Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst ...
LastLast
    if you mine and/or herb, you don't have to do a single side quest or dungeon, as long as your doing plenty of mining and herbing, because you get so much damn exp from it. like 1k+xp each node. kill 12 whatever for 6k xp and 20g, or herb 6 nodes for 6k xp, and make 10x the gold selling it. If you don't mine and/or herb you'll have to do some sidequests, but certainly not every one.

also the alternative for the leveling is dungeons, side quests and fill the bar quests that just feel like looong grinds. I did it a few levels on one of my alts, it was probably technically a little faster to level, but ugh I'm gonna stick to the normal leveling of all my alts.

you do have to do every quest on your first character for the end game progression to unlock

Quote Originally Posted by Antitrauma View Post
    Both preach and nobble are on record stating there is no point rushing to 60 and doing all the SQ. This was said on both Preach and Nobble'marathon stream post launch. So...
    Yes but they were saying there was no rush because they were talking about how Shadowlands was different to Legion/BFA where if you miss a day you could be "behind", It was basically a "Don't stress yourself, chill and enjoy it." comment not a "You have to do all this or you won't hit 60.". Preach made quite a few videos in the build up to launch clearly stating that you do NOT have to go out of your way to get to 60. His advice was A) Do some quests that overlap with the main story and B) IF you already know which covenant you're choosing just clean up that zone for the extra rep. Even then he mentioned getting to 60 just after entering Ravendreth. This was on one of the last videos before Shadowlands was released.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Echocho View Post
    They said that I had to do every single quest and probably grind mobs too in order to get to 60. I've done everything so far and I'm lvl59 half way through the night fae zone. It feels like I've wasted a lot of time doing annoying side quests just to be level cap before I even start the last zone...
    Until about 2 weeks before SL launched, yes, you did have to grind mobs and do every quest, as the XP reward wasn't that much. You'd wind up running out of main campaign quests to do multiple times before hitting the next lvl when the next round of quests unlocked.

Blizzard majorly buffed the XP though, so now you'll hit 60 before getting out of the Night Fae area.
    Quote Originally Posted by Moounter View Post
    I think your problem is a lack of intellect.

for those people asking which streamers, I know Preach was one of them

They said that I had to do every single quest and probably grind mobs too in order to get to 60. I've done everything so far and I'm lvl59 half way through the night fae zone. It feels like I've wasted a lot of time doing annoying side quests just to be level cap before I even start the last zone...
    Literally none of the streamers I watched said this, including the ones everyone loves to hate on, including Preach and Bellular. What they DID say, shortly before the game's launch, is you can't hit 60 doing nothing but the main story, and that you would need to do a little bit of extra stuff - side quests, a dungeon or two, rares, gathering, etc... None of them said you had to do EVERYTHING. Especially since you seem to be just now hitting level cap, so you probably had plenty of rested XP.

Yes, there was a time in beta where the XP was so messed up you pretty much had to do everything, but every source I watched had updated that info shortly before the launch of the game. I have zero recollection of them ever saying mob grinding was necessary, but I could be wrong on that point.

You also should've been able to get a feel for it. I was 57 by the time I finished Maldraxxus, doing most of the side quests I came across (not going out of my way to find them) in both zones and knew I was more than capable of ignoring side content in Ardenweald and Revendreth. There was no way I wasn't getting 3 levels out of those 2 zones, lol.

10+ Year Old Account
    Who? What streamer said this? Leveling paths have been discussed pretty in depth, the expac has been out for a month.

Let that be a lesson.
    Don't listen to streamers or beta testers. Those same people said frost mage was king, and now its bottom tier trash.

Repeat after me:
    I will not listen to streamers

They said that I had to do every single quest and probably grind mobs too in order to get to 60.
    They didn't say that OP ... they said to do all the main storyline quests, not every single quest.

Challenge Mode : Play WoW like my disability has me play:
    You will need two people, Brian MUST use the mouse for movement/looking and John MUST use the keyboard for casting, attacking, healing etc.
    Briand and John share the same goal, same intentions - but they can't talk to each other, however they can react to each other's in game activities.
    Now see how far Brian and John get in WoW.

