Page 1 of 73
... LastLast

Shadowlands: Rapidly Climbing the Ladder in Popularity

So far, this expansion is on par to be my new favorite. It has already knocked TBC out of 2nd place and is heavily breathing down the neck of WotLK for first. I came into this game Jan 19, 2006, and after Cataclysm, have just not been impressed with the expansions that followed. Granted, that is just my personal, subjective opinion. I am speaking for no one but myself, nor am I claiming my opinion to be imperical data on the state of the other expacs.

Is anyone else either seeing Shadowlands move into their number one spot, or at least rapidly climbing the ranks? I know we still have a ways to go in this expac, but if 9.1 and 9.2 are anything like the launch, I have no doubt this expac will apologize for the last 4 in my book and become the new number one on my list.
    Last edited by OMGTwitchTV; 2021-03-08 at 12:23 AM. Reason: Adjusted DLC verbiage and removed redundant statement.
    “Be the change you want to see in the world.” ~ Mahatma Gandhi

7+ Year Old Account
    So far I'm enjoying it. Will save final judgement for how it is at the end. WoD was also super fun for the first 2 months, but they did nothing interesting with it for the next 2 years, which is why everyone seemed to hate it by the end. Some expansions are fun the whole way through (like Legion), others have high points and low points that need to be evened out for a final evaluation.

Quote Originally Posted by Mask View Post
    So far I'm enjoying it. Will save final judgement for how it is at the end. WoD was also super fun for the first 2 months, but they did nothing interesting with it for the next 2 years, which is why everyone seemed to hate it by the end. Some expansions are fun the whole way through (like Legion), others have high points and low points that need to be evened out for a final evaluation.
    For me, WoD felt like TBC 2.0 and was overly unoriginal save for Garrisonville. But when 6.1 rolled around and we got Twitter feeds and a SELFIE cam, I knew that expac was doomed XD
    “Be the change you want to see in the world.” ~ Mahatma Gandhi

Ehh, I dunno. WoD really started to lose steam for me shortly after I reach level 100, because there was no outdoor content to do other than one single Apexis daily, if I didn't build the inn/tavern in my garrison for 1-2 dungeon dailies. There was... nothing. No world events, no daily hubs, rares were few and far between and didn't drop much alluring loot...

For context, I don't find grinding mobs for +2/3 rep points particularly engaging, nor do I find PvP engaging, either.

But I am quite liking Shadowlands, yeah.

I have yet to play shadowlands.
    But based on the overabundance of lame sylvanas, the still not repaired classes and the lame jailer villain are enough to make sure shadowlands can't get in the top 4 of my fav wow expansions.

But that still makes it possible it could prove better than wod, bfa and cata.

Shadowlands is quite good. I just wish they would stop nerfing all of the content.
    Scheduled weekly maintenance caught me by surprise.

I agree with WoD. I had arguably the most fun playing WoW during the first few months of WoD. Garrison Invasions, Apex farming, gearing, leveling, and hunting for followers and the first 2 raids were awesome. After/during the 2nd raid things just went to shit.

Quote Originally Posted by GnomeWarlock View Post
    For me, WoD felt like TBC 2.0 and was overly unoriginal save for Garrisonville. But when 6.1 rolled around and we got Twitter feeds and a SELFIE cam, I knew that expac was doomed XD
    Vanilla had the weather patch and BC had the voice chat patch.
    The most difficult thing to do is accept that there is nothing wrong with things you don't like and accept that people can like things you don't.

Quote Originally Posted by Aleksej89 View Post
    But based on the overabundance of lame sylvanas, the still not repaired classes and the lame jailer villain are enough to make sure shadowlands can't get in the top 4 of my fav wow expansions.

But that still makes it possible it could prove better than wod, bfa and cata.
    We've seen Sylvanas like one time. You're free to your opinions but it seems odd to make a judgement without first hand experience. This isn't me trying to defend SL, it has some serious flaws IMO (Thorgast lacking rewards for repetition), just correcting what some people assume about an expansion while being way off.
    The wise wolf who's pride is her wisdom isn't so sharp as drunk.

Quote Originally Posted by Aleksej89 View Post
    But
    Love seeing these lmao why are you still here then

10+ Year Old Account
    I'm already getting bored. Dungeons aren't super interesting or fun, Classes are still basic and boring, questing and story are still generic, and I spend more time alt tabbed while auto running or flying to quests/areas than I have in pretty much any other time in the games history except Vanilla. The only big win in SL is the art, but Blizzards art team has always been on point.

Torghast is a mixed bag but over all it's simply unfun after a handful of runs, it's a crappy excuse for a rogue-like that's poorly balanced and clearly Blizzard was no where near finishing it, I've poured hundreds of hours into games like Rogue Legacy, Hades, Dead Cells ect, and Torghast had some of the biggest problems that rogue-likes can have, from massive variance in runs (There should be variance for rogue-likes obviously, but when it's as big as Torghasts could be from run to run it causes issues) to having floor 1 be the hardest. I realize a lot of this has already been fixed, but I already had a sour taste in my mouth and that's not going away any time soon, I was looking forward to it big time and Blizzard dropped crap on my plate and is now trying to polish it and tell me it isn't shite.

