Page 27 of 54 FirstFirst ...
... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by Orange Joe View Post

finding it weird something didn't die = being surprised it didn't die.
    Why do people keep saying this? Weird =\= surprised or unbelievable. In any context people replace unbelievable with weird it’s because they directly don’t want to tell the other person they don’t believe them. That’s when you get the “I find it weird that…” but that’s not because weird = unbelievable it’s because the person is using “weird” to hide their intent.

Same thing with surprised, you can find something weird and not be surprised. I mean for most people there’s probably things you see every day that you find odd, but aren’t surprised by anymore.

It’s just kind of weird to argue the semantics of what someone meant…
    www.twitch.tv/rtrain

Free Agent! Looking for Guild for Legion!

7+ Year Old Account
    A long time ago in a galaxy far, far away
    Quote Originally Posted by Rtrain View Post
    Why do people keep saying this? Weird =\= surprised or unbelievable. In any context people replace unbelievable with weird it’s because they directly don’t want to tell the other person they don’t believe them. That’s when you get the “I find it weird that…” but that’s not because weird = unbelievable it’s because the person is using “weird” to hide their intent.

Same thing with surprised, you can find something weird and not be surprised. I mean for most people there’s probably things you see every day that you find odd, but aren’t surprised by anymore.

The issue is he is using semantics to say he was strawmanned while using terminology that supports "unbelievable" being a correct description of his argument, despite him not literally saying the word "unbelievable." No one is arguing he is hiding something, just that his argument he was "strawmanned" is false. Later on he said he found it suspicious, which is to doubt it survivability. Weird, unbelievable, and doubtful are all acceptable ways to describe his position.

Strawmanned is more than just substituting a word, it has to objectively weaken or alter the argument negatively. Saying he found it unbelievable does neither of those things, therefore cannot be by definition a strawman. He is using the accusation of strawman to discount the arguments against his position rather than actually counter the argument.

That's what people are on him about. We don't think he is hiding, we just think he is being ridiculous in his accusation
    Last edited by Darththeo; 2022-01-25 at 01:38 PM.
    Peace is a lie. There is only passion. Through passion I gain strength. Through strength I gain power.
    Through power I gain victory. Through victory my chains are broken. The Force shall set me free.
    –The Sith Code

The impression I am getting from this show, aka my opinion, is episode to episode it isn't insanely strong, but when you put the whole thing up it is pretty good. Of course they can blow it or totally make it in the last 3 here so grain of salt. Makes me feel like they adapted the movie script and stretched it to to a season of television. Or they fell into the trap almost all current TV shows fall into where they give you something strong up front to wet the apatite and then string you along until the last 2-3 where the whole show actually happens.

7+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Darththeo View Post
    The issue is he is using semantics to say he was strawmanned while using terminology that supports "unbelievable" being a correct description of his argument, despite him not literally saying the word "unbelievable."
    The issue here is that you got called out when you made a strawman to attack, and simple can't give up, thats you just can't stop rehashing this same subject derailing the thread non stop, and seeking affirmation in other comments.

I never said the sarlac not dying was unbelievable, period. You said i did. Its entirely your problem if you took other words and assume/pretended it could mean what you want. Finding something weird or being surprised that something happens, doesn't equal of something being unbelievable, no matter how you want to spin this..

But, you know what is rly unbelievable? you still going on, blowing up steam from a throw way comment about an alien beast in a disney show.
    Last edited by Syegfryed; 2022-01-25 at 02:22 PM.

7+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Syegfryed View Post
    The issue here is that you got called out when you made a strawman to attack, and simple can't give up, thats you just can't stop rehashing this same subject derailing the thread non stop, and seeking affirmation in other comments.

I never said the sarlac not dying was unbelievable, period. You said i did. Its entirely your problem if you took other words and assume/pretended it could mean what you want. Finding something weird or being surprised that something happens, doesn't equal of something being unbelievable, no matter how you want to spin this..

But, you know what is rly unbelievable? you still going on, blowing up steam from a throw way comment about an alien beast in a disney show.
    I am not responding to you, I am responding to other people who have questions on your behavior.

You have a different definition of strawman than literally everyone else on the planet. You don't have a point and you assume challenging your statement is attacking you. I can't deal with someone who argues more dishonestly than a politician.

I literally have explained to you and others how unbelievable fits your argument and your only argument is "I didn't say that word." That's not what a strawman is. You haven't shown how it weakened your stance, which is the requirements for strawmanning. You just cry strawman because its a buzz term you heard.

The kicker if I accept your definition of strawmanned, by the same logic, you have literally strawmanned in every argument I have ever seen you in. So you only have a problem with "strawmanning" when it isn't done by you. I AM DONE WITH YOU. You want the last word, go ahead. But, I honestly don't care about your wrong opinions anymore.
    Last edited by Darththeo; 2022-01-25 at 02:29 PM.
    Peace is a lie. There is only passion. Through passion I gain strength. Through strength I gain power.
    Through power I gain victory. Through victory my chains are broken. The Force shall set me free.
    –The Sith Code

7+ Year Old Account
    I am not responding to you, I am responding to other people who have questions on your behavior.

You have a different definition of strawman than literally everyone else on the planet. You don't have a point and you assume challenging your statement is attacking you. I can't deal with someone who argues more dishonestly than a politician.
    Your point is that i said the Sarlac surviving was unbelievable. That was a point i never made, you made it to attack, therefore, you made a strawman. Literally.

