Page 4 of 7 FirstFirst ...
... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by EyelessCrow View Post
    It's a video game, that is an irrational fear and downright stupid. I understand what a phobia is. I was afraid of spiders and very much snakes. I now own 23 tarantulas (including a few VERY venomous ones) and 2 snakes.

If anyone is acting like a child it's you.

Side note, I get very slighty irritated when I see tarantulas flip over when killed. They don't do that, they only flip over when they are molting...so that tarantula you thought you killed is coming back for you, enjoy.
    Mad cuz young?
    My nickname is "LDEV", not "idev". (both font clarification and ez bait)

yall im smh @ ur simplified english

15+ Year Old Account
    Thats awesome. I mean I am not fond of spiders or anything but, that right there a roof of giant spiders and such.. talk about better than a guard dog eh? lol

Oh dear.
    Changing covenant thank you very much.

Whilst I'm a pretty bad Thalassophobe, my fear of it never amounts to more than a spine-tingle in WoW. Despite all of its dark, deep waters. Because I know it's not real and Blizzard's lazy when it comes to filling oceans beyond a point.

Never had any of my Arachnophobe friends call WoW spiders problematic neither, they're just not realistic enough. They have had their phobias trigger in other games though... I think one of them was Skyrim or Elder Swords Online.

Since I love spiders, I'll gladly enter that place with my Necrolord character.

Here's a friendly little Dinopis, ready to scoop ya'll up! ^_^

Quote Originally Posted by ryjkur View Post
    This is the most childish thread I have seen. Afraid of virtual spiders, seriously?
    Ever heard of phobias? Childish?
    I can imagine you going into a facility for kids with learning difficulties and saying "just be stupid lol, this is ez"

Educate yourself, before calling something childish.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Masternap View Post
    And my advice to everyone struggling with this in a video game is this: stop being a pussy.
    You should not be giving any advice if this is what you spit out.

I mean amount of ignorant or plainly uneducated people in this thread is very surprising.

Quote Originally Posted by Masternap View Post
    I have Arachnophobia as well. I'm afraid of spiders to an irrational degree, no matter how small they are. And my advice to everyone struggling with this in a video game is this: stop being a pussy.
    Lol, does that mean that I as a non-Arachnophobia can tell YOU to stop being a "pussy"...?

No, since I'm not a child and I do understand what phobias are. The fear response they bring about, is very much a physical one, seated in the amygdala.

I can actually sympathize with this thread lol back in Wrath during Naxx raiding I don't even think I was a teenager yet and doing the spider wing every week was brutal. I couldn't sit still for an hour afterwards I'd just feel things crawling on me. Eventually I got over it even though I still get a little skittish over spiders irl. Maybe try immersion therapy and go sit in Naxx fighting mobs for a few hours until it becomes bearable

I could never understand this. THis is not the first time I see a post about arachnophobia in wow.
    It is a game. Pixels.

Ah, it might be a bit silly, but as someone else with my own intense phobia that Blizzard has decided to draw on a lot this expac, I can relate to that twinge of fear even the fake versions cause.

Moved to Comics Fury. Rereleased and updated.

Quote Originally Posted by Gref View Post
    I could never understand this. THis is not the first time I see a post about arachnophobia in wow.
    It is a game. Pixels.
    If there was actual reason to be afraid of them, it wouldn't be a phobia. On that note, most real spiders are harmless to humans and aren't particularly interested in them anyway. We don't fly and taste bad.

10+ Year Old Account
    I seen a spider one time and spent half the night tracking it down, catching and releasing it out the window (I don't know if it died from expose, it was a hot summer night) because I that house was too small for the both of us.

I dont get how you can be afraid of spiders ingame . They arent real, not gonna hurt you.