The first couple months are usually the best time of an expansion/patch, and I'm really trying to like it, I have two characters at 60, I've been going through campaigns and such and there's just nothing that grabs me, but plenty that stands out as bad or things that simply felt unfinished.
    Last edited by Jazzhands; 2020-12-19 at 05:41 AM.

Quite the opposite. Aside from fairly ok dungeons, fairly ok raid (better than first one in BfA) everything else feels pointless.
    Loot feels bad, story is mediocre as always so no changes here, torghast was suppose to be the blast till they nerfed fun out of it (I honestly had more fun with expeditions with good items). World quests seems exceptionally bad, I wanted to have some more "world events" but current state is that just 2-3 quests lumped together and branded as one.
    Battle pets didn't receive a single fun content. Weekly quest diversity is non existent and adventure table is probably the worst implementation of auto chess I have ever seen.

Im enjoying it now because its new. But once that wears off it will be probably worse than MoP.

Hard to put SL in the context of a discussion about best expansions because it's still so early. However, even this early in BFA I think it was easy to see how bad it was going to be. Azerite Traits / Heart of Azeroth might be one of the worst designed systems ever put in the game. Warfronts and Expeditions had a neat foundation but they were a major disappointment. They never tried to fix them.

There's really no major flaws with SL. Things can be improved... Torghast can feel more rewarding, the covenant campaign time gating should be removed, and pvp is kinda wacky atm. But overall people seem to be having fun. And that's really all that matters.

If they put in Challenge Mode / Mage Tower content in with Torghast - hoping its for the legendary set transmog - that would be my main wish for this expansion.

We'll see in about a month / after the holidays if people are still sticking around.

Quote Originally Posted by ro9ue View Post
    Hard to put SL in the context of a discussion about best expansions because it's still so early. However, even this early in BFA I think it was easy to see how bad it was going to be. Azerite Traits / Heart of Azeroth might be one of the worst designed systems ever put in the game. Warfronts and Expeditions had a neat foundation but they were a major disappointment. They never tried to fix them.
    Actually azerite traits were one of the best designed systems in entire game. Their only problem was early acquisition. And I had a blast with expeditions however they were abandoned like probably torghast will be this expansion. Warfronst were good idea and bad implementation.
    I definitely had more fun at beginning of BfA than now.

But based on the overabundance of lame sylvanas,
    Sylvanas is basically not present in this expansion thus far.
    Owner of ONEAzerothTV
    Tanking, Blood DK Mythic+ Pugging, Soloing and WoW Challenges alongside other discussions about all things in World of Warcraft
    ONEAzerothTV

10+ Year Old Account
    It's solid, but nothing has really given me a sense of wonder and adventure like Kul' Tiras and Zandalar did in BFA. I'm also not hugely into the theme of this expansion (I find death-themed stuff rather boring) or more of Sylvanas' BS schemes and machinations. She's rapidly approaching Xanatos levels of plotting and scheming and it really needs to come to an end as quickly as possible.

Let's wait for the new expansion high to wear off before starting the rankings. Blizzard isn't even done nerfing the content the expansion shipped with and the raid hasn't even been cleared.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Halfaheart View Post
    Love seeing these lmao why are you still here then
    because they've been coming here even longer than you.

Mechagnome
    15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by terminaltrip421 View Post
    because they've been coming here even longer than you.
    Doubt it, and ya they can definitely just chill and vibe somewhere else. It's what I did for BFA and WoD.

On Topic: This expansion has been pretty wildly good, removal of the dumb extra roll for loot mechanic was just stupid RNG layered onto more RNG. Story-content is well done so far and closed off and truly experiencing each of the covenants paints a fuller picture of what's going on. 9/10 Expac imo.
    Quote Originally Posted by Surreal
    grim toll is the worst trinket you could get for survival. Hands down Meteorite wheat stone is better than it.

7+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Jazzhands View Post
    I'm already getting bored. Dungeons aren't super interesting or fun, Classes are still basic and boring, questing and story are still generic, and I spend more time alt tabbed while auto running or flying to quests/areas than I have in pretty much any other time in the games history except Vanilla. The only big win in SL is the art, but Blizzards art team has always been on point.

Torghast is a mixed bag but over all it's simply unfun after a handful of runs, it's a crappy excuse for a rogue-like that's poorly balanced and clearly Blizzard was no where near finishing it, I've poured hundreds of hours into games like Rogue Legacy, Hades, Dead Cells ect, and Torghast had some of the biggest problems that rogue-likes can have, from massive variance in runs (There should be variance for rogue-likes obviously, but when it's as big as Torghasts could be from run to run it causes issues) to having floor 1 be the hardest. I realize a lot of this has already been fixed, but I already had a sour taste in my mouth and that's not going away any time soon, I was looking forward to it big time and Blizzard dropped crap on my plate and is now trying to polish it and tell me it isn't shite.

The first couple months are usually the best time of an expansion/patch, and I'm really trying to like it, I have two characters at 60, I've been going through campaigns and such and there's just nothing that grabs me, but plenty that stands out as bad or things that simply felt unfinished.
    Feeling the same way - at this point I don't think i'll renew my sub. I dunno, BFA "killed" wow for me personally and SL just feels too much like BFA for me to get the spark back.