of its monetization is in cosmetic items. It's also not an mmorpg though.
    Last edited by arc343; 2020-12-18 at 11:41 PM.

Diablo Immortal
    wait thats real? thought it was a really badly timed april fools joke.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Scrod View Post
    So they had some version of Diablo Immortal at Blizzcon 2018 that people could play at the event. Now 2 years later, they're just getting to "technical alpha"? What are the aiming for, a 2030 release date?

Not that it matters, no one wants this game.
    The game is being developed for the Asian, predominantly the Chinese market where players are much more accepting of this whole P2W/MTX/Gatcha garbage.
    I doubt Blizzard seriously expects this thing to take off in the West at this point.

15+ Year Old Account
    I was excited for diablo for a moment, then noticed it's the mobile game.