I have strong bee phobia. Like if bee fly into my room. I immidiatly stop doing whatever i do and leave my flat and need to call my brother or some friends to deal with it so i can return home.
    Or if im out with friends enjoying summer and theres bee starts fly close to me (about half meter ) . I start to cry out of pure fear.
    But bee in movie, game, magazine...they arent real, how come you can fear them.

pho·bi·a
    /ˈfōbēə/

noun

an extreme or irrational fear of or aversion to something.
    Just a reminder to those who keep questioning the OPs and other's maturity. Spiders are relatively harmless in real life but the phobia will prevail. Doesn't matter if it's photorealistic, cartoony, attempting to be cute etc. some people will react with unconditional fear. I hope they can at some point overcome such fears, but being judgemental does not solve anyone's phobias.
    The wise wolf who's pride is her wisdom isn't so sharp as drunk.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Gref View Post
    It is a game. Pixels.
    Doesn't matter whether it is real or not, it is whether it resembles the concept in your head that you identify as "spider" closely enough for your brain to be reminded of real spiders. Most of the spiders in WoW don't bother me, despite my arachnophobia, because they're too cartoonish (both in design and animations) to really feel like spiders. Recently however, Blizzard has added spider models that have a lot more spider-like animations and are closer to real spider proportions. The spider mount for example, that definitely trips my arachnophobia a bit thanks largely to its animations. I'd like the spiders to lose the disturbingly jerky motions that remind me of real spiders.

I can deal with spiders in most games, because they usually deviate in proportions sufficiently and/or their animations are too far removed from how spiders move for them to connect with my concept of "real spider".
    Quote Originally Posted by Bigbamboozal View Post
    Intelligence is like four wheel drive, it's not going to make you unstoppable, it just sort of tends to get you stuck in more remote places.
    Quote Originally Posted by MerinPally View Post
    If you want to be disgusted, next time you kiss someone remember you've got your mouth on the end of a tube which has shit at the other end, held back by a couple of valves.

10+ Year Old Account
    Well you could always try and use that as a therapy to conquer your phobia. 1 spider at a time. You know in game you have the tools to easily move aways from them, take them 1 by 1 and destroy the shit out of them with your weapons/spells.

People have phobia therapy in virtual reality with great success, i bet a video game could be a good entry way for therapy.

Never understood the fear of spiders but I guess that's just people being irrational humans.

Scarab Lord
    15+ Year Old Account
    Maybe it's designed for people to learn to cope with spiders? This is a virtual safespace afterall. Or just pick another covenant if you're that bothered.
    If you knew the candle was fire then the meal was cooked a long time ago.

Quote Originally Posted by MrMatticus View Post
    Never understood the fear of spiders but I guess that's just people being irrational humans.
    It's an odd thing. I for instance have no issues with Real life spiders. I mean I don't want one on my lap, but if they are a non dangerous kind I'm more than willing to let them live and kill bugs and other spiders.

That said I have a pretty intense issue with spiders in online games. I have no clue what it is and its generally something I can push through and get more comfortable with. However I won't even remove the spoiler tag to look at it.

It seemed to start with me in SWG with sheer mites and other spider mob on Dathomir. I am naturally a jumpy person so combining server lag of that time + the way it rendered new spawns often left me surrounded by the things not knowing they were there.

In WoW I didn't really have an issue with them until they started to get more realistic in nature, especially on the movement front. I think the first time it really got me was in Terrokar where you do that long quest line that ends with you killing this overly large spider. I didn't see that coming about lost my shit. I only ever did it once and have yet to do it since.

Generally it's just an uneasy feeling I can get through, but sometimes for whatever reason it's a problem.

Quote Originally Posted by WaltherLeopold View Post
    I mean, it is kinda childish to not have outgrown or gotten grips of your phobias by the time you're a healthy adult.

It's not like you can't work on your phobia and manage to overcome it.
    While I agree to some extent, if it was that easy to work on your phobias then I guess people wouldnt have them.

Human psychology is more complex than just simplifying things by either black or white.

I'm not arachnophobic, but I can see, how that would unnerve someone, who is.