Page 1 of 8
... LastLast
    10+ Year Old Account

Why is blizzard so against PvE badge gear?

It worked in cata. It worked in wrath. It sort of worked in mop but it was gimmicky. Ever since then there has been maybe one patch per expansion with badge gear. I don’t understand why they can’t just bring back valor points? Running a daily heroic felt good. Finally upgrading a low ilvl piece you had due to a bad luck streak felt good. Getting shards once you can’t get anymore upgrades from the vendor felt good.

Why the helll don’t they just bring this back? Why are they so adamant to make gear purely RNG?
    Last edited by Ladey Gags; 2020-12-20 at 01:35 AM.

rng makes you spend more time grinding, more time staying subscribed.

Because the current system is infinitely better

I got geared much easier in SL than I did back in WOTLK, faster too. First set that allowed me to skip Normal grinding = from the AH. The rest I got from HC dungeons, then Mythic, now raiding.

I'll take getting the gear from the source over farming a currency that I'll have to wait to spend at a vendor to get actually useful pieces, all the while selling every piece that drops for me in the dungeons as I cap the currency, tyvm. My memory of WOTLK's currencies was that people capped them for the week, then sat in cities waiting for reset.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by LedZeppelin View Post
    Because the current system is infinitely better
    Also this ^.

I mean even valor had a cap but the reality is it's probably due to M+
    *Insert every single ridiculous PC parts detail here that no one cares about*

this explains everything you want to know

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=urijgWXLYck&t=8m20s

im too tired to make a tldr though...so please watch

The Patient
    5+ Year Old Account
    OP.... I do agree with you. I had totally forgotten about the badges we used to farm. It was a way to make folks band together which seems to be the theme of SL. I did like the idea of having an attainable goal on a timetable that wasn't months down the road. Running Heroics with a pug was infinitely better than the M+ scene now for lower geared players. Good thoughts from you!!

Quote Originally Posted by Metrox View Post
    OP.... I do agree with you. I had totally forgotten about the badges we used to farm. It was a way to make folks band together which seems to be the theme of SL. I did like the idea of having an attainable goal on a timetable that wasn't months down the road. Running Heroics with a pug was infinitely better than the M+ scene now for lower geared players. Good thoughts from you!!
    If you're waiting months to be geared now, you're doing it wrong. But yeah, that's exactly how I remember WOTLK. People waiting to spend their currency at a vendor in X time, rather than doing content throughout the week.

And M+ is literally a way for people to "band together". Pug life was always cancer, but there's such a thing as guilds and friends.

Quote Originally Posted by Ladey Gags View Post
    It worked in cata. It worked in wrath. It sort of worked in mop but it was gimmicky. Ever since then there has been maybe one patch per expansion with badge gear. I don’t understand why they can’t just bring back valor points? Running a daily heroic felt good. Finally upgrading a low ilvl piece you had due to a bad luck streak felt good. Getting shards once you can’t get anymore upgrades from the vendor felt good.

Why the helll don’t they just bring this back? Why are they so adamant to make gear purely RNG?
    Because unless they have a huge assortment of gear with every possible class combination they'd be inundated with complaints that the gear is suboptimal for <insert spec here>? I remember those all the time. "Shitty Blizz, the only leather gloves the vendor sells are X and X, they're crap for me!"
    The most difficult thing to do is accept that there is nothing wrong with things you don't like and accept that people can like things you don't.

Because fixing low droprates with zero bad luck protection with another retarded system that just makes you grind the same content to get that bad luck protection is not a solution. It just trying to patch leaking dam with a powertape.

Think for a second, you are doing M+ to get gear, RNG fucks you over and over again, you are not getting anything useful. Then weekly bingo vault lottery spits in your face.
    So your solution is to run shit versions (or same level version) of the same dungeons or even do some quests to get yourself subpar item that is worse (or same level) than drop from M+ dungeon itself?

Quote Originally Posted by Shadoowpunk View Post

yep. ppls, watch the video. explains it all. (serious)

but for me personally, i agree zero to the videos conclusion. i way more stick to old rob pardos and jeff kaplans semantics here. but in the end it is simply a matter of opinion. my opinion is based first and foremost on the base pattern, that WoW is NOT Diablo (or at least WAS NOT, in the past) and loot, reward structure and game systems behaviour works entirely different between the two. Original WoW game design (which has nothing to do with actual WoW game design) had totally another goals and works entirely different. everything whats said in the video adopt not very well to classical MMORPG game design, goals and gaming „reasons“. imo.

so, that said, in the end of the day its maybe more a question about what WoW is or should be. The video is 100% accurate about modern WoW. 0% accurate for classical WoW. In my opinion. so, for actual SL designed WoW, its accurate. the WoW, derailed from its original design 10 parsecs far away, is just my problem, not the games or the videos problem.

so, as is said, its just a question about WoW game design in general. If you are good to go with SL WoW game design, the video is totally accurate. if we talk more about a classic, vanilla, TBC, Wrath game design, the video conclusions are totally fail.

but this is just my opinion.
    Last edited by Niwes; 2020-12-20 at 02:05 AM.