No matter how you try to spin that "the words you said actually mean what i want then to mean" , finding something weird or being surprised that something happens, doesn't equal of thinking something is unbelievable. The joke is entirely on you wanting to die on this hill.
    Last edited by Syegfryed; 2022-01-25 at 02:33 PM.

7+ Year Old Account
    Your point is that i said the Sarlac surviving was unbelievable. That was a point i never made, you made it to attack, therefore, you made a strawman. Literally.

No matter how you try to spin that "the words you said actually mean what i want then to mean" , finding something weird or being surprised that something happens, doesn't equal of thinking something is unbelievable. The joke is entirely on you wanting to die on this hill.
    You heard it folks. In Syegfryed world, synonyms are not a thing. Using words that have the same meanings as terms used by another is strawmanning and attacking.

We are done here. This is pathetic you think I am the one "dying on a hill" here. Stop projecting.
    –The Sith Code

10+ Year Old Account
    The only 2 things I hate about this show is the cyberpunk kids and their damn scooters and boba fett obsession with saying his name and taking off helmet all the god damn time.

Otherwise I like the show. Cant wait for mandol next episode

7+ Year Old Account
    You heard it folks. In Syegfryed world, synonyms are not a thing. Using words that have the same meanings as terms used by another is strawmanning and attacking.

We are done here. This is pathetic you think I am the one "dying on a hill" here. Stop projecting.
    Unbelievable is not a synonym of weird neither surprised in the context of the comment, unbelievable is used to when someone is unable to believe that said thing is true, or thinking something is so big/extraordinary that it can't possible be true, and i never implied that, at all, but your argument was based around that i thought it was "unbelievable."

And you trying to push that just show you, indeed, did a strawman and want to cope out. For the third time today: Finding something weird, does not equal of finding it unbelievable, by example, you can find a lot of things weird in different cultures and not necessary find then unbelievable.

And come on, you know very well "you are not done", its just a matter time until you and/or someone else(i wonder who) drag this out again.

7+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Skayth View Post
    The only 2 things I hate about this show is the cyberpunk kids and their damn scooters and boba fett obsession with saying his name and taking off helmet all the god damn time.

But how else would you know that He is Boba Fett.

Yeah, the scooters and kids were out of place. They could have fit in a bit better, minor changes and they work loads better. It was more a design choice than a bad idea imo.
    –The Sith Code

The Unstoppable Force Orange Joe's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Rtrain View Post

Any way you word it he didn't expect it to live. Thats the point. Whether you found it weird/surprising/odd/funny/crappy insert whatever adjective you want in this case and they all pretty much mean the same thing.

- - - Updated - - -

if it's not unbelievable, why is it weird?

- - - Updated - - -

That is not what strawman means LITERALLY!
    MMO-Champ the place where calling out trolls get you into more trouble than trolling.

The Undying
    15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Skayth View Post

I thought the scooter/cyberpunk kids was a good plot pivot, giving Boba Fett more muscle. The scooter scene itself was cringey though.

What's bothering me is that the guy playing Boba Fett just isn't that good of an actor.

Quote Originally Posted by Vegas82 View Post
    It’s probably why a huge segment involved him not speaking any dialogue.
    I agree that he's not the greatest actor, but I don't think the "silent" pacing of the show is because of that. The entire show feels very deliberately paced, with sparse dialogue - not just in scenes involving Boba Fett. That's just the cinematic style they were going for, I think, not a consideration for the actor.

Quote Originally Posted by Vegas82 View Post
    It’s probably why a huge segment involved him not speaking any dialogue. Nothing against the guy, but he leaves something to be desired.
    Boba not speaking much probably has more to do with the fact that Boba, in the Star Wars series as a whole, doesn't speak much.

7+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Egomaniac View Post
    Boba not speaking much probably has more to do with the fact that Boba, in the Star Wars series as a whole, doesn't speak much.
    Pretty much, Boba isn't really much of a talker in the expanded universe.

Though, who knows if that would have been different if we got 1313.

Like even in his appearance in Clone Wars, he isn't really talkative.
    –The Sith Code

The Undying
    15+ Year Old Account
    Even so, the times he does speak are not great. Mandalorian did far better and he never took his helmet off. They just got the wrong guy for this role, even if he was the "right" one.

7+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by cubby View Post
    Even so, the times he does speak are not great. Mandalorian did far better and he never took his helmet off. They just got the wrong guy for this role, even if he was the "right" one.
    Wait? Who doesn't remove their Helmet in the Mandalorian? Because both Din and Boba remove their helmet in that series.
    –The Sith Code

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Biomega View Post
    Hard to say. He definitely burned the kid's stick, which could allude to it being dead and them just not wanting to show the body... Or it could be that the kid survived (maybe with the help of the black warrior?). Time will tell.
    True. Tusken warrior sensei waifu is one of the few characters that make me perk up whenever they're on screen, and all she does is grunt and smack people with a stick. I watched the massacre aftermath again, and either Disney+ understandably didn't want to show dead kids, or they weren't there to begin with.
    Need Roll - 1 for [Bright Pink Imbued Mageweave Banana-Hammock] by Ayirasi

The Undying
    15+ Year Old Account
    Wait? Who doesn't remove their Helmet in the Mandalorian? Because both Din and Boba remove their helmet in that series.
    I'm just saying that the Mandalorian barely/ever took his helmet off, whereas Boba has it off more than he has it on. And THAT dynamic still didn't help Boba's acting - Mandalorian is far better acting.

5+ Year Old Account
    Worst part of the vespa kidz thing, we are literally in the city of pod-racing...