View Poll Results: Which side between the two countries do you generally support?

Voters
47. You may not vote on this poll
  • China

    3 6.38%
  • India

    24 51.06%
  • Neither side / I'm not sure which side to support

    20 42.55%
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst
1
2
3
4
LastLast
  1. #41
    Quote Originally Posted by Shadowferal View Post
    Always startling to hear of the high illiteracy rate in India. And is it still 50% for women? I have to wonder at the "world's largest democracy."
    It really is, even with half of women being illiterate. Do remember that India has 1.35 billion people and is very close to overtaking China as the most populous country in the world. Second largest democracy is USA, which has "only" 330 million.

    Though as others pointed out - the democracy overall is quite shaky there, with huge contrasts between the big cities and countryside and full of nationalistic fervour/hate/propaganda. Everything from high tech to almost literal middle ages for peasantry.
    Quote Originally Posted by Shadoowpunk View Post
    Take that haters.
    IF IM STUPID, so is Donald Trump.

  2. #42
    Merely a Setback Adam Jensen's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2010
    Location
    Sarif Industries, Detroit
    Posts
    28,748
    Quote Originally Posted by Gestopft View Post
    (Tries to decide which one has better food)
    Slight favor to China then.

    But I do enjoy a good curry.

  3. #43
    Quote Originally Posted by Valkyrst View Post
    Democracy in India is a bit of a joke. It’s always just about who tricks the uneducated the best. As far as ‘westernised’ goes, you’re looking only at the main cities. The rest of the country is still in the past. Worse still, the current regime is pitting communities at each other on a far more dangerous scale than even Trump is. Even though I’m from India, I wouldn’t support them. Neither would I support China. They’re both equally bad.
    India's clashes with Pakistan over Kashmir concerns strategic control over critical water resources rather than religion, a secondary factory; the Indus has ever been the original source of ancient Vedic teachings and Indian civilization, so there are cultural sentiments as well. If India controls all of the region, Pakistan's entire economy would be seriously weakened, and New Delhi could block off access to the Indus at any time. Hence their water treaty.

    The Indus originates from the Tibetan plateau (which is the source of China's civilizational Yellow River as well, a possible reason why they secured Tibet), and China and India are also at disputes over control over the Brahmaputra River's water resources. If they truly wanted to, they could block off a considerable amount of access to either river, potentially killing millions in a time of open war with each other's enemies.

    https://archive.siasat.com/news/indi...utary-1032181/
    http://reuters.com/article/india-chi...-idUSKBN28B4RB

  4. #44
    Banned Yadryonych's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Location
    Матушка Россия
    Posts
    1,427
    Quote Originally Posted by Valkyrst View Post
    Democracy in India is a bit of a joke. It’s always just about who tricks the uneducated the best.
    Implying democracy works the other way around somewhere else

  5. #45
    Quote Originally Posted by Yadryonych View Post
    Implying democracy works the other way around somewhere else
    Implying there is something better? Or just a "freethinker.jpg", eh?
    Quote Originally Posted by Shadoowpunk View Post
    Take that haters.
    IF IM STUPID, so is Donald Trump.

  6. #46
    Me AND my country? Sometimes, I disagree with positions taken by my country. And Im not going to support those positions just because a few motherfuckers decided they talked in the name of the nation.

  7. #47
    The Undying cubby's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2007
    Location
    the Quiet Room
    Posts
    30,534
    Interesting question. Have to pick India on this one. They seem much more like they are just trying to do their best and much less nefarious.

  8. #48
    Merely a Setback JohnBrown1917's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2011
    Location
    Обединени социалистически щати на Америка
    Posts
    26,919
    Quote Originally Posted by cubby View Post
    Interesting question. Have to pick India on this one. They seem much more like they are just trying to do their best and much less nefarious.
    Aside from electing a fascist and all that.
    Quote Originally Posted by Milchshake View Post
    it’s mostly a syndicalist fantasy that “the workers” are going to rise up, which is disconnected from the fact that “the workers” are your racist uncle and jerk co-workers who you don’t like.
    Quote Originally Posted by Ivanstone View Post
    The election has passed and 58 million working class Americans stood up and proved that they are in fact your racist uncle and jerk co-workers.
    They really can't help but show disdain for the working class.

  9. #49
    Quote Originally Posted by Easo View Post
    It really is, even with half of women being illiterate. Do remember that India has 1.35 billion people and is very close to overtaking China as the most populous country in the world. Second largest democracy is USA, which has "only" 330 million.