I'm not one to defend streamers, but things changed all the way to the last 2 weeks before launch with the XP.
    You cannot blame them for being uninformed.

Quote Originally Posted by Asrialol View Post
    Preach is the last person people should watch.
    Preach is one of the good ones. He speaks honestly and knows what he is talking about.

He has never lied.

Turns out that if you don't do any dungeons or other activities, and ignore side quests, then you hit level-gated quests at various points and will have to go grind up (dungeons, side quests) about 3/4 of a level before you can continue with the main story quests.

So while doing just about any additional content will avoid this issue, I ran into it and it was annoying.

Quote Originally Posted by mhdoe View Post
    Streamers are just for entertainment they are usually average players with basic skills who have a ton of help from their community. It has never taken every single quest in any expac.
    Well to be fair to them it did take a lot more than the MSQ on the beta for a very long time, basically completing every side quest too. I should know I got in on the very first invite wave.

It was only about 1 month before blizz upated the level xp.

It is not that the streamers/youtubers lied or were wrong. It is simply that the content they put out on it was old and that stuff had changed close to release.

The OP was simply following out dated information.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by schwarzkopf View Post
    They didn't say that OP ... they said to do all the main storyline quests, not every single quest.
    The OP was most likely watching videos from very early on the beta cycle. Early in beta you did have to do all that. But blizz adjusted the numbers close to release.

10+ Year Old Account
    Don't use streamers as a font of knowledge, most popular ones has zero clue what they're talking about.
    Quote Originally Posted by bizzy View Post
    yeh but lava is just very hot water

That is why you should play the game YOUR WAY and stop listening to youtubers, especially during alpha or beta. They're pretty much just spewing up shit to get views.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by arandomuser View Post
    you do have to do every quest on your first character for the end game progression to unlock
    No, you don't. If you mix in a few dungeons, you can skip every single side quest without having any impact on your end game progression.

Quote Originally Posted by GMZohar1 View Post
    for those people asking which streamers, I know Preach was one of them
    He updates the video saying you didnt.

Very....very...early on the beta cycle yes you did. (I was in beta). Near the start of beta in order to hit lvl cap you HAD to do the MSW and ALL SIDE QUESTS. However about 1 month before SL released blizz did a massive rehaul on the levelong xp. Preach created a video after this saying you really only have to do the MSQ now maybe with 1 or 2 dungeons..maybe.

Bloodsail Admiral
    3+ Year Old Account
    The OP is referring I think more to information that was shared in beta. Those numbers are tweaked all the time, so maybe in August on beta that was the case. In fact WAY too much attention was spent on people claiming the sky was falling on beta with dps numbers, opinions on content that was still being worked on, this incorrect info about how long it took to get to 60, etc. and that lead to some confusion with casual players when as expected much of that changed before release.

Apart from that as a player you have to use your own noggin a bit too. Simple math tells you that if you have to go 10 levels and there are 4 zones in Shadowlands to do it in, expect about 2.5 levels per zone. So if you're working in Ardenweald at 58 or 59 and haven't even touched 2 zones yet, well before that you would or should have realized that you could have moved to the next zone regardless of what anything you saw on a stream or Youtube video.

Also, in the end whatever zone you quest the most in really doesn't matter anyway (other than maybe rep/covenant considerations). If you choose to get to 60 by never leaving Bastion you technically can. The OP just choose to level in a fairly inefficient way. When I did an alt to 60 with Threads of Fate I did much more leveling in Bastion and Ardenweald just because I found it faster and easier than Revendreath and Maldraxxus.

10+ Year Old Account
    You were today years old when you learned an important life lesson:

The loudest, most popular voice is not necessarily the most qualified voice.

7+ Year Old Account
    because they were talking EVERY SINGLE MAIN QUEST
    you are doing every single QUEST including side quests.
    Quote Originally Posted by WowIsDead64 View Post
    Remove combat, Mobs, PvP, and Difficult Content

Oh look, another "Streamers are bad" thread which can be easily translated into "I put no effort in to finding up-to-date information a month into the expansion and am blaming other people for my stupidity."