The Patient
    5+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by cparle87 View Post
    Because unless they have a huge assortment of gear with every possible class combination they'd be inundated with complaints that the gear is suboptimal for <insert spec here>? I remember those all the time. "Shitty Blizz, the only leather gloves the vendor sells are X and X, they're crap for me!"
    And then we could reforge the stats we wanted later on when it was implemented. I agree that some vendor gear didn't have the good stats that someone might want, but you could always raid for better. The Heroic badge stuff wasn't so much for higher end folks anyway. It was for us who wanted a reliable source for farmable gear. It was a nice system for alts too. Reforging gets a bad rap.....it required some investigation if you wanted to get better stats and dump your worst. That was nice since for some it had a good feel that you were tuning your own gear. For others, they didn't care and just wore whatever they bought without modification. It worked just fine for me.

Quote Originally Posted by kaminaris View Post
    Because fixing low droprates with zero bad luck protection with another retarded system that just makes you grind the same content to get that bad luck protection is not a solution. It just trying to patch leaking dam with a powertape.

Think for a second, you are doing M+ to get gear, RNG fucks you over and over again, you are not getting anything useful. Then weekly bingo vault lottery spits in your face.
    So your solution is to run shit versions (or same level version) of the same dungeons or even do some quests to get yourself subpar item that is worse (or same level) than drop from M+ dungeon itself?
    Gearing in PvP feels great right now. You buy the gear you want with conquest points and then you upgrade it with honor points. The better your rank is the more you can upgrade it. They should definitely make a similar system for M+.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by cparle87 View Post
    I guess they could just have the same assortment that they do now?

Quote Originally Posted by Shadoowpunk View Post

Perfect answer

The vault handles all that pretty easily. Sure, some RNG is in play but now that you get 1-3 options per avenue of game play with a possible 9 options if you just play the game. It also never runs out. The Cata example did give you some good pieces for the first month or so but after you bought those 2-3 pieces it was next to meaningless. The vault will just keep on going and evolve with you as you get better. It will never stop giving. Even if RNG sometimes means you might not get exactly what you want. It is in the end a far far far more generous and flexible system. I wouldn't doubt if by the end of SL some people are crying about it being to giving but I don't mind it.

Quote Originally Posted by Metrox View Post
    And then we could reforge the stats we wanted later on when it was implemented. I agree that some vendor gear didn't have the good stats that someone might want, but you could always raid for better. The Heroic badge stuff wasn't so much for higher end folks anyway. It was for us who wanted a reliable source for farmable gear. It was a nice system for alts too. Reforging gets a bad rap.....it required some investigation if you wanted to get better stats and dump your worst. That was nice since for some it had a good feel that you were tuning your own gear. For others, they didn't care and just wore whatever they bought without modification. It worked just fine for me.
    Reforging only let you set aside a portion of the stats. I was mostly making fun of the insane super tryhard guys in my post. Back in WoD one ret pally in my guild went on such a rip snorting rampage finding out the leggo ring had his worst stat the GM had to kick him. I simmed his character out of boredom and vers was his worst stat by literally 0.1% and all were within 0.75% of each other.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Kaver View Post
    Gearing in PvP feels great right now. You buy the gear you want with conquest points and then you upgrade it with honor points. The better your rank is the more you can upgrade it. They should definitely make a similar system for M+.

- - - Updated - - -

I guess they could just have the same assortment that they do now?
    You mean one piece for two or three slots?
    The most difficult thing to do is accept that there is nothing wrong with things you don't like and accept that people can like things you don't.

The renown sets upgrade to ilvl200 which is better than base mythic and just require chapter 8 of the campaign to unlock (i think 3 weeks from now) Which will be easy to get once its unlocked for alts. There is really no need for badge gear atm. Maybe in patch .1 but they could just up the ilvl the renown set can be upgraded to and make that the easy catch up set.

Pit Lord
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Queen of Hamsters View Post
    I got geared much easier in SL than I did back in WOTLK, faster too. First set that allowed me to skip Normal grinding = from the AH. The rest I got from HC dungeons, then Mythic, now raiding.

I'll take getting the gear from the source over farming a currency that I'll have to wait to spend at a vendor to get actually useful pieces, all the while selling every piece that drops for me in the dungeons as I cap the currency, tyvm. My memory of WOTLK's currencies was that people capped them for the week, then sat in cities waiting for reset.

- - - Updated - - -

Also this ^.
    you act like people in wotlk werent also getting gear from current tier raids. They were. They were also able to supplement current tier with valor/justice token gear while at the same time running those late tier raids for loot. Your memory fails you and the current system is worse in every arguable way.

Also never forget under that system you could still wear any gear type your class could wear which was better and since you had multiple options it was easier to target stats. Plus... reforging. Everything was better then except there was no M+

Eh...thing with badge gear is when you raid by the time you have enough badges to buy something...everything is useless

The valor system was fine, but what I really miss was the upgrade system. Man I would stay subbed for so much longer if I knew every week one of my pieces would be 6 ilvl higher.