    Though as others pointed out - the democracy overall is quite shaky there, with huge contrasts between the big cities and countryside and full of nationalistic fervour/hate/propaganda. Everything from high tech to almost literal middle ages for peasantry.
    India's policy towards Kashmir -- it is disheartening, and disappointing. Understandable, possibly. But it is a policy borne out of fear and nationalism. Even Nehru handled the situation quite poorly. A referendum should have taken place long, long ago. It says something that most Russians overwhelmingly support India. Just as most Indians overwhelmingly support Russia.

    India has taken the moral high ground on many occasions -- it refused to support the Iraq War, it helped fight against the militant groups in Afghanistan even as the Americans supported them during the Cold War, and it aided Bangladesh tremendously in the 1971 war despite tremendous opposition from the United States. Just not necessarily on Kashmir -- solely blaming its neighbors for sponsoring extremism is naive and simplistic at best; most Kashmiris honestly dislike India. India has a long history of wise gurus -- such as the Buddha, Mahatma Gandhi, Tagore, Yogananda, etc. It is sad that most Indians do not entirely heed the lessons of their forefathers, or their ancestral beliefs that inevitably, every action has a reaction.
    Last edited by OwenBurton; 2021-01-06 at 09:44 AM.
    "Always you speak. Never do you listen! You ignore the lessons of Pandaria! You see, there is balance in all things. Wisdom etched in our very fur: Black and white. Darkness and light. When the last emperor hid our land from the rest of the world, he also preserved...our ancient enemy, the mantid. So it is with your Alliance and your Horde. They are not strong despite one another; they are strong BECAUSE of one another. You mistake your greatest strength for weakness. Do you see this?"

  10. #50
    Void Lord Doctor Amadeus's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2011
    Location
    In Security Watching...
    Posts
    40,637
    I hate the caste system but outside of that I have no dog in the fight.

    Not my monkey not my circus.

    If I had to I guess China if all things are equal because why not.
    #ANTIFA "Intellect alone is useless in a fight...you can't even break a rule, how can you be expected to break bone" Khan Singh

  11. #51
    Quote Originally Posted by Doctor Amadeus View Post
    I hate the caste system but outside of that I have no dog in the fight.

    Not my monkey not my circus.

    If I had to I guess China if all things are equal because why not.
    The caste system has long since been abolished. China is a more developed and modernized country -- but its population is predominantly clustered around its eastern parts, unlike India. Both China and India have allegedly supported militant groups and their activities in their neighboring countries in the past, India more recently -- ostensibly to help them fight oppression -- India also constantly alleges covert Chinese support for activities in Kashmir and other parts of their country.
    https://books.google.com/books?id=GX...nistan&f=false
    Last edited by OwenBurton; 2021-01-13 at 01:39 PM.
    "Always you speak. Never do you listen! You ignore the lessons of Pandaria! You see, there is balance in all things. Wisdom etched in our very fur: Black and white. Darkness and light. When the last emperor hid our land from the rest of the world, he also preserved...our ancient enemy, the mantid. So it is with your Alliance and your Horde. They are not strong despite one another; they are strong BECAUSE of one another. You mistake your greatest strength for weakness. Do you see this?"

  12. #52
    Quote Originally Posted by Gestopft View Post
    (Tries to decide which one has better food)
    Tough fight but I think India takes it.

    - - - Updated - - -

    Quote Originally Posted by Easo View Post
    It really is, even with half of women being illiterate. Do remember that India has 1.35 billion people and is very close to overtaking China as the most populous country in the world. Second largest democracy is USA, which has "only" 330 million.

    Though as others pointed out - the democracy overall is quite shaky there, with huge contrasts between the big cities and countryside and full of nationalistic fervour/hate/propaganda. Everything from high tech to almost literal middle ages for peasantry.
    Trying to figure out if the second paragraph is about India or the US.
    Quote Originally Posted by Tojara View Post
    Look Batman really isn't an accurate source by any means
    Quote Originally Posted by Hooked View Post
    It is a fact, not just something I made up.

  13. #53
    Quote Originally Posted by Mormolyce View Post
    Trying to figure out if the second paragraph is about India or the US.
    India, of course. USA has issues, but let's not overblow the backwardness it has, especially compared to rural India.
    Quote Originally Posted by Shadoowpunk View Post
    Take that haters.
    IF IM STUPID, so is Donald Trump.

  14. #54
    Quote Originally Posted by Easo View Post
    India, of course. USA has issues, but let's not overblow the backwardness it has, especially compared to rural India.
    A strangely fair point.
    Comparing the most backwards of rural spots, India woukd edge the US in nationalism (naxals in India), religious intolerance, (doing better with Sikhs, not so much with Muslims), and child brides are still far too prevalent, and illiteracy among women are still too high a number at near 40%.

  15. #55
    Quote Originally Posted by OwenBurton View Post
    China and India are Asia's two great superpowers. [/url]
    russia is more powerful
    "You know you that bitch when you cause all this conversation."

  16. #56
    Quote Originally Posted by TheramoreIsTheBomb View Post
    russia is more powerful
    That's not true.
    Americans are the Chinese of the west. The main reason people tolerate them is because they are too big to ignore.

    "Admit nothing, deny everything, launch counterattack." - Roger Stone (Trump's Friend, Ally, and Campaign Advisor)

  17. #57
    Quote Originally Posted by Tuor View Post
    I don't like any of them, but if i had to choose i would suport china, because they didn't use strenght to take macau from Portugal, but india used strenght to take Goa from us, so, china.
    You shouldn't have been in either, honestly. They shouldn't have had to ask to get their land back.

    That being said, if you weren't capable or willing to defend someone else's land you took, why is it bad for them to take back what is rightfully theirs?

    As for the topic, while I do believe India's got some serious issues with Modi and how the country is administered, I'd pick them easily over China.

    China's been infiltrating and financially undermining academia and business in the West for more than 20 years now, and it's not to anyone's benefit but themselves and the billionaires that are colluding with them.
    Last edited by Stelio Kontos; 2021-01-14 at 10:44 AM.
    Rest in Power Aaron Danielson, David Dorn, Horace Lorenzo Anderson Jr., and Jessica Doty Whitaker.
    Artsakh is Armenia.
    Quote Originally Posted by kidkilla View Post
    The Ottomans brought civilization to Greece.
    Oh my...

  18. #58
    I know and have friends from both countries, so I'd say this is 100% directed towards their governments rather than the people.

    China has been terrible about a) IP theft and b) expansionism (including bullying of neighbors).

    The latter with expansionism especially has got much worse over the past 10 years. The Spratly islands were a push by China to claim areas owned by Vietnam and other countries in the South China Sea. They are encroaching on their fishing grounds. China is constantly pushing India on their borders to gain a few extra feet of territory.

    Likewise, they've been horrible about IP theft for ages which is well-known. I disagreed with a lot over the past 4 years of Trump, but pushing back China on IP theft was one thing that I was all for and is badly needed. Many companies around the world sit empty and their employees without jobs because they were driven to bankruptcy after IP theft by Chinese firms that then started replicating their products much more cheaply without any R&D costs.

    Not saying India or Bodi's government is perfect, but China has been shafting neighbors and doing mass IP theft from companies around the world for years. Don't forget as well that it's widely suspected (and the US government has provided evidence) China covertly gave Pakistan nuke technology in 1972 in order to be a check on India's military. Can you imagine India secretly providing nuclear weapons tech to Taiwan as a check on China? Because that's essentially what China did.

    Oh and one more almost comical example of the Chinese government's credibility. About 15 years ago they purchased an old Soviet aircraft carrier from Ukraine. The Chinese claimed it was going to be turned into a floating casino. Under a very strict agreement both parties signed the vessel was to be refurbished to be turned into a floating casino and absolutely in no way would be used for military purposes. As soon as they got the ship, the Chinese reverse engineered the whole ship, refurbished it into a working aircraft carrier, and made it their first Chinese aircraft carrier, totally ignoring any obligations under their agreement. It allowed them to much more quickly overcome problems in aircraft carrier development and it is how they got a carrier in service so quickly. Just something to think about next time your country debates an agreement with them.

  19. #59
    Quote Originally Posted by szechuan View Post
    That's not true.
    But it is, at least military wise. Nukes are hefty argument. Economically? No, of course.
    Quote Originally Posted by Shadoowpunk View Post
    Take that haters.
    IF IM STUPID, so is Donald Trump.

  20. #60
    I only truly support my legs, because they support me.
    Fully support violence in the streets because you're too comfy sat at home in another country behind your PC screen to actually do anything about things you claim to be against Nobody is obsessed with you. Nobody really even cares about you. You're simply the joke that keeps on giving.
    Quote Originally Posted by Pro-Violence/Arch-Angel of Riots/rmfAcc/Rochana View Post
    I admit I'm an absolute lunatic who is in favor of chaos, because I don't like what is currently going on - despite being in a privileged and elated position in this supposed state of "normalcy".